Thread: "Rowdy" Roddy Piper-WWE

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper-WWE

http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/31/roddy-...estler-cancer/

Cardiac arrest in his sleep. RIP.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

PurrPurr Guest
    Wow, poor guy. Seems like all the legends are passing away.

61! RIP Rowdy. Hope they got some bubble gum up there.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Introvert Guest
    For me, he was always "the man" - his strut down the ramp at WrestleMania I was one of the few occasions I looked at a wrestler and thought he was genuinely "cool".

A couple of personal stories: I'm not particularly one for trying to gain the attention of famous people on Twitter, but on the day I started university (and absolutely shitting myself), I had tweeted a reply to something he had posted. A few hours later, I finally left home and got all dropped off at my halls, and just as I connected to the university internet up popped Hot Rod with a reply and a retweet which, I must admit, calmed by nerves quite some!

Then a year or so ago, he had tweeted about catching up with another wrestler from the golden age of the WWF for "a coke", to which I had oh-so-wittily retorted that "It sounds just like the eighties again". When my phone suddenly buzzed three times with lengthy responses from Roddy himself, I assumed he had taken some offence and was "putting me in my place", but no... He had gone on my profile, saw that I had described myself as "trying to be a writer" or something of that sort, and taken it upon himself to provide tips on overcoming writers block and how he gains inspiration - I always found that a really kind gesture from someone like him to some random guy...

So yeah, he was somewhat "eccentric", but he always came across as a genuinely good man who doted on his kids. There's not many of those in pro wrestling, especially of that era. This one might have shocked me more than any wrestling-related death since Benoit.

RIP

Sincerely yours,
    Upset

RIP good Sir.....Loved the movie by the way
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    RIP

Obviously my fav scene from the movie.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    And I'm all out of bubble gum. RIP Roddy

I looked for his stuff on Always Sunny In Philadelphia but they don't have it on youtube

Bidmor Guest
    I always liked Piper. He had the personality to get over with the audience and the rare ability to successfully ride the middle between heel and face. His smarty giggle and demeanor during interviews and Piper's Pit impressed me as he was having a good time and wasn't taking himself or his persona too seriously. I just watched part of match from 1991(?) between Piper and Flair...two equally talented and entertaining wrestlers. A pleasure to watch.

I hate to hear of his passing. I know he had addictions and that's what brought him back to wrestling for a time because he was broke. Seems that most of the notable wrestlers who hit their peak during the 80's and early 90's end up passing way too young.

Years ago he came into a restaurant that I worked at, a really old IHOP in Dallas. He was by himself and I waited on him. He ordered an english muffin with that cool accent of his.

RIP

We all knew this was coming due to his recent illness. He was a hoot back in the 80's during the WWE's heyday. People getting all enthralled by his villain schtick and actually fighting about it while watching WWE on tv. Folks taking it personally, LMAO.

He always had that crazy high energy crazy fighting. You just knew that if they were real fights Roddy would have kicked the shit out of anyone in the arena. Like if you were to walk into a dark alley with one dude on your side out of all the old wrestlers.... I would have chosen Roddy.

I thought he was the tops when I was younger. Everyone else liked Hogan but I always thought he was a dick and sided with Rowdy because he was Scottish too. It was a few years later that I found out he was actually Canadian. Like Stewart said, you actually believed in him when he was fighting unlike some of the staged stuff that went on and you knew he would have your back.

R.I.P Roddy, thanks for all the good memories.

Don't know if anybody knows this but he was in Saints Row 4 assisting the Boss.

R.I.P. Hot Rod.

RIP RRP..................

Bidmor Guest
    Textbook pro wrestling: Ric Flair and the late Roddy Piper, 1991, two extremely talented wrestlers in physical abilities and showmanship, (I think Piper had as much, if not more, overall wrestler talent as Flair) earning their pay by giving the audience one great show. Roddy and Ric had been friends for many years, going back to their days in the NWA and Georgia Championship Wrestling, so in the ring both knew each others' favorite spots and that instinct of when to call for those spots.

I've watched wrestling with my husband for years, and Rowdy was always one of the guys I liked. He will be missed.

My single favorite Roddy moment. Enjoy!

Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    My single favorite Roddy moment. Enjoy!

HA!! I forgot all about that. So RUDE!!

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    HA!! I forgot all about that. So RUDE!!
    I know, right! LOL
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

The family of Roddy are asking for his fans to have a moment of silence during his funeral next week.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/05/rowdy-...lick#continued

Roddy was hardcore. Be forewarned that this is rough stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHh9Wb--J0M

Cool .12 ga. from They Live!!!!!!...............

RIP Roddy.

I just happened to watch the episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia the day this post went up. He was great on there. I know someone said it's not on YouTube, but if you happen to get the DVDs the episode is called Dennis and Mac Buy a Timeshare, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    RIP Roddy.

I just happened to watch the episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia the day this post went up. He was great on there. I know someone said it's not on YouTube, but if you happen to get the DVDs the episode is called Dennis and Mac Buy a Timeshare, I believe.
    It's on Netflix, Season 9 of the show.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

He was one of my childhood heroes. Right now, I'm looking at his Funk Pop figure on my desk to my left, and an action figure to my right. The action figure is him wearing his panther t-shirt from the first Wrestlemania.

When I was a kid, everyone was screaming for Hulk Hogan. Hulkamania was the in thing and everyone loved him. Except for me. I never saw in Hogan what other people did. He would shout nonsense during his interviews and in the ring he could do maybe five different things. It was all about personality for him. Piper, on the other hand, was amazing. His mic skills were incredible and he was wildly entertaining. His antics were so over the top, the likes of which I'd never seen before on TV. He was in-your-face and fun, and I found myself rooting for him.

In his personal life, he appeared to be a good family man. He loved his wife and his kids. When it came to wrestling, he was extremely supportive in the locker room and a mentor to the young guys coming up in the business. He cared about the business and it showed. My personal opinion is that he was one of the biggest reasons the WWE/F took off like it did. They say that a hero is defined by his villain, and Piper was just that. He helped create the massive thing that's the WWE now.
    "I'm down in this valley where the wheels turn so low
    At dawn I pray to the Lord of my soul
    I say dear Lord, do right by me
    You know
    I'm tired of being lonesome, on'ry and mean..." - Waylon