Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	552282_286391198145012_929029456_n.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	49900
    A-freakin-men!
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

navallint Guest
    Sweet dreams

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They should have given her a real Oscar for her contributions to film, she saved Fox from bankruptcy with her movies during the depression. One of the true legends, rest in peace Shirley.

OK, Yes this did make me laugh. Sad but true what we have to say
    about us in 2014.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 02-11-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

This very picture was swimming through my head very shortly after I heard the news of Shirley Temple-Black's death. What the hell happened indeed. RIP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RIP Shirley.

RIP Shirley. I've always been a bit off the wall (black sheep and all that), so many people who know me were shocked to know that she was one of my favorite actresses. She was my hero when I was a kid. I just watched The Little Princess a few weeks ago. Her movies always make me feel like a kid again.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

I used to buy all her paper dolls, very popular when I was a child.

Seagorath Guest
    When I was growing up in Azusa, and hanging out with Dozer and Gar...we'd sometimes watch Shirley Temple flicks with Red. And there's always that cheeseburger out in the car with my name on it...and the sun shining on my face.

Shirley's curls

Her Mother made sure Shirley had exactly 56 curls in her pictues. Mom did them herself. Didn't Shirley have a brother????

Shirley also wore dentures during all the movies she made as a child. TPTB didn't want their star to have missing teeth like a regular child would have so they had all her teeth pulled and she wore false teeth.
    I mean, they say you die twice.
    One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.

Banksy

bat115 Guest
    RIP Shirley!

Was it just me or was there a serious lack of media coverage today about her death? Did I just not watch at the right moments? I was expecting a full media circus on all the channels but I saw nothing. Each mention I saw was a one minute quick obit and then on to the next news story.

Quote Originally Posted by bat115 View Post
    RIP Shirley!

Was it just me or was there a serious lack of media coverage today about her death? Did I just not watch at the right moments? I was expecting a full media circus on all the channels but I saw nothing. Each mention I saw was a one minute quick obit and then on to the next news story.
    It was the same here in the UK. We've had flooding and that had more air time. The longest clip I saw was maybe 2-3 minutes on the lunchtime news.

RIP Shirley.

RIP Shirley

Ted Challinor Guest
    saddened - she was genuinely one of the best child actors in Hollywood, Enjoyed her films in the 1970s - the only time British tv broadcast them

She really was a cutie AND had legitimate talent. She could pull it all off without being obnoxious. She was a very pretty teenager too. I loved her in "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer" with Cary Grant and Myrna Loy.
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

MysticCho Guest
    rip hun

Elizabeth Guest
    Wasn't she called "One Take Temple" when she was a child star??? My daughter was obsessed with her when she was young!!! And of course, one of my idols, Shirley Jones, was named after her.....

RIP Shirley....you were a class act....

I was so sad to hear about her death. My mom practically made me watch her movies when I was a kid (my mother is a boomer. Even though I was born in the late 80s)

I always was so happy that I had curls like hers (natural ones though) because I found them cute.

I'm hoping maybe TCM or AMC will have a marathon of her movies this weekend.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Her first home just sold for under 2.5 million..

http://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/...185130345.html
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I wonder why her kids never went into the biz? Or did they?
    My Posse's On Broadway

Ironically, the beginning of Shirley's career had rather a LOT in common with Honey Boo-Boo's:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/ar...ies-at-85.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Hollywood.html

The difference is, "Baby Burlesk" did NOT continue for years (and Gertrude Temple, as far as I know, did NOT suffer from "forklift toe" OR excessive fork-lifting, If yah know what I mean!)

However, the bit about Shirley's mass tooth extraction and bridgework DOES give one pause...

Shirley Temple Black was also a 40+ year survivor of breast cancer, which sounds almost like a world's record. She publicized her situation for the public's benefit, years before Betty Ford. I recall, she even wrote an essay about, among other details of her recovery, the way her breast prosthesis lost and gained pressure when she had to fly. Showed she had a sense of humor which helped to carry her through.

Shirley Temple Black, unlike many actors (and former child actors at that), encouraged her children to at least try show business, so I guess her experiences were not all that negative. However, none stayed in entertainment for long; two pursued different careers altogether.

Shirley's two daughters, Linda Agar and Lori Black, were as different as night and day, it would appear. The older daughter from her mom's broken teen marriage became quite middle-class, had a "normal" career, a long marriage, and stable family life. Linda gave Shirley her only grandchild, a daughter who provided her only two great-grandchildren (so far.)

http://www.mercurynews.com/movies-dv...ack-dies-at-85

The younger daughter Lori (aka "Lorax"), from the long-standing "good" marriage, was considered the "wild child": girlfriend of a member of the "Melvins" and a band member herself, until she was ejected for "laziness" (must have been a spoiled brat.) She was allegedly such a mess for a while, that there were rumors that she'd died of an OD back in 1998! However, it seems she did clean up and is now a photographer.

http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/mo...les-daughters/

An article about Shirley's son, Charles Alden Black Jr.:

http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/mo...y-temples-son/

His professional info page:

http://www.apr.com/apinel/agentDetai...8031&ps=0&pg=0

A fellow I know posted on his Facebook that his mother worked at the State Department during the time of Shirley Temple Black's tenure. There was a tacit agreement among the employees not to bother her about her star past, pester her for autographs, etc., just go about business as usual. Shirley appreciated this so much, that on the day she left, she wrote them a nice letter thanking them for their consideration AND a large stack of personally-autographed photos!
    Last edited by Linnie; 03-12-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Shirley Temple was a true doll. My mom even still has her ST doll down in her basement.

I always loved her movies- my favorite was Heidi. I've tried to get my kids interested in her movies, the Little Rascals, etc- but it's not colorful and flashy, so they have no interest.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Ironically, the beginning of Shirley's career had rather a LOT in common with Honey Boo-Boo's:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/ar...ies-at-85.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Hollywood.html

The difference is, "Baby Burlesk" did NOT continue for years (and Gertrude Temple did not, as far as I know, did NOT suffer from "forklift toe" OR excessive fork-lifting, If yah know what I mean!)

However, the bit about Shirley's mass tooth extraction and bridgework DOES give one pause...

Shirley Temple Black was also a 40+ year survivor of breast cancer, which sounds almost like a world's record. She publicized her situation for the public's benefit, years before Betty Ford. I recall, she even wrote an essay about, among other details of her recovery, the way her breast prosthesis lost and gained pressure when she had to fly. Showed she had a sense of humor which helped to carry her through.

Shirley Temple Black, unlike many actors (and former child actors at that), encouraged her children to at least try show business, so I guess her experiences were not all that negative. However, none stayed in entertainment for long; two pursued different careers altogether.

Shirley's two daughters, Linda Agar and Lori Black, were as different as night and day, it would appear. The older daughter from her mom's broken teen marriage became quite middle-class, had a "normal" career, a long marriage, and stable family life. Linda gave Shirley her only grandchild, a daughter who provided her only two great-grandchildren (so far.)

http://www.mercurynews.com/movies-dv...ack-dies-at-85

The younger daughter Lori (aka "Lorax"), from the long-standing "good" marriage, was considered the "wild child": girlfriend of a member of the "Melvins" and a band member herself, until she was ejected for "laziness" (must have been a spoiled brat.) She was allegedly such a mess for a while, that there were rumors that she'd died of an OD back in 1998! However, it seems she did clean up and is now a photographer.

http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/mo...les-daughters/

An article about Shirley's son, Charles Alden Black Jr.:

http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/mo...y-temples-son/

His professional info page:

http://www.apr.com/apinel/agentDetai...8031&ps=0&pg=0

A fellow I know posted on his Facebook that his mother worked at the State Department during the time of Shirley Temple Black's tenure. There was a tacit agreement among the employees not to bother her about her star past, pester her for autographs, etc., just go about business as usual. Shirley appreciated this so much, that on the day she left, she wrote them a nice letter thanking them for their consideration AND a large stack of personally-autographed photos!
    Lori aka Lorax is a nasty cunt heroin addict animal abuser.

