Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Madonna

smooches27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    This is a good thread. Cuz it made us laugh.
    Quite right you are my dear...

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post

love the saggy skin on her arms
    Yeah, I think her days of rolling around on the stage in a wedding dress, singing "Like A Virgin" are over now...

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and She-Bop still rock it and are on my gym ipod. And as someone else mentioned, I feel like Def Leppard and Bon Jovi really aged well, those songs like Pour Some Sugar On Me and Photograph and Livin' on a Prayer still are great and I listen to them a lot too, they have withstood the test of time. The only Madonna songs from that era I still listen to are Dress You Up, Borderline, and the Desperately Seeking Susan song. I don't like Material Girl or Like a Virgin anymore and I skip over Like A Prayer on my ipod now. I just don't think it was great music in retrospect.
    I can listen to that album over and over and not get tired of it. I just recently started listening to Def Leppard again, sounds as good as it did back then!! Same for other bands as well.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post

love the saggy skin on her arms
    I thought she was lifting weights? I guess not anymore, that would take care of her skin.

I never paid much attention to her talent.

That look, on the other hand...

Guest Guest
    she is soooo boring when she is being interviewed, so serious. And a know it all....She does yoga for a little bit and all of a sudden she is a huge expert on yoga.....yawn I know I am impressed! lol.

Cadence71 Guest
    I never liked her. She's not that talented, other than at marketing herself, and now she's at the age where any compliment paid to her is followed by, "...for her age!"

Yeccchhhh.

lisalouver Guest
    I wish I looked like her, saggy skin or not.

RoRo Guest
    Never liked her....never will

Guest Guest
    never could get into her...but give me Cyndi Lauper anytime!

I'm gonna be strong is one of my favorite songs!

Madonna has to realize that you can only reinvent yourself so many times before the gig is up...there are girls coming out that are more appealing to the mainstream..even though they are copying a lot of her in their acts

I have no problem with her being inducted...she's been the biz for over 25 years...I wouldn't consider her "rock" but I don't consider Jethro Tull rock either...Time for her to hang up her garter belt and stick with childrens books which IMO are pretty good!

She is still recording- I know she put out an album sometime in the last couple of years. They just don't do as well anymore because they all sound the same now.

I never liked Madonna- she was just never my thing. There were a few of her songs I lliked from time to time, but honestly, if she disappeared, it would make no difference to me whatsoever.

I just don't like people who make it big in the US, then move overseas and make statements about how sucky America is.

BTW- I don't think she really "wrote" those books- there were some rumors flying around.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

MbalmR Guest
    I've always admired the woman. To pull herself up out of the gutter like she did (to hear her tell it) and reach the pinnacle of pop music fame is quite remarkable. I've also heard that she has a very high IQ. She's been quite clever in re-inventing herself over time, and she's a savvy business woman. I'm not sure what to make of the new accent she's acquired over in Great Britain; my brother-in-law moved to Texas about a thousand years ago and went from sounding like he walked right out of the movie "Fargo" to having a Texas drawl; I think people just pick that up after being immersed in it for so long?

I like her music, at least up until "Ray of Light." I haven't heard any of her music since. Of course, I also like KC and the Sunshine Band, so I can hardly be considered a bellwether of good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I've always admired the woman. To pull herself up out of the gutter like she did (to hear her tell it) and reach the pinnacle of pop music fame is quite remarkable. I've also heard that she has a very high IQ. She's been quite clever in re-inventing herself over time, and she's a savvy business woman. I'm not sure what to make of the new accent she's acquired over in Great Britain; my brother-in-law moved to Texas about a thousand years ago and went from sounding like he walked right out of the movie "Fargo" to having a Texas drawl; I think people just pick that up after being immersed in it for so long?

I like her music, at least up until "Ray of Light." I haven't heard any of her music since. Of course, I also like KC and the Sunshine Band, so I can hardly be considered a bellwether of good taste.
    Don't worry MbalmR - KC's "Best of" is in my CD collection!

My Mom (who was born and raised in England) would cringe whenever she heard Madonna speak in her fake accent.

Does anyone know if Gwenyth Paltrow or Chrissy Hynde (of The Pretenders) have English accents now - since they too (are from America) and live in the UK.

I have to agree tho with the "adapting" an accent. I lived in California most of my life and have aquired a "southern" accent since living here in Texas for the last 2 years, altho I have always spoke with a "drawl" - it's just more "pronounced" now.

But anyway, I agree with those who say Madonna needs to retire already.

