Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gram Parsons

I'm reading 'Twenty Thousand Roads' by David N. Meyers, it's very good. I'm only about 150 or so pages in. He came from a very dysfunctional family, wow.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I am really getting back into Gram and forgot how many great songs he had. Some of the underrated ones I am loving right now are: Brass Buttons (a song about his mom as she was dying), 1000 Dollar Wedding (one of his saddest songs) and Hot Burtito #1 (the pain in that song is unbelievable).

Yesterday, I saw a story about him in the show "The 100 most shocking moments in music history". I didnĀ“t heard before the story about him and his ashes.
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

Just finished reading "20,000 Roads", a pretty good book that doesn't rely too much on rumor and gossip. Yes, he came from a pretty dysfunctional family. Sounds like there isn't much of it left, nor much of the wealth they originally had. They all sure had a lot of fun, though.

So sad that Gram's life and talent were wasted on drugs. Gene Clark, of the Byrds once said, when he died, he'd know he's in hell if Gram Parsons is there.

I saw no mention of Gram owning the coolest Nudie suit ever and how it related to his death. With the pills on the arm the cross on the back and the fire flicking up the legs.

Meow Guest
    Love Gram and the story of his botched cremation is a rock n' roll classic. He was also incredibly sexy to me. Here's a clip with Gram playing with the Flying Burrito Bros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITiY8M_oDo

Didn't know about his death I will have to read some more about it. That Time, flowing like a river, to the sea, etc... song is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard. Like Eleanor Rigby sad. I was standing on a dead table at work one night and it came on and I really listened to the words for the first time and I actually started crying right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meow View Post
    Love Gram and the story of his botched cremation is a rock n' roll classic. He was also incredibly sexy to me. Here's a clip with Gram playing with the Flying Burrito Bros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITiY8M_oDo
    Thanks for that vid; brilliant.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I'm surprised there has never been a movie about his life. I've never seen Grand Theft Parsons, but it sounds like it basically about his death and afterwards. I would love to see a full blown from birth to death movie. Not sure who I would get to play Gram though.

Trailer for Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel... I have it in my Netflix queue now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiolus View Post
    Trailer for Gram Parsons: Fallen Angel... I have it in my Netflix queue now.

thats a great documentary, i meant a movie though, like Walk The Line for Johnny Cash.

::Sings:: Out with the truckers, and the kickers, and the cowboy angels...and a good saloon in every single town... Just wanted to chime in and give my support for a FAD page on Gram Parsons. Gram was fascinated with the Rolling Stones and Keith Richards--he hung around the Stones so much 'til they were finally forced to kick him out of where they were staying because they had touring to do. Poor Gram. He was so talented, but was so haunted by his own demons. I really would have liked to see him succeed musically. He would have been awesome! I am glad that at least a part of him was able to remain where he wanted to be which was at Joshua Tree Park. I hope he is at peace...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Lament View Post
    ::Sings:: Out with the truckers, and the kickers, and the cowboy angels...and a good saloon in every single town... Just wanted to chime in and give my support for a FAD page on Gram Parsons. Gram was fascinated with the Rolling Stones and Keith Richards--he hung around the Stones so much 'til they were finally forced to kick him out of where they were staying because they had touring to do. Poor Gram. He was so talented, but was so haunted by his own demons. I really would have liked to see him succeed musically. He would have been awesome! I am glad that at least a part of him was able to remain where he wanted to be which was at Joshua Tree Park. I hope he is at peace...
    He did succeed musically and he was awesome. Apart from awards and album sales, he got the country rock thing happening, that culminated in bands like Jackson Browne, Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles to name a couple. He was a HUGE influence.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 09-06-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    He did succeed musically and he was awesome. Apart from awards and album sales, he got the country rock thing happening, that culminated in bands like Jackson Browne, Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles to name a couple. He was a HUGE influence.
    Ryan Adams, Counting Crows are definitely influenced by Gram.

45 years today... =(
    My Posse's On Broadway

Why aren't they making his story into a movie, instead of Oscar baiting us with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga?
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Why aren't they making his story into a movie, instead of Oscar baiting us with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga?

I think there was a documentary made for him called "Fallen Angel", it came out in 2004. I have not seen it, but from what I have read it's pretty good and has some key people in it.
    My Posse's On Broadway

The club in Georgetown (DC) where he first met Emmylou Harris is 5 minutes from me. Unfortunately it hasnā??t been a club for ages. Right now itā??s a casual restaurant; before that it was a Philadelphia Cheesesteak place :/
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull