Thread: Elizabeth Smart

Town Without Pity Guest

Elizabeth Smart

I searched and I searched, couldnt find a thread on her, thought about posting some good news.

Elizabeth Smart, Former Kidnapping Victim, Marries Matthew Gilmour In Hawaii

By James Nelson

SALT LAKE CITY, Feb 18 (Reuters) - Elizabeth Smart, who was kidnapped at age 14 from her Utah home and held for what she described as "nine months of hell," exchanged vows on Saturday with her boyfriend of the past year at a private wedding in Hawaii, her uncle told Reuters.

Smart, 24, and Matthew Gilmour, whom she met while she was serving on a religious mission in Europe for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, tied the knot at a Mormon temple overlooking the Pacific on the island of Oahu, her uncle, Tom Smart, said.

Smart decided about a week ago that "the best way to avoid significant distraction was to change her weeding plans and to get married in an unscheduled ceremony outside of Utah,"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D136866

missygir810 Guest
    That is soooooo awesome!!!!!!!

Awww, good for her. It's so nice to see a happy ending once in a while.

Lol, "weeding plans" =). Congrats to her. Hopefully she continues to lead a happy life.

That is wonderful. She really came through that horror with such grace and dignity. I'm glad she hasn't allowed that horrible experience to ruin her life. She triumphed over it.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

PurrPurr Guest
    AWWW!!!! I am so happy for her! Congrats to the new couple!

Red Leary Guest
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....she married a mormon called Gilmour/Gilmore.....i wonder....?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gilmore

wolfpackfanforlife23 Guest
    Congratulations! I remember her story so well - she's only 3 months older than me, and I prayed for her every single night until they found her. Glad to hear about this.

I hope she is able to find peace and happiness in her life.

Mammy Guest
    She seems to be such a kind person and she is so pretty. I hope her marriage is a happy one. She sure deserves happiness!

aLiLdirt Guest
    So happy for this courageous young lady. Although the memories of her dreadful ordeal will be present forever, perhaps this new life chapter will assist in somewhat blurring her past.

My mom went to a rape crisis fundraiser here and Elizabeth was the keynote speaker. She said it was very interesting and she told me some interesting things about her speech. Elizabeth is even more beautiful in person. (inside & out!) Some things came out that I hadn't read in the books about her.
    She said that the first night after she was taken, she wasn't given any food for 3 days. Her kidnapper wouldn't give her any food until she drank wine he had. He told her "First you drink, then you'll eat." So this 14 year old, who had never drank in her life, and who considered it a sin, drank the wine. She immediately threw up and passed out in her own vomit. When she awoke, the vomit had dried on her face. He told her that she was spoiled. Another time he left her for 5 days chained to a tree. He left her with no food or water. It rained, and she collected rain water to drink. After the 5th day, she decided she would probably die. She laid down to die. She said "When I awoke, it wasn't the heavenly singing I was expecting. It was the singing of a drunk." Her captor returned and brought her some KFC that he found in the garbage. She said she had never really liked KFC before, but when he brought her the garbage, it was the most delicious food she had ever eaten. She also said that they had traveled to California and he had talked about taking her to a different state. She told him that she thought God wanted him to take her to Utah once more, and that he should pray about it, that he was such a good preacher (She stroked his ego), etc. The next day he said that God had given him a revelation and that he would indeed take them back to Utah. On their first day upon returning to Utah is when she was found!!! Thank God!!!
    She also said (and I find this comforting...especially to victims of crime...) "I think of my life, and I picture it as a white string. I have a white string with a little area on it that is black. I can let that little black area take away my happiness - or I can live my life and become the woman I'm supposed to be." I believe she chose the latter.

She also said it took a week of bathing in her mom's jacuzzi tub to get the 'homeless' smell to go away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for posting that michihunt....absolutely incredible. I really like and admire Elizabeth Smart (and Jaycee Dugard too).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

harlequin_clown Guest
    She'll always be my hero for telling Nancy Grace where to stick it

I LOVED her for doing that too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

LOL Please tell me it's on youtube or something.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    LOL Please tell me it's on youtube or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am0uJkRSMNw

radiojane Guest
    She was actually just in Regina, or is coming soon, I can't remember which. I really toyed with the idea of getting tickets, but once you factor in four hours of driving and a meal, she wasn't a big enough draw for me

I'm glad that she's happy, good for her I saw some of the wedding pictures, and she looked beautiful!

