Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 151

Thread: Thelma Todd

  1. #1

    Thelma Todd

    Or Hot Toddy as she was often called, she was famous in the 20's and 30's.
    She died in mysterious circumstances in her garage of carbon monoxide poisoning. I enjoy reading about early Hollywood mysteries and deaths.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    93
    Very interesting case, I agree . . . I first read about it on findadeath.com. Anyone that was in bed with the mob (at the time or previously) should not be surprised if this type of thing happens to them. I would really like to see all the questions answered though!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    cornville USA
    Posts
    36
    I actually heard her story on E! "Mysteries and Scandals" w/ A J Benza. I am in love with that man! Was interesting with the whole mob thing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,353
    Lana Turner's mob guy Stompanado n his knife in the tummy, guess back then when the mob ruled hollywood n (alot more), starlets had not much choice in bf s depending how famous they were or wanted to be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    93
    The mob had a lot of interests in movie studios, sleeping with a gangster could get you great roles . . . a sort of casting-couch for those in denial.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Otherside of the Mirror~
    Posts
    1,707
    loni anderson played her in a movie called: White Hot: The Mysterious Murder of Thelma Todd, i love that movie~

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by Btvs2678 View Post
    I actually heard her story on E! "Mysteries and Scandals" w/ A J Benza. I am in love with that man! Was interesting with the whole mob thing.
    That was my show! Fame, ain't it a bitch. I really miss it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17

    Thelma

    There is a book called Hot Toddy, I think it's by Laurie Jacobson. It's a great book.
    I used to watch Mysteries & Scandals religiously!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Otherside of the Mirror~
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by harlow1137 View Post
    There is a book called Hot Toddy, I think it's by Laurie Jacobson. It's a great book.
    looking for it on amazon, i have to read this~ there isn't much out there of her, that i could find on the web~ must have!!!~

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17
    Hi goddess6,
    You'll really like the book! Maybe check ebay?
    And you're right, there really isn't alot out there on her which sucks.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,186
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    That was my show! Fame, ain't it a bitch. I really miss it.
    Same here..that show even my husband watched!
    Zombie kitteh is Hungry!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    I have always wondered about Thelma Todd..I think she was a mob hit. There are so many stories about what she did te day of her death sightings with a ceratain mob guy....friends say they saw her driving around town..also the food she ate peas and carrots I think? weird! I cant remeber if that was served at the party she was at or not. Poor Hot Toddy....she was beautiful and so talented!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,163
    "Hot Toddy" The True Story of Hollywood's Most Shocking Crime- The Murder of Thelma Todd. By Andy Edmonds ISBN 0-380-71132-X.

    Still have it. Sitting here in front of me. I've read it many times. So there.

  14. #14
    I read that book some time ago. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. Another version of what happened is that director Roland West confessed on his death bed that they had a fight because she didn't come from a party at the time he wanted her to. She got in the car to leave & he closed the garage door to keep her from leaving.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    1,598
    Mob hit no doubt about it...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    Is the building where Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Restaurant (whatever the name was) still in existence?
    I have to say, I thought she was pretty cute but no one is as lovely as Louise Brooks!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Is the building where Thelma Todd's Sidewalk Restaurant (whatever the name was) still in existence?
    I have to say, I thought she was pretty cute but no one is as lovely as Louise Brooks!
    It sure is. As big as life, right smack dab on Pacific Coast Highway. I've even made the journey to see the garage where she took her last breath.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    What do they use that building for now, Soundqcar?
    I'm just curious.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    What do they use that building for now, Soundqcar?
    I'm just curious.
    It sat vacant for MANY years, then was purchased by a religious movie group. I have been inside once, there are still remnants from the old days.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    It sat vacant for MANY years, then was purchased by a religious movie group. I have been inside once, there are still remnants from the old days.
    I'd love to be able to go to inside all sorts of old time buildings. I'd love to have that feel of being someplace that the old stars have been.
    I'm absolutely Not a fan of the "new" Hollywood but I sure like the old Hollywood.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Btvs2678 View Post
    I actually heard her story on E! "Mysteries and Scandals" w/ A J Benza. I am in love with that man! Was interesting with the whole mob thing.

    I loved that show too! Wish it was back!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    573
    Here's the infamous clip from "Monkey Business", where Groucho Marx tells Thelma "I know, I know, you're a woman who's been getting dirty brakes, well we can clean and tighten your brakes but you'll have to stay in the garage all night. "

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMYQ-1n78s

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    groucho: 'i wish you'd keep my hands to yourself...' lmao
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 04-17-2008 at 08:40 PM.
    pull the string!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberlights View Post
    I read that book some time ago. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. Another version of what happened is that director Roland West confessed on his death bed that they had a fight because she didn't come from a party at the time he wanted her to. She got in the car to leave & he closed the garage door to keep her from leaving.
    That's what I'd read as well. There were however plenty of loose ends ranging from those who claimed to have seen THELMA on SUNDAY still wearing her evening gown from the previous night to the fact that she had supposedly been receiving death threats shortly before her death.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    206

    Not Suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Amberlights View Post
    I read that book some time ago. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. Another version of what happened is that director Roland West confessed on his death bed that they had a fight because she didn't come from a party at the time he wanted her to. She got in the car to leave & he closed the garage door to keep her from leaving.
    I think if Thelma Todd got in the car and West shut the door, all she'd have to do is stop the car and get out. She could have shut off the engine. She didn't have to die -- that way. I'm sure you've all seen the first Hollywood Babylon book, Kenneth Anger. Inside is a photo of Thelma Todd with her face bloodied and on the steering wheel. She was murdered.

    jigsaw

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,169
    She & WEST may have had a physical fight too, but keep another thing in mind: TODD had 2 broken teeth in her mouth when they found her; how did that happen ?


    WEST


    WEST' ex-wife
    JEWEL CARMEN;
    she claimed to have seen TODD on Sunday afternoon


    THELMA TODD'
    "Sidewalk Cafe"
    the home she shared with WEST was directly behind it, up the hill


    the stairs behind the
    'Sidewalk Cafe'
    that TODD would've had to have climbed
    to get to the garage; how did a drunken TODD climb all of those steps without marring her satin evening pumps when all of the policewomen who tried the same thing got their shoes scuffed ?
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    She & WEST may have had a physical fight too, but keep another thing in mind: TODD had 2 broken teeth in her mouth when they found her; how did that happen ?


    WEST


    WEST' ex-wife
    JEWEL CARMEN;
    she claimed to have seen TODD on Sunday afternoon


    THELMA TODD'
    "Sidewalk Cafe"
    the home she shared with WEST was directly behind it, up the hill


    the stairs behind the
    'Sidewalk Cafe'
    that TODD would've had to have climbed

    to get to the garage; how did a drunken TODD climb all of those steps without marring her satin evening pumps when all of the policewomen who tried the same thing got their shoes scuffed ?
    Someone punched her in the mouth so hard it broke teeth. Then that's where the blood comes in. He must have knocked her out, whoever he was. Did you ever see her picture in Hollywood Babylon? What a force it would take to knock out your own teeth. This wasn't suicide.

    And about the scuffed shoes, maybe she was a lot more familiar with the steps than the lady cops. Or was she carried up to the garage?

    jigsaw
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 04-27-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: wanted to be more specific

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,169
    I agree; there's no question that somebody had to have punched her in the mouth to have broken several teeth. (And) I think that she was either carried to the garage or driven to. The chaffeur who had taken her to the party thrown by IDA LUPINO claimed that TODD had instructed him to let her out at the cafe (down below) on PCH.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nunya Bidness
    Posts
    10,843
    Any dead pics?
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

    - R.H. Sin

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,071
    did the three stoooges ever have to deliver ice up those stairs?

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Here's the infamous clip from "Monkey Business", where Groucho Marx tells Thelma "I know, I know, you're a woman who's been getting dirty brakes, well we can clean and tighten your brakes but you'll have to stay in the garage all night. "

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stMYQ-1n78s
    I remember this from a Marx Brothers movie
    a true classic.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,163
    If I recall from the book- Thelma couldn't go up and down that set of stairs- she had a heart condition or something that prevented it.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

    RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Towson, Maryland
    Posts
    5,169
    Dead shot huh ?
    Alright, here's one of THELMA TODD' body dead in her car in the garage before they removed her for the coroner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    a copy of thelma todd's death certificate:

    http://www.classicvideostreams.com/B.../Todd-T_de.jpg
    pull the string!

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    Has anyone ever seen the after autopsy shot! Boy its awful!! You can see the stiches for the y cutting and also she has been washed off and her hair is wet..its an eeris shot! Also the pic of her in the coffin she looked like she was sleeping.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Soon to be Georgetown, SC
    Posts
    605
    do you have a copy lisa?? never saw it

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,941
    No I saw it on some mafia documentry and was shoked at how she looked lying there..Im gonna look tho.....

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    2,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    No I saw it on some mafia documentry and was shoked at how she looked lying there..Im gonna look tho.....

    cool lisa!
    pull the string!

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Soon to be Georgetown, SC
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    No I saw it on some mafia documentry and was shoked at how she looked lying there..Im gonna look tho.....

    You are awesome!!! Thanks in advance!

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by death hag dee View Post
    do you have a copy lisa?? never saw it
    It's at Scott's site: http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/t...ostautopsy.jpg

    enjoy

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    1,587
    I read Hot Toddy a long time ago. I believe it was the book's theory that the mob killed Thelma for wanting them out of her restaurant business.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    I think she was a mob hit...I don't think she committed suicide because she was a tough cookie in her day and didn't want the mob to infiltrate her business like they had done to so many others.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    I think she was a mob hit...I don't think she committed suicide because she was a tough cookie in her day and didn't want the mob to infiltrate her business like they had done to so many others.
    I agree with you.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1

    Thelma Todd

    Hello,
    I was reading your article about Thelma Todd, and at the end of it a man says that he has a photo of her standing in front of the Lincoln KBV12 when it was new. Does anyone have access to this photo? I would love to have it for a personal collection. Thank you!

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    25,766

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    270
    I've stood in the garage she was found in. It's up the hill and about 100 yards to the right of the restaurant. I happened to walk over there from the restaurant and the garage door was standing open. i determined no one was in there and went inside for about 30 seconds. It was packed w/ old stuff- 20s looking luggage and all sorts of old 'garage-type' items. Looked like it hadnt been touched in years.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    I've stood in the garage she was found in. It's up the hill and about 100 yards to the right of the restaurant. I happened to walk over there from the restaurant and the garage door was standing open. i determined no one was in there and went inside for about 30 seconds. It was packed w/ old stuff- 20s looking luggage and all sorts of old 'garage-type' items. Looked like it hadnt been touched in years.
    Very Interesting... Wonder who owns the place and if that stuff belonged to Thelma.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    119
    Thelma Todd

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    892
    Her story was the one on the FAD profiles that gave me this ..... feeling in my tummy.. Like it was yesterday and i dont know why it affected me like that.
    "So, If you meet me have some courtesy have some sympathy and some taste, use all you're well earned politics, Or I'll lay your soul to waste."
    Sympathy for the Devil


  50. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    KC, MO
    Posts
    309
    Was trolling around dead celeb sites (as you do) and came across this pic of Toddy dead in the car. Had never seen it before and thought I would share:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •