Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

Discuss.

I'll begin. I reserved it, cancelled, then reserved it again because sooner or later Windows will stop updating the 7 and 8 as they did XP, and after a year 10 is no longer free.

My only reservation--no pun intended--was concern that my files would not be saved and Media Player/playback DVDs wouldn't migrate. The bad news is the DVD playback/Media Center will most def be deleted. The good news is that microsoft has a free media player download and my files will migrate.

Still, I have my manuscript stored online.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...serve_mod1_faq
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

PurrPurr Guest
    Another reason why I keep my manuscripts stored. I hope 10 lives up to the hype, especially now I've been long used to 7.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to back my writings up to the cloud before I upgrade.

What I am looking forward to is the new web browser.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Discuss.

I'll begin. I reserved it, cancelled, then reserved it again because sooner or later Windows will stop updating the 7 and 8 as they did XP, and after a year 10 is no longer free.

My only reservation--no pun intended--was concern that my files would not be saved and Media Player/playback DVDs wouldn't migrate. The bad news is the DVD playback/Media Center will most def be deleted. The good news is that microsoft has a free media player download and my files will migrate.

Still, I have my manuscript stored online.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...serve_mod1_faq
    Cindy.....Windows player is leaving because the codec issues and the fact that their are so many free programs out there that do it better and have a ton more feature.

VLC Media player is one of the best out there. Been using it for years. It also allows me to edit, dub, adjust and change soundtracks etc. Get it and delete the windows version. Take a look......63,000,000 downloads can't be wrong .....Just make sure when installing, you leave out some of the features like free samples etc.

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-P...-10267151.html
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Cindy.....Windows player is leaving because the codec issues and the fact that their are so many free programs out there that do it better and have a ton more feature.

VLC Media player is one of the best out there. Been using it for years. It also allows me to edit, dub, adjust and change soundtracks etc. Get it and delete the windows version. Take a look......63,000,000 downloads can't be wrong .....Just make sure when installing, you leave out some of the features like free samples etc.

I'll give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    Thanks for reminding me that I need to back my writings up to the cloud before I upgrade.

What I am looking forward to is the new web browser.
    You're welcome. I am nervous about the upgrade, including the browser, but then I don't particularly like Yahoo or the others. I prefer google.

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Another reason why I keep my manuscripts stored. I hope 10 lives up to the hype, especially now I've been long used to 7.
    I love 7. It is so much better than XP.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    Well I intend to stay with Win7 as long as I can. I'm used to it and it functions very well.

I'll admit there's a couple of emotional issues of mine against Win10. One is that MS sneaked in nagware for Win10 disguised as a Win7/8 "important" update several months ago. I happened to read about it and deleted/hid those updates so I was spared the little balloon pushing Win10, as some of you may have experienced.

Another is, according to what I have read, once Win10 is installed the user loses any capability to decline any update. So if MS went to the trouble of sneaking in Win10 nagware among legitimate updates, I really don't trust them enough now to accept all updates in Win10.

Call me cranky.

Well, that sheds another light on it. Hmm.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm a 7 user and reserved for the 10 version. Don't know enough to techno speak about it, just hope it works and I don't have a stroke trying to get used to it.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Being a computer builder, I have seen so many times that when MS comes out with a new operating system, the problems that come along with it are huge for the first few months. I would suggest anyone to go ahead and download it, but wait for a few months to let any and all problems shake lose. Also, go to Microsoft and run the Windows 10 compatibility check to make sure all is going to be okay.

As for issues with Word, If have been using the Apache Open Office suite, which is free, and I have NEVER had any problems with finding or editing documents. The good thing with that is that if you know Word, Power Point, etc....then the changeover is seamless.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

navallint Guest
    Same here. Mr Clean, think I'm just too old and set in my ways. My son works IT, he suggested I wait for reviews from all around.

Being a computer builder, I have seen so many times that when MS comes out with a new operating system, the problems that come along with it are huge for the first few months. I would suggest anyone to go ahead and download it, but wait for a few months to let any and all problems shake lose. Also, go to Microsoft and run the Windows 10 compatibility check to make sure all is going to be okay.

