Thread: Mary Gladys Miller

Mary Gladys Miller

Mary Gladys Miller was the wife of the popular KHJ Los Angeles disc jockey Harvey "Humble Harve" Miller. On the morning of May 7, 1971, her husband shot and killed her in their Hollywood home with a .38 revolver, and fled the scene. Some days later, he surrendered to authorities and was tried for the crime. He would plead guilty to second degree murder, but in the end served very little time, and was able to resume his broadcasting career.

Mary Miller was returned to her native Georgia, and buried in Brannon Perryman Cemetery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mary Gladys Miller.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	50691

"Humble Harve" deprived his 2 children of their mother... I wonder what happened to them. If he (and his family) raised them, they probably think he could do no wrong.
    Apparently his motive was allegations of Mary Gladys's adultery. He actually pleaded to 2nd degree manslaughter and 14 months was the sentence at the time. He's still alive, apparently-- pushing 80. As would Mary Gladys, if they had settled their differences in a less-violent (and final) manner.

Humble Harve was still working in some aspect of oldies radio as of several years ago.
    http://vannuysboomers.blogspot.com/2...oss-radio.html

Mary Gladys's parents, the Brannons, lived into their 80s, but none of their daughters are still alive (2 predeceased them.) The last one died at age 65, 3 years ago.
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=89651211

AFAIK it was second degree murder, and he was sentenced to five years to life. However, in those more-liberal days, eligibility for parole could come quickly, followed by a discharge. In contrast, in Canada, second degree murder carries a life sentence with ten years eligibility for parole and no discharge; even if the offender is granted parole, he will be on parole for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by The Los Angeles Times, Aug 20, 1971
    "Disc Jockey Miller Sentenced to 5 Years to Life for Murder"

"Disc jockey Harvey (Humble Harve) Miller--after an unusual appearance on the witness stand during which he affirmed his guilt--was sentenced Thursday to prison for a term of five years to life for killing his wife, Mary, 35."
    Last edited by Maxster; 05-19-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Not surprised at all that Harv was able to resume his career in broadcasting. Even though I had never as far as I know anyway, worked beside anyone who killed another person during my years on the air I did worked beside many others who had their share of problems with the law such as selling drugs, drunk driving, assault and battery even registered child sex offenders. One station I had worked for in Virginia I remember when they hired this older guy who was in his 40's for our midday slot. Very nice guy as I can remember but one day I noticed that whenever he was on the air the request line would be re-routed to our sales office and once he would leave the air the request line would be open again in the studio. Oh the same guy never did any remote broadcasts. At the time I had thought this guy simply didn't want any face to face contact with listeners ( met a few others who were like that ). Anyway one day he was fired and shortly afterward I heard why the no calls and stuff...ten years prior he was arrested for having sex with a 9 year old girl and wasn't allowed any contact with kids including phone calls. I asked my boss at the time why would they hire such a person only to get "...we knew and we don't care..he has a great set of pipes !!" Oh brother !! Last I heard this sicko is still on the radio.

I think old Humble Harv should give a call and advice to that Michael Jace who just plugged HIS wife, as they now have something in common.

Looks like he even remarried. Who marries someone who murdered their spouse?

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    Looks like he even remarried. Who marries someone who murdered their spouse?
    The next Mrs. O.J Simpson ?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.