Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nanny arrested in stabbing deaths of 2 NYC children

Nanny arrested in stabbing deaths of 2 NYC children

A nanny has been arrested in the stabbing deaths of two Upper West Side children ages two and six.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/ny...-arrested.html

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

tarsier Guest
    Why didn't the neighbor call the cops when she heard the scream? She might have saved one of those children. Don't tell me she didn't want to get involved other than talking to the press. I'll never understand New Yorkers for which I am glad.

Biter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    Why didn't the neighbor call the cops when she heard the scream? She might have saved one of those children. Don't tell me she didn't want to get involved other than talking to the press. I'll never understand New Yorkers for which I am glad.
    I think the scream that the article was referring to was the mother (when she discovered the dead children).

Wendy A. Guest
    That's so sad. I cannot imagine the pain the parents are in.

1karenhb Guest
    This is so horrific. I have been following this on People's site since last night. It said the nanny worked for the family about a year. What the hell caused the nanny to do this? I can't imagine what the mom is going through having found the bodies.

Random thought.. Are they sure her stab wounds were self inflicted?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Random thought.. Are they sure her stab wounds were self inflicted?
    I was wondering that too...probably, but the article didn't say either way. Journalism just isn't what it used to be...

Nanny Stabbed Herself in Front of Mom after Attack on Kids: Cops....

http://www.people.com/people/article...642859,00.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

That poor, poor mom. I feel so bad for her and her living child, and her husband.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by cash; 10-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Kevin Krim: We Are Heartbroken...

http://www.people.com/people/article...642946,00.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

it's nausea-inducing.
    and puts all my piddly-ass problems in perspective.
    off to hug my 6-year-old now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This has got to be one of the saddest stories I've heard. The pictures on the daily mail page showing the mother screaming as they're taking her to this hospital are haunting -- so much anguish That poor family...

Mammy Guest
    What a horrible betrayal by someone they trusted! Those children were adorable, especially the little boy. I may be way off, but I think she killed them to punish the family because she was jealous of them. She was having financial problems, lost her apartment, and was forced to move in with her sister. The Krims lived in a $10,000 a month apartment, the Dad works for CNBC, and they seemed to live a pretty cushy life. I think she seethed with resentment toward them and took away what meant the most to them. It's a good thing one little girl was with her Mom or I'm sure all of the children would have been murdered.

Those poor people. How tragic! I feel so bad for them.

I suspect this nanny will use the "I'm not responsible because I was crazy at the time of the crime so I'm not responsible for the horrible crime I commited". If she was "nuts" enough to kill two innocent children then she is too nuts to live in society. She needs to be put away for the rest of her life.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Eeven after they cleaned the place up I dont think I could live there. How could you walk into the bath and not relive that horrible time? I dont understand why she killed kids that were not hers. It makes no sense to me. Was this an act of revenge for something? One of my cops friends who is not on the case of course thinks that maybe there was something she was angry at the parents about and that is why she kiiled the kids. SHe was 50 and the father was 36? SO I don't think there was an affair going on. I hope this woman tells why she did this and I hope she doesnt get off with an insanity plea.

Unidentified Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    What a horrible betrayal by someone they trusted! Those children were adorable, especially the little boy. I may be way off, but I think she killed them to punish the family because she was jealous of them. She was having financial problems, lost her apartment, and was forced to move in with her sister. The Krims lived in a $10,000 a month apartment, the Dad works for CNBC, and they seemed to live a pretty cushy life. I think she seethed with resentment toward them and took away what meant the most to them. It's a good thing one little girl was with her Mom or I'm sure all of the children would have been murdered.
    I tend to believe this as well.

pwem Guest
    I read an article about this on CNN and it was about the most pisspoor piece of journalism I have ever read in my life.

Sad story and all I need are the facts, ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I think you missed your calling as a detective. I've been wracking my brain (there's still some left, the 1970's fortunately didn't get all of it!) and thinking "WTF" and your explanation makes absolute sense to me.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

The nanny was seeing a shrink & the family was helping her? Neighbor states nanny was unraveling prior to the murders. Scary.
    Last edited by LLC; 10-29-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Unidentified Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Neighbor states nanny was unraveling prior to the murders. Scary.
    ... And the parents continued to leave their children in her care? Or didn't they recognize the level she'd slip to? Sorry all around still.

pwem Guest
    Excuse me? They knew she was unstable and still allowed her to care for the kids? Goodgrief!

Mammy Guest
    I think unstable means different things to different people. I'm sure they knew she had lost her apartment and was living with her sister and that she was having financial difficulties, but I don't see how that would translate into her brutally stabbing two very young children to death, especially since she had been their nanny for a while beforehand. I'm sure we all know people with financial problems, but that wouldn't make us suspect them of being wannabe child killers.

Neighbors said she was acting strange... I guess she had told people she was seeing a psychiatrist.

Ortega had been living with her sister in Hamilton Heights, and a neighbor said, "She lost a lot of weight. She looked very unhealthy. It looked like she was going through some problems. She had aged a lot — like seven years in a few months." A source told the Post that "Ortega, a Dominican who has been a US citizen for 10 years, complained of money troubles, and her employers, Marina and Kevin Krim, had given her more hours of work. They even hooked her up with a family they knew for a baby-sitting job on the side — but the family turned her down after an interview because she was, 'a little too grumpy,' a law-enforcement source said."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...YcYmIYxl9rL3KK
    Last edited by LLC; 11-01-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Yikes. Can you just imagine how shaken (and relieved) that family feels (who turned her down for being "a little too grumpy")?!
    I'll be surprised if she explains her actions or even apologizes. Perhaps her legal defense team would advise against it, anyway. I kind of wish we could fast-forward to the Huffington Post article stating she's been convicted and will be serving LWOP...
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Sounds like background information gleaned from others, not the nanny's direct quote or reason for doing what she did. Didn't the family offer her more hours to help her cover her debts? And didn't they travel to the DR together to stay with the nanny's folks? Something smells weird...
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

I thought they were helping her out by giving her extra hours to help her with her money problems. I can see something like Mammy's situation up there that she resented this family and the money they have. I Did find it interesting that her kid goes to a private school and the kids she took care of went to a public school. That said, I wonder why this mother even had a nanny. Sounds like she taught one class a week? I guess she needed help to have someone watch the kids while she took another kid to something like on the day they were killed. But plenty of moms are able to handle getting kids to different things. I can understand having a housekeeper but I guess I don't really get having a full time nanny if you don't work full time yourself. There are lots of people who do it though, and I'm not trying to downplay the mother's sympathy or say anything bad about her. Maybe it's just a money thing, if you have the money for help you get help, even if you could do it your own and maybe just have your style cramped a bit.

philbert_wormly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MirrorDimly View Post
    Sounds like background information gleaned from others, not the nanny's direct quote or reason for doing what she did. Didn't the family offer her more hours to help her cover her debts? And didn't they travel to the DR together to stay with the nanny's folks? Something smells weird...

I don't remember if it was the NYT or Post as to where I read it. But, this family hooked the nanny up with more hours by giving her certain extra chores to do and such. And, they also highly recommended her to another family for a babysitting gig but that family didn't like her at the interview.

These folks lived where there is massive money and it was actually nice of them to try and work with the nanny when she confided in them that she was having financial issues. A lessor family would have maybe let her go at some point or just not have given a darn.

I hate to think like this just like with all my heart, but...

Maybe the children were attached to the nanny lovingly and that clouded the parents judgment about her a bit?

Mammy Guest
    I can see her being pissed about not wanting to do housework and killing the children in retaliation. I'm not saying I agree with what she did because I certainly don't, but in her own mind I can buy the explanation. Here's what I see, the nanny is having financial problems and loses her apartment and is forced to move in with her sister. The Krims notice that she isn't doing such a great job as a nanny and tell her what they expect of her and tell her they will be forced to find another nanny if she doesn't improve. She apologizes and tells them she is having financial problems and has been preoccupied, but promises to do a better job. She is then told that if she would like to earn some extra money to help her situation, they will pay her to do five hours of housework per week. So, she lets that idea sink in and becomes enraged. She thinks "Here are these rich people who are paying me to watch their children in their luxury apartment. They have plenty of money for trips, dance lessons, and anything else they want. They come and go as they please, spend money like crazy, while I'm here with their children. They know I am having financial difficulties and should just give me a raise since they certainly can afford it, yet they expect me to mop their floors and clean their toilets like a common servant. I'm a nanny not a maid!" She decides to kill the children and knows the Mom is the one who will find them. What better way to retaliate against someone who has pissed her off and disrespected (in the nanny's mind) her? Obviously, this is all just speculation, but I can see it being the truth. Being a nanny is kind of a status symbol, there's no way to sugar coat cleaning toilets and she probably thought that was beneath her.