As for issues with Word, If have been using the Apache Open Office suite, which is free, and I have NEVER had any problems with finding or editing documents. The good thing with that is that if you know Word, Power Point, etc....then the changeover is seamless.
    I ran the compatibility and it checked out just fine. I can install windows 10 whenever, right? So I might download and install when the kinks are ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post
    Same here. Mr Clean, think I'm just too old and set in my ways. My son works IT, he suggested I wait for reviews from all around.
    I tried open office and ran into a weird butt problem with format. To wit: there was this halfpage blank space between the end of one line and next and I could not fix it. So I deleted it. I am waiting to use WORD when I begin my second draft, but what little I've tinkered with looks good. I also ordered Windows 2013 for Dummies.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

12. 07-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I'm a 7 user and reserved for the 10 version. Don't know enough to techno speak about it, just hope it works and I don't have a stroke trying to get used to it.
    CS...run the compatibility test.....let me know what it says
    March 1934-July 2016

14. 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM

From what I have read ...the operating system will be free for the first year.....so yeah you are right.....give it a few months. I will make a note to shoot you a PM or just a post when I start getting some good reviews about it. Try Open office.......it works great for me and a whole lot of others

Cheers
    I appreciate it.

Would you please combine your posts?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm going to wait and see what everyone here has to say ! If the reviews are good, I'll go for it.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Well I intend to stay with Win7 as long as I can. I'm used to it and it functions very well.

I'll admit there's a couple of emotional issues of mine against Win10. One is that MS sneaked in nagware for Win10 disguised as a Win7/8 "important" update several months ago. I happened to read about it and deleted/hid those updates so I was spared the little balloon pushing Win10, as some of you may have experienced.

Another is, according to what I have read, once Win10 is installed the user loses any capability to decline any update. So if MS went to the trouble of sneaking in Win10 nagware among legitimate updates, I really don't trust them enough now to accept all updates in Win10.

Call me cranky.
    I'd rather see that as the millions of unpatched installations of XP/Vista/7 with crappy free AVG/Avast/etc virus scanners becoming part of a botnet...

95% of PC users should not be involved in applying security updates, it should go automatic. Sticking to an unsafe version of Windows just because you are afraid of change is risking just too much.

My advice: get rid of the older versions and pay for a decent virus scanner..
    Some compare Elvis to God.. I mean He is good, but He is no Elvis

I've got my copy reserved. I'm currently running Windows 8.1. Part of what's keeping me from jumping right in to the upgrade when it's available is school. I've got to retake a couple of basic classes and go from there because technology has changed so much. I'm not sure if my classes will be in 8.1 or 10.

"I just go here!"

I am not one to like change. When my old computer died I looked everywhere for a new one with XP. No luck. I did find several rebuilt on amazon and eBay. No thanks. So I settled with a 7 and I love it. I don't know about 10, of course. There's always pros and cons, and I'm sure it won't be perfect. That's why I'm going to wait and see what happens before I allow installation. As far as manual security scans--I can run scans anytime I choose, but otherwise it's automatic and it's Norton, and it's free courtesy my provider. I need to find out about Norton vs. 10...

I had a chat with Norton and they are releasing a new version compatible with 10. So that's taken care of, at least.

What I should do is cancel my reservation and wait a year and buy it for--what $110, but I could be wrong. But I might not be able to afford it then. So I'm going to set on the download and see what happens.
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-22-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

CS...run the compatibility test.....let me know what it says
    It said this pc is compatible.

Bidmor Guest
    Well, Cindy, I agree with this writer's "9 reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10...yet"

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ws-10-yet.html

They are phasing out desktops apparently and see no need for DVD/CD burners, which the movie industry hated from the getgo, so anybody in future will need to buy a separate burner that comes with recording restrictions on certain copyrighted materials. Result: We are getting fewer and fewer options. Oh, forgot to add that should you buy said burner, you'll find it almost impossible to locate an erasable DVD or Cd, for that matter. I know, because I've tried to buy a pack and they are all one-timers.
    Last edited by MurkyWaters; 07-22-2015 at 08:38 PM.

I don't think so. There were problems with 8 due to the touch screen app and the DVD playback on either or both 7 & 8. And, a windows playback download will be offered for free.

