Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mickey Rooney

ajlposh Guest

Mickey Rooney

TMZ is reporting that Mickey Rooney has died. Story developing.

Jeez. I thought he was already.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Not surprising; he was older than dirt. Liked the Andy Hardy movies when I was a kid. RIP.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Elizabeth Guest
    He always seemed quite full of himself.....I thought he was dead long ago....

Not a huge fan, sorry......

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    He always seemed quite full of himself.....I thought he was dead long ago....

Not a huge fan, sorry......
    I always got a "jerk vibe" about him, too. More people will be surprised that he was still alive than when he actually died.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I always got a "jerk vibe" about him, too. More people will be surprised that he was still alive than when he actually died.
    ITA....he seemed like a cocky, nasty little shrimp. Not a fan either. I too thought he was already long gone.
    Last edited by Cynful; 04-06-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Not surprising; he was older than dirt. Liked the Andy Hardy movies when I was a kid. RIP.
    I like those Andy Hardy movies too. Had to roll my eyes - here's what TMZ wrote:
    "He was one of the most famous child actors in entertainment history. He played the role of Andy Hardy in "The Hardy Boys" in 20 films."
    The Hardy Boys?

Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    I like those Andy Hardy movies too. Had to roll my eyes - here's what TMZ wrote:
    "He was one of the most famous child actors in entertainment history. He played the role of Andy Hardy in "The Hardy Boys" in 20 films."
    The Hardy Boys?

I guess Judy Garland was in "The Nancy Drew Mysteries".
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I guess Judy Garland was in "The Nancy Drew Mysteries".
    Yeah, Pamela Sue Martin could sure belt out "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"

Thought he was already dead.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Conkeror Guest
    This is a news report from Australia:

Actor Mickey Rooney ‘dead at 93’

To get going, simply connect with your favourite social network:Facebook

Hollywood legend Mickey Rooney has reportedly died at the age of 93. Source: Getty Images

MICKEY Rooney, the former Hollywood child star who spent his entire life in showbusiness has died at the age of 93, according to US media reports.
    Rooney had been in ill health for some time.He was one of the most famous child actors in Hollywood history, playing the role of Andy Hardy in 20 films.Born Joe Yule Jnr in 1920, Rooney’s first turn on the stage was as a 17-month-old toddler in his parents’ vaudeville show.His film debut came in 1926 before he found fame in A Family Affair playing Andy Hardy, a popular teen who would feature in nearly 20 films and help make Rooney a houshold name.He starred alongside some of the biggest names in Hollywood including Spencer Tracy, Judy Garland and Elizabeth Taylor and played Audrey Hepburn’s Japanese neighbor, Mr Yuniosh, inBreakfast At Tiffany’s.Seven of his marriages — the first to Ava Gardner — ended in divorce and he separated from eighth wife Jan Chamberlin in 2013. He had nine children.

8 wives and 12 kids.....

I worked with one of his son-in-laws who HATED Mick, said he was a bastard
    Still - a generation is nearly gone

Thanks Micky...............RIP

I wasn't really a fan either. I can vaguely remember watching an Andy Hardy and Lassie Come Home?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

beachboy Guest
    can't be many left from golden era

GOD IS NOT DEAD

mxwe Guest
    Nine kids, I wonder if any of them liked him. I see he legally separated from Jan two years ago. She should write a biography, The Real Mickey Rooney.
    You have to give him his due, he had one helluva of a life.

Another one of the Golden Age gone. I never really cared for him. Something about him just screams "creepy" to me. Oh well. RIP Mr. Rooney.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

R.I.P. Mick....you had a great run.
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

RIP Mickey....What a life you had
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Arky67 Guest
    Nice quote about Mickey:

Karen Sharpe Kramer, the wife of the late legendary filmmaker Stanley Kramer said: “Last year during my husband’s centennial celebration, Mickey Rooney made one of his last public appearances at the 50th Anniversary screening of Stanley’s film which he starred in, It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World at the Cinerama Dome on October 27, 2013 in Hollywood. I’ve never seen him happier. It was obvious he was content and being well cared for by his son Mark Rooney and his wife Charlene. Mickey was enthusiastic about life, like a young Andy Hardy. May he rest in peace. His legacy in show business will live on forever.”

Bayou Queen Guest
    He had a reputation as being a mean little man, and on FB last night Melody Thomas Scott ( Nikki on the Young and the Restless) said she once worked with him and he was not known for his kindness. I still can't see Ava Gardner marrying him. But thank you Mickey for the all entertainment. He was part of a wonderful era. May you rest in peace.

Comedian Jeff Dunham was in "Sugar Babies" with Mickey and Ann Miller when he was starting out. Jeff said Mickey called him into his dressing room and told Jeff that the only reason that Dunham was in the show was to just fill in the time so Mickey can change costumes. It crushed Jeff since he was such a fan. Yep, Mickey was a dick.
    Cindy

cameralady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkeror View Post
    This is a news report from Australia:

Actor Mickey Rooney ‘dead at 93’

Seven of his marriages — the first to Ava Gardner — ended in divorce and he separated from eighth wife Jan Chamberlin in 2013. He had nine children.
    Why separate from your wife when you're 91 or 92 years old? (It reminds me of Dennis Hopper filing for divorce from his last wife while he was on his deathbed.) What's the point?

