Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Thelma Todd

I have little doubt that he snuck into the garage, or that he slapped her around a bit, but he didn't kill her.
    Not with nylons anyway.[/QUOTE]

True, I'm speculating. But sometimes those that seem to innocent are not..Thank you.

The mansion used to film Another Fine Mess still survives, wonderfully preserved (Thelma appeared in this with Laurel & Hardy). On youtube they've matched-up some screenshots with the mansion as it is now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uS_9IFqg9A

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    The mansion used to film Another Fine Mess still survives, wonderfully preserved (Thelma appeared in this with Laurel & Hardy). On youtube they've matched-up some screenshots with the mansion as it is now.
    That's a great find - and they match up locations/scenes from other movies too.
    Fascinating stuff - thanks for posting!
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Thank You great find.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Thelma Todd is an icon of the old, old, Hollywood era. She was a well known, sexy, comedian alongside the Marx Brothers as well as Laurel and Hardy.
    After all these decades, I wonder if another autopsy review would show anything as yet unknown. She was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by PooBah McGee View Post
    Thelma Todd is an icon of the old, old, Hollywood era. She was a well known, sexy, comedian alongside the Marx Brothers as well as Laurel and Hardy.
    After all these decades, I wonder if another autopsy review would show anything as yet unknown. She was brilliant.
    It's entirely possible I think that they could recover DNA from Stan even after all these years.
    That would certainly put to rest the conspiracy theories that he wasn't involved; although it still wouldn't serve as conclusive proof that he did the deed, only that he was in intimate contact with her. A lot of the "Stan didn't do it" folks will continue to dismiss even the strongest evidence to the contrary in order to shore up their theory.

Thelma was cremated, her cremains were buried with her mother. Stan and Ollie were cremated as well. Not to veer away from the subject, so was Anna Anderson, the most-famous of the Anastasia Romanov claimants. Before Anderson's death she had surgery, a small portion of her intestine was removed and this was used in the DNA testing done once the Romanov's remains were unearthed. But that, as I said, is a different subject altogether from Thelma. All these serve as examples of how it's virtually impossible to retrieve DNA from cremains.
    Last edited by Dave62; 02-16-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Sounding more and more like the perfect crime.
    And you've really got to hand it to Stan - that was nothing short of criminal genius.
    It would be decades before anybody had ever even heard of DNA testing, but he had the foresight to incinerate all of the evidence.
    Makes you wonder what other crimes he might have had a hand in that will now remain forever unsolved.

Another unsolved murder. Even if she was exhumed today, she'd probably be merely skeletal. What could be learned by examining her?

True, and good point.
    Many celebrities of today could be exhumed decades, even hundreds of years after their deaths, and in addition to their bones would still offer up breasts and lips and chins and cheeks and even eyes of various colors.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    True, and good point.
    Many celebrities of today could be exhumed decades, even hundreds of years after their deaths, and in addition to their bones would still offer up breasts and lips and chins and cheeks and even eyes of various colors.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Sounding more and more like the perfect crime.
    And you've really got to hand it to Stan - that was nothing short of criminal genius.
    It would be decades before anybody had ever even heard of DNA testing, but he had the foresight to incinerate all of the evidence.
    Makes you wonder what other crimes he might have had a hand in that will now remain forever unsolved.
    So true, the perfect crime (murder) by Stan Laurel.

Stan Laurel did not kill Thelma.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Umm, sorry but not true.

I want to believe in Bigfoot.
    I want to believe that UFOs are real and that they come from other planets.

But I have to recognize that there is simply, absolutely, zero credible evidence that Bigfoot or UFOs are real, even though almost everybody these days is walking around with a camera in their purse or pocket.

No pictures, no physical evidence of any kind.

I want to believe that Stan was a nice guy and that he didn't kill Thelma, but I have to recognize that there is simply zero evidence to support - much less prove - that he didn't murder her in that garage that night so long ago.

You have to think that if he really didn't do it as some people claim, that some kind of evidence would have surfaced during all these years.
    And then, there was, The Book:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	book.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	54973

Sad but true, Stan laurel is a murder.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Umm, sorry but not true.
    there is no proof he did. He was never a suspect. He did not kill her.

I claim it was Shirley Temple.

J.

J. Lol that is funny. Welcome to the forum.

J. Lol that is funny. Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks, PK.

J.

you're welcome.

there is no proof he did. He was never a suspect. He did not kill her.
    I still think Stan Laurel killed Thelma Todd.

Again there is no proof. Again he was never a suspect.

I would think a lot of these odd suspects are posted tong-in-cheek.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Still no proof that Shirley Temple didn't do it.
    One shouldn't be surprised, though: the girl went on to become an ambassador of the United States, she knew how to pull strings, she was friends with the big shots in LAPD. No wonder there is absolutely no trace of Thelma Todd in Shirley Temple's past, those people know how to erase traces: check Google and find out for yourselves.

Forget about Stan Laurel. Shirley Temple is the one.
    Otherwise, Thelma Todd would have been appointed ambassador in Ghana in the '70s, not Shirley. The President could have never appointed them both and Shirley Temple knew it.
    Not to mention that she had no alibi for December 15th and 16th, 1935.
    It doesn't take a PhD to draw the inevitable conclusion.

J.
    Last edited by J from Paris; 04-07-2021 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Erase a looooong Google search address

Or could it be that Stan Laurel hired Shirley Temple to kill Thelma Todd ?

Or could it be that Stan Laurel hired Shirley Temple to kill Thelma Todd ?

Harpo Marx wanted to adopt Shirley Temple.
    Back in the early 1930s.

But her parents said no. LOL. Shirley was a life long smoker and very few photos exist of her smoking. She said her fans would be disappointed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-0-1BED09C800000578-950_634x520.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	55175
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Even if some are taking this seriously, what would Stan's motive be? He was married to legal wife #2 Virginia Ruth. (Technically, common-law companion Mae Dahlberg is wife #1). The marriage to VR never seemed to gel, with multiple separations and divorce filings taking place. Biographers state that VR had a series of miscarriages in a previous marriage, but was a loving stepmom to Stan's daughter. In fact, VR stayed close to Stan's daughter after the divorce and for the rest of her life. So we can eliminate the 'kid versus stepmom' scenario causing problems in the marriage. Content to be a homemaker, VR was not one to tolerate Stan's mood swings, occasional tantrums and roving eye. An obscure mistress Alyce Ardell apparently was around during Stan's various marriages.

Can't imagine Stan having the unrequited hots for Thelma after working together all those years. His pattern seemed to be to find female companionship elsewhere when he was having problems with his current wife. He married VR shortly after his divorce from legal wife #1 Lois. Whether he got chummy with VR during his marriage to Lois is a matter of conjecture. As soon as he thought his divorce from VR was final, he married Illiana! Only to have VR storm into the judge's chambers, declaring the ceremony was invalid because the divorce wasn't finalized yet. He wasn't the type of man who chased after any woman (especially Thelma) who wasn't interested in him romantically.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harpo Marx wanted to adopt Shirley Temple.
    Back in the early 1930s.

It may be more appropriate to put this in the Shirley Temple thread, but no way in hell were her parents giving up that cash cow for adoption!
    Kind of sad that both Shirley Temple and Baby Peggy were victims of greedy parents that didn't save their daughters' earnings for their daughters' future.

https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A3682316

Never underestimate a murderous moppet

I agree Dave, I think Thelma was a target of a mob hit or her husband ex husband boyfriend, whomever he was that was living in the house killed her.

I will have to get out White Hot with Loni Anderson as Thelma. It's been awhile since I have seen it.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I will have to get out White Hot with Loni Anderson as Thelma. It's been awhile since I have seen it.
    I might dig that out of Prime. ETA it's not available on Prime. Boo. I think I saw Hot Toddy, but can't remember.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I realize this was made as a star vehicle for Loni, but she was about 45 and playing someone who died when she was 30! Looking at photos online it looks as if it's a movie of Loni Anderson playing Jayne Mansfield, who's playing Thelma Todd. Ann Jillian was willing to abandon whatever her current trademark-look was to portray Mae West. Of course, looking a lot like someone doesn't guarantee a convincing performance. But it sure helps!

35. 04-13-2021, 06:45 AM
    Reason
    duplicate

36. 04-20-2021, 06:47 PM

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    It could have been Shirley. Maybe they were going to make a Thelma Todd doll and Shirley didn't want Thelma cutting in to her profits! LOL!

He started with Thelma Todd, then he offed Jean Harlow. I think we have something, here.

Stan had nothing to do with Thelma's demise, and Harlow died of kidney failure.

Mansfield, it's a joke.

Yeah, I know. Stan got around! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by J from Paris View Post
    He started with Thelma Todd, then he offed Jean Harlow. I think we have something, here.
    Thank You, so true. a murder I never thought of.

I didn't know kidney failure could be considered a homicide.

I didn't know kidney failure could be considered a homicide.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Only if the kidney was in on it. Interesting facts her ex husband Pat DiCicco was married to Anderson Cooper's mother Gloria Vanderbilt. I wonder what he told her ! His first cousin was Albert R. Broccoli the producer of the James Bond films.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Only if the kidney was in on it. Interesting facts her ex husband Pat DiCicco was married to Anderson Cooper's mother Gloria Vanderbilt. I wonder what he told her ! His first cousin was Albert R. Broccoli the producer of the James Bond films.
    "Hollywood and the Mob" could have been a great, great read. If only it had been 100 pages thinner and the style less wordy, like the author wanted all his reading notes to be used in the book.
    But then again, to each his own.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-and.../dp/B007YWCFK0
    Last edited by J from Paris; 04-26-2021 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Misssplelling

Thought I'd add these photos, since they're from her last film The Bohemian Girl. I would've thought that stills like this wouldn't have been released; Thelma died shortly after filming ended. Hal Roach and Stan Laurel jointly agreed to edit and reshoot some of the film because of Thelma's death. Roach was concerned about the impact of negative publicity, fueled by the intense press interest in (and the rumors surrounding) Thelma's death. Thelma's scenes as the Gypsy Queen were deleted and the role recast using a much older actress. There's one brief scene with Thelma, a musical number; her singing was dubbed. Her romantic scenes with Antonio Moreno were deleted, with reshoots having him romance Oliver's wife Mae Busch. The film was a big hit in France, but banned in Hitler's Germany. Several weeks before filming commenced, the Nazis had passed the Nuremberg Laws. All people "not of German blood" were disenfranchised, with particular effects on Jews and Gypsies; a movie showing Gypsies in any sympathetic way would've been unthinkable under the Third Reich.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thelma Todd Bohemian Girl.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	55467

There is a photo of Thelma dead on the slab. It is one picture I regret having looked at. There is a deceased face photo of Thelma on the net but this is a full nude repose with the autopsy stitches. Some sick funk at the medical examiner's office leaked it out.Zasu Pitts and Patsy Kelly all declared that Roland west killed Thelma.
    Stan Laurel was an alcoholic of the first order. This is the reason Chaplin stayed away from him after both found fame. Stan was told to quit drinking in 1960 by his doctor or he would die in weeks with Stan's diabetes a factor, and to Stan's credit he quit.
    Massive alcoholics Slim Summerville and Mary Ford had severe diabetes and were warned by their doctors to quit or die and both preferred dying in diabetic comas.

Even if some are taking this seriously, what would Stan's motive be?
    He was just freaking mean, the murderous sort.
    And he was also an early pioneer of crystal meth, I've read.

One disturbing thing about Stan Laurel is his whereabouts cannot be documented for November 22, 1963.

There is also a photograph circulating the internet of Laurel with a Unicorn Bigfoot, but I think that photo could be fake.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    One disturbing thing about Stan Laurel is his whereabouts cannot be documented for November 22, 1963.

There is also a photograph circulating the internet of Laurel with a Unicorn Bigfoot, but I think that photo could be fake.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post

Very True.