Never the less, I canceled my reservation, because, according to that link, Bidmor, 7 updates will be available for years and if not, I'll upgrade.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

qulevergrrl Guest
    I'm going to order a new computer. I have to wait until the school year starts and I start subbing. I'll have a little more money kicking around then. Once I get my new comp, I won't get one without Win 10. No way. Also, there are still a couple of places with Office Suite installed rather than subscription. I really hate them for doing that. I am a capitalist, but come on. Do you have to be so greedy? I think that will backfire on them.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    It said this pc is compatible.
    Good to go. A suggestion though. If you can pick up a 128GB SSD.....about 69 bucks. Install Windows 10 there and take out the old hard drive that the old operating system is. Put the old hard drive away and hold on to it. This way, if Windows 10 turns out to be a bust, then you can put the old hard drive back in and you won't miss a step. Microsoft has been known to put out programs that turn out to be crap.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by qulevergrrl View Post
    I'm going to order a new computer. I have to wait until the school year starts and I start subbing. I'll have a little more money kicking around then. Once I get my new comp, I won't get one without Win 10. No way. Also, there are still a couple of places with Office Suite installed rather than subscription. I really hate them for doing that. I am a capitalist, but come on. Do you have to be so greedy? I think that will backfire on them.
    Get Apache Open office....it has everything that MS Office suite has plus a few. And it is free!
    March 1934-July 2016

qulevergrrl Guest
    Oh are you sure? I had the online Office the open Office online and it fell far short of having everything. I'm a MOS user. I use everything because I write and I create exams. I also create resumes. I do so many things that I use advanced features and functions in Excel and Word, pivot tables, VLookups, tables in Word, etc.

Oh duh. APACHE lol. It isn't MS. I'm such an idiot sometimes. I have to use Microsoft. I'm working on taking my MCT exams for Excel, VB Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. I want my own training lab for vets.
    Last edited by qulevergrrl; 07-23-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Oh are you sure? I had the online Office the open Office online and it fell far short of having everything. I'm a MOS user. I use everything because I write and I create exams. I also create resumes. I do so many things that I use advanced features and functions in Excel and Word, pivot tables, VLookups, tables in Word, etc.

Oh duh. APACHE lol. It isn't MS. I'm such an idiot sometimes. I have to use Microsoft. I'm working on taking my MCT exams for Excel, VB Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. I want my own training lab for vets.
    You are not an idiot.....not by a long shot. What I do is if I have a file that wants to open with lets say Word. I change the association so that it opens with Open Office Writer. I have NEVER had an occasion that the program will not work. Here is an article that explains any difference between the two. Hope this helps.
    http://www.techsoup.org/support/arti...-vs-openoffice
    March 1934-July 2016

PurrPurr Guest

I downloaded this program just in case...and must say I already love it!

Good deal
    March 1934-July 2016

qulevergrrl Guest
    You are not an idiot.....not by a long shot. What I do is if I have a file that wants to open with lets say Word. I change the association so that it opens with Open Office Writer. I have NEVER had an occasion that the program will not work. Here is an article that explains any difference between the two. Hope this helps.
    http://www.techsoup.org/support/arti...-vs-openoffice
    Thank you so much, but I really do know better. The donger needs sleep! lol. I was just tutoring this group online for the Kenexa programs. If you aren't familiar with them, they are those ridiculous CBT exams that trip everyone up. It doesn't matter what the topic is, they are only minimally interactive, and they really don't test knowledge. They just frustrate users. So I just help people pass the exams. Anyway, some guy came on and called me a brain dead loser because one would have to be to not be able to code. I basically laughed and responded that I never studied coding. Many people in this world don't study coding, and that doesn't necessarily make them brain dead losers. However, when he wrote it, it still stung. It's weird how that kind of thing works. I think it was only because I was the tutor in that session. At any rate, does Window 10 come on all the new computers, for example if I buy a new laptop from QVC (don't laugh, but I have good credit with them), should I expect that to be my OS? Are you expecting it to be super buggy from what you've heard?

Thank you so much, but I really do know better. The donger needs sleep! lol. I was just tutoring this group online for the Kenexa programs. If you aren't familiar with them, they are those ridiculous CBT exams that trip everyone up. It doesn't matter what the topic is, they are only minimally interactive, and they really don't test knowledge. They just frustrate users. So I just help people pass the exams. Anyway, some guy came on and called me a brain dead loser because one would have to be to not be able to code. I basically laughed and responded that I never studied coding. Many people in this world don't study coding, and that doesn't necessarily make them brain dead losers. However, when he wrote it, it still stung. It's weird how that kind of thing works. I think it was only because I was the tutor in that session. At any rate, does Window 10 come on all the new computers, for example if I buy a new laptop from QVC (don't laugh, but I have good credit with them), should I expect that to be my OS? Are you expecting it to be super buggy from what you've heard?
    It really depends on how old the inventory is. You are going to see some great deals on laptops that are still rocking Windows 7 or 8, especially if Windows 10 takes off. So keep an eye on Newegg, Amazon, and Tiger Direct. Most OS's that Microsoft come out with are usually buggy for the first few months anyway. But they are quick with patches and fixes to address the problems. Just make sure you run windows update daily for a while.

As for that idiot that called you brain dead, here is what you do next time. When he calls you a name or doubts your intelligence, look him straight in the eye and say "You are living proof that Indians did have sex with buffaloes".......then with the utmost coolness, just turn around and slowly walk away. That part is important.....the coolness factor. He will never recover. He will be devastated.

Another good one is......"Save your breath, you will need it to blow up your date later"
    March 1934-July 2016

I am not one to like change. When my old computer died I looked everywhere for a new one with XP. No luck. I did find several rebuilt on amazon and eBay. No thanks. So I settled with a 7 and I love it. I don't know about 10, of course. There's always pros and cons, and I'm sure it won't be perfect. That's why I'm going to wait and see what happens before I allow installation. As far as manual security scans--I can run scans anytime I choose, but otherwise it's automatic and it's Norton, and it's free courtesy my provider. I need to find out about Norton vs. 10...

I had a chat with Norton and they are releasing a new version compatible with 10. So that's taken care of, at least.

What I should do is cancel my reservation and wait a year and buy it for--what $110, but I could be wrong. But I might not be able to afford it then. So I'm going to set on the download and see what happens.
    I'm the same way about change, Cindy. I know, ironic because I'm majoring in a field that is changing so fast that the technology being made even as we speak is already obsolete. Craziness. I was dragged kicking and screaming from Windows XP to Windows 7. And again from 7 to 8. Now? Meh, I'll just upgrade and go with the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by MurkyWaters View Post
    They are phasing out desktops apparently and see no need for DVD/CD burners, which the movie industry hated from the getgo, so anybody in future will need to buy a separate burner that comes with recording restrictions on certain copyrighted materials. Result: We are getting fewer and fewer options. Oh, forgot to add that should you buy said burner, you'll find it almost impossible to locate an erasable DVD or Cd, for that matter. I know, because I've tried to buy a pack and they are all one-timers.
    This is craziness. My new computer that I've had for four months didn't come with a CD/DVD burner. I'm going to need to buy one at some point in the near future. How in the world are we supposed to back up files, make physical backups of photos, writings, and other documents? I'm still learning to trust "the cloud" and prefer backing things up both in the cloud AND on CDR/DVDR. They don't want us copying movies that are copyrighted, I get that. But what about FILES? .jpg, .doc, .xls, etc. aren't exactly movie files. I'm just starting to dabble in writing, even though my latest fiction might be good enough to publish, but still. I'm the kind of person who will set up an account in the cloud and promptly forget the password. Thereby needing physical backups of my writings, etc.

Good luck with that. Unless you are willing to buy used/refurbished, (or have your friendly, neighborhood tech geek build you one) once Windows 10 is released all the computers in stores will come pre-loaded with it.

Get Apache Open office....it has everything that MS Office suite has plus a few. And it is free!
    I. Love. Open. Office. That is all.

I had that on my last computer. It was pretty good for playing DVDs when the Windows DVD player decided to quit working.

"I just go here!"

Bidmor Guest
    As far as backing up goes, I'm high on USB portable drives. I own two Seagate Backup Plus Slim drives, one for each laptop. Each has a capacity of 1 Terrabyte, that's 1000 Gigabytes! That's enough space for the average user to never come close to filling. Each was about $100. About every 30 days or so I plug it in, open the little Seagate dashboard, and click back up. The drive then copies new data compared to the previous backup, including files and app settings. Apps themselves are the only items which are not copied. And the drive is physically small enough to literally fit into my shirt pocket. However I never take them from the house...they are sitting on my desk. I prefer external USB drives for backup as opposed to the cloud, which I do not trust.

Both my machines have optical drives but I rarely use them, mostly for ripping music to mp3 on one as I am a part time DJ. Both are Win7. For a few songs or files I use a thumb drive to transfer from one machine to the other.

As for CD-RW, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW discs, there are plenty to be had online anyway. I just looked at Amazon and they even have the old DVD-RAM discs. CD-RW were my means of transferring files from one machine to another, before I started using thumb drives.

Regarding laptops on store shelves without optical drives, one can always buy a custom built machine direct from a manufacturer last time I looked.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 07-23-2015 at 07:50 PM.

35. 07-24-2015, 06:06 AM
    Reason
    Dupe, plus the image is way to long for those with regular sized screens.

Just installed the RTM W10 on my Surface tablet Bye bye W8.1!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W10screen.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	52878  

From what I've heard 8.1 is the very pits, so good luck with 10, Jerry. But since I have 7 and love it to the moon and back I'll wait.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    I read one tech columnist's comment that Win10 is MS's apology for Win8.

His stance, and others, is if one has Win8 now, by all means go to Win10. If one has Win7 now, stand pat and wait until the pc needs replacing or if Win10 is a flop.

Oh my I do not like change at all and you guys are scaring the crap out of me. I am a computer idiot.

Do not flog me....I am still on XP....my IT person said use it all you can....then upgrade to 7....and she will transfer everything for me....to a new server. Should I skip 7 and go to 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Oh my I do not like change at all and you guys are scaring the crap out of me. I am a computer idiot.

Do not flog me....I am still on XP....my IT person said use it all you can....then upgrade to 7....and she will transfer everything for me....to a new server. Should I skip 7 and go to 10?
    For me, XP was a royal pain in the butt, but i didn't realize it until I bought a new computer with 7. I say that because the XP was my first and I thought all the trouble I was having was my computer's fault.

As I've said, I don't like change, but I don't like being obsolete, either, so when the time must come I'll upgrade to 10.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post

I won't flog you but I WILL beat you with this licorice whip....just kidding I don't beat people, just the effers. 7 is a good and stable version of Windows. I would say yes, go to 7. You can always go to 10 later on if you want. I believe the upgrade will be free for a year.

"I just go here!"

I won't flog you but I WILL beat you with this licorice whip....just kidding I don't beat people, just the effers. 7 is a good and stable version of Windows. I would say yes, go to 7. You can always go to 10 later on if you want. I believe the upgrade will be free for a year.
    Lol! Thanks Ria, that's what I am going to do.

Yep. It's free until July 29, 2016.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bidmor Guest
    7 is a good and stable version of Windows. I would say yes, go to 7. You can always go to 10 later on if you want. I believe the upgrade will be free for a year.
    I agree, provided she receives a licensed copy of Win7. If it's a bootleg copy of 7, then one can't receive the security updates and she will have to pay for 10 even within the "free" period. Just something to verify before taking action.

If I have a year I think I will back off on W10. Is it hard to unreserve it?
    Last edited by cleanskull; 07-25-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Done and done. Thank you darling, owe ya a cheeseburger.

You're welcome. I'll be here all week.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

One or two shows a night?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I agree, provided she receives a licensed copy of Win7. If it's a bootleg copy of 7, then one can't receive the security updates and she will have to pay for 10 even within the "free" period. Just something to verify before taking action.
    A very good point that I forgot to mention. Thanks, Bid! You don't want a bootleg copy of any version of Windows. When I had my Mac, I partitioned my hard drive and ran Windows XP and Mac OS X side-by-side. (My die-cut machine was Windows-only.) I spent $100 and got a licensed copy of XP on evilbay...er...eBay.

"I just go here!"

I still haven't got the get windows 10 icon on my taskbar... and I meet all the requirements ! Have all the correct updates and still nothing, my brother told me it showed up a month ago on his ! I read a statement from Microsoft saying that many would not get it until after the launch on the 29th. If they can't recognize that myself, and millions of others meet their criteria, then I'm leery of this.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

qulevergrrl Guest
    Arrrgghhh! I so long for the day when we'd get the OEM versions at school. One of us would buy the CD's, and we'd split the cost. These were the full version, academic, MS Office Suite. It would run around just under $300 for Word, Excel, PP, Access, and Outlook. There were four uses (I believe) and we'd split the cost. Was this legal? No. Is it legal to bootleg a VHS or another CD from a friend or fileshare music? No. But most people do it. I think we are now talking about ethics, but is Microsoft an ethical company? I don't think so.

I had no problem splitting the cost with my friends to get the updated version of Office. At the time I had not been promoted to an Associate Professor; I was simply an Adjunct Lecturer, so we were grunts without much money paying for our own supplies. That drove all of us crazy.

If I had to do the same thing today, I would. So these upgrades are unnerving, but we have to deal with them. I think all bets are off because of that. It is a paradigm shift that we deal with every few years or so, and I believe we as consumers have the right to take a few liberties as well.

So far I love it.. My tablet does a cold boot in under 20 seconds now