Wow Mammy!! That makes perfect sense, I couldn't get a grip why she would do that when asked to clean and keep house. She probably thought because they had a good close relationship that the family would either give her a raise or maybe just pay her debts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When life hands you tequila, make a margarita.

Mammy Guest
    That's just the way I took it, of course I could be totally wrong. I can imagine her thinking that they are rich and have plenty of money and could afford to just give it to her and was insulted that she was expected to do housework to earn extra money.

Wendy A. Guest
    Mammy I agree with you're theory on the nanny. Sounds like she was put upon, and jealous, and ended up flippin' shit and took it out on the kids. I hope they find her mentally competent to stand trial.

A nanny is just a stranger you hire to watch your children.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

pwem Guest
    That it is, Miho.

Mammy Guest
    Yeah, like Louise Woodward and she got away with it. It's hard to believe little Matthew would be sixteen years old now if Louise hadn't killed him.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...e=gr&GRid=2150

Dang!! I hope Woodward never had kids of her own...sure doesn't seem right that she got to walk!!

I honestly believe Louise Woodward was innocent. Classic case of high class breeders who wanted the social status of having a kid, but didn't give a crap about it. I still think his mother did it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pwem Guest
    I think the Louise Woodward thing was a terrible accident.

she pleaded not guilty and wants her rights.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...6n3C91emm4pQbL
    Last edited by cash; 11-28-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    the pleaded not guilty and wants her rights.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...6n3C91emm4pQbL
    I know I'm wrong here... but seeing what she did and knowing she did it... she shouldn't have any rights.. not even rights to oxygen to breathe.

This is VERY interesting.....

Nanny Reportedly Had 'Vicious' Fight With Marina Krim Before Killings & The Truth Is Coming Out....

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne..._vicious_fight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Starstruck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    This is VERY interesting.....

Nanny Reportedly Had 'Vicious' Fight With Marina Krim Before Killings & The Truth Is Coming Out....

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne..._vicious_fight
    Don't care if she had a fight with the mother she was the her boss after all, killing those children was just
    a nasty immature way in her sad twisted little mind to pay tit for tat I have zero sympathy for her.
    I feel enormous sympathy for the parents, they will suffer for the rest of their lives with a decision they
    made for the care of their children a decision a lot of us have had to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Starstruck View Post
    Don't care if she had a fight with the mother she was the her boss after all, killing those children was just
    a nasty immature way in her sad twisted little mind to pay tit for tat I have zero sympathy for her.
    I feel enormous sympathy for the parents, they will suffer for the rest of their lives with a decision they
    made for the care of their children a decision a lot of us have had to make.
    ITA with you 100% Starstruck....I just thought the background was interesting, especially since all we seem to have heard is "she snapped". Bullshit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

stay_zee Guest
    If I was having that type of difficulty with my nanny, I would fire them immediately. I would never risk the safety of my children with someone I am fighting/arguing with. I could never afford a nanny, but if my nanny questioned the way I want to raise my kid its see you later alligator to the nanny.

The mother, Marina Krim, used to keep an on line journal with wonderful pictures of her children http://littlemisslucia.livejournal.com/
    it's really so sad.. i can't imagine her pain

Mammy Guest
    Why in the world would she continue leaving her children with a woman she couldn't get along with and was clearly not happy with the job she was doing? That is insane! She hated this woman, but felt secure enough to leave two of her children with her while taking one child out? This wasn't a poor family that needed two incomes and the woman was forced to work and leave her children with someone else, she worked very little and basically left the children with the nanny rather than being bothered with taking all three children with her. The nanny is an evil beast to kill two innocent children to spite the mother, but the mother showed incredibly poor judgement by continuing to leave her children with a woman that she couldn't get along with.