Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Bidmor Guest
    The Windows update file which contains the nag balloon and W10 downloader is KB3035583. Go to Control Panel then "Programs and Features" (Win7. Maybe same or similar in Win8) You will probably have to click "View Installed Updates" to see list. If you want to get rid of the nag balloon and have no intention of putting W10 on that pc, simply uninstall file KB3035583. You will need to restart system.

If you don't have that file and want it, Google "install KB3035583"...you should find the MS page listed to get the file.

I have received one email, as I mentioned somewhere above, but no nag balloon, perhaps because I have all ads and popups blocked.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

How long does it take for Windows 10 to actually download? I clicked to download Saturday and so far nothing.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Bidmor Guest
    As I understand it, because a new OS is a huge download, MS is doing them in waves. If you have clicked to download, you are put in a queue and you'll get your copy within MS's schedule. Understandably, when your copy begins downloading, it will take quite a long time.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 08-03-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Yeah, they make it sound like the download begins instantly or at least within a few moments, plus they are saying the length of the download is 20 - 60 minutes, depending on how fast your internet is.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Thanks, guys!

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    It doesn't take that long. And you don't start the download as soon as you click the thing. That is just to get you in line for your download. You'll get notified via email when your download is ready to begin. Mine took a day or 2. It only took like an hour to dl, install, and start using it for me.

I'm going to try to hold off on my download until A, Google Fiber goes live, or B, I'm the only one home for an entire day so that my computer can be the only one on the Internet. My ISP is stupid and the more devices you have sharing a connection, the slower the downloads, uploads, streams.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I did my upgrade this morning. Took about 45 minutes. Its pretty cool. Its going to take some time to get used to it. If you don't remember all your passwords for any "favorite" websites you may have bookmarked, you may want to write them down first because it wipes them out. My favorites themselves were able to be imported but not the passwords.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I still haven't got the download icon yet, my brother said I will probably get it when I get the monthly updates in a few days. I know a lot of people who have it and just as many who don't. I don't know, I am seriously thinking of going with Apple.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

PurrPurr Guest
    I got my notice this morning but haven't downloaded it yet. I guess I'm a bit nervous...

I keep all my access filed on google docs just in case my computer crashes or I accidentally delete one off my sticky. I don't know if the sticky app migrates or not, so, if I do decide to upgrade everything will be there on docs.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    I read an article today which stated that, although W10 is free for 12 months, apps such as a DVD player and Solitaire are not...they have to be purchased if wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I read an article today which stated that, although W10 is free for 12 months, apps such as a DVD player and Solitaire are not...they have to be purchased if wanted.
    That's opposite what I read, which doesn't mean doodlysquat.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I have the upgrade scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not sure if I can upgrade Little Bit's, she never did get the little Windows icon in her task bar. I wonder if because her tablet PC is logged in under my Microsoft account, it'll upgrade when I upgrade. She's logged in under me because she wanted a couple of games and you have to be 13 to download from the Microsoft store. When I logged her in as me, so she could get her game, her background changed to mine and on my computer my "lock screen" pic is one of her selfies instead of the tiger pic I originally had. Anyway, this weekend will be an interesting one.

"I just go here!"

PurrPurr Guest
    For anyone updating to Windows 10 in the near future:

Don’t click the “use recommended settings” button that pops up right after it installs. Click the advanced options and actually read through the stuff you can accept to because there’s some creepy stuff like “use personalised advertising”, “send browser history to microsoft” and “automatically connect to public networks” that you may want to turn off.

For anyone who wants to disable all data-logging on Windows 10.

I've been on Windows 10 for about fifteen minutes. So far, I kind of like it. Cortana was easy to set up, I'm happy to see the return of the Start menu, even if it is an updated version. I'm also glad to see the full-page of Live Tiles go away, nobody had time for that. The new browser, Edge, seems so far to be infinitely better than its predecessor Internet Explorer.

Little Bit continues to use IE on her tablet, despite my telling her that it was slower than molasses in January. I downloaded Chrome for her, recommended she use it, but still she stubbornly sticks to IE. I want to upgrade her NextBook, but she didn't get the little icon in her task tray like I did. I'm probably going to have to pull out my technodiva tricks to get hers upgraded.

I'm now searching for drivers for my printer. If I can't find it, I'll just wait patiently without a printer until they're available. I didn't think about OpenOffice that I use for writing....I need to figure something out for that, I might have to switch to another word processing program.

"I just go here!"

I got a question....actually three

When you upgrade to Win 10 do the drivers for the monitor, sound card, graphic card etc automatically upgrade on their own or do you need you need to upgrade all that manually after?

Is it compatiable with itunes/iphone/pads/pods or is that still a problem?

Compatiable with Sims 3?

