Thread: Two Year Old Boy Grabbed By Gator at Disney Resort

Two Year Old Boy Grabbed By Gator at Disney Resort

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/all...ida/index.html

It's a man made lake. Why were there gators in it? This happened last night around 9:30 and early this morning they were searching for him saying they were holding out hope he was still alive. No way. Once that gator got a hold of that kid, the kid either drowned or the gator broke his neck/spine. Now they are calling it a recovery effort. I feel so bad for the parents. They tried to grab their kid away from the gator.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cinister09 Guest
    I've been following this since the news broke in the UK. I find it odd that it is, as you say, a man made lake and yet there was a gator in there. I read somewhere it is a common thing as they can find their way in. Heartbreaking situation. The family must be traumatised. Truly horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/all...ida/index.html

It's a man made lake. Why were there gators in it? This happened last night around 9:30 and early this morning they were searching for him saying they were holding out hope he was still alive. No way. Once that gator got a hold of that kid, the kid either drowned or the gator broke his neck/spine. Now they are calling it a recovery effort. I feel so bad for the parents. They tried to grab their kid away from the gator.
    You have to remember, Central Florida has a very large series of lakes....crazy thing is that where I live in Volusia, If a gator is in a residential area it is killed...period. Seen it done many times. Why they did not have signs up or fences is beyond me. I smell a huge lawsuit in the works.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    You have to remember, Central Florida has a very large series of lakes....crazy thing is that where I live in Volusia, If a gator is in a residential area it is killed...period. Seen it done many times. Why they did not have signs up or fences is beyond me. I smell a huge lawsuit in the works.
    There were No Swimming signs up. Where there's water gators will find it. I've read about them being found in swimming pools. One come up here to North Ga every so often. They are either caught or they die come winter.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I was talking with my room mate and we were saying how gators find water no matter what. I lived in northwest Florida up until recently and there were gators but it wasn't a big problem. I feel so bad for the parents. What a nightmare. I agree with Mcafgr....HUGE lawsuit coming. Although it's kind of a freak thing because normally gators won't bother you. Either that gator was really hungry or there were eggs nearby.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

navallint Guest
    This is heartbreaking. I really feel for the parents, but where were they. A 2 year old is a baby, toddling around but one of the parents should have been right there next to the water with it or up on the beach. I couldn't live with myself if this happend to my baby. I not being mean, just can't wrap my head around how it happened. Maybe they looked away for a brief moment and the gator lunged for the tot? I don't know jack shit about gators.

I just can't imagine. Oh my.....only 2 years old. I have my doubts they will recover anything.

I see they are catching all gators in the area....trying to find remains. I have no idea if they stay in a area where there is food or if they move on.

CNN is reporting the child's body has been found.
    Last edited by Leasie; 06-15-2016 at 01:04 PM.

luckyinlove Guest
    This article has some pictures and a better description of the lagoon. It's much larger than I expected
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/all...isney-florida/

Grew up in Florida and can tell you that if we had gone near any water without our parents we were in BIG trouble! It is common sense that if you are in Florida that there will be alligators. Don't see the parents being in the wrong, but to file a lawsuit is ridiculous.

This is a man made lake and quite large. Gators will travel miles to meet up with other gators or look for better water and a food supply. Gators usually keep to themselves, but nighttime is feeding time and a toddler is a little person. They will attack what they can eat - especially in the water. I have heard a few accounts that the gators had been fed by tourists and then another account that the child was not actually in the water. I don't know how much of this is true, but it is a terrible shame all around. Simply heartbreaking.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Horrific past few days for Orlando, my prayers are for all the families who lost a loved one. Very sad.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

luckyinlove Guest
    They found his body whole. Guess the gator wasn't hungry?

The problem all stems from the environmentalist who went overboard with animal protection. Instead of limiting gators to certain uninhabited areas and shooting those who roam beyond those, as was done in the past, they now allow them in any waterway. Now, I know this was done when gator skins brought big bucks and hunters went overboard with greed in the wild, but today it is human hides that are in danger of disappearing.

Hel_Eljudnir Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    This is a man made lake and quite large. Gators will travel miles to meet up with other gators or look for better water and a food supply. Gators usually keep to themselves, but nighttime is feeding time and a toddler is a little person. They will attack what they can eat - especially in the water. I have heard a few accounts that the gators had been fed by tourists and then another account that the child was not actually in the water. I don't know how much of this is true, but it is a terrible shame all around. Simply heartbreaking.
    Feeding alligators in illegal http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/ma...tor/education/ I wouldn't be surprised though if tourists had been feeding it, when I was in that area years ago , some fellow tourists in the motel area we were staying in got some of those kid's size Mcdonalds hamburgers and fed them to a gator in a nearby pond. They were going to use the excuse they were feeding a turtle who was also in the pond my memories of being around gators around there is pretty much they won't bother you if you don't bother them.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Horrific past few days for Orlando, my prayers are for all the families who lost a loved one. Very sad.
    Yeah the past week and a half Orlando has been hit hard.

