Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Co-stars who didn't get along

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Elizabeth, thanks for that little tidbit! That's interesting.
    You're welcome.....my version is more gossipy than Hoagie78's......

Lily, "Terms of Endearment" was an awesome movie and one of my all time favorites, but I always assumed that Shirley and Debra probably didn't get along. I've read that Debra was snobby and a diva toward people in movies she is in and also read that Shirley has an enormous ego and was very arrogant and holier than thou toward people she worked with. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Nicholson didn't get along with either of them since he seems rather struck on himself as well. The whole bunch of them were probably a nightmare when the movie was being made.
    Your description of Debra Winger is spot on. Back when I lived in Houston, a friend got us both hired as extras on Urban Cowboy. Unfortunately, I was in a car wreck and wasn't able to follow through but my friend did and said Travolta was nice but Winger was impossible, a real diva. Actually, I think her words were a f*cking a$$hole b*tch but I think the word diva is implied.

doyleloyal Guest
    on the set of Giant James dean and rock hudson hated each other Liz always had to be the go between but when Dean died Rock was almost drowning in tears.

there I days I wish I was alive when the whole debbie/liz/fisher thing was happening, I would've ate that up! but they became friendly later which is kind of a bummer..I don't think anything is better than joan crawford and bette davis. their comments about each other is just hysterical!

....oh, I couldn't stand her - (Bonnie Franklin) they always made her out to be a real man magnet, ya right, her, yuk!
    How would you like those eggs, over easy? hahaha
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

rucyco2 Guest
    Not exactly "Co-stars" but F1 World Champions Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna despised each other (Prost's contract for 1993-1994 with Williams specifically stated that Ayton was NOT to be his team mate). Sometimes this spilled over to the track (you know who you are)

It seems that they put it behind them, Ayrton even mentioned Alain during a interview stating that he (Senna) missed Prost.

After Senna was killed at Imola, the Senna family asked Prost to sit on the board of directors of the charity that Senna had started. To my knowledge he does to this day.

With all this talk about Bonnie Franklin I had to check and see if any ODAAT was on YT. Sure enough they numerous clips and episodes. And Bonnie's acting was worse than I expected! Actually all three of women were lousy in the beginning. I have to say that Bertinelli and Philips got better in time as they got older. But I seem to recall that at the time I watched, we didn't have the kind of channel line up of today, so I watched back then because simply there wasn't much to choose from. Had I been older when the show was on, I would have turned off the tv and read a good book instead LOL.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Mammy Guest
    Yeah, back in the day we had three channels. Even if the shows on all three stations sucked, we would watch the show that sucked the least. There's no way that anyone would ever watch "The Love Boat" if they had a better selection.

Hoagie78 Guest
    LOL...there were some good shows on TV at the time and some real stinkers. ODAT was just an odd show. In fact, all of Norman Lears shows had a strange vibe and were all about preaching social issues. I remember one episode where Barbara wanted to be cool so she spread the rumor she was on the pill. A jock got word and came over to the apartment expecting to get lucky and when she said no he tried to rape her. Then it became a whole episode about sex, rape,virginity etc.......

A few years ago ther was a short lived show called "The Rerun Show" where they did parodies of old sitcoms. They did one of ODAT and it was hilarious. Bonnie's part was played by a black actress in a red bowl cut wig. She did all the weird acting and monlogues like Bonnie and they had a light come down from heaven and she would get in front of a podium like she was preaching. They had Mackenzie all drugged up and in one scene they woke her up to say her dialogue and she was squinting to read the cue cards. At the end of the episode they had a tabloid about her drug use being shown and a card board cut out of Mackenzie with it's eyes poked out and a stage hand was holding it up and hiding behind it doing her lines......LOL

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Chunk View Post
    ....oh, I couldn't stand her - (Bonnie Franklin) they always made her out to be a real man magnet, ya right, her, yuk!
    How would you like those eggs, over easy? hahaha
    ROTFL!!!.....looked like some stuck a fork in her over easy eggs and let the yolk run out.

LOL, you guys are killing me with Bonnie Franklin! She was awful! I was about the age of Valerie Bertinelli's character and I just had to watch it. But boy, BF was ridiculous. My mom didn't like it because she said it made single parenthood look easy and fun. I loved it and hated it at the same time.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by editrix View Post
    LOL, you guys are killing me with Bonnie Franklin! She was awful! I was about the age of Valerie Bertinelli's character and I just had to watch it. But boy, BF was ridiculous. My mom didn't like it because she said it made single parenthood look easy and fun. I loved it and hated it at the same time.
    LOL.....it was like a train wreck....you couldn't help but watch it.