1. Automatic- at least it was on my laptop.
    2. I haven't plugged my IPOD into my computer yet, but Itunes opened up and seems to be working.
    3. I don't have Sims 3, but I have Sims2 through my origins account. That opens up fine. I imagine Sims 3 will as well. I do own Sims 3, but I like 2 better.

I haven't had any trouble with anything not being compatible yet.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

So far, the only issue I'm having is my printer's drivers not being compatible. I'm in the process now of downloading the Windows 10 drivers for it. I'm actually liking Edge for a web browser. I haven't yet tried OpenOffice.

"I just go here!"

I had that problem with the Lexmark Brittany gave me, so I just let it sit hooked up until I could afford a new one, and then two or three weeks later a window popped up telling me the printer was now ready to use. Might be your case, too.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

PurrPurr Guest
    Windows 10 downloaded and scheduled to start installing while I'm in bed tonight. Hopefully things are up and running by morning.

Upgraded my home computer to W10 Enterprise (too lazy for a fresh install) It's faster, my games run better on it than on W8.1.

So far still happy with it. Didn't bother with Edge, Firefox still runs fine. Just one problem that will be solved in time: The guys at McAfee still don't have a W10 version so running the builtin Windows Security Essentials.
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

PurrPurr Guest
    Everything runs fine on my computer as well. The only snag I ran into thus far is my HP Photosmart 7600 printer isn't compatible with Windows 10.

Finally got me a box of 15 dvd+rw, but had to get it via my local office supply store who ordered them and had them the next day, but charged me $35.00 (10 bucks more than what I'd of paid for should Walmart still be selling them), but hey, I like supporting local businesses, so, no regrets.I didn't order from Amazon because too many items get damaged in the mail, which has been my experience. Not only do I use them in my comp, but even more, in my separate dvd burner by the tv, and thus avoid having to pay that nasty DVR fee. Warning though, folks, should any of you consider buying a burner to record off tv, you'll find slim pickens, because most stores will no longer sell them for the reason that they now contain chips inside to prohibit recording from certain networks. Luckily, mine is 8 years old and still going strong with no damn limitations to deal with.

Bidmor Guest
    MurkyWaters, you are very fortunate to have an 8 year old dvd recorder deck that still operates. Back when they were popular, any given brand wouldn't have that long of a life. Years ago I bought a JVC combo dvr and vcr and used it for about 6 months to transfer vhs and record tv. Then one day it wouldn't boot up. As it was still in warranty, I ended up shipping it to Houston where the firmware was corrected. After its return, for about 12 more months I was able to use it until it developed the same problem again. So I got about 2 years use until it died and of course, would cost as much to have repaired as a new one. It's still sitting by the tv gathering dust. After that, I subscribed to HD tv and the resolution, even on a 32 inch analog tv, was better than the dvd's I recorded. So I eventually went with a dvr.

I totally forgot to mention that my first DVD machine was really bought as a VCR recorder which is what I used it for, not for the simple dvd player that came along with it, but sure enough the tape recorder in it lasted no more than a year and I bought an actual burner this time, with the result that I now had a DVD player/burner and a DVD player with a defunct VCR in it, so I connected the burner to the tv in my bedroom and the player to the main set in the living room, et voila, wear and tear shared by both machines has increased longevity, but I must say that the burner is not called a burner for no reason, because this thing eventually wears out a DVD after about 100 burnings.Not that it won't record at all, but that there will be freezing of the image until eventually the machine will say, "This disc cannot be played".

I installed 10 as soon as I could and I love it so far. I had 8.1 which is what my newest laptop came with and I couldn't stand it! Only problem I had so far was an issue with iTunes the first time in hooked up my iPod, it erased all my pictures (Im anal about having all the artwork on there) but I think that was a different problem that just happened to happen at the same time. Next time I went on Itunes to fix everything I synced everything again and my stuff was almost all back. Everything else has been perfect so far.

I don't even remember what my first computer was but I remember when you could dial up to BBS things, then we got Prodigy (probably around 1991 or so) and e-mails were 25 cents a piece. It wasn't the internet of today, but you could post on boards on different topics. I was on a Kids in the Hall board and some music boards on there. You had to use your real name to post. Ahhh, how things have changed.

I'll upgrade before the deadline, but for now I'm happy with W7 and always have been.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I'll upgrade before the deadline, but for now I'm happy with W7 and always have been.
    I waited until my last manuscript was finished before I upgraded from W7. I liked 7, but gradually getting used to 10.

I'm so glad it's running smoothly for everyone.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    I waited until my last manuscript was finished before I upgraded from W7. I liked 7, but gradually getting used to 10.
    I backed everything up and did not write any more on my book until after the upgrade.

"I just go here!"

I back mine up after every writing session, so it's not that anymore. I'm really just procrastinating now.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It finally showed up after the last major update. So far so good. I'm liking it.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

AnnJames Guest
    I didn't update my window yet so I think now i read enough reviews and upgrade my windows.

navallint Guest
    I've not downloaded W/10. Trying to make up my mind. My BIL sent me this link, so I might wait a few more months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLiozMpqV80

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post
    I've not downloaded W/10. Trying to make up my mind. My BIL sent me this link, so I might wait a few more months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLiozMpqV80
    Aw go ahead and get W10. That lil old keylogger app that comes with it is no big deal. Seriously, when MS snuck in the W10 nagware and downloader file in with regular Windows updates without notification of doing so, that raised a red flag with me.

But on a lighter note, Windows 95 is 20 years old today. Yep, only 20.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/micros...192528654.html

Once a few wrinkles were ironed out, I LOVE Windows 10!

navallint Guest
    Speaking of W/95, I still have my copy...hummmm!

No problems so far. Have everything where I want it, it took a couple of days but I'm used to it now.

human Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    The Windows update file which contains the nag balloon and W10 downloader is KB3035583. Go to Control Panel then "Programs and Features" (Win7. Maybe same or similar in Win8) You will probably have to click "View Installed Updates" to see list. If you want to get rid of the nag balloon and have no intention of putting W10 on that pc, simply uninstall file KB3035583. You will need to restart system.

If you don't have that file and want it, Google "install KB3035583"...you should find the MS page listed to get the file.
    as simple as uninstalling a nag file ... sigh .. i wish women were more like computers

Ran a few more tests and wanted to check Frames per second on a few more games.....Assassins creed 2,3,and 4 all gained about 20 FPS...not bad. Also I noticed I gained about 45GB of free space on my Windows Drive which is a 1TB Intel SSD. I went from Windows 7 Pro to windows 10 pro. Available ram stayed the same at 32GB. Anyone else gain some free space on their Windows Drive?
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Ran a few more tests and wanted to check Frames per second on a few more games.....Assassins creed 2,3,and 4 all gained about 20 FPS...not bad. Also I noticed I gained about 45GB of free space on my Windows Drive which is a 1TB Intel SSD. I went from Windows 7 Pro to windows 10 pro. Available ram stayed the same at 32GB. Anyone else gain some free space on their Windows Drive?
    I checked both WOW and SWTOR but only an increase of 5-10 fps but i suspect that playing with a GTX 550 TI @ 2550x1440 is not the best setup

For the rest, running a I7 3770 @ 4,2 GHz, 24 Gb Ram and EVO 840 in RAPID mode. No performance issues whatsoever, systems runs smoother than under 8.1.

Gained about 1.5 Gb drive space
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by jerryvr View Post
    I checked both WOW and SWTOR but only an increase of 5-10 fps but i suspect that playing with a GTX 550 TI @ 2550x1440 is not the best setup

For the rest, running a I7 3770 @ 4,2 GHz, 24 Gb Ram and EVO 840 in RAPID mode. No performance issues whatsoever, systems runs smoother than under 8.1.

Gained about 1.5 Gb drive space
    You and I are running the same chip, I7-3770K.....Damn I love that CPU.....It has never let me down! Wonder where the saved space is coming from?....Any ideas? I checked and can't find out where windows 10 saved the space.

I am running 2 Gigabyte HD-7950's in crossfire and they are both under water ......maybe that is where I am gaining the FPS. Don't know, but I am not complaining. . That resolution you are running is rough with Windows. A lot of gamers complain about it. Mac uses that resolution with no issues. Maybe dial it down a notch??? Just guessing here.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

PurrPurr Guest
    Here's something I found on another site. Someone installed Windows 10 on a Windows 98 computer.

Windows live tiles are a bit buggy. I turned a couple off and when I went to turn them on they wouldn't go back on. I sought tech support from Microsoft, as did hundreds of others asking the same question. They are working on it they said. Alright, I'll take your word for it. LOL.

I couldn't figure out how to edit/delete "favorites," and searched on line. Nothing worked so on a hunch, I tried to left click and viola! Buttons for everything!
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Got a laptop for Christmas, and I've just got to say, I love Windows 10.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Got a laptop for Christmas, and I've just got to say, I love Windows 10.
    Yeah, it's my favorite since XP.
    I wish there was a way to bypass the images at wake up and go straight to the login screen but there doesn't seem to be. The pictures are great and they often make me want to learn more about those places, but if you click one it launches Edge. Besides, I usually just need to log in a get some stuff done quickly - often no time for messing around.
    I hate the forced auto updates though. And usually with a major Windows update, it decides that my on-board speakers are incompatible, it deletes the drivers and installs some generic crap that at 100% volume isn't loud enough, and it sounds like you're listening to it through a paper bag and with tin cans for speakers. I always have to reinstall my factory HP drivers to set it right.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

50. 02-26-2019, 09:29 PM

Admin Cindy Guest
    Apparently, Microsoft has developed a free WORKS for W10. I ran across some bad reviews.