Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Documentaries

Oh, thanks for the recommendation! I will look for this and watch it when I'm in the mood for a good cry. I'm so glad you mentioned that the main characters are all doing well - I can breathe easier when I watch it!

Seems to me I remember you participating in something like this for the returning troops?
    Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    Oh, thanks for the recommendation! I will look for this and watch it when I'm in the mood for a good cry. I'm so glad you mentioned that the main characters are all doing well - I can breathe easier when I watch it!

Seems to me I remember you participating in something like this for the returning troops?
    You have a good memory! I'm with the Pease Greeters in New Hampshire. They do the same thing as the Bangor, ME greeters but they do a little more than Maine does. They send care packages and will assist service members any way they can. They also send Christmas stockings this time of year overseas to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Iraq and S. Korea. My mother and I made 150 stockings this year (almost 3,000 were made by all the greeters).

Unfortunately, I can't get to Pease to visit flights because the airport is an hour away from where I live and I work full time (my job gets in the way of my greeting LOL). But I do other stuff for them, like write to troops, donate care package items and make stockings.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    You have a good memory! I'm with the Pease Greeters in New Hampshire.
    You're good people! I remembered about this group because it touched me when you mentioned it some time ago.

BTW I found the documentary on Netflix and put it at the top of my DVD list. Thanks again!

You're good people! I remembered about this group because it touched me when you mentioned it some time ago.

BTW I found the documentary on Netflix and put it at the top of my DVD list. Thanks again!
    Thank you. Everyone has a cause they are devoted to. For us, it's the troops, for others it may be animals or the environment. For us, there is nothing more satisfying than receiving a thank you not or email thanking us for our support. To know that small gesture makes a difference in someone's life is a great feeling.

I hope you enjoy the film. And if you get a chance Google Aron Gaudet, he is the one who married his co-filmer after the movie was made. Her name is Gita I think. They had no money because all their $ went toward the film so a place in Maine provided them with a free wedding. It was beautiful. The 3 Greeters from the film attended the wedding too (well the lady from the film is Aron's mother so she had to be there LOL).

Ive always been interested and followed the Paradise Lost documentaries on HBO. I remember watching the documentary late one night on the summer before going into 6th grade and just being completely blown away by it.

This is going to be on in select areas on PBS. Looks interesting, :

Pioneers of Television Crime Dramas

Creative forces such as Jack Webb, Desi Arnaz and Bruce Geller emerged as pioneers of the crime drama genre. Bill Cosby and Angie Dickinson discuss their breakthroughs for African-American and women actors.

This is a documentary that came out about 4 years ago. It is very touching and moving and if you don't cry during it, well, then you're a Vulcan . This is the trailer for it. It aired on PBS and you may be able to watch it online for free somewhere.

It's about the Bangor Airport Troop Greeters (specifically three who were all senior citizens) who met troops going to or coming from Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm not sure how active they are now that the Iraq war is over. But the folks were very devoted and showed up at all hours of the day and night, in snow and rain to greet the troops as they stopped in Bangor to refuel. As far as I know, the three main characters are doing well. Bill, the oldest (he was in his late 80's at the time of filiming) is now in a nursing home, but he's doing well.

Another thing about the movie, the couple who made the film ended up falling in love while filming and got married shortly after it was released.
    OK - I can confirm I am not a Vulcan. Watched it last night and had a good ol' fashioned cathartic cry. Beautifully presented. Thanks for the recommendation.

OK - I can confirm I am not a Vulcan. Watched it last night and had a good ol' fashioned cathartic cry. Beautifully presented. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It is quite a touching film.

What was your favorite part? I have so many, from the soldiers making snow angels, to Old Bill singing "God Bless America". And I loved Jerry "Not as lean, not as Mean, but still a Marine" LOL. He is a character.

From what I've read and seen on FB, Aron and his wife have essentially adopted Bill as their grandfather. If you're interested in sending him a card I can get his address for you. Last year he fell and broke both hips and Aron's FB page or the films FB page posted his address at the nursing home he resides at now, so people could send him cards and letters. He loves that kind of stuff. I sent him a letter but I never heard back so I take it to mean he must have gotten hundreds.

I just added that to my Netflix queue. I should have it next week!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I just added that to my Netflix queue. I should have it next week!
    Awesome. I can't wait to see your thoughts on it. Just make sure to have a box of tissues ready. It's not a sad movie, just very touching.

pixiepereira Guest
    Nessa, thank you for the heads up! I will check it out, sounds interesting, and sad.

I saw this too and I know exactly which segment you are talking about, it really touched me.
    Which documentary is this one please?

Quote Originally Posted by pixiepereira View Post
    Which documentary is this one please?
    I am not sure, I think it was something on a show on TV rather than a movie type documentary. I will look around and see if I can find out what it was called. A documentary you can get that is very similar is called "A Certain Kind of Death" and it deals with people who die with no relatives. It's a bit dated but still very interesting and sad. In fact if I had not just watched it I would probably have told you that's what it was. But I the show dj and I were talking about is different because there is a part where the guy says something about throwing away pictures that were memories to someone and it made me so sad. I will update if I find any information about this other one.

I still haven't found that specific thing but this might be of interest to some of you. Lots of documentaries about death. Keep scrolling, there are a lot of things on there. I'm definitely bookmarking this page.
    http://documentaryaddict.com/documentaries-about/death

I found info on another docu in the same genre made by BBC channel 4, called Watch Me Disappear. So far I can't find anyway to watch it though, and its not on Netflix.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 12-21-2013 at 10:27 AM.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It is quite a touching film.

What was your favorite part? I have so many, from the soldiers making snow angels, to Old Bill singing "God Bless America". And I loved Jerry "Not as lean, not as Mean, but still a Marine" LOL. He is a character.

From what I've read and seen on FB, Aron and his wife have essentially adopted Bill as their grandfather. If you're interested in sending him a card I can get his address for you. Last year he fell and broke both hips and Aron's FB page or the films FB page posted his address at the nursing home he resides at now, so people could send him cards and letters. He loves that kind of stuff. I sent him a letter but I never heard back so I take it to mean he must have gotten hundreds.
    There were so many great moments (I agree about the soldiers and the snow angels!) I liked the whole concept of Joan coming to terms with saying "goodbye," rather than being only a "greeter." She had to face that aspect through Amy. Oh yes I would love an address to send a greeting to Bill! Thanks!

BTW - We're discussing the film, "The Way We Get By."

UPDATE - I just went to the Facebook page and found Bill's address - Thanks!
    Last edited by homesgirl; 12-21-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Post update

Has anyone seen the documentary "Drunk in Public"? OMG! It is crazy! Here is a preview of it. I don't know yet if you can find the whole thing online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoAgkizoVCk

I recently watched the Peter and Fran Jackson's documentary on the West Memphis 3 called "West of Memphis" its really fantastic and like the Paradise Lost docs for HBO it dives deeper into the killings at Robin Hood Hills.

There were so many great moments (I agree about the soldiers and the snow angels!) I liked the whole concept of Joan coming to terms with saying "goodbye," rather than being only a "greeter." She had to face that aspect through Amy. Oh yes I would love an address to send a greeting to Bill! Thanks!

BTW - We're discussing the film, "The Way We Get By."

UPDATE - I just went to the Facebook page and found Bill's address - Thanks!
    Oh good, I'm glad you found Bill's address. I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear from you.

Oh good, I'm glad you found Bill's address. I'm sure he will be thrilled to hear from you.
    So ironic and sad - just saw on Facebook that Bill passed away on Christmas day. I think his last years were filled with a lot of admiration and love. Now he can be with his beloved wife.

So ironic and sad - just saw on Facebook that Bill passed away on Christmas day. I think his last years were filled with a lot of admiration and love. Now he can be with his beloved wife.
    Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. But you're right, he was reunited with his dear wife.

It's kind of ironic, the man who started the Pease Greeters (the group I'm with) passsed away on Dec. 23rd. He had retired from his position with the Pease Greeters 2 years ago because he had breast cancer. I remember he said that we would see him at flights but he just wasn't going to run the Greeters anymore. He only attended one flight, that I know of. I guess he was just that ill. He was 84.

I watched a really good documentary recently called We Were Here. It's 3 different men talking about their experience of living in the Castro in the early 80's when AIDS started. Very sad but fascinating documentary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wendy A. Guest
    I recently watched The Men Who Build America. It was a mini series on H2.. really good watch!

Just watched this:

Amazing!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I see the Documentary about Roger Ebert will be shown at
    the Sundance Film Festival this year.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I so enjoy all the Documentaries short what is up
    for the Oscars. (seen them all)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I am currently watching Air Disasters on Netflix. I mean I am glued to it. They even dramatized the haunting of flight 401 that went down in the Everglades.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I like a lot of historical documentaries. I've also gotten into things like Brad Meltzer's Decoded. I don't always agree with their outcomes, but I get into their shows.

I love documentaries. So far this week, I've also watched one about Hitler, Alexander the Great, and another, but I can't remember what. I want to watch Joan of Arc.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Just watched one on Pompeii done by National Geographic. Was very good.....although I know how it ended! Amazing not only how the ancients lived, but also how they died
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mcafgr View Post
    Just watched one on Pompeii done by National Geographic. Was very good.....although I know how it ended! Amazing not only how the ancients lived, but also how they died
    I saw that listed and will probably watch it later. It is interest how they died--or how they might have died. Alexander the Great might have died from typhoid fever and then their is King Tut who probably died from blood poisoning. Such every day killers to fell such unique men. For some reason I have always been creepy-facinated on those who fell on their swords; it even speaks of leaders and whatnot doing this in the Bible.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

luckyinlove Guest
    I just watched "The Imposter" on Netflix...one of the craziest docs i've ever seen, highly recommended!

