Thread: Dream Theater

Dream Theater

Anyone here know of and/or a fan of the band Dream Theater? I have been a fan since first hearing them in 1993. They are my favorite band of all-time. If you haven't heard of them and like top knotch musicianship, check them out!

melody Guest
    Meeeeeeeee!!!
    Scenes from a Memory is one of those CDs that I can play over and over and not get tired...talk about an amazing concept album!!!
    Saw them in Puerto Rico in 2004 for their Octavarium tour.
    BUT... I don't think I've paid too much attention to them in the last 10 years. I'll go for anything before Train of Thought though...

I honestly haven't listened to much of them, but their drummer is amazing.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I've seen Dream Theater 5 times between 2002 - 2009. I got to meet them in 2005 when they were on Gigantour. I also met Mike Portnoy in 2009 right before the show (the last time I saw them). My favorite song is Octavarium. They are my all-time favorite band. I was so sad when Mike Portnoy left them band. Mike Mangini is a great drummer and worthy replacement but still bums me out. I will not go out of my way to see them without Mike. Mike's new band Adrenaline Mob is pretty badass. More straightforward type of rock.

I didn't know Adrenaline Mob was Portnoy. I'll have to check them out now. I'm always on the hunt for good bands I'm unfamiliar with, since most of today's music sucks, on its knees, with a straw.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I agree with you Nessa. I am not a fan of newer music across the board. I am always listening to my Ipod (120GB). It is loaded with music I WANT to hear. Radio is just plain terrible. AMOB is a great band. Portnoy put together a great band. You could go back and check out some Dream Theater too as you haven't heard them much. Every album is good and has great moments, of course I am biased LOL.

melody Guest
    Oh well yeah I forgot I had seen Portnoy and Petrucci separately during the G3 (2007) where they played with Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani

I want to see Adrenaline Mob but mostly for Russell Allen. Had the chance to meet him last year, dude's a trip!

Here is one of my favorite Dream Theater songs. I saw the band 2 nights before they filmed this DVD (Score) at Radio City Music Hall April 1st 2006. I saw them at the Orpheum Theater in Boston March 30th.

I like DT, saw them in San Diego a few years back. Petrucci and Myung are great musicians. IMO the singer (James LaBrie) isn't at the same level of musicianship as the rest of the band, but it obviously works.

I cant get into them. They are all great technical musicians , but their music don't make me feel anything. It takes soul and emotion to catch my attention, not solo's and weird time signatures.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 03-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.

The artwork and track listing has been revealed for the new album! http://dreamtheater.net/board_posts/...sting-revealed

Saw Portnoy recently with Adrenaline Mob hes such a damn talented drummer.

Dream Theater really knows how to wank musically. I haven't go to see them live yet but I am always told you are in for quite the show when its Dream Theater.

I never got to see Adrenaline Mob, but i have seen Dream Theater 5 times. 3 of those were the "evening with" format which was 3 hours! Awesome shows. Not the same with Mike Mangini. He is incredible in His own right.

Portnoy just ejected from Adrenaline mob and is currently working on a project with Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen

The new album comes out February 22nd. Can't wait to see what it sounds like. I wasn't that into the Astonishing.