This thread didn't belong on Police Blotter, because it was not a crime.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Even though it is a man made lake there are still creeks and streams that go into it from all over. My mother lived in Florida no where near water and she looks out the window and sees a gator sitting nicely on the corner house's driveway. The kid was wading in shallow water but at 9:30 at night? The resort has been warned time after time about the suites by the hotel room that are lagoon side feeding the gators as they swim by. If I saw the pic right the grass ends and there is a small decline to the water. Just such an awful tragedy due to the mistakes of so many and now a child is dead.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

I thought it was a known fact that gators will gravitate towards any body of water, especially in Florida where they are as common there as lizards are where I live. No way I would let my 2 year old play in water especially at 9:30 at night when alligators are feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    They found his body whole. Guess the gator wasn't hungry?
    Gators like to stash meals until corruption softens them up a bit. The parents were in the wrong but I don't think it was intentional. They were from Nebraska and had probably heard but didn't realize how prolific the Gator population has gotten. The attack was at night and you can damn sure bet they had their phone cameras out and taking pics and vids of the Fireworks and everything else. The father grabbed the child after the attack started but you ain't going to win a tug of war with that critter. That body design has lasted them for eons because the design works so well. It's time for Disney to get more stringent about the signage and possibly erect fencing that would only be open when there are active gator watching life guards on duty. I think Disney will have to fork out some cash and a non-disclosure agreement and there will be changes at the park.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

We like to swim in the natural springs here in Florida. Gators are there and it is always good to be aware. I have always seen signs with warnings. However, during the day the gators tend to stay away from crowds and noise and the such. They would rather lay out in the sun so that they can collect energy for their feedings in the evenings. They also do not like to be around a lot of people. They are born with a natural fear of people. One of the biggest problems that I am seeing with what happened with Disney was a little person was near the water at night. Gators will grab what they can eat. Depending on the size of the gator, a toddler could very well be just the right size, unfortunately. I was listening to the radio and they were saying that there were gators being pulled out of that area ranging in size from 5' to 7'. Seven foot is a big gator, but there are bigger ones out there. It is difficult to keep gators out of water here. You really need to have someone who knows what they are doing to deal with them.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Seven foot is a big gator, but there are bigger ones out there. It is difficult to keep gators out of water here.
    I was fishing one time on the Myakka river when we came across a little fork in the river. On the left side there was a gator so big that his head rested on the left bank and the tip of his tail was on the right bank. He had to be 12 - 15 feet long.

Probably a bull gator. There tend to be more females around here because the sex of the gator is based on the temps outside when they are in the eggs. However, we've got some bull gators that will travel a long way to find some romance during the mating season. They are LOUD during mating season.

We stay at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian a few times a year.

Disney really does not have many warning signs. They have no swimming signs, not many...and no beware of alligators. The lagoon is very peaceful and set up to look like a beach. They play outdoor movies on the beaches for the kids to watch at night. Families with little kids play and watch the nightly fireworks from the hotel rooms and the beaches. That is why many people stay and pay so much to stay at these beautiful hotels.

It is also very dark down by the lagoon at night, and there are tons of weeds right up to the beach. Alligators can come right up to the edge of the water and just stick their eyes up through the water. You would never see the alligator until it is too late! I have lived in Florida for a while now, we all know the dangers of alligators. A family from the north would not even think about gators, plus the fact that it is Disney...should be safe. And Disney really is very safe for the most part.

When I heard tonight that the family is not going to have criminal charges pressed against them....I was pissed! They did nothing wrong! They were not swimming....I have splashed in that lagoon many times when my son was young...along with numerous other people.

The picture I posted is from our room at the Polynesian...very peaceful yes....just like a calm beach. If you look to the left you can see the beach area where the boy was taken. There are lounge chairs right at the waters edge. Disney was well aware of the alligator situation. It's really just amazing to me this has not happened before now.

I can only hope this family, these parents, can somehow get through this. I can not even imagine what they are going through.
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My wife and I had to go to Florida for a couple of weeks for legal matters dealing with her mother. Her mothers house had no water. We had to do laundry one day and we went to a hotel so we could watch tv (no tv in the house) and take a shower to feel human again. We snuck into the hotel and there was this elderly island woman I completely fell in love with took us to the laundry room. I didn't want to sneak out thru the lobby so we snuck thru the laundry exit which was right by a swampy area saying to beware of gators. My wife almost had to redo my undies after I saw that and believe me that was one hell of a long walk, constantly looking behind me.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Looks so peaceful. I guess another false sense of security is the way that it is setup to look like a beach. Living in Florida as long as I have, I guess that I would think of the ocean when I see sand. I don't always think of a freshwater pond/lake. I really don't see how someone could think of charging the parents. Haven't they suffered enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post

We stay at the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian a few times a year.

