Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valerie Harper

jlovescoffee Guest

Valerie Harper

Oh no, the cover of People Magazine headlines that Valerie Harper has terminal brain cancer.
    http://www.people.com/people/article...679402,00.html

Jacksmum Guest

Valerie Harper - 3 months to live :(

So sad...I thought she was wonderful, very funny! I hope she at least gets to spend some time with her family.
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forever-27 Guest
    Gonna miss Rhoda Morganstern

Just saw this. I hate this news! Loved Rhoda.

ajlposh Guest
    Was just about to post this. So sad

Man this is sad. Hate this news too. Really love her.
    Cindy

This is horrible! She was such a great actress, and seemed like a really sweet lady. I hope she goes peacefully...

jlovescoffee Guest
    This is a shocker. What must it be like to know you have 3 months left on earth? I'm wishing Ms. Harper a safe journey.

Wendy A. Guest
    OMG this sucks! I really love her acting! So sad!

I always liked her. Sad.

JacksTiger Guest
    I finished reading her new book, "I, Rhoda" about a month ago. Good book, very entertaining. She seems like a really nice person that you would actually like to know in real life. Her illness is very sad news. I have her in my prayers.

Awww...this really sucks.

Wishing her all the best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

This is very sad. She was wonderful in everything I saw her in. It's amazing to me that Betty White will in all likelihood outlive Valerie Harper. I did a quick check of the cast of The Mary Tyler Moore show, and with the exception of Georgia Engel (who is 62) and Ted Knight (who died at age 62 in 1986), all of the other actors are in their 70's, 80's and 90's. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I was watching the show in my jammies and laying on shag carpeting watching the show on Saturday nights.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Elizabeth Guest
    Such sad news....Valerie Harper as Rhoda was my idol, being as she always had weight issues and bad dates......she was one of TV's best actresses, and I have always followed her over the years....

Here's hoping people show her the love and admiration they have for her now.....and that her passing is painless and quick.....

How sad. What a terrible way to go, too, brain cancer just robs a person of themselves, if that makes any sense.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    How sad. What a terrible way to go, too, brain cancer just robs a person of themselves, if that makes any sense.
    I understand Nessa. I knew a person that died of brain cancer and in the end, a very unpleasant end, they were just gone. They were still alive but their mind was gone.

Remember Carlton, her Doorman? He always made me chuckle and the look on her face, rolling her eyes!

Wow. Really sad. She was my favorite character on the MTM show.

So--who is going to win the Brain Cancer Olympic event--Valerie Harper or Penny Marshall?

phirerednga Guest
    I so hated hearing this news, I will be keeping her in my heart.

Bayou Queen Guest
    So it's true about Penny Marshall? Valerie Harper looks just beautiful, if that makes any sense since she is terminally ill. So sorry to hear this.
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 03-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Oh no. Rhoda.

Forever-27 Guest
    Who has her on the death pool ?

mstee2u1972 Guest
    I saw this story posted on People.com the other day and was speechless. I absolutely love Valerie and her character Rhoda while growing up. Rhoda was must see tv in my house on Saturday nights back in the day. I recall my mother was even surprised at how much I liked that show as a child and made sure I saw the episode when Rhoda and Joe got married. I am so sorry to hear this news and wish Valerie nothing but peace and blessings.

Wendy A. Guest
    I saw her on an interview tonight where she was talking about the cancer. I wonder if she's in denial some.. She said something to the effect that the 3 months means nothing. She could have 3 months or 5 yrs. It broke my heart. I remember my mom saying something along the same lines when we were told my step dad only had weeks to live. She was in denial stage of grieving. I sure hope she can stick around longer and isn't suffering.

