Thread: Midnight in the Garden of East Texas - Bernie Tiede

Midnight in the Garden of East Texas - Bernie Tiede

This is another story about another old lady found in a freezer - this happened back in '96. Rumor is that Jack Black will play the bad guy. Don't know when it is supposed to come out; this article is dated in 8/2010.
    East Texas woman's gruesome murder to become Hollywood movie

[SIZE=2]Posted:
    [/SIZE]

Aug 10, 2010 6:23 PM CDT
    [SIZE=3]<em class="wnDate">Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:23 PM EST</em>[/SIZE]Updated:

Aug 11, 2010 12:54 PM CDT
    [SIZE=3]<em class="wnDate">Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:54 PM EST</em>[/SIZE]Posted by Ellen Krafve - email
    By Taylor Hemness - bio | email

Carthage, TX - By Taylor Hemness - bio | email
    Posted by Ellen Krafve - bio | email | Twitter
    CARTHAGE, TX (KLTV) - More than a decade ago, a Carthage man confessed to killing an elderly woman, then putting her body in a freezer for months while he spent her money.
    It was a crime that was talked about all over East Texas, and now, the story is being made into a movie.
    It was August of 1997 when authorities discovered the body of 81-year-old Marjorie Nugent in the deep freeze of her home. She had been shot multiple times in the back, and her body had apparently been in the freezer for months. But that wasn't the part that shocked the people of Carthage the most.
    "Bernie seemed to be the sweetest most compassionate people that you'd ever want to know," said one East Texan in 1997.
    The real surprise came when Bernie Tiede confessed to the crime. He had become close to Nugent after her husband died. In addition to confessing to murder, he told authorities that he had been spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of Nugent's money. But his confession apparently was not all that convincing.
    "There was a lot of elderly people here in Carthage that even after it was all said and done, and he had signed a confession, that still would not believe that he had done it," said Dennis LaGrone.
    Film crews will soon be in Carthage, to shoot Bernie, a dark comedy based on the murder, with funny man Jack Black in the title role, and Oscar-winner Shirley MaClaine playing Nugent. It has folks in Carthage seeing stars in their eyes.
    "I've dreamed about being an actress, and being on TV," said Kristen Liedtke. "I'm in my drama team in my church, and I just love acting."
    "It's probably a once in a lifetime deal," said Brack LaGrone. "I don't want to miss that."
    "I've never acted before, so maybe this will be a first for me," Loletha Davis.
    Other Carthage residents are thinking about the money a movie shoot would bring in, as long as it does not paint the town in a negative light.
    "It depends on how they portray Carthage," said Carrie Liedtke. "If they're going to portray us as a bunch of ignorant people, then I don't think it would be good for the Carthage community."
    Carthage residents may get their shot at stardom, because the film crew will reportedly be looking for extras.
    Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.

That guy Bernie looks like actor Bruce McGill - who played "D-Day" in Animal House and a lot of other movies. They should have him play Bernie!

Mammy Guest
    I think it is in poor taste to be making a "dark comedy" about an actual murder victim who was killed by someone she trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I think it is in poor taste to be making a "dark comedy" about an actual murder victim who was killed by someone she trusted.
    I have to agree, no way to make this funny. Not even if the victim was young and pretty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark of quality throughout the world...

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    That guy Bernie looks like actor Bruce McGill - who played "D-Day" in Animal House and a lot of other movies. They should have him play Bernie!
    He does. I don't see how they could make a dark comedy out of this either... Even though she was elderly, she's still somebody's grandma.

Their happiness at having a movie made there about this is enough to show their ignorance. There is nothing funny about this.

