Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reporters shot live on Air

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Poor situational awareness. I don't care what your job is. Always beware of what is around you. All motion in your vicinity may be something out to get you. No disrespect toward the victims or their family. It's a batshit crazy world out there, always be aware.

Yes, I am a bit paranoid but I am what life made me.
    I was thinking about this too when I watched the video but reporters out in the field are not supposed to allow their attention to be taken away by things happening around them. They're supposed to block it all out and do the story. This is so sad and I don't believe any of the shooter's allegations of abuse of ANY type.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

human Guest
    he was probably a victim of workplace bullying ... dosen't excuse it but it gives him a certain degree of credibility ... that's the proxy logic used by the military
    Last edited by human; 08-26-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    I hope he burns in hell too, but nobody was suspicious of a former employee showing up to an interview like that?
    I don't think they even saw him. It might have been just her and the cameraman. They were obviously focused on the lady they were interviewing, and as someone else stated, they are trained to tune out distractions and people gathering around and all that. I've seen many live shoots here in downtown and it's usually just the reporter and the one cameraman.

Does anyone know when he was fired from the station? This report says it was "several" years ago, but there are claims he worked with the victims, one was only 24, she couldn't have been a reporter that long, 3 years, maybe 4 if she graduated really early. Several to me means at least 5 years ago, but I guess they are just using a general term. A couple years would be 2, a few, 3, but several?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/26...w-in-virginia/
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 08-26-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I was thinking about this too when I watched the video but reporters out in the field are not supposed to allow their attention to be taken away by things happening around them. They're supposed to block it all out and do the story. This is so sad and I don't believe any of the shooter's allegations of abuse of ANY type.
    I couldn't be a reporter. might have too add an extra person to film crews just to be the eyes and ears of the more focused employees.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I don't think they even saw him. It might have been just her and the cameraman. They were obviously focused on the lady they were interviewing, and as someone else stated, they are trained to tune out distractions and people gathering around and all that. I've seen many live shoots here in downtown and it's usually just the reporter and the one cameraman.
    Thank you for clearing that up, I can totally see where they would need sort of a tunnel vision to do their jobs, and when the video cuts to the newsroom, you see that poor woman's eyes, and she very quickly composes herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Just saw a version where he says it the first time he points the gun at her before he lowers it. I also found this....
    Deathhag in me wants to see the rest of the pictures, like where she ran to and finally fell.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I couldn't be a reporter. might have too add an extra person to film crews just to be the eyes and ears of the more focused employees.
    I don't think that's a bad idea. Yes it will cost them more manpower but it'd be worth it with the crazies out there trying to make a name for themselves and the increasing disappointment with the media in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up, I can totally see where they would need sort of a tunnel vision to do their jobs, and when the video cuts to the newsroom, you see that poor woman's eyes, and she very quickly composes herself.
    That just haunts me, that look on her face for those few moments. I kept going back to watch it. I can't imagine what was going through her mind. She was a real professional though, she did compose herself rather quickly.

cyn, I know your message wasn't to me but I apologize for my double post in this thread. I don't know how to edit in a quote, so I made a second message. That's the only time I do that.

Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    he was probably a victim of workplace bullying ... dosen't excuse it but it gives him a certain degree of credibility ... that's the proxy logic used by the military
    That's all fine if you are bullied and you think that someone is the cause of your mental anguish, you sue them, you don't shoot them and somebody that has never even met you. That lady they were interviewing could have been the biggest advocate of human rights and supported the LGBT community and you just shot her. Sorry but if you are that hurt that you actually write a manifesto and send it to your ex employer then you are nuttier than squirrel shit. I read on another forum in a post by a lawyer and he said he's had experiences with people who write manifestos and usually you can determine their mental status by how long it is, the longer = more nuttier.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Deathhag in me wants to see the rest of the pictures, like where she ran to and finally fell.
    Me 2

I think she glanced at him. If you watch the video he recorded, you can see her look in his direction very quickly and then turn back. I believe they were so hyper-focused on the job at hand, that they didn't pay him any mind. There are a lot of people that like to pop into news frames, and at that point in time, would have absolutely no reason to think that anything would be odd. Him aiming the gun straight at her though is what is like whaaat??? Their brains were not at all thinking that they were in any danger, and it was day to day stuff and stuff.. What a shame. I honestly don't see how they didn't see him, I just don't think they realized he was a threat.. That gun pointing though.. I'm honestly baffled..

