Thread: Planned Parenthood

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest

Planned Parenthood

A bid by the Republicans to defund Planned Parenthood has failed. It has been blocked by the Democrats. Thank God.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...ood/ar-BBlmIBv

Bidmor Guest
    Planned Parenthood contributed $181 grand to Senate Dems in 2014, but that probably had no bearing on their vote.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacg...617&cycle=2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Planned Parenthood contributed $181 grand to Senate Dems in 2014, but that probably had no bearing on their vote.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest

I know it's difficult with your conspiracy theory filled brain but ya think perhaps they donated to the dems because the dems believe in women's health? I mean rather than thinking the dems are doing the bidding for those paying them perhaps people donate to the political party that most agree with their views. Of course pro choice people that advocate for free healthcare are going to donate to democrats. We're the good guys. And pro pollution/anti choice/anti women/racist homophobes are going to donate to republicans.

And 181 Grand is nothing. That couldn't buy you a state vote, much less a US senate vote, much less every Democrat in Washington rotfl If you wanna see how to buy an entire party go check out the Cock Brothers. Koch? However you spell it. They have the Republican party in their pockets.

The only people who want to shutdown Planned Parenthood are
    rich rightwing white men.
    Who seem to hate women.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    We're the good guys. And pro pollution/anti choice/anti women/racist homophobes are going to donate to republicans.
    Resorting to the "we're good, you're bad" argument on an issue that has legitimacy on both sides. I must say, in my whole adult life I have never seen someone so shamelessly blinded and seeped in ideology and I've been around enough blocks to know. Makes me wonder whether you are real.

Pauli, please don't stoop to his level.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I don't see the big deal about them selling or using aborted fetuses for stem cell or any other research that might actually provide an improvement of human lives.

If it helps improve the lives of people who might have been suffering their entire life stuck in a wheelchair or a soldier who comes home wounded and helps them walk again then all power to them.

What's one more body amongst foundations? Especially unwanted ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I don't see the big deal about them selling or using aborted fetuses for stem cell or any other research that might actually provide an improvement of human lives.

If it helps improve the lives of people who might have been suffering their entire life stuck in a wheelchair or a soldier who comes home wounded and helps them walk again then all power to them.

What's one more body amongst foundations? Especially unwanted ones.
    I think the issue is whether there is a profit motive or not. Selling them to cover costs for the purposes you described is legal, selling for a profit is not. PP says they do not do that but then you have a doctor haggling prices and talking about wanting a Lamborghini.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    I think the issue is whether there is a profit motive or not. Selling them to cover costs for the purposes you described is legal, selling for a profit is not. PP says they do not do that but then you have a doctor haggling prices and talking about wanting a Lamborghini.
    Exactly, Pauli.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Personally, I find the whole practice makes my stomach sick. JMO only. Your beliefs are your beliefs.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Personally, I find the whole practice makes my stomach sick. JMO only. Your beliefs are your beliefs.
    Same here.

The way I feel is this: I do not support abortion, unless it is absolutely necessary--BUT--if those aborted fetuses can be used to make life better for others--isn't that better than tossing them twice? Think about it.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-05-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Exactly Cindy. I'd rather see them actually gain some research and knowledge from using dead fetuses to save a life instead of just having them be incinerated.

Bidmor Guest
    A mod told me a few years ago that the subject of abortion per se is verboten here.

A mod told me a few years ago that the subject of abortion per se is verboten here.
    Well, it would be mighty hard not to talk about abortion on a thread like PP, wouldn't it? Starting a topic about abortion is forbidden; but talk about it on relative threads is okay. (The same can be said about suicide.) On condition: flame throws, arguments, and trolling will not tolerated.
    Last edited by cindyt; 08-06-2015 at 01:28 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

really pisses me off that ppl want to get rid of PP. JFC people?? ppl go there for all kinds of things. health care in certain areas, birth control, in which you would think ppl would be happy about. i for one, got on the pill in jr high because my periods were so painful, i wanted to stab myself. my mom didnt have money, so i went there and I got them free. thank god. I was an athlete, and it really sucked that like 2 days out of the month, i was in alot of pain and had to miss games etc. so someone suggested the pill, and OMG...it regulated it and I had no pain. made me so relieved.
    of course, it seems men are leading the charge. go fuck off, mind your own business, and let us women decide what WE want/need to do for our bodies!

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    The way I feel is this: I do not support abortion, unless it is absolutely necessary--BUT--if those aborted fetuses can be used to make life better for others--isn't that better than tossing them twice? Think about it.
    I feel exactly the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    really pisses me off that ppl want to get rid of PP. JFC people?? ppl go there for all kinds of things. health care in certain areas, birth control, in which you would think ppl would be happy about. i for one, got on the pill in jr high because my periods were so painful, i wanted to stab myself. my mom didnt have money, so i went there and I got them free. thank god. I was an athlete, and it really sucked that like 2 days out of the month, i was in alot of pain and had to miss games etc. so someone suggested the pill, and OMG...it regulated it and I had no pain. made me so relieved.
    of course, it seems men are leading the charge. go fuck off, mind your own business, and let us women decide what WE want/need to do for our bodies!
    PP does a lot of good for the reasons you have already stated. The problem is of course on the abortion side. The debate is, and will always be whether the baby growing inside the woman has the right to be born or is it just an extension of the woman's body until birth or close to it. Both sides feel just as strongly about their position. The question of funding is that by doing so, the government is advocating by proxy one position over the other. I have a hard time vilifying either side.

I think the benefits PP offer are great. And as far as abortion--none of my business what other people choose to do. It's the stem cell profit side I don't like.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I also don't have a problem with them using the fetuses for research and hope something good can come out of a bad situation as well. I don't know the ins and outs of the profit thing though, so I can't really comment on that, except that it shouldn't be for profit, but if money helps the organization stay open to help people that's one thing.

I've never had an abortion, but I did have a hysterectomy and I know I had to sign something saying that the hospital could basically do whatever they wanted with the "medical waste" they removed from my body. I assume PP has something similar for those getting an abortion to sign. I'll tell you one thing, knowing how much eggs are worth I often wonder if the hospital used or sold my eggs for fertility purposes. Wouldn't that be crazy? I know I'd never know about it, but if I ever found out, somehow, that'd be pretty dang strange. I know they were viable or whatever you call it because they asked me if I wanted to freeze some for the future (I was 19 when this happened) but it was just too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I also don't have a problem with them using the fetuses for research and hope something good can come out of a bad situation as well. I don't know the ins and outs of the profit thing though, so I can't really comment on that, except that it shouldn't be for profit, but if money helps the organization stay open to help people that's one thing.

I've never had an abortion, but I did have a hysterectomy and I know I had to sign something saying that the hospital could basically do whatever they wanted with the "medical waste" they removed from my body. I assume PP has something similar for those getting an abortion to sign. I'll tell you one thing, knowing how much eggs are worth I often wonder if the hospital used or sold my eggs for fertility purposes. Wouldn't that be crazy? I know I'd never know about it, but if I ever found out, somehow, that'd be pretty dang strange. I know they were viable or whatever you call it because they asked me if I wanted to freeze some for the future (I was 19 when this happened) but it was just too expensive.
    I don't know anything about their money either, but no one in that organization should be able to buy a Lamborghini with their earnings. About your eggs. Wow, I never thought about that. I've never had an abortion or hysterectomy, but I know people who have. That would be weird.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I know funeral directors got into trouble for selling body parts. I just think doing these things under the radar is not ethical. I would also see an ethical dilemma of paying a woman for making baby parts for money. It would go way beyond the choice thing.

Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    I know funeral directors got into trouble for selling body parts. I just think doing these things under the radar is not ethical. I would also see an ethical dilemma of paying a woman for making baby parts for money. It would go way beyond the choice thing.
    I consider it immoral to make profit on fetuses like this. Cover the costs fine but a profit is ethically unacceptable.
    If you have the option to save lives with stamcells or just toss them away, I would rather see the cells being used to save others.

Being from a very "pro-choice" country it is strange to see how people who are pro-life use the freedom of religion to force their beliefs as law upon others..
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    Very well said, and all the best to you.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

the guy who killed three people at a Colorado PP last November has been deemed unfit to stand trial

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/us...for-trial.html

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    the guy who killed three people at a Colorado PP last November has been deemed unfit to stand trial

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/12/us...for-trial.html

Yet he was considered competent enough to own and legally purchase firearms right up until he was arrested for the murders.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Yet he was considered competent enough to own and legally purchase firearms right up until he was arrested for the murders.
    No one gives psychological testing to prospective gun owners. If there is no record, he's good to go. Maybe that needs to change. No reason we can't have the second ammendment but tighten the qualifications where it is so obviously necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulination View Post
    No one gives psychological testing to prospective gun owners. If there is no record, he's good to go. Maybe that needs to change. No reason we can't have the second ammendment but tighten the qualifications where it is so obviously necessary.
    I agree.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.