And she is even more awesome in my book for telling off that harpy Nancy Grace. That bitch would just NOT stop with those questions about the kidnapping, which Elizabeth obviously did not want to talk about. I loved it when Elizabeth sorta looks to the left at one point, she has this look on her face like 'This woman is insane'

Djen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    My mom went to a rape crisis fundraiser here and Elizabeth was the keynote speaker. She said it was very interesting and she told me some interesting things about her speech. Elizabeth is even more beautiful in person. (inside & out!) Some things came out that I hadn't read in the books about her.
    She said that the first night after she was taken, she wasn't given any food for 3 days. Her kidnapper wouldn't give her any food until she drank wine he had. He told her "First you drink, then you'll eat." So this 14 year old, who had never drank in her life, and who considered it a sin, drank the wine. She immediately threw up and passed out in her own vomit. When she awoke, the vomit had dried on her face. He told her that she was spoiled. Another time he left her for 5 days chained to a tree. He left her with no food or water. It rained, and she collected rain water to drink. After the 5th day, she decided she would probably die. She laid down to die. She said "When I awoke, it wasn't the heavenly singing I was expecting. It was the singing of a drunk." Her captor returned and brought her some KFC that he found in the garbage. She said she had never really liked KFC before, but when he brought her the garbage, it was the most delicious food she had ever eaten. She also said that they had traveled to California and he had talked about taking her to a different state. She told him that she thought God wanted him to take her to Utah once more, and that he should pray about it, that he was such a good preacher (She stroked his ego), etc. The next day he said that God had given him a revelation and that he would indeed take them back to Utah. On their first day upon returning to Utah is when she was found!!! Thank God!!!
    She also said (and I find this comforting...especially to victims of crime...) "I think of my life, and I picture it as a white string. I have a white string with a little area on it that is black. I can let that little black area take away my happiness - or I can live my life and become the woman I'm supposed to be." I believe she chose the latter.

She also said it took a week of bathing in her mom's jacuzzi tub to get the 'homeless' smell to go away.
    Wow, I'm even more impressed with her than I was before!

pwem Guest
    Hope she will be happy in her new life.

Elizabeth is a SURVIVOR not a victim.....NG is such a bitch- I intensely dislike that woman.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I actually came across one of the strangest YouTube videos I have ever seen yesterday. Basically, it's about how Elizabeth Smart, Casey Anthony, Susan Powell, Natalee Holloway and a few others were all in cahoots together as part of a ploy to scare Americans. I love a good conspiracy theory, but this one takes the cake!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EosmVRhIz5k **Warning, the video is complete and utter nonsense and will probably hurt your brain**

Djen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    I actually came across one of the strangest YouTube videos I have ever seen yesterday. Basically, it's about how Elizabeth Smart, Casey Anthony, Susan Powell, Natalee Holloway and a few others were all in cahoots together as part of a ploy to scare Americans. I love a good conspiracy theory, but this one takes the cake!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EosmVRhIz5k **Warning, the video is complete and utter nonsense and will probably hurt your brain**
    Wow, what a load of crap! I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next gal, but they at least have to TRY! This is ridiculous! I worry about the person who put this together, he seems to have no ability to recognize faces. If you have 2 eyes, a nose and some teeth, you look the same as everyone else who also has 2 eyes, a nose and some teeth.

When I see things like this, I always have to wonder... Do they really BELIEVE this, or are they just yanking our chains? I hope this person doesn't really believe all this, because that kind of delusional thinking must make his life hard.

Bidmor Guest
    Wild! The pic of Natalee and a whole bunch of her buds from 2005 with Casey Anthony supposedly next to Natalee...Casey's face looks photoshopped to me. But then again, truth is stranger than fiction. Problem is, which is which?

Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    Wow, what a load of crap! I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next gal, but they at least have to TRY! This is ridiculous! I worry about the person who put this together, he seems to have no ability to recognize faces. If you have 2 eyes, a nose and some teeth, you look the same as everyone else who also has 2 eyes, a nose and some teeth.

When I see things like this, I always have to wonder... Do they really BELIEVE this, or are they just yanking our chains? I hope this person doesn't really believe all this, because that kind of delusional thinking must make his life hard.
    Even if the person who put this stuff up doesn't believe it, there are plenty of folks out there who will. There was also a blogger who wrote a long piece claiming girls like Elizabeth are publicity hounds, trying to profit from their stories, perpetually playing the victim role, etc. It was discussed on a thread on here somewhere. Whatev. I see her as an inspiration, for what she survived.

Mammy Guest
    Wow, that was really out there! You're right, there are some people who will believe anything, no matter how far fetched and crazy it is. I posted the thread about the woman who was bashing Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard and claiming they loved the attention and tried to profit from what happened to them. I ran across the site totally by accident when I googled something else and it really made my blood boil. Some people are so bitter and hateful that they can find fault with anything and anyone. I think Elizabeth and Jaycee are both amazing women and I admire their strength and courage.

The same guy also has a few other videos, one is about how the Tucson shooting was a hoax and the helicopters we saw were flown in on string! The things those girls had to endure is too much to imagine. The fact that they both came out of it as normal as they are is amazing. It's kind of a twisted blessing Jaycee had those kids because it gave her something to live for. Elizabeth seems like pure class, bless them both.

Mammy Guest
    Yes, and Jaycee seems like such an amazing and caring mother to her daughters even when it was under some of the worst living conditions imaginable. They were captives in backyards tents and she still taught her daughters how to read, write, and spell and read to them. I have read articles that said they are both intelligent, caring, and well adjusted girls who adore their mom. There are horrible women twice Jaycee's age who abuse, neglect, and murder their children and live in luxury compared to what Jaycee lived in. I bawled like a baby when I found out Jaycee was alive after so many years and I am thrilled she is finally back with her mom and sister. I agree that Elizabeth is also an amazing woman and seems very kind.

omg such a thing would never occur to me!

So glad to see this person can now try
    and take her life back.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stori...a4bcf887a.html

Here is the local story about her visit. Look at the picture and see how beautiful she is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Djen Guest
    Her story just makes me so hopeful. If she can rise above the horrible situation she was in, then any of us who survived our crappy childhoods can be happy and helpful, too.

I just love her.

I Hope she has a wonderful life. That's one incredible young lady. The best of wishes to them both

Did anyone catch her speech yesterday? OMG I almost cried, when she talked about the teacher who said that the children should imagine themselves as a stick of gum. And if they had sex before marriage, it was like chewing that gum. And nobody wants an old, chewed up piece of gum. I completely "get" what she's saying because I feel the same way.

There is no code to embed the video on the website (not our site, the site I got the video from) so here's a link to it:

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/feature...l#.UYrRXLUtoRD
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by Djen View Post
    Her story just makes me so hopeful. If she can rise above the horrible situation she was in, then any of us who survived our crappy childhoods can be happy and helpful, too.

I just love her.
    Either she was just a seriously well adjusted and mature child or she had a wonderful therapist because she seems to have been able to handle such trauma in such a way that it's made her stronger and with such grace. Alot of times you just dont see that happen. I've always had a feeling her parents were just not very smart letting that guy around the kids and I stand by that however they raised a very strong child and I gotta give them kuddos for that because I think that background helped her overcome such a terrible thing.

Seagorath Guest
    Great story. Elizabeth's father was an idiot. No security on that night...a stinky robed man just walks into the house with a knife to steal a teenager daughter. He didn't get away with it? Well, he did. He raped the shit out of young Elizabeth daily. http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/07/us/eli...html?hpt=hp_c2

Wendy A. Guest
    She's the ultimate survivor. Bless her heart.

She's giving an interview right now on a program called Fresh Air on NPR. If you go to their website and search her name the full podcast will come up. An online transcript is also available there. And she's writing a book about her ordeal, which she says is cathartic. I'm listening to the show live right now.

the female captor has been released

https://nypost.com/2018/09/19/one-of...d-from-prison/

I also read that female captor's family does not want to take her in or have anything to do with her. She looks like she can barely walk in that second photo.

She should have gotten life right alongside Mitchell's sick ass. She helped him rape Elizabeth.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I agree Ria.