I have to agree with both points. I want to see the rest of the video and or pictures, and definitely, anyone writing manifestos is not in good mental health, and I totally believe the longer, the crazier. They tend to be the people who only see the bad in the world, and waste their time with manifestos and revenge instead of doing something to help the situation. Maybe they feel there is nothing that can be done, but still that's no excuse to go and kill innocent people.

For my Juvenile Justice class I am thinking about doing some volunteer work mentoring juvenile offenders. It's only an hour a week with the kid plus a once a month get together of all the volunteers and all the kids being mentored. I don't know why this fits in here, but our teacher said that having a mentor even an hour a week has shown to really help these kids to keep from re-offending as adults. Hopefully I can do a little bit in the world and save someone from going down this crazy road by letting them know there are people who care and who have been there and turned their lives around too.

oops RiotBoots snuck in there. I too don't understand how they didn't see the gun, but like it was said before, must have been tunnel vision. She probably saw his face, didn't register it, thought he was gonna try and get in the shot like some jokers like to do and did her best to ignore him. If it had been several years and she only worked with him a couple times (the cameraman was only once from what I gather) she might not have even put it together. I said this before too, it's odd that he had the gun so close, but didn't shoot right away, that's why I think he was upset that she didn't seem to recognize him, he wanted her to know he was the one that was going to kill her.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 08-26-2015 at 05:05 PM.

the reporter has something black around her leg - beneath her left knee. what the hell is it ??

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    the reporter has something black around her leg - beneath her left knee. what the hell is it ??
    I see what you are talking about. If you pause the video (the one that cuts to the newscaster, not the shooter's video) and move the bar to around :11 or :12 I see what you are seeing, but no idea what it is.

I counted 9 shots in total

I only hear 8, but there were a couple that were so close I could have missed one. I wonder if there were any more after the video ended. I thought one person was shot 6 times, or am I thinking of a different story?

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    I think she glanced at him. If you watch the video he recorded, you can see her look in his direction very quickly and then turn back. I believe they were so hyper-focused on the job at hand, that they didn't pay him any mind. There are a lot of people that like to pop into news frames, and at that point in time, would have absolutely no reason to think that anything would be odd. Him aiming the gun straight at her though is what is like whaaat??? Their brains were not at all thinking that they were in any danger, and it was day to day stuff and stuff.. What a shame. I honestly don't see how they didn't see him, I just don't think they realized he was a threat.. That gun pointing though.. I'm honestly baffled..
    I think she does glance at him - about 18 seconds in - just before he says "bitch"

She must have either blocked that out or not heard it, maybe the mic on his phone was really close to him. I'm sure if she had heard that she would have perked up a bit and paid more attention to him.

I heard 18 shots in his video.

I heard 18 shots in his video.
    on second thought - at least 15.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    most vids have been taken down. but i found this site that has it:

http://www.infowars.com/graphic-shoc...point-of-view/
    she definitely looks at him and then he says 'bitch' and then points his gun at her.

two innocent young people with their whole lives ahead of them. it's horrible.
    I hope *now* we get to say #all lives matter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it's some kind of knee brace.
    For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

What's so good about goodbye, when the best was yet to come?

Regarding the thing she has around her leg, it's wider on the back of the leg, so I guess it's actually a small object strapped to her leg. I'm no expert, but her microphone is wireless, so could it be some kind of receiver or something?

Heavy.com has the 2 videos side by side, which I found interesting:

http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/vester...youtube-video/
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

human Guest
    That's all fine if you are bullied and you think that someone is the cause of your mental anguish, you sue them, you don't shoot them and somebody that has never even met you. That lady they were interviewing could have been the biggest advocate of human rights and supported the LGBT community and you just shot her. Sorry but if you are that hurt that you actually write a manifesto and send it to your ex employer then you are nuttier than squirrel shit. I read on another forum in a post by a lawyer and he said he's had experiences with people who write manifestos and usually you can determine their mental status by how long it is, the longer = more nuttier.
    thats a terrible argument .. all hypothetical nonsense, presupposition and ad hocs

and this was a particularly messed up bit of projection "That lady they were interviewing could have been the biggest advocate of human rights and supported the LGBT community and you just shot her."

lol ... where's your head at Thedude ?

haven't you learned that there are no moral truths ?
    Last edited by human; 08-26-2015 at 07:35 PM.

Are you saying you agree with shooting innocent people because you feel bullied by someone?

I don't see a problem with TheDude's post. This guy didn't know the lady from anyone as far as we know, she was just in the way. I don't understand anyone trying to justify behavior like this as you are doing, if that's what you are doing. Not trying to be hostile, just trying to understand your point of view.

human Guest
    Are you saying you agree with shooting innocent people because you feel bullied by someone?

I don't see a problem with TheDude's post. This guy didn't know the lady from anyone as far as we know, she was just in the way. I don't understand anyone trying to justify behavior like this as you are doing, if that's what you are doing. Not trying to be hostile, just trying to understand your point of view.
    well thats what happens in war ... and to dispute that definition would mean you have presupposed i have agreed to a social contract
    Last edited by human; 08-26-2015 at 07:58 PM.

He could have at least secured the go-pro a bit better. Watch all the way up to his bullet eating.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

human Guest
    ughhh i got another infraction, this time for being "hostile" ... lol ... ohh well

Want another one for disruption?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

human Guest
    yea why not

Apparently Adam Ward started at Virginia Tech the same year that idiot Cho went on his shooting spree. Interesting connection.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I just have a hard time figuring out the shooters motives when it comes to this crime, it's 2015, Gay couples (cool all for them) are allowed to marry which was a part of his manifesto (well at least the parts of it that was allowed to be leaked by our hard working race/gender baiting media) mentioned both issues when it comes to inner office turmoil with race and sexual orientation. The shooter didn't know the one victim in particular from Adam and while it might be an assumption from me of her supporting either community (African American or LGBT) when it comes down to it, he was about as clueless as I am.

If he would have come out and publicly said that "I'm being discriminated on not only for my race but also my sexual orientation", you know how big that story would have been blown?

Not arguing with you, speaking to you. What's life without a little debate, right?
    Last edited by TheDude; 08-27-2015 at 04:47 AM.

Dude, please do not quote posts that break the rules.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Lilepad336 View Post
    I am the only one who is wondering if this guy was a deathhag (maybe not this group, who knows) but who knows? He filmed his point of view. And made sure the video was posted online. We all, well most of us, want to see the video or pictures, so he made sure that was available. Something just seems like there is more to the story here. This guy wanted to make sure that he was going to be known. And all of us that have seen the video from his point of view will never forget. Can any of us remember what the VA Tech shooter looked like or how he did it with out looking him up? Or the church shooting. This guy knew what he was doing to make sure he will be remembered.
    Eh, if he were a deathhag he would have had the camera running when he did himself in. Which would have been totally awesome by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Regarding the thing she has around her leg, it's wider on the back of the leg, so I guess it's actually a small object strapped to her leg. I'm no expert, but her microphone is wireless, so could it be some kind of receiver or something?

Heavy.com has the 2 videos side by side, which I found interesting:

http://heavy.com/news/2015/08/vester...youtube-video/
    That's just horrible. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by MiraculousMandarin View Post
    Eh, if he were a deathhag he would have had the camera running when he did himself in. Which would have been totally awesome by the way.
    Who's to say he wasn't continuing to film himself? Pretty hard to upload something to the internet when you're dead.