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie78 View Post
    LOL.....it was like a train wreck....you couldn't help but watch it.
    Hey Hoagie - we should start a Bonnie Franklin thread.

And one more thing - how about that damn feather she had in that Woolworth "Professional Career Lady" hat?

Better yet - her hitting on 16 year old Robbie Benson by dancing the Hustle.....or dating the married man.....or going after Julie's much older boyfriend (Jim Hutton) because she didn't like that a man her age was looking at younger women.

I can never say it too much - I hate that woman.

Yeah, back in the day we had three channels. Even if the shows on all three stations sucked, we would watch the show that sucked the least. There's no way that anyone would ever watch "The Love Boat" if they had a better selection.
    When I lived in Northern Maine we had three channels, one that switched networks every night (one night ABC, one night CBS, another night NBC), we had PBS and a Canadian channel. What I hear, they have cable up there now LOL, so those days are over.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelNutZipper View Post
    Hey Hoagie - we should start a Bonnie Franklin thread.

And one more thing - how about that damn feather she had in that Woolworth "Professional Career Lady" hat?

Better yet - her hitting on 16 year old Robbie Benson by dancing the Hustle.....or dating the married man.....or going after Julie's much older boyfriend (Jim Hutton) because she didn't like that a man her age was looking at younger women.

I can never say it too much - I hate that woman.
    ROTFL!!!! you are a riot. Maybe she should have her own thread. I remember those episodes and the craptastic display of her doing the hustle.

Bonnie appeared on Love Boat as Captain Stubing ex wife. She was a raging B__ and treated him and the crew like crap. She had a hat on like she did on ODAT in white with the feather and matching too tight pant suit. She must of thought that was her style trademark.

Remember the tacky opening credits ? They always had Mackenzie dancing in them. I wonder if she did that little dance for Pops ?

Last edited by Hoagie78; 05-09-2012 at 02:57 PM.

radiojane Guest
    This show stayed on for upwards of a decade? After all your vivid descriptions, I went and found a you tube clip.... and all I can say is WTF???

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    This show stayed on for upwards of a decade? After all your vivid descriptions, I went and found a you tube clip.... and all I can say is WTF???

Her cutlet is trying to escape. They couldn't have put " The Nobel sperm bank" in a worse location!
    Last edited by Nelliebean; 05-09-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Mammy Guest
    She wishes it was a cutlet. That's a McNugget.

Hoagie78 Guest
    LOL.....that magazine cover is too much. Bonnie made sure her fried eggs were on display. Valerie and Mackenzie look like they have been in her stash.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Here is Season 2 opening credits with the actress at the end Bonnie got fired for upstaging her. The uploader said it was their favorite themes from Norman Lears mustard brown and orange 70's sitcoms.....LOL

The word whup on your feet in the song always had me laughing and puzzled at the same time.

From Wikipedia:

"The show was created by Whitney Blake and Alan Manings, a husband-and-wife writing duo who were actors during the 1950s and 1960s. The show was based on Whitney Blake's own life as a single mother, raising her child, future actress Meredith Baxter."

Whitney Blake is probably best known as Dorothy ("Mrs B") Baxter on the sitcom Hazel.

The things you learn on the intarwebs!

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

radiojane Guest
    Aha! It's all Meridith Baxter's fault!

Billy Weathersby Guest
    Bonnie Franklin has always looked like her breath stunk...I can't explain that but that is the impression I have always had.

Nelliebean Guest
    Here is Season 2 opening credits with the actress at the end Bonnie got fired for upstaging her. The uploader said it was their favorite themes from Norman Lears mustard brown and orange 70's sitcoms.....LOL

I don't remember that cast member. I can see just by the short video that she had more presence than Franklin.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I don't remember that cast member. I can see just by the short video that she had more presence than Franklin.
    LOL.....she only lasted a season and disappeared without a trace. From what I remember she was pretty funny.

Hoagie78 Guest
    There are no words that could explain this little horror from the 80's.

Hoagie78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Weathersby View Post
    Bonnie Franklin has always looked like her breath stunk...I can't explain that but that is the impression I have always had.
    I don't doubt that. She looked like she had chronic dry mouth.

Vandalay Guest

I think she was upstaged by the chair..

Let's get back on topic, please.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I read that Ted Knight could be a bit of a jerk on the Mary Tyler Moore show. It was rumored he didn't care much for Georgia Engel who played his wife Georgette. He also didn't like all the clowning around on the set of Caddyshack and didn't want to acknowledge JM. J. Bullock being gay on Too Close For Comfort.

Larry Hagman's backstage drama dates back to his I Dream Of Jeannie days in the 60's. Barbara Eden had to put up with a lot of crap.

Linda Lavin & Polly Holiday of Alice. Linda felt Polly was taking the spotlight from her as the hilarious Flo and the writers came up with that stank short lived spinoff to get rid of her.

Bonnie Franklin & Mary Louise Wilson of one Day At A Time. Mary was brought on as Ginny, a zany neighbor and love interest for Schneider. Bonnie had a shi* fit and hated her from day 1 and claimed she was upstaging her and had her fired after one season.

Charlotte Rae & Geri Jewell of The Facts Of Life. Geri who has cerebral palsy played Blair's cousin. Geri claimed that Charlotte felt uncomfortable around her, which Charlotte denied. Geri was later written out of the series. It was posted on TV boards that Geri supposedly told Charlotte to kiss her crippled @$$.

Bea Arthur & Betty White of The Golden Girls. Bea couldn't stand Betty for uknown reasons.

Supposedly Bewitched star Agnes Moorehead didn't care for Dick Sargent (Darrin #2) and said it to his face on his first day. There are also stories that Elizabeth Montgomery got fed up and came to dislike Dick York (Darrin # 1) for holding up filming due and having to rewrite scripts due to his back problems and addiction to pain meds. She never spoke to him again after he collapsed on the set in 1969 and was taken to the hospital in a ambulance.

I heard stories of Dixie Carter and Delta Burke of Designing Women feuding in later years.

Jack Lord of Hawaii Five-O was said to be difficult on the set when things didn't go exactly the way he wanted.

Robert Reed of The Brady Bunch detested Producer/Creator Sherwood Schwartz and his silly scripts. He threw tantrums and would change lines while they were filming the scenes. He would also storm off the set and lock himself in his trailer till his demands were met.

Melissa Gilbert and Alison Arngrim of Little House didn't get along with Melissa Sue Anderson too well. They though of her as stuck up.

Meredith Baxter claims her mother Whitney Blake who played Mrs. Baxter on Hazel didn't care for Shirley Booth and said Whitney complained that Shirley tried to make her look bad with lighting and making her always a third banana.

Gene Rodney the creator of Father Knows Best disliked Elinor Donahue who played Betty. He thought she wouldn't amount to anything after the show ended and made things difficult doing the show. After the show was over and Elinor went on to do a ton of things, he then started bragging that she was his discovery.

There were stories that Darlene Gillespie of the Mickey Mouse club disliked Annette because Walt started building her up as a big star. She was pulled from projects that the two were to star in. Darlene was supposedly being groomed to be the next big thing before Annette became a fan favorite.

I read some of the Mousketeers didn't care for Bobby Burgess who went on to dance for 22 years on the Lawrence Welk show one mousketeer spit on him during a dance routine while he was holding her up in the air.

A lot of people at Disney came to dislike Tommy Kirk after it was discovered he was gay (this was the early 60's). He later picked up a teenage boy at a local pool and the boys parents informed Uncle Walt. Walt fired him.

I read that Ted Knight could be a bit of a jerk on the Mary Tyler Moore show. It was rumored he didn't care much for Georgia Engel who played his wife Georgette. He also didn't like all the clowning around on the set of Caddyshack and didn't want to acknowledge JM. J. Bullock being gay on Too Close For Comfort.

I remember reading somewhere in an interview with Lydia Cornell (Sarah on Two Close For Comfort) that she and Ted Knight didn't get along too well. She referred to him as being frosty.

Jack Lord of Hawaii Five-O was said to be difficult on the set when things didn't go exactly the way he wanted.

Jack Lord was referred to as Jack The Lord (behind his back, I'm guessing) because of his stubborn ways. Since everyone loved being in Hawaii, they all put up with him.

Bill Murray supposedly didn't get along with Robert DeNiro during the filming of Mad Dog and Glory. Apparently, Robert didn't care for Bill's clowning around during the shoot.

Didn't Bill Cosby and Lisa Bonet have words during The Cosby Show and A Different World? Come to think of it, does anyone here know why Marisa Tomei left World after one season?