Wendy I really feel bad for her and her husband. I'm sure I'm going to get my ass chewed out over this but there is a fine line about having a positive attitude about a possible new treatment and being out and out giddy like she is over the prospect that she only has a limited time left on this Earth while her husband is going thru the terrible Hell he's going thru. I've always said it's worse being an observer than it is being the patient.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    Wendy I really feel bad for her and her husband. I'm sure I'm going to get my ass chewed out over this but there is a fine line about having a positive attitude about a possible new treatment and being out and out giddy like she is over the prospect that she only has a limited time left on this Earth while her husband is going thru the terrible Hell he's going thru. I've always said it's worse being an observer than it is being the patient.
    No ass chewing here. I understand exactly what you are saying and agree with it all. I get that people have to get to whatever place to accept their destiny. I also get that friends and family members don't always go to that place with them. It can truly be hell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    No ass chewing here. I understand exactly what you are saying and agree with it all. I get that people have to get to whatever place to accept their destiny. I also get that friends and family members don't always go to that place with them. It can truly be hell.
    Absolutely!!! I just saw Valerie on "The Doctors" (I was in tears by the end) and although I greatly admire her positive attitude, it does seem like she has some denial going on. I say, whatever she does to get herself through this, she should be supported. God bless her for all the entertainment she has brought into people's lives.
    Even though I know her death is imminent, I will still be sad when it comes.....

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    I wouldn't do that to you! lol I wonder if she's in denial, but is trying to remain positive for him? It's so sad, and sudden. I can't imagine how I would handle it. The thing that struck me as her being in the denial part of the acceptance process is what she said about the time frame given. My mom did it with our Step dad, and I did it with my grandfather. I remember he was in the final stages of the cancer, and I convinced myself that chemo would slow it or stop it so he'd have more time. I was certain he'd get to go run the beagles again. He never did. Nope. He didn't even last a month. Oddly, he never went through that process. We had just lost mommy, and I know he was ready to go.

Saddletramp Guest
    Oh NO, just don't pay to wake up anymore.

I can remember years ago watching Rhoda
    and Vivian Vance guest starred.

They both made jokes about taking second
    billing to a more famous female star.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I was told once by a friend that people who are suffering with terminal illnesses are given special graces from God to help them deal with the situation. Maybe denial is one of those graces. I personally would rather expect a miracle than realize in all likelihood the foreseeable future will be filled with pain, discomfort and grief. Also, if she is staying positive for her husband's sake, wow, what a gift she is giving to him. This is proof of how much she loves him.

radiojane Guest
    I think you'd have to have some degree of denial just to keep waking up in the morning, although I totally agree with Jersey as I know what it's like to watch someone die and know exactly what's coming.

I remember when I had a rare form of Lymphoma in 2002 and the Dr told my wife (he never told me) I only had days to live. I found out years later and believe me I hate
    my life so bad death will come as a friend but I was not giddy about it. On April 15, 2009 I sat in a room with my wife and the Dr said we were going to lose our little girl in
    a matter of days. There's very bad anger and denial on our parts they did not say the words but she got the gist of it when everyone walked in her room. There was no happiness on her part, she was sad but I believe she accepted it. She went on her MySpace page at the age of 17 and she said goodbye. Nobody should be happy hearing news like that. I think this is the reason you don't see parents crying when they sit with someone you know you're going to lose them. They may know and accept. The parents know and we'll never accept. I wish her child(ren) and her husband and her strength to get them thru these horrible horrible days. You can tell it's really killing her
    husband.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

darlingmissmarple Guest
    Oh, this news really hurts. Valerie is so beautiful and has always been so vibrant. She was wonderful as Rhoda. I hope her jouney is peaceful. She will be a star in my southern sky.

I found out today while Sissy and I were watching The Talk. Used to watch Rhoda every week. That poor thing.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Tiger Guest
    Yes sad news I watched Rhoda too & i loved her mother (the Redhead actress?) Bounty Paper towel lady? I pray for a miracle..But it doesn't look good.

Forever-27 Guest
    Actually Carlton the doorman , the voice actor that was never seen on Rhoda is dead also. There's a thread on him somewhere on the actors board. He did the voice of Garfield the cat also. My favorite Rhoda epi was when she was going to get married. Running in a brides dress threw the streets of New York.