Nothing new here. Dark comedy isnt about gutbusting gags and frathouse humour its a satyrical presentation of disturbing scenarios as critical social commentary. Entirely appropriate.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

The Lucky One Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    This is another story about another old lady found in a freezer - this happened back in '96. Rumor is that Jack Black will play the bad guy. Don't know when it is supposed to come out; this article is dated in 8/2010.
    East Texas woman's gruesome murder to become Hollywood movie

[SIZE=2]Posted:
    [/SIZE]

Aug 10, 2010 6:23 PM CDT
    [SIZE=3]<em class="wnDate">Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:23 PM EST</em>[/SIZE]Updated:

Aug 11, 2010 12:54 PM CDT
    [SIZE=3]<em class="wnDate">Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:54 PM EST</em>[/SIZE]Posted by Ellen Krafve - email
    By Taylor Hemness - bio | email

Carthage, TX - By Taylor Hemness - bio | email
    Posted by Ellen Krafve - bio | email | Twitter
    CARTHAGE, TX (KLTV) - More than a decade ago, a Carthage man confessed to killing an elderly woman, then putting her body in a freezer for months while he spent her money.
    It was a crime that was talked about all over East Texas, and now, the story is being made into a movie.
    It was August of 1997 when authorities discovered the body of 81-year-old Marjorie Nugent in the deep freeze of her home. She had been shot multiple times in the back, and her body had apparently been in the freezer for months. But that wasn't the part that shocked the people of Carthage the most.
    "Bernie seemed to be the sweetest most compassionate people that you'd ever want to know," said one East Texan in 1997.
    The real surprise came when Bernie Tiede confessed to the crime. He had become close to Nugent after her husband died. In addition to confessing to murder, he told authorities that he had been spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of Nugent's money. But his confession apparently was not all that convincing.
    "There was a lot of elderly people here in Carthage that even after it was all said and done, and he had signed a confession, that still would not believe that he had done it," said Dennis LaGrone.
    Film crews will soon be in Carthage, to shoot Bernie, a dark comedy based on the murder, with funny man Jack Black in the title role, and Oscar-winner Shirley MaClaine playing Nugent. It has folks in Carthage seeing stars in their eyes.
    "I've dreamed about being an actress, and being on TV," said Kristen Liedtke. "I'm in my drama team in my church, and I just love acting."
    "It's probably a once in a lifetime deal," said Brack LaGrone. "I don't want to miss that."
    "I've never acted before, so maybe this will be a first for me," Loletha Davis.
    Other Carthage residents are thinking about the money a movie shoot would bring in, as long as it does not paint the town in a negative light.
    "It depends on how they portray Carthage," said Carrie Liedtke. "If they're going to portray us as a bunch of ignorant people, then I don't think it would be good for the Carthage community."
    Carthage residents may get their shot at stardom, because the film crew will reportedly be looking for extras.
    Copyright 2010 KLTV. All rights reserved.
    I think that is just disgusting! People have no tact! If it was any of our mothers, I think it would be a diffrent story...

Why are the people in Carthage acting like they're all going to be movie stars now? I get that they're making the film, and I get that they may hire a few local extras. But, and maybe it's just me, but "I've dreamed of being an actress and being on TV"... isn't that kind of a stretch? I'm not sure that being in her church's drama department (?) and living in the town they're filming in is gonna equal movie star. Kind of a strangely written article, really, in that regard.

And yeah, Duster, I was thinking mummified as well... I've never fainted before, but had I been the one that lifted that lid, I don't think I could've kept standing. You see a freezer, and you just, you don't expect to see THAT inside... how truly horrific!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Marjorie Nugent & Bernie Tiede

It's really true, you know - you *can't* make some of this stuff up, because some of it *is* true.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/ma...p-freeze.html?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhar...ernie%22_Tiede

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Nelliebean Guest
    Cross chicken pot pies off my list!

Mammy Guest
    Poor old Shirley MacLaine must be desperate for a movie role if she is willing to endure Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey!

I appreciate his attitude.

I wonder if I have any potpies in the freezer?

Fantastic article!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Poor old Shirley MacLaine must be desperate for a movie role if she is willing to endure Jack Black and Matthew McConaughey!
    Not too many roles in Hollyweird for women her age.

Sad, isn't it?

Mammy Guest
    It is sad and she deserves better. I know Terms of Endearment is a very old movie, but she was awesome in it. She deserves double pay for putting up with Jack Black's stupid ass.

Ms. K Guest
    Lord have mercy, but that woman was a hateful bitch! She was a total pill while she was alive, and honestly, the ending she met was fitting.

I feel sorry for Bernie, I really do. He's the only one who had the guts to put her out of everyone else's misery, and he's in prison for it.

RebelRocker Guest
    you know this movie was labeled as a comedy at the redbox machine so when i rented it, i thought it would be a funny movie. i didnt know what it was about, i havent heard of this case before, i didnt know anything. i just seen jack black was in it as well as matthew m. i was shocked the way the movie turned out.

SUCH a good movie. I was shocked I hadn't already heard about it when I learned it was a true story!

Tiede was released from prison in May. He is now living with director Richard Linklater in Austin.
    http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...er-5572927.php
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Not remotely a comedy. More along the lines of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. One newspaper article even had an article about it titled Midnight in the Garden of East Texas and I'd say that's a good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by soaring_butterfly View Post
    SUCH a good movie. I was shocked I hadn't already heard about it when I learned it was a true story!
    I just saw it and had the same experience. Got the dvd. There was an alternate ending in the special features that was rather creepy and could have two meanings. Anyone see that?

And yep Mrs. K, she was a hateful bitch that Bernie put out of everyone else's misery.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Tiede was released from prison in May. He is now living with director Richard Linklater in Austin.
    http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...er-5572927.php
    I didn't know that. Thanks Ichles.

luckyinlove Guest
    The movie was great. I saw it on TV so no alternate ending...

$5 on amazon. Just ordered it.
    Last edited by luckyinlove; 12-10-2015 at 11:00 PM.

You can also check your local library for the dvd or blue ray. Ours are film treasure troves. The best part? People are checking out Christmas movies like crazy, so films like this are easier to get there right now.

The other special features are also pretty cool. I won't spoil em for ya.

Bernie also used to be on Netflix. Not sure if it's still there though. I really wish Bernie would give an interview or write a book but I believe a condition of his release was that he did not speak to the media, correct? I've heard Jack Black say in interviews he'd love to make a sequel and Bernie IS living with the director...

IMO the movie was not a documentary, it was a movie--based on facts, but open to interpretation. No matter how you look at it, it's murder and cover up. Was Bernie as charming as portrayed in the movie? Who knows. Obviously the only reason the case was looked at again was because of the movie. Well, someone could make a dark comedy about, say, John Wayne Gacy and make him look charming. I'm not saying Bernie was a cold hearted person (as was JWG), but murder is murder and if you let everyone off because they are charming, Ted Bundy would never have stayed in prison. Just sayin'

He was paroled because temporary insanity was proven.

Well just to clarify, he wasn't paroled but let out awaiting retrial/sentencing. Still gets 99-life.

I feel bad for him. Personally I feel he did his time and should have been let out for good. I also LOVED the movie, "Bernie". I found it hilarious!

Back to prison for this murdering assmunch!!!

Not the least bit surprised he was returned to prison. This is Texas, we don't put up with murder under any circumstances.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

"That jury's got more tattoo's than teeth"!!! LOVE that movie and the "real" towns people. Now Bernie should do his time, but the movie is just awesome.
    My Posse's On Broadway

^Truth. That was such a good movie

It was a good movie. Knowing some of the folks in Carthage, before they started filming and while they were filming, they weren't real thrilled about the project. They were worried Carthage would be portrayed as a little hick town full of yokels, as well as make light of a serious matter. Everyone knew the lady was a bitch, but still that doesn't make murder right. I think they did a good job with the town and people. I'm not sure what the Carthagites (?) finally ended up thinking after it was done.