Name:	lorax_cat.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	49916
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post

Snip...

You don't post a lot Linnie. But what you do post is always quality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GuiltyLittleDeathHag Guest
    Grew up watching her in Heidi lol. What an incredible life this woman had, adorable child actress then diplomat. Grew into an attractive woman also. RIP.

Has anyone posted the infamous photo of Zero Mostel openly staring down into the cleavage of a grown-up Shirley Temple (who was totally oblivious to what he was doing)? Judging by her hairstyle, I'd say it took place in the 1960s.... they're seated in a theatre and she's smiling at the photographers while he's checking out her tatas.

Here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZS.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	49935  

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    Has anyone posted the infamous photo of Zero Mostel openly staring down into the cleavage of a grown-up Shirley Temple (who was totally oblivious to what he was doing)? Judging by her hairstyle, I'd say it took place in the 1960s.... they're seated in a theatre and she's smiling at the photographers while he's checking out her tatas.
    And doesn't Zero have the loveliest of comb-overs?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't think so.......

36. 02-25-2014, 11:50 PM

qulevergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    This really sucks. America just died. First Sinantra...now, Shirley.
    You left out Funicello! Does anyone here know who'll be doing the write up? I couldn't link to one, but I know it's just been a week. I just have this image in my head that for certain celebs..like Shirl, Scott has a deep freeze with pre-write ups, wow that grammar was jacked up. Anyway, you know, without the death stuff. But maybe having like the death watch and all the leading up to kinda thing. Am I wronGA?

After she married Charles Black, she lived very quietly in Woodside, Ca. They were a very private family.

Shirley Maclaine was named after her too.

"Bright Eyes" is on now. A very funny movie when Shirley was six yrs old. She's stuck with the snooty parents her mother (their maid) worked for and their bratty daughter, Jane Withers.

Wow, I didn't know that about her daughter Lori. And she certainly didn't look like her mother.

Man, I remembered watching Shirley Temple movies when they featured them on FOX during the weekends in LA, and was in awe of her. I also thought that she was my age too! Fast forward to 1989 and I see her as the Grand Marshal in the Tournament of Roses Parade, and she was an adult! I was so mad, and thought it was her mom up there. Didn't know that I was watching movies from the 1930's! LOL
    RIP Shirley a legend, and a class act!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir1012 View Post
    Shirley also wore dentures during all the movies she made as a child. TPTB didn't want their star to have missing teeth like a regular child would have so they had all her teeth pulled and she wore false teeth.
    That sounds really terrible, to me.

Sometimes our saints are sinners
    They blur the lines and lead the way
    Their way
    Raise hell and a glass in reverence
    The fearless lives of our great saints

I have to agree Shady. That shit just made me feel sad.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

I read that Shirley as a kid loved to play the drums and played as well as Buddy Rich. But her parents took the drums away from her because they said it was "unladylike". Poor kid.

So, Shirley Temple had all her teeth ripped from her head, AND she played the drums, and played well..
    Today i learned Shirley Temple invented metal. Even more of a reason to mourn the loss of the legend.

Sometimes our saints are sinners
    They blur the lines and lead the way
    Their way
    Raise hell and a glass in reverence
    The fearless lives of our great saints

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir1012 View Post
    My understanding was that she wore what is commonly known as a "flipper" in the kiddie pageant circle. It is a tooth colored veneer that fits over the intact teeth kind of like an Invisalign retainer. There would have been major and permanent damage done to her jaw/mouth if all of her teeth had been pulled as the baby teeth have an important role in the placement of the errupting adult teeth. The flipper just gives the illusion that all of the teeth are present and pops off when not needed for cosmetic purposes. I could be wrong, but that is what I know of it.