Rhodas mom, forgot her name right now , is dead too. She was Rosie the waitress on thoes Bounty paper towel tv ads in the 70s. If your youung enough to remember that like I am. She coined the phrase of Bounty being the quicker picker upper. She also has a thread somewhere on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Actually Carlton the doorman , the voice actor that was never seen on Rhoda is dead also. There's a thread on him somewhere on the actors board. He did the voice of Garfield the cat also. My favorite Rhoda epi was when she was going to get married. Running in a brides dress threw the streets of New York.

Rhodas mom, forgot her name right now , is dead too. She was Rosie the waitress on thoes Bounty paper towel tv ads in the 70s. If your youung enough to remember that like I am. She coined the phrase of Bounty being the quicker picker upper. She also has a thread somewhere on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Yes sad news I watched Rhoda too & i loved her mother (the Redhead actress?) Bounty Paper towel lady? I pray for a miracle..But it doesn't look good.
    Nancy Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Who has her on the death pool ?
    Not me.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

A beautiful woman inside and out. Valerie made us laugh for many years. I pray that the rest of her life is filled with lots of love. May God bless Valerie and her family.

lisalouver Guest
    I read her article in People.

Her basic premise was Life is short, don't waste whats left.

Peace to she and her family in the time thats left.

Wendy A. Guest
    She's going to be on an upcoming episode of Hot In Cleveland with the gals from the MTM show.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2013/03...-in-cleveland/

ajlposh Guest

44. 08-29-2013, 05:53 AM
    Reason
    Because I'm a horrible person

Quote Originally Posted by ajlposh View Post
    I saw that this morning...so courageous of her!

She is a fighter. I hope this is true. Miracles do happen. http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/08/29/V...9381377795908/
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Now that's reality tv!! Not sure I can watch that - too much reality for me. Seeing a contestant who is dying and could possibly pass during the many weeks of competition - that will be gut wrenching. It will drive up the ratings I bet.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Why do I have suspicions about this whole situation? Somebody please straighten me out how you can be diagnosed with terminal brain cancer then have enough energy to do all the morning talk shows and now practice five days a week to perform the perfect ChaCha. Either her doctors are quacks or this was some sort of........

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    Why do I have suspicions about this whole situation? Somebody please straighten me out how you can be diagnosed with terminal brain cancer then have enough energy to do all the morning talk shows and now practice five days a week to perform the perfect ChaCha. Either her doctors are quacks or this was some sort of........
    Reminds one of the plot of DARK VICTORY !

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Reminds one of the plot of DARK VICTORY !
    It does! I keep thinking that I'm wrong and a horrible person to boot but my intuition is telling me something isn't right.

Bayou Queen Guest
    Valerie Harper reminds me of my BFF's from grade school who I have been helping out and taking to the doctors for over a year and a half. First breast cancer, then it spread to her lymph nodes now it's in her bones and she also has had 4 tumors in her brain for at least a year and a half. Everyone told me that if it was in her brain and bones she would just have a matter of months to live. That was a year ago. The chemo she is on now is very new and is especially for metastatic breast cancer. I didn't think she would make it to last Christmas, I am speechless. She was a school teacher, tall blonde, perky, always reminded me of Doris Day. She still gets dressed up to go shop, "do things", she wants to travel, she gets tired easily but she is like the Everready bunny. The chemo she is on now does not effect her appetite and she has a Bloody Mary from time to time. People that meet her and know she is terminally ill, cannot believe she has cancer throughout her body. I am with her at every appointment and see all the test results and I am at a loss for words. Her doctors monitor her like a hawk. She taken a licking but keeps on ticking . I remember losing two good friends to AIDS years ago before the newer drugs came out. Hopefully like AIDS, they will be able to treat cancer in a similar way, and extend the life of the person stricken.
    Last edited by Bayou Queen; 08-30-2013 at 07:34 AM.