So has the NRA released a statement yet saying that the solution is for reporters to be carrying guns when they're doing interviews?
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Just read another story about this that said Vester was fired in 2013 from the station. There's a picture of him from a news report he did.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/26...oting-suspect/

IMHO he waited to shoot until the camera turned back towards her. He raised the gun and realized the camera man was panning out. He wanted the entire world to see him shoot her live on TV. Can you imagine how long he stalked them to know they were going to be doing the live interview on that day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Just read another story about this that said Vester was fired in 2013 from the station. There's a picture of him from a news report he did.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/26...oting-suspect/
    The more I think about it I am surprised that WDBJ had even hired him at all considering that the broadcast biz is such a rather small community and word does get around meaning that say an anchor has issues, bad enough to lose his/her job their reputation can spread for miles and miles and with the internet/social media the way it is today it just makes it that much easier. When I worked in radio in Virginia we would hear everything even if the incident had taken place at a station hundreds of miles away. If a radio announcer say in Buffalo, New York would throw a punch at his boss and ends up getting fired thanks to the various broadcast gossip sites ( most markets are "served" by one ) it wouldn't take very long at all to reach us in Virginia. With that being said WDBJ just had to know about this guy's troubled employment history...yet they hired him anyway.

Seagorath Guest
    This guy, the killer, was a complete loser from the time he was born. It was etched in his destiny...you can't sugar coat that. He never should have been given air time or opportunities to work at regional stations. This guy should've been sucking dicks for a living.

on a shallow note, that guy was really ugly. he looked like a frog.
    For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

What's so good about goodbye, when the best was yet to come?

41. 08-27-2015, 10:44 AM

Right? He must have stalked them because how did he know where they would be? What a shitbag.

So strange...I have no issues watching gruesome stuff but the screenshot of the reporter's face when she realizes the gun is horrifying. I gotta get brave & watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Who's to say he wasn't continuing to film himself? Pretty hard to upload something to the internet when you're dead.
    We can only hope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Do mind the pedestrian, Richard."
    - Hyacinth Bucket

Though the subject matter is absolutely terrifying, Lynn, the visual is really not that bad. You see her expression for literally a split second, and then she turns around and runs away. You actually hear more than you see, even from the shooter's perspective. I'm as squeamish and tender-hearted as they come, and I've watched it at least a dozen times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Right? He must have stalked them because how did he know where they would be? What a shitbag.

So strange...I have no issues watching gruesome stuff but the screenshot of the reporter's face when she realizes the gun is horrifying. I gotta get brave & watch it.
    the screenshot isn't her face when she sees the gun. that look on her face is after she's hit the first time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Can you imagine how long he stalked them to know they were going to be doing the live interview on that day.
    I wondered how he knew where they would be as well and then I heard that it was a well advertised interview.
    I've never been ashamed to be a white American and I have ZERO guilt and no pussy liberal is going to make me feel I should.
    --McCourt

Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    Though the subject matter is absolutely terrifying, Lynn, the visual is really not that bad. You see her expression for literally a split second, and then she turns around and runs away. You actually hear more than you see, even from the shooter's perspective. I'm as squeamish and tender-hearted as they come, and I've watched it at least a dozen times.
    Whew, ok, Mar. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    the screenshot isn't her face when she sees the gun. that look on her face is after she's hit the first time.
    OMG it is? Dear God.

He also used hollow-point ammunition -- just to be sure. Sick bastard.

Just viewed the video again - I don't see one other person anywhere in the video - not even in the background. I know it was 6:45 am - I guess there were no eyewitnesses.

The Dude - is that a photograph of the cameraman?
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

I agree with you on that. We had an incident here recently where a guy came up and kissed a reporter on the cheek, you could see how stunned she was by it. She was doing her job and focusing on the news story. She later said on Twitter that it freaked her out. The comments ranged from people who were on her side to those who thought she made to big a deal out of it ,and to get over it. I hope those people will take a different stance on their opinion after this tragedy. And yes, I to do not think this guy was abused in any way shape or form.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.