Disney really does not have many warning signs. They have no swimming signs, not many...and no beware of alligators. The lagoon is very peaceful and set up to look like a beach. They play outdoor movies on the beaches for the kids to watch at night. Families with little kids play and watch the nightly fireworks from the hotel rooms and the beaches. That is why many people stay and pay so much to stay at these beautiful hotels.

It is also very dark down by the lagoon at night, and there are tons of weeds right up to the beach. Alligators can come right up to the edge of the water and just stick their eyes up through the water. You would never see the alligator until it is too late! I have lived in Florida for a while now, we all know the dangers of alligators. A family from the north would not even think about gators, plus the fact that it is Disney...should be safe. And Disney really is very safe for the most part.

When I heard tonight that the family is not going to have criminal charges pressed against them....I was pissed! They did nothing wrong! They were not swimming....I have splashed in that lagoon many times when my son was young...along with numerous other people.

The picture I posted is from our room at the Polynesian...very peaceful yes....just like a calm beach. If you look to the left you can see the beach area where the boy was taken. There are lounge chairs right at the waters edge. Disney was well aware of the alligator situation. It's really just amazing to me this has not happened before now.

I can only hope this family, these parents, can somehow get through this. I can not even imagine what they are going through.
    This actually looks pretty tempting.

Disney is installing fences as we speak........and shutting the barn door at the same time.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

Yes, I read that they are installing fences. It is really rare that alligators do attack people. Sad as it was, I think that those alligators were getting fed by tourists. Mcafgr, it's been a rough week in Orlando They say that things happen in threes. I hope that this was the third and final major event. If anything, it is bringing us all closer together.

Yes, I read that they are installing fences. It is really rare that alligators do attack people. Sad as it was, I think that those alligators were getting fed by tourists. Mcafgr, it's been a rough week in Orlando They say that things happen in threes. I hope that this was the third and final major event. If anything, it is bringing us all closer together.

You got that right......It has been very rough for a lot of folks.....Let's hope the worst thing that happens is a cat 1 hurricane ...I need a new roof We had 2 gators at our retention pond when I was managing Lowes, the idiots in receiving use to feed them donuts every morning. I called Fish and game, they came out, the gators came right at them, thinking donuts, and they both got a single 30/30 to the head......wish I had the skins. Would have made some great boots.
    March 1934-July 2016

I actually feel bad for the gators. They are in this monstrous body with a brain the size of a walnut. Their lives consist of eat, sex, beware of predators, get some sun, repeat. Kind of a simple life. I've been in plenty of areas where there were wild alligators who were never fed by humans. They could be good sized gators and jump into the water as soon as they see people. Crocodiles.......they are a different story.

Disney is going to write a hell of a big check for this family, and whomever said they're installing fences right this minute is correct. The sign they had said no swimming but didn't mention aligators or that type of thing.

I don't think I would be able to face the next day i I saw my child eaten by a gator.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

The little boy was found intact, so it sounds as if the alligator did drown him. I can't imagine how absolutely awful. There is a fenced- in little retention pond next to our Cracker Barrel. Some friends parked by the retention pond and then ate at Cracker Barrel. When they came out to their car, a baby alligator came up to the fence and tried to attack them. I've worked with both baby alligators and crocodiles at our zoo. The baby gators were always afraid of us. Sounds as if the retention pond gators had been fed. Cracker Barrel had a sign warning people of alligators.

The little boy was found intact, so it sounds as if the alligator did drown him. I can't imagine how absolutely awful. There is a fenced- in little retention pond next to our Cracker Barrel. Some friends parked by the retention pond and then ate at Cracker Barrel. When they came out to their car, a baby alligator came up to the fence and tried to attack them. I've worked with both baby alligators and crocodiles at our zoo. The baby gators were always afraid of us. Sounds as if the retention pond gators had been fed. Cracker Barrel had a sign warning people of alligators.
    I'll bet some stupid morons probably take their leftovers just to feed them. Good way to get the animal and people killed.
    Minerva

I'm sure that is what happened. Especially so close to a tourist spot at a restaurant. Glad that Cracker Barrel did have a sign warning people of alligators, but for a baby gator to be that aggressive - someone had to have fed it.

People get bears killed the same way. Feeding them when they shouldn't. Feeding wild animals like that....eventually one of you is going to die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why in the hell would people feed gators? I can see feeding cute little ducks and geese and such, but gators? No thanks.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Why in the hell would people feed gators? I can see feeding cute little ducks and geese and such, but gators? No thanks.
    For the same reason they feed bears--they are stoopid.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The parents are NOT going to sue Disney - the lawyers are not happy:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/20/us/dis...igator-attack/

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    The parents are NOT going to sue Disney - the lawyers are not happy:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/20/us/dis...igator-attack/
    Disney settled this quietly as I would have expected. I suspect the family received quite a bit of money but I'm sure they would give it and everything else they own to have their baby back. RIP
    Minerva

some more details - the father tried to free the kid from the jaws of the alligator:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...alligator.html

Oh my. Sounds to me like he tried his best to save his baby. I just can't imagine.