46. 03-15-2014, 03:09 PM

YuukaK Guest
    Did anyone watch the TCM Shirley Temple movie marathon the weekend after she passed?

FaeryQuene Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    They should have given her a real Oscar for her contributions to film, she saved Fox from bankruptcy with her movies during the depression. One of the true legends, rest in peace Shirley.
    I've seen several articles mentioning that Shirley was eventually given a regular-sized Oscar decades after receiving her miniature one. In any event, I consider that miniature Oscar a 'real' one. It was child-sized but at least the powers that be in 1934 recognized the achievements of this extraordinarlily gifted child. She should have received a life-time achievement Oscar to go along with her SAG award too.

Quote Originally Posted by YuukaK View Post
    Did anyone watch the TCM Shirley Temple movie marathon the weekend after she passed?
    I did. I dvr'ed each one. I'm watching "I'll Be Seeing You" as I type this. She really matured into a lovely young woman in the 40's.

I was in the hospital when I heard of Shirley's passing and deeply saddened at the news. I've loved Shirley and all of her movies since I was a child of the '70s. I remember they'd air a Shirley Temple movie practically every weekend back in the day!

Name:	Our Valentine Forever.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	50218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shirley-temple-kisses.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	50219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shirley.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	50220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shirley blowing kisses.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	50221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shirley-Temple-LollipopTribute.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	50222

Rest in Peace Shirley. Goodnight Sweetheart.

Seems that Shirley was a chronic smoker and she died of COPD. WOW this certainly made me feel sad. According to news sources she could not quit smoking. My mother died last year of COPD and she was still a smoker til about 3 years before. She could not quit no matter how hard she tried.

FaeryQuene Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdr View Post
    Seems that Shirley was a chronic smoker and she died of COPD. WOW this certainly made me feel sad. According to news sources she could not quit smoking. My mother died last year of COPD and she was still a smoker til about 3 years before. She could not quit no matter how hard she tried.
    I'm awfully sorry about your mom chrisdr *Hugs*.

It is sad to know that about Shirley. I was thinking it doesn't quite sound like she died of 'natural causes' as reported. That being said, it's been my understanding from what friends and family have said about her that she was obviously broken-hearted about the loss of her beloved husband Charles Alden Black and she never quite got over his death. I think someone posted an article upthread in which her son mentions she was lonely for him the last few years.

Yesterday as I searched for images of this legendary icon, for the first time in my life I saw one pic of Shirley smoking. It was disappointing which is silly I know. She was human after all but it's sort of like seeing a Santa Claus smoking if you know what I mean lol!

I watched 'Heidi' which they aired during the memorial marathon on TCM. I remember as a little girl I used to cry when she called out 'Grandfather! Grandfather!' I loved my own grandfather very much and I couldn't imagine being separated from him in such a way. Obviously some of her movies would not be PC today - the portrayal in the film for example of the 'gypsy' woman who was about to 'buy' Shirley from the cruel governess Mrs. Rottenmeier. I imagine the Romani or Romany community today would be up in arms over such a scene. Certainly the scenes with African-Americans in Shirley's movies would likely give offense today, especially the civil war Temple movies. Still, I've always liked how Shirley wrote affectionately about the great Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson, her 'Uncle Billy'. Shirley herself called some of her own early films 'racist' and 'sexist' in tone. I have also read that Mr. Robinson had a photo of himself and Shirley (whom he called 'Little Darlin') hanging on his wall at home so clearly the affection was mutual.

Here are two of my favorite pics of the two legends dancing together - little Shirley and grown up Shirley with Uncle Billy.

Name:	Bill_Bojangles_Robinson_and_Shirley_Temple.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	50223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uncle Billy and his Little Darlin'.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	50224

I still can't quite believe she's gone bless her sweet soul.