Thread: Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger

The legendary folk singer has died.

R.I.P. Pete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Seeger
    My profile picture and avatar are pictures of the lovely Agnetha Fältskog from ABBA, not me. I am a man, and an admirer of her. Friend proposers take note!

Came here to see if anyone had posted this. This is a tough one, he was a huge influence on some of my favorite musicians and was one of the greats of all time. Huge loss.

This country lost its conscience with the passing of Pete Seeger. He and Woody were so important to the common folk during some of our worst times. Pete continued to keep everyone aware up until now. It is amazing and sometimes shocking to look below and deep into the toe tapping songs; they weren't just for a fun sing-a-long. Usually controversial but always an American. We owe a lot to Pete and his kind. I would love to have been able to ask what he thought of today's world and music. While being gracious, I'm sure there would have been a very definite opinion. RIP Pete Seeger - we'll miss ya!

Arky67 Guest
    Pete Seeger was a true hero to the working man. The world will miss him.

desertangel Guest
    Wow... I want to feel sad but I cant. I want to celebrate the extraordinary life of a man whose influence touched the reaches of biblical proportions. Whan an honor his life was. I am sad that the world just got a little darker. My hope is for his memory to continue shining a light on mankind. God bless you Pete Seeger. RIP.

1karenhb Guest
    So sorry to hear he has died. I was afraid after his wife passed last year, he wouldn't be around much longer. What a legacy he has left behind. RIP Mr. Seger.

RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Not Fade Away Guest
    I was really sort of dreading this day, knowing it would be "soon" but kept hoping for a little while longer. Pete Seeger is a true hero. What an amazing man, may his light and his songs go on forever.

PurrPurr Guest
    To think the guy was chopping wood just ten days ago.

RIP Pete...one of the greats.

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    Men like Pete, Dr. M.L. King, Jr., Mandela, Gandhi. We need them to remind us we have balls. You don't cower in fear before a sham, you look it in the eyes and spit.

He and his Grandson sat across from me on a flight out of Chicago several years ago. They seemed nice.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I remember growing hearing and singing his music. A true legend. R.I.P. Pete!
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Enoch Powell Guest
    Banjo pickers are not heroes, they are musicians. Seeger supported the Soviet Union and its crimes against humanity which is no different than being a Nazi. How do you lovers of peace and justice and Pete Seeger fans square that? Pete was the happy face mask over the true face of the brutality of the movements he believed it and advocated.

When Seeger gets to the Pearly Gates, I wonder if Saint Peter will ask him "which side are YOU on, Pete?

I'm pretty sure St. Peter will welcome him with open arms and ask him and Woody and the rest to play a little music for him. Pete Seeger was much deeper than a label of any kind. He deeply loved America and anything he did was to better this country. We do have a right to individual beliefs in this country, although it is VERY hard to remember that these days. He was also in the US Army, has been welcomed and sung for many US presidents. Research a little deeper and you might be surprised to find out who Pete Seeger really was - a man of the common folk.

1karenhb Guest
    He renounced communism back in the late 40's or early 50's and said he should have done so years earlier.

We can also be sure Pete won't be meeting Joe McCarthy at the Pearly Gates - He and Nixon are playing tiddlywinks with the Devil for eternity. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Powell View Post
    Banjo pickers are not heroes, they are musicians. Seeger supported the Soviet Union and its crimes against humanity which is no different than being a Nazi. How do you lovers of peace and justice and Pete Seeger fans square that? Pete was the happy face mask over the true face of the brutality of the movements he believed it and advocated.

When Seeger gets to the Pearly Gates, I wonder if Saint Peter will ask him "which side are YOU on, Pete?
    Hi Stu

Why you back?

orionova Guest
    RIP, Pete. You were a great man, and will long be remembered by the many people you inspired.

Poo Bah MCGee Guest
    You hate mongers are the first to forget that it is the responsibility of Americans to question their government, and not alloy your thinking to demagogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Poo Bah MCGee View Post
    You hate mongers are the first to forget that it is the responsibility of Americans to question their government, and not alloy your thinking to demagogues.
    THere are a lot of throwbacks to the 50's here
    They actually believe this shit they spout

That's the reason this country is fucked, tiny minds following other tiny minds

A lot of people embrace or espouse ideas or ideals when they are young for various reasons and then recant when they are older and wiser and have time to better understand what those things truly represent. As has been said; it's a shame that youth is wasted on the young. Some of you might argue that the event never really happened; but I don't think I developed maturity of judgment and common sense until I was about 25. Funny how my parents got so much smarter along about then; than they were when I was 17.

how would he be perceived if he was praising Hitler instead of Stalin ?? just wondering.

better dead than red.
    Last edited by cash; 02-04-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Hitler?

Stalin?

I'll throw in Pol Pot.

Can you say, "Abortions of Humanity?"; IMO.

I've said it here elsewhere; I've read that the one thing Hitler admired about the US was our treatment of Native Americans - he thought that was brilliant and some say it spawned the idea of the death camps; I can't say.

If Hitler admired something you did; then you did it all wrong and in a callous nature; unless it revolved around making the trains run on time.

Again; I can't imagine a more damning indictment than cred from Adolph.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    how would he be perceived if was praising Hitler instead of Stalin ?? just wondering.

better dead than red.
    Do you know even one of his songs?
    Have you actually read where he denounced communism?

Did't think so