There is something about Shirley Temple and Mickey Rooney passing within months of each other, in the same year.

A true Survivor ,he was from the days of the real Golden Age of Hollywood,May God Rest his Soul ....this man was a living Hollywood history book who worked with just about everybody....

Seagorath Guest
    I loved Mickey Rooney in "Bill" from the early 80s. That's how I knew him as a child...I thought he was an invalid.

Rip M.R.

desertangel Guest
    Wow... I was chatting it up yesterday when Doris Day's name came up because it was her 90th birthday and made the comment... didn't know she was still alive, then see this in the news. Of course the two of them were in many movies together. That pic of MR when he was a tyke is precious. I cant fathom being in show business for a lifetime. Bless him anyway, may he RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    ITA....he seemed like a cocky, nasty little shrimp. Not a fan either. I too thought he was already long gone.
    I used to work with one of his son in laws. He HATED the Mick, called him a self centered prick and other such descriptive things. Said he was the nastiest person he ever met.

I remember seeing him in a commercial recently with his wife about some kind of health insurance. I assume this is the same wife he split from a couple of years ago. He sat there the whole time and never said a word. Surprised to learn they recently separated...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

He had an intersting life but I too remember all the stories about what a jerk he was and that he said a lot of mean things to people over the years.

I was listening to Bob and Sheri (syndicated radio show out of NC) and they were talking about him this morning and how they'd once interviewed him by phone about something he was promoting years and years ago and he spent the entire interview ranting about relatives who had screwed him out of money. I never cared for him but he's not of my generation. I've just always heard he was a mean old goat doesnt make him any less of a legend in his business though maybe it was being so mean that made him so successful and live so long. Something for me to consider lol

Adios dude. Married 7 or 8 times I think it was. Whenever I'd hear that I'd wonder what would possess a person to marry/divorce that many times? All the stories i'm hearing about him being a jerk IRL, don't think I need to wonder anymore. Did he remain friends with any of his ex-wives?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Adios dude. Married 7 or 8 times I think it was. Whenever I'd hear that I'd wonder what would possess a person to marry/divorce that many times? All the stories i'm hearing about him being a jerk IRL, don't think I need to wonder anymore. Did he remain friends with any of his ex-wives?
    lmao. I guess the fame was good enough to get the girls but he was just too much to keep them. I've never seen much that's he's been in though i remember seeing him as Andy Hardy and my grandma asking me if I recognized him and telling me who he was. He was kind of cute back then. Too bad he sounds like he was an ass.

I knew he wasn't dead but I thought he was closer to 100 than 93.

It makes me laugh that TMZ said he starred as Andy Hardy in Hardy Boys movies. They hadn't even corrected it at least 12 hours after he had died. What a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    He was married 9 times, twice to one woman
    His daughter Kelly did my hair for my wedding day and we found out both our fathers had been married 9 times, we are both products of our fathers 5th marriage and we are the only female and we have 3 brothers (all from #5)

We decided my dad won because he married 9 DIFFERENT women whereas old Mick ONLY married 8 different women!

He was a cutie back in his day, but I've read he could be quite the jerkwad. Nonetheless, it is sad how all of old Hollywood as we know it is slipping away.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Jeez. I thought he was already.
    So did I!

There was a story at TMZ recently about his adopted son trying to get money from him through his will - I'll try to find it and post it here.

Also, he outlived one of his sons.

I was gonna make a joke about thinking he was already dead, but I guess I'd just be piling on at this point. LOL

lovemymonkey Guest
    I loved him as Henry Dailey in the Black Stallion movies....

Joee Guest
    Married to Ava Gardner, one of the looking women ever; he could have died right then and it would've been a he'll of a life.

Joee Guest
    Damn autocorrect, should've read hell.

It's sad to hear when a famous actor/actress is not a nice person. Who is now left from "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World?"
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    It's sad to hear when a famous actor/actress is not a nice person. Who is now left from "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World?"
    The only ones, AFAIK, are Stan Freberg and Marvin Kaplan are left. Might be more, but if you look at the major cast, they are all gone.

I agree that it is sad when a big celebrity, who seems nice when the camera's are rolling, are different when the camera's are off. Especially when it's someone like Rooney, who was part of my growing up.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 04-07-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    Cindy

Rest well Mr. Rooney, I loved your movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Ghost View Post
    He had an intersting life but I too remember all the stories about what a jerk he was and that he said a lot of mean things to people over the years.
    "Small guy" syndrome?

Make up in ego what you lack in stature?

RIP, Mr. Rooney.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Great in the Andy Hardy series... saw an interview with him on a Judy Garland documentary discussing her passing, playing up his grief. He seemed to be really putting it on and was "acting". Aside from that he made some pretty good films.. RIP

Elaine Devry, wife #4, once said, "Living with Mickey is no bed of roses. Six wives can't all be wrong."
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Reading this I had no idea Mickey was such a dickey.
    One of the funniest stories involved him being on the Burns and Allen show. He was going to college at the time and Gracie asked:
    "So Mickey what are you learning?" "I could speak Latin and I'm good in math." She said "Say something in Math."
    He looks at her and says "Pi r squared." Gracie says "Well don't be ridiculous every knows pie are round." Say goodnight Gracie.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Sic transit shrimpi