Chrissy Hynde does not speak with an accent. I head her speak once when she came back to Ohio for something. She has a restaurant in Akron, comes to the occasional football game, always sends money or speaks up during a crisis in Ohio. She loves her hometown, and you can see her walking around in the streets, shopping, running errands, whatever whenever she is visiting. Once in a while she will pop off a phrase that is a little foreign to Americans. She talked once about a friend from high school that was so excited to see her, she came running into the loo to say hi, thank goodness she still had her knickers on. But I've never heard her talk with an accent.
    Last edited by Colicky; 03-12-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: I can't spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Colicky View Post
    Chrissy Hynde does not speak with an accent. I head her speak once when she came back to Ohio for something. She has a restaurant in Akron, comes to the occasional football game, always sends money or speaks up during a crisis in Ohio. She loves her hometown, and you can see her walking around in the streets, shopping, running errands, whatever whenever she is visiting. Once in a while she will pop off a phrase that is a little foreign to Americans. She talked once about a friend from high school that was so excited to see her, she came running into the loo to say hi, thank goodness she still had her knickers on. But I've never heard her talk with an accent.
    That's pretty amazing, seeing that Chrissy's lived in England for almost 30 years!

And Madonna has lived in England for how long...

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    That's pretty amazing, seeing that Chrissy's lived in England for almost 30 years!

But if you remember when she started with the fake accent - it was YEARS before she lived there. That's why everyone made such a big deal about it. What a looney! I still recall an interview she did with Kurt Loder & it was just appalling.

miz rosebud Guest
    I like the old slutty madonna.Not the kabbalah b.s madonna madge (cmon).

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miz rosebud View Post
    I like the old slutty madonna.Not the kabbalah b.s madonna madge (cmon).
    No love for Ester huh?

You know, I buy a lot of music and have loved nearly everything that she has ever done, but I have *never* bought one of her records. I just realized that and thought it was kinda strange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chrissie Hynde moved to Engalnd in the early 70s, shes been there for nearly 35 years. She used to write for NME before becoming a rock goddess. She was also a student at Kent State when the National Guard murdered four students. She definitely deserves her place in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
    Last edited by ichabodius; 03-12-2008 at 02:59 PM.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    She was also a student at Kent State when the National Guard murdered four students. She definitely deserves her place in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
    Wow I didn't know she was there. I thought they murdered them too until I read a book about it. Now I just think it was sad & they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have more to say on the subject but it's nothing to do with Madge.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    She is still recording- I know she put out an album sometime in the last couple of years. They just don't do as well anymore because they all sound the same now.

I never liked Madonna- she was just never my thing. There were a few of her songs I lliked from time to time, but honestly, if she disappeared, it would make no difference to me whatsoever.

I just don't like people who make it big in the US, then move overseas and make statements about how sucky America is.

BTW- I don't think she really "wrote" those books- there were some rumors flying around.
    I wonder why no one was/is critical of Johnny Depp when he moved across the pond and bashed the US?
    Last edited by lisalouver; 03-12-2008 at 03:12 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I wonder why no one was/is crital of Johnny Depp when he moved across the pond and bashed the US?
    Me! Me! I can't stand him - I used to crazy about him, just like everyone else. I can't even watch his movies anymore. It really burns me when people run their mouths elsewhere. They are too chicken to say it to an American. We should stand up for our country, wherever we are. Idiot.

lisalouver Guest
    Me! Me! I can't stand him - I used to crazy about him, just like everyone else. I can't even watch his movies anymore. It really burns me when people run their mouths elsewhere. They are too chicken to say it to an American. We should stand up for our country, wherever we are. Idiot.
    Thank you RaRa. You restored my faith!!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Thank you RaRa. You restored my faith!!
    Yeah just a little time.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    I like her singing, shes a style queen, but she sucks in all her films, that one where she pours candle wax on that blokes chest, it was a right turkey....

The worse film....EVITA.....boring as hell.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    Madonna was alright when I was a kid but, I've always liked Cyndi Lauper. *leaves room*
    I LOVE Cyndi. I saw her in concert 2 weeks ago and she is still AMAZING. I dont think she has aged at all and her voice is better than ever before. WHAT an entertainer, no need for a mega set, dancers, lightshow just Cyndi with the band, entertaining us. BRILLIANT.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    She bores me as a person, and I hated all her overt sexual acting out in the 90s, but I admire her discipline and ability to stay current and relevant. She has matured but not stagnated. She is a true artist--pop music, and to some extent visual and performance art, being her medium. And she's managed to make a real life for herself. So, kudos to the old bag. :-)
    Totally Agree. I have never liked her music, I am not into that bland pop even when growing up. But good on her for her focus, disipline and attitude. Just dont make me listen to it. No thanks.

I've always enjoyed looking at her; never really listened to her though; just looked.

Striking woman; and she has done well for herself; and has legions of fans; so there is something there intellectually; I guess.

Kinda the same thing with Kylie Minogue (sorry, P.)

Danny62 Guest
    The Rock and Roll Hall of fame is obviously getting desperate. I think Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson are next years inductee's.