Also watched "The Price of Gold" about the Kerrigan/Harding Olympic craze. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    I just watched "The Imposter" on Netflix...one of the craziest docs i've ever seen, highly recommended!

Also watched "The Price of Gold" about the Kerrigan/Harding Olympic craze. Very well done.
    I've seen them both and you're right - they're awesome.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

If anyone here is a fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies I highly recommend Never Sleep Again the Elm Street Legacy. It's like 4 hours long but it talks about each of the movies, making them, etc... with lots of pictures from the sets and stories about filming. Talks to lots of the actors from each movie. I loved it. It was great to see them now.

If anyone here is a fan of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies I highly recommend Never Sleep Again the Elm Street Legacy. It's like 4 hours long but it talks about each of the movies, making them, etc... with lots of pictures from the sets and stories about filming. Talks to lots of the actors from each movie. I loved it. It was great to see them now.
    A great doc! I'd also recommend His Name was Jason...about the Friday the 13th movies. There is also a Halloween 25th anniversary doc, and a Psycho doc. Both pretty good as well.
    "I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being" --Stand by Me

Love the Nightmare doc. Tuesday tore herself UP! Lezlie and her "pet" were interesting. The Friday the 13th one is also very good.

Yeah, I was wondering what was up with Lezlie Deane in that interview. I looked at her Wiki and it says she was in the group Fem2Fem. I would have never heard of them except a girl I was friends with in CA was in that group too!! Her name was Julie Park.

After watching the doc I have to watch 2 again. I was young when I watched it so I missed all the homosexual subtext. And Robert Rusler was hot as hell in that and Weird Science.

I will have to check out the Friday the 13th doc as well.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 02-23-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Anybody seen From One Moment to the Next? I recently saw it on Netfix. A very good cautionary against texting while driving, with offenders and their victims. Very sad. I mean, it featured a cop who kept fighting tears as he talked about a little boy he found in a ditch after a van hit an Amish family's buggy.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Anybody seen From One Moment to the Next? I recently saw it on Netfix. A very good cautionary against texting while driving, with offenders and their victims. Very sad. I mean, it featured a cop who kept fighting tears as he talked about a little boy he found in a ditch after a van hit an Amish family's buggy.
    Saw it yesterday....(one Second to the next) .....Werner Herzog has done some great Documentaries......check out his death penalty series, very well done
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    March 1934-July 2016

Saw it yesterday....(one Second to the next) .....Werner Herzog has done some great Documentaries......check out his death penalty series, very well done
    I need to sync my brain and my fingers. I will check that out. Thanks.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Giada Guest
    Ethiopia Source of the Blue Nile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E17dCWtAOk

For the Bible Tells Me So ... Christian families in support of gay rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyA-lv8JQnw

Deliver Us From Evil ... Amy Berg Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zn4ueh7Zs0

May be available on Netflix.

Adding one more ...

Three Gorges Dam ... China

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9K82ZVdMA
    Last edited by Giada; 04-26-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Just watched "Shut Up Little Man".
    Uggh the way these fucking greedy cunts exploited these guys pisses me off. Especially that nasty eddy lee sausage. Sad and gross. Funny in the beginning. Im so disgusted.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Thanks for the Ich! Never heard of that before, about to watch it now.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Just watched "Shut Up Little Man".
    Uggh the way these fucking greedy cunts exploited these guys pisses me off. Especially that nasty eddy lee sausage. Sad and gross. Funny in the beginning. Im so disgusted.
    Ich.....did you see this on TV, Netflix?......can't find it

Thx
    March 1934-July 2016

Thx
    Sorry to intrude but I looked it up after reading this thread... Netflix has it on DVD but not streaming. I put it in my queue. I could never live on their streaming service alone. Only 67/498 of my items in queue are available to stream.

Thx
    I foun
    d it on some streaming site. If you want I'll search my history and send you the link.

I saw it on YouTube .. don't know if it was the whole version though.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    I saw it on YouTube .. don't know if it was the whole version though.
    The full version is about 90 minutes. I couldnt find it on youtube but I was sloshed.

Thx
    I watched it on Netflix, but its not there any longer.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I watched it on Netflix, but its not there any longer.
    Thx anyway, but I am pulling it off of Pirate Bay
    March 1934-July 2016

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but run on over to Netflix & watch "How to Die In Oregon". Awesomeness.

Giada Guest
    Snakes

Invasion of the Giant (Burmese) Pythons

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...oduction/5532/

I watched only a portion of a PBS doc on Snake Island, couldn't locate it on their site.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/s...ueimada-grande

The snakes on Queimada Grande, however, are a unique species of pit viper, the golden lancehead. The lancehead genus of snakes is responsible for 90% of Brazilian snakebite-related fatalities. The golden lanceheads that occupy Snake Island grow to well over half a meter long, and they possess a powerful fast-acting poison that melts the flesh around their bites. Golden lanceheads are so dangerous that, with the exception of some scientific outfits, the Brazilian Navy has expressly forbidden anyone from landing on the island.

Posted this in the tread about Henry Darger.
    Fucking amazing: