Page 1 of 11 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned Buildings-and Other Places Where Time Stopped

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.

Abandoned Buildings-and Other Places Where Time Stopped

I have this thing about abandoned businesses, such as restaurants, hotels or stores. Something about seeing places like these, all still set up, but closed down for good, gives me the willies. To know that a place was once filled with people and activity, but is now probably going to be torn down, haunts me.
    I remember when I lived in Connecticut and worked at an amusement park, that was close to my home, one summer. It shut down the next year. Driving by it, and seeing everything still set up, but empty of any people, made me feel like "the last person on Earth", like someone out of an episode of "Twilight Zone". Does anybody else get this eerie kind of feeling about vacant businesses?
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Somewhere where I don't know where I am...
    Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    I have this thing about abandoned businesses, such as restaurants, hotels or stores. Something about seeing places like these, all still set up, but closed down for good, gives me the willies. To know that a place was once filled with people and activity, but is now probably going to be torn down, haunts me.
    I remember when I lived in Connecticut and worked at an amusement park, that was close to my home, one summer. It shut down the next year. Driving by it, and seeing everything still set up, but empty of any people, made me feel like "the last person on Earth", like someone out of an episode of "Twilight Zone". Does anybody else get this eerie kind of feeling about vacant businesses?
    Yes. I get creeped out too. My hubby, brother and I all worked at a once-popular steakhouse that just closed this past February. We drive by the building frequently, while running errands and such. It's weird how lonely abandoned buildings can look despite being surrounded by thriving businesses.

I've been to some of the abandoned-amusement park websites in the past. The pictures are sad and creepy. Which one did you work at?

Waltham Abbey in Essex & Filey In Yorkshire UK
    there was a Holiday park that had been shut down for a couple of years but the Fountain & swimming pools and Chalets were all still in place but there were weeds growing tall and the whole place was deserted
    if you concentrated really hard you could still hear the funfair in the distance and the sound of people enjoying themselves
    spooky and sad

Seagorath Guest
    I understand exactly how you feel. There was an old K-Mart in my hometown that I visited often as a child, and they shut it down. The vacant building sat there for like 10 years or so. When I got older (early 20's) I used to park in the parking lot (of the old K-Mart) and reminisce about all the "activity" that once was there. The old building saddened me, and I found that peering inside the windows was such a spooky experience...seeing all that quiet, empty space. I even had thoughts of throwing a "private party" in there...but never got around to it.

I know exactly what you mean. My Dad used to work for Springs park in Lancaster, SC and they had this old train that would go through the park. He took be back there after it had been closed down for about 20 years. The old train was still there as well as many of the old buildings. IT WAS SUPER CREEPY!!!

darlingdawn Guest
    Another thing that is sad and is along this same line is seeing old abandoned schools. Knowing that these buildings once had a great history and that they were full of kids makes it creepy and interesting at the same time. We have one here in Jacksonville that is super creepy. If I find a picture I will post it.

Here is a really cool link. The original pictures are in black and white and show what the place looked like a long time ago. If you scroll over the pic, you can see what they look like now. Very sad but interesting. These are all here in Jacksonville, FL

http://jaxhistory.com/Endangered-Buildings.html
    Last edited by darlingdawn; 07-31-2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added picture

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by darlingdawn View Post
    Another thing that is sad and is along this same line is seeing old abandoned schools. Knowing that these buildings once had a great history and that they were full of kids makes it creepy and interesting at the same time. We have one here in Jacksonville that is super creepy. If I find a picture I will post it.
    I get so sad when I drive by my old Middle School Now its used for a senior center but still its just not the same.

I have friends in Memphis, Tenn. and when I visit them, we will sometimes drive by this old abandoned nursing home. You can see into the old rooms as it is close to the road, and the windows are large and long. You can see all the equipment that was left behind. It's eerie, because you wonder why did they abandon this place and leave everything behind? The building doesn't look that old or out of date for a care facility.

Quote Originally Posted by shirazash View Post
    I've been to some of the abandoned-amusement park websites in the past. The pictures are sad and creepy. Which one did you work at?
    Lake Compounce, in Bristol, Connecticut. It was only owned by Hershey's the one year I worked there. Then Hershey's ditched it, and it's been opened and closed so many times, with many different owners, since then.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Snudgie Guest
    Ooooh I love old abandoned buildings..so spooky!

There was an old TB hospital a few miles from where I live....it lay empty for months so we used to get a train and go and sneak round it scaring ourselves silly haha...then it was demolished and it's now some very nice houses.

There's a few others I'd love to visit...especially Waverly Hills in KY.....and the Eastern State Pen....awesome...huge...and very scary

Here's a website that you guy's would probably like. It's pretty much dedicated to urban decay, abandoned buildings, and creepy housing projects. Have fun.

http://www.urbandecay.ca/

SEL2323 Guest
    Check out these abandoned Ghost Towns....It really makes me sad. I hate change. can we go back in time please???
    http://ghosttowngallery.com/

don't_axe_me Guest
    Since Katrina, there are a lot of things like that down here. Six Flags was having major financial problems before, and just never reopened. You can still see all the big roller coasters, etc., from the highway.

On a more recent note, there was a Super Popeyes that closed a few years ago. It looked at one time like there was work being done and maybe something else was going open up there, but never did. It has that old ghosty look. And now, right next door, Steak & Ale has closed. It will be interesting to see if anything goes in there. I'm glad we're not planning on staying too much longer, I'm afraid this neighborhood is going to be among the blighted before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by SEL2323 View Post
    Check out these abandoned Ghost Towns....It really makes me sad. I hate change. can we go back in time please???
    http://ghosttowngallery.com/
    Wow, cool website. Thanks.

itsintheeyes Guest
    I LOVE abandoned places. They make for good photography. They don't freak me out so much as they intrigue me. If I was walking through the site of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster as it stands today? Yeeahhh...that would be eerie!

Wednesday Guest
    I don't know about the stores or restaurants, but old or abandoned speakeasies always creep me out!

Seagorath Guest
    Check out this old "insane asylum" building from my birth town. I visited this building MANY, MANY times with friends when I was a teenager...VERY creepy. It's called the Jones Building...and it's STILL THERE!...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7338207...7600173320269/

Old prisons and jail are pretty creepy too. What a great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Snudgie View Post
    Ooooh I love old abandoned buildings..so spooky!

There was an old TB hospital a few miles from where I live....it lay empty for months so we used to get a train and go and sneak round it scaring ourselves silly haha...then it was demolished and it's now some very nice houses.

There's a few others I'd love to visit...especially Waverly Hills in KY.....and the Eastern State Pen....awesome...huge...and very scary
    My friends at work have toured the Waverly Sanatorium and say it is a must. You should look at going to the Mansfield Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio. It is right next to the new prison. It is called the castle, and has been used in many movies. The Shawshank Redemption was filmed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Colicky View Post
    My friends at work have toured the Waverly Sanatorium and say it is a must. You should look at going to the Mansfield Reformatory in Mansfield, Ohio. It is right next to the new prison. It is called the castle, and has been used in many movies. The Shawshank Redemption was filmed there.
    I know Ghost-Hunters filmed at both places and caught some stuff.

I just watched Shawshank a couple of weeks ago - back to back with The Green Mile (yeah, it was a nice, quiet Sunday afternoon!).

sunshine74137 Guest
    I love that feeling I get when I'm in abandoned, buildings, Whenever hubs is shopping for a new site for a bar I try to go along so I can see the empty bulding. Some of them have been really strange and creepy.

The Mansfield Reformatory is scary enough on its own, and they do have night tours where you can do a ghost hunt. It is really scary at Halloween when they turn it into the Haunted Prison, they really don't have to work too hard to frighten the crap out of you.

viridescence Guest
    I am simultaneously fascinated and creeped out by abandoned structures. I recall the first time I was messing around online and found the concept of "urban exploration." It became a big interest of mine. Beautiful, strange pictures of abandoned hospitals, asylums, houses, mills, jails...I think one of the first sites I found was http://www.infiltration.org

Ghost towns are even more interesting. Of course I don't think I would ever have the guts to explore myself -- often the buildings are rickety and scary looking, nevermind the whole trespassing deal -- but I'm glad there are others who do it!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Check out this old "insane asylum" building from my birth town. I visited this building MANY, MANY times with friends when I was a teenager...VERY creepy. It's called the Jones Building...and it's STILL THERE!...

Awsome! My great grandfather was in that place. He was a big boozer and they sent him there to dry out. He would fight with his own shadow. Mean as a junk yard dog. Thanks for the pics. I would love to wander through there!

hoxharding Guest
    I don't recall all the details,but there is a fake ghost town that was built years ago. I think even the buildings and everything was dragged from another town. There are even dummies there.
    Found a link to it-Findlay,Ohio
    http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/oh/ohttd.html
    Last edited by hoxharding; 07-31-2008 at 08:36 AM.

darlingdawn Guest
    Here is another great abandoned school. It is in the same town my mother grew up in. She didn't go to this school, it was closed down the year she started high school, but a couple of her older sisters went there.

http://www.surrealnewjersey.com/lambertville.htm

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    When I was growing up, there was a small, old hospital where I was a candy striper, it was old and somewhat creepy when it was open, lol. I spent ALOT of time in that hospital, lol (accident prone child). Then it closed and was redone to be a nursing home, and my Grandma was actually there. Now its closed and abandoned...I would LOVE to go in there...but definately not alone...I still remember where the morgue was in the basement as well...
    When I was in my early 20's and hanging out at App State, we used to go and sneak into the old Land of Oz park in the middle of the night after it had been closed. Want to talk about CREEPY...all those buildings and props in nothing but moonlight...and knowing you were on a mountain with nothing else on it...nobody can hear you scream....

panda Guest
    They do creep me out, but I love to explore them if I can....with a group of course! There's an abandonded train station here in Detroit, in its day it was absolutely beautiful. Its been abandoned for years now, all the windows are broken & no doubt all the wiring & marble & anything at all worth anything...or not...has been stripped from it. I was once told that they have gang initiations in there now.....how nice. They talked about the police moving in it but I don't think that will happen so they'll probably just tear it down. Another landmark of beautiful architecture lost forever. Posted pic of it below...........great thread!

Attachment 6942
    Last edited by panda; 07-31-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Vamp Guest
    We have so many abandoned buildings in Detroit, it seems normal. There is a part of the Eastside of Detroit near where my grandparents are buried that looks like a bombed out city.
    Last edited by Vamp; 07-31-2008 at 08:59 AM.

marimbagirl Guest
    I like to go exploring in places that have been abandoned. They don't creep me out at all.

itsintheeyes Guest
    I'm creating an album of pictures I've taken of abandoned buildings, etc. It will be on my profile if interested.

Lake Compounce, in Bristol, Connecticut. It was only owned by Hershey's the one year I worked there. Then Hershey's ditched it, and it's been opened and closed so many times, with many different owners, since then.

It's actually fully open now and thriving. It's neat to see how far it has come since the old Hershey days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

No kidding? With the same owner, for more than just a year, or two? That's great to hear! My very first job was working there and it was the best summer of my life.

No kidding? With the same owner, for more than just a year, or two? That's great to hear! My very first job was working there and it was the best summer of my life.

Different owner now, but it has been continously open since maybe.. hmmm 92 or 93. That was my first job too and I loved it!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

sunshine2828 Guest
    My hubby's family has property in a few places in Colorado and 2 of the sites are ghost towns. It's awesome to walk around and think about what it must have been like to live there 50 or so years ago. Both places are pretty remote and the Hubby is always talking about going back there and living in one of the "towns."

STRAIGHT Guest
    I like abandoned buildings...you never know what your going to find in them, plus it's history right before your very eyes. Kind of like a visual book to me.

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but there's even a "findadeath" history at the amusement part I used to work at!

From Wikipedia:
    Between 2001-2004, the park suffered from some bad publicity due to a series of accidents at the park. In 2001, a 5-year-old boy drowned after going down the "Lake Plunge Slide" [1]. In 2004, a 5-year-old boy was killed after a limb from a dead tree fell on his head near the former mini-golf area. Two park employees have also died in accidents since 2001. A groundskeeper was trimming weeds under the Boulder Dash track during the park's regular morning ride testing. The coaster was on a test run, and due to the loudness of the weed trimmer, the man never heard the train coming, was partially decapitated, and died [2]. In another incident, an employee jumped onto the Tornado ride as it was still moving after the ride cycle, and was dragged under the ride when his clothing got stuck [3]. The ride was closed indefinitely at the request of the victim's family and was later replaced by Twister in 2000.

YIKES!!! Glad I didn't work there, during those years!

djdeath-hag Guest
    The funeral home that I once worked in, sits abandoned (as far as I know)....and has been vacant for at least 10 years. If I could, I'd love to visit it again....in daylight & not alone.

Even the places that say "For Lease" in the front scares me, but I've always wondered what it is like inside.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Bee1001 Guest
    I love looking at photos of abandoned places. There are quite a few in Ohio. I mostly like the abandoned Drive-Ins and Motels, myself. Here's a cool website I found a while back:

http://forgottenoh.com/abandoned.html

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    The funeral home that I once worked in, sits abandoned (as far as I know)....and has been vacant for at least 10 years. If I could, I'd love to visit it again....in daylight & not alone.
    My crazy cousin bought an old funeral home in Detroit & he's living in it

miz rosebud Guest
    I actually enjoy going in abandoned places.I like getting freaked out!!! now im just more careful about getting caught.no trespassing means come in and see.lol

lil_zino Guest
    I love all that stuff. I don't drive, so a lot of my walks bring me to abandoned places. Some old, others very recent. If I can get inside of them to look around without worrying too much about the building caving in on me, I will.

I'll close my eyes and imagine what the place was like when it was bustling. I think my biggest dream is to own a time machine and look at the past. Well, I know I can't. But, going into an abandoned building or just looking at pics online comes darn close.

Lisamarie Guest
    well there are tons here!! after Ktrina we have entire hirise building that are vacant and creepy..Its worst In Miss because there are tons of these very old building that have been shut up for yeras...there is one an ols building called the markham hotel I wanna get in so bad!!!! I juts want to get in a check them out!!!! Also we have the Dixie beer company thats a weird building creepy as hell at night!Also the old flagstaf building that was closed for a while and they just made those into apartments....for a while the lights would come on the tower and no one understood why because there was no electricity also there is a giant statue of king rex toasting the city and he looks really creepy at night.....

erin Guest
    abandoned buildings piss me off more than they creep me out. well, the more modern, newer buildings. i absolutely hate that they keep building new buildings and strip malls and such, when there are perfectly decent buildings already there. it seems such a waste to me. now the old ghost towns and things like that i find really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by darlingdawn View Post

Here is a really cool link. The original pictures are in black and white and show what the place looked like a long time ago. If you scroll over the pic, you can see what they look like now. Very sad but interesting. These are all here in Jacksonville, FL

http://jaxhistory.com/Endangered-Buildings.html

Nice link. That's worth some more perusal later. Cheers.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by itsintheeyes View Post
    I LOVE abandoned places. They make for good photography. They don't freak me out so much as they intrigue me. If I was walking through the site of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster as it stands today? Yeeahhh...that would be eerie!
    Wow, are those your pics? They're outstanding!

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post

All of those pics are great! That place is super spooky, it's bad enough there was a morgue...I don't know what's worse..and empty one with no one..or one full. I mean, for the creep factor. Of course an empty morgue is better. Unless you work in a morgue, then you'd want it to be full...ok, I'm gonna hush now.

Morbid1 Guest
    This place really makes me uncomfortable..and there is a website
    thats got allot of great pictures and history of this..woow!

The Mudhouse Mansion...

Another picture..better in the sun! Think its haunted? Look at the middle
    picture in the center window!

Links..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudhouse_Mansion

The website..http://www.forgottenoh.com/mudhouse.html has some
    great history on the house..and why its been a local problem.Maybe
    one of our hags has seen or known of this legend.

-Morbid1
    Last edited by Morbid1; 07-31-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added Wiki Link

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Holy Smokes!!!