GrinReaper Guest
    If you think that's bad...
    I heard that John Lennon and Paul McCartney (solo) are in which is cool.
    But George Harrison and Ringo Starr are not.
    Solo or not there's something missing and wrong about that. That's like just two stooges performing but without Curly. OK bad example but it's all I could think of at the moment.

Oops you got that backwards.
    Nah. It's my opinion and I believe I'll stick with it whether you like it or not thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    They have the same physique. He has better dance moves. I would have to agree.
    He does, doesn't he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaQ4bQmTILA

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

LOL Love it!

No love for Ester huh?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Just dont make me listen to it. No thanks.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I've always enjoyed looking at her; never really listened to her though; just looked.

Striking woman(sorry, P.)
    Yes, she's always had that. She's got that whole chameleon thing going on that most men love. Your slut in the bedroom who may not be able to cook but she probably orders some mean room service.

Score one for the man camp with your dandy post Jim.

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave Wax View Post
    I never had much use for her anyway, but when she came out and said she was going to raise her children in Great Britain because the culture in the USA was too coarse, my indifference turned to disgust.

The "coarse" culture Madonna spent 25 years helping to create isn't good enough for her ultra-wealthy family. She is rich enough to live where she wants, while my daughters and their daughters must stay behind in a "cesspool" Madonna's kind dug for us.
    I have to agree with you Grave Wax (by the way what a cool picture in your avatar!)

When she moved to Great Britian she just turned me off. Then she started to speak with an accent OH MY LORD???? C'mon......

Cathy J. Guest

At work today I was listening to one of our local radio stations. They were doing an 80s lunch show and they played Madonna's Lucky Star. After they finished playing the song the announcer made some comment about how Madonna no longer likes popular music. If that is true, maybe she should retire or stick with writing books if she does actually write them.

Linda Ronstadt, even though I am not a fan of hers I do respect her decision to get out of rock and roll when she decided she no longer likes that kind of music. I even heard that Ronstadt not only will not play her old hits at concerts like "You're No Good" but wont even discuss her rock & roll days.

Why be involved with something you don't even support? Makes no sense to me.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    At work today I was listening to one of our local radio stations. They were doing an 80s lunch show and they played Madonna's Lucky Star. After they finished playing the song the announcer made some comment about how Madonna no longer likes popular music. If that is true, maybe she should retire or stick with writing books if she does actually write them.

Linda Ronstadt, even though I am not a fan of hers I do respect her decision to get out of rock and roll when she decided she no longer likes that kind of music. I even heard that Ronstadt not only will not play her old hits at concerts like "You're No Good" but wont even discuss her rock & roll days.

Why be involved with something you don't even support? Makes no sense to me.
    That's simple - money.

i always liked taylor dayne

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    The Rock and Roll Hall of fame is obviously getting desperate. I think Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson are next years inductee's.

Amen Danny, must be desperation. This chick just tix me off to no end...
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

Guest Guest
    I didn't think that was a bad example. I love Curly, if it were not for Curly I probably would not watch the three stooges. Same with the Marx brothers, I don't care for them much if it were not for Harpo.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I like Madonna. I don't care if she is trashy or not this is what sells in this business. At least she has never been involved in sex tapes,drugs scandals. Her music is good and I love her Spanish Lullabye. I saw her in person and she puts on a damn good show. Nothing wrong with her voice either. SHe is a lot better than Cobain and some of those druggies that I have heard, If she was so bad she wouldn't be the rich woman she is today LOL I like Brit too even with her illnesses that have taken over her life and I am happy that she is getting better. I liked her even more when she dropped Sean like a hot spud,and didn't even press charges against him for holding her prisoner and beating her. SHe has a lot more class than people thinks she does but she is a show woman and she does what she does to sell records and always has sold out concerts by doing her "thing". Cjer too,even if she did like to be half naked.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Naw desperate would be Curt Cobaine and all those rockers that died over an over dose.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Naw desperate would be Curt Cobaine and all those rockers that died over an over dose.
    I never did like Nirvana but you'll have to pick another dead junkie cuz Kurt helped change the world.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    She's a rancid whore in my book...not that doesn't mean she's a bad person...but she's
    not RNR...must be a sign of the Death of RNR if she's voted in...I like some of her music but she is NOT a RNR singer

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Everyone can now start lobbing rotten tomatoes at me, but I loved "Ray of Light" in the 90s and that was RNR, right? Kinda sorta?
    Anyway, she's not my favorite but I'm sure I could pick a few previous inductees into the Hall of Fame that are even less worthy...and some of her songs I like a lot.
    And like it or not, she did change the face of the music industry in the 80s...

Forever-27 Guest
    Not that I pay attention to the grammys or Mtv awards or any other award shows for that matter on tv for actors / musicans but it was kinda cool when she kissed britney spears during one of these shows . i saw a clip of it on youtube and that was nice

Reecy Guest
    I wonder why no one was/is critical of Johnny Depp when he moved across the pond and bashed the US?
    Good question. I haven't liked Johnny because of this either. I don't like the way he dresses either with that ugly goatee. YUCK! Plus those ugly shoes. He's turning me way off.

I will look at him when he plays Barnabus only because Barnabus comes from England.

I'm critical of him too- but didn't want to mention him since this thread isn't about him.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

lisalouver Guest
    I'm critical of him too- but didn't want to mention him since this thread isn't about him.
    YAY!!

We are getting more and more!!

I like Ray of Light too Jack. It was mostly due to William Orbits production though.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    She's a rancid whore in my book...not that doesn't mean she's a bad person...but she's
    not RNR...must be a sign of the Death of RNR if she's voted in...I like some of her music but she is NOT a RNR singer
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has many in it that do not belong.

Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    What you said pretty much sums up the current state of ALL media, not just TV.

Sure there is a lot more choices to pick from now but is it really? Everything it seems targets those under 30 because their money is "more important" than someone who is 50. Why?

The quality of TV despite its choices has gone down a lot in recent years. Look at some of those once good channels? The other night I noticed 10 channels with poker on them? Why? TV Land used to show "classic TV", now they are really no more different than anyone else. Unless one is a fan of Rachael Ray or a few other "celebrity chefs", one can forget about Food Network. Actually one can create a thread just on this subject alone. And the commericals, squeeze as many as they can now is the norm. Many shows no longer have theme songs.

Newspapers and many magazines feel they have to take sides on issues now. True its always been like that but today ever our local paper takes sides on issues that aren't even politcal. Car accidents? Our paper even takes sides on who is at fault now. Whatever happened to just reporting what happened? Do a story on AIDS reserach, some papaers bring up the issue of gay marriage. Whats the connection there? I can't think of any.

Radio is really bad. Everything is seems is tied into some master computer elsewhere. When one radio station airs a commerical, the others do the same at the same time. Can't be different I suppose. And radio can't understand why people are stop listening to them in favor of XM.

Music today is about the same. No variety !! Country music sounds the same enough so that I bet Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and all the great ones would be rolling in their graves if they knew the product Nashvile puts out now. Nashville might as well change its name to "Los Angeles, Tennesee". and todays pop music, well...if it ain't hip hop one can pretty much forget it.

No wonder so many people today no longer have TV in the homes, radios in their cars, stop paying the big bucks to see a movie, no longer get the paper, etc...

It really does suck and whats more amazing is that it seems so many people who work in the business would agree to that but yet they fail in changing anything to make it better.

Its all about the all mighty dollar.

Well put, Cathy!

-K.

knothere Guest

Madonna and Guy: Scheduled To Split?

It's rumoured the pop icon will leave Guy in fall '09.

[SIZE=+0]Could Guy Ritchie be going where Sean Penn, Warren Beatty, Jenny Shimizu and Vanilla Ice have gone before? Into Madonna's discard pile? The News of the World claims that Madonna, 49, and her director husband Guy, 39, have pulled the plug on their eight-year marriage. Madonna is making arrangements to move off her sprawling English estate and relocate to New York City, accompanied by her staff and three kids: Lourdes, 11; Rocco, 7; and David, 2. Guy will stay in London, where he's purchased a pub with his buddies. The pub will be called Mid-Life Crisis's.

For reasons that aren't entirely clear, Madonna and Guy will keep up appearances for the next 18 months before announcing their split in fall '09, according to the U.K. paper. By then, Madonna will have sucked all the sugar out of her new album, Hard Candy, and the world tour that's expected to follow. But in the meantime, they'll be able to enjoy all the whispers and speculation that get stirred up every time they do something separately. For example, when Madonna was inducted into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame last Monday, Guy stayed home with the kids, horses and chickens on their London estate. Gossip ensued.

Madonna's rep denies her client is either single or ready to mingle, but it seems like a breakup is inevitable. Madonna has done her best to keep this thing going. She showed an interest in what appears to be Guy's only passion--pubs. And she stood by him during a long period of career stagnation. Guy, in turn, hasn't gotten in between Madonna and her typically ambitious plans, such as adopting baby David from Malawi. But how could anyone stay married to Madonna? Every time she gives you a Vitamin B shot in the ass, your manhood dies a little.

Update: Madonna's publicist, Liz "Munchies" Rosenberg, worked long and hard on this statement, so we have to conceed she's really serious: "I am delighted to confirm that Mr. and Mrs. Guy Ritchie remain happily married. Though they were in different countries recently--Madonna in the U.S. doing promotion for her upcoming album Hard Candy and Guy finishing up post production on his new film RocknRolla as well as completing a Nike commercial and working on several scripts in England--the family are joyfully back together at home in London. All is well and wonderful in the Ritchie household."

[/SIZE]