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I think someone was talking about the Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin on air reunion after being estranged for a very long time. It was set up by Frank Sinatra. Here is the clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlksTohQJa4

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy's Girl View Post
    I think someone was talking about the Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin on air reunion after being estranged for a very long time. It was set up by Frank Sinatra. Here is the clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlksTohQJa4
    I found that clip a few days ago but thanks for posting it. Dean behaved as if he'd imbibed some before he came on but, still, I miss the days of yore when entertainers possessed multiple talents and could actually entertain spontaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post

Her cutlet is trying to escape. They couldn't have put " The Nobel sperm bank" in a worse location!
    hahahahahahahahaha, cutlet, hahahahahahaha! No wonder Mackenzie is making that face, they probably had to pose like that for awhile before they took the picture - and can you imagine those cutlets in your face, yuk!
    "I guess every form of refuge has its price"...

Elizabeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Bill Murray supposedly didn't get along with Robert DeNiro during the filming of Mad Dog and Glory. Apparently, Robert didn't care for Bill's clowning around during the shoot.
    Does *anybody* get along with Billy Murray??

radiojane Guest
    Lana Turner had very little use for almost any woman on her sets. She went straight for the men, and ignored the women completely. Although she did later reconcile with Judy Garland (Turner eloped with Artie Shaw, who Garland had been seeing), for the most part her female friends were always "below" her on the food chain, and she alienated most every actress she worked with.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Lana Turner had very little use for almost any woman on her sets. She went straight for the men, and ignored the women completely. Although she did later reconcile with Judy Garland (Turner eloped with Artie Shaw, who Garland had been seeing), for the most part her female friends were always "below" her on the food chain, and she alienated most every actress she worked with.
    That's the kind of stuff that'll bite you on the way down.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    Didn't Bill Cosby and Lisa Bonet have words during The Cosby Show and A Different World? Come to think of it, does anyone here know why Marisa Tomei left World after one season?
    The Cos and Lisa Bonet had a falling out about Lisa's decision to star in the movie "Angelheart" (which stunk!) with Mickey Rourke. He didn't feel that the character she played in the movie (voodoo priestess using a chicken in a provacative manner/sex scene) fit the wholesome image she had created as Denise Huxtable on the Cosby Show. Then he spun her off into A Different World on which she only lasted a year because she married Lenny (oh so fine!) Kravitz and got pregnant. I am glad she was let go because the first season of A Different World stunk with her on it and definitely got 100 times better once her character was removed. Not sure why Marisa Tomei left after one season though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Does *anybody* get along with Billy Murray??
    Doesn't seem like it. I've read he also didn't get along with Richard Dreyfuss when they filmed "What About Bob?"

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Poor Terri Hatcher owns this thread. (She's still the prettiest one).

I have to admit though, atleast Terri doesn't try to cover it up and tell the press, "we all get along!".

Vandalay Guest
    We should start a new thread called "Co-stars who didn't get along with anybody".....Bill Murray & Andy Griffith would probably top the list..

radiojane Guest
    It doesn't really count as "not getting along", but Bing Crosby was notoriously reserved. Ingrid Bergman for one was completely baffled at how little he socialized on the set of their movie, and Celeste Holm (who costarred with him in High Society), said "his body was there but his head wasn't". He offended a lot of people by how cold he was.

Norma Shearer resented Rosalind Russell on the set of the women, she was threatened by Ros' talent and comedic timing.

Kate Hepburn pissed off at least one person per movie set. Most notable in my mind is Ruth Hussey (the Philadelphia Story) who said "If I were a lady who cursed, I would have some great descriptors for the great Miss Hepburn".

doyleloyal Guest
    what about shannon doherty and just about everyone that's ever worked with her?

stephenmiller Guest
    It is my understanding that Tina Louise was aloof and kept to herself on the Gilligan's Island set while the other cast members would hang out together and shoot the breeze.

Bbeelzebub Guest

She has the longest pelvis humanly possible. I admit, I'm dying to see what it looks like under the pants.

radiojane Guest
    Edie Adams was snubbed by Rosalind Russell during their run in Wonderful Town. Roz described Edie Adams as "tacky".

Quote Originally Posted by rucyco2 View Post
    Not exactly "Co-stars" but F1 World Champions Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna despised each other (Prost's contract for 1993-1994 with Williams specifically stated that Ayton was NOT to be his team mate). Sometimes this spilled over to the track (you know who you are)

It seems that they put it behind them, Ayrton even mentioned Alain during a interview stating that he (Senna) missed Prost.

After Senna was killed at Imola, the Senna family asked Prost to sit on the board of directors of the charity that Senna had started. To my knowledge he does to this day.
    If you watch the flick Senna, you will notice Prost was a pall bearer.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny