Thread: Boogity boogity boogity! Best prayer ever

PurrPurr Guest

Boogity boogity boogity! Best prayer ever

If you think pastors and prayer are boring, you'll need to look at this. Boogity boogity boogity!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J74y88YuSJ8

Adorable! Best "blessed" laugh I've had in two weeks!!!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Now that's what I call "funny" :-)

They needed a little box on the screen saying "This prayer brought to you by . . . the US automobile industry"

*Sniffing with dissaproval* I wouldn't have done it. I found it self serving as a way to get famous. I know I am in the minority, but I didn't find it funny or sincere.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    I'm a big NASCAR fan and I loved it! Sometimes the starting ceremonies for these races can be so hoo-hum. This preacher managed to personalize his prayer, to reach out to the NASCAR fans. That's what I think the ministry should be all about. The ability to relate to the people he's speaking to. I think he did a great job. He must be a Darell Waltrip fan!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

blykins Guest
    Doesn't show much reverence to God. Too lax with not much respect shown.

Don't want to get all theological here, but I was always taught that God doesn't care how you pray to him, just as long as you pray. I'm thinking of the verse in the Bible that goes: "When two or more are gathered in My name, I am there."
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

blykins Guest
    That passage speaks about meeting for the purpose of worshiping God. I don't think it refers to meeting together to curse, drink beer, and watch a NASCAR race....LOL

I do agree that God wants us to pray to Him for anything that we need or anything that bothers us.

However, this guy's prayer was more of a comedy relief than anything else...and the more people whooped and hollered and laughed, the more energized he got.

I know we all have our own beliefs and opinions, but I personally would have been ashamed to speak to God like that.

Fair enough. We each chose to worship (or not worship) God in our own way. What is a comfortable way to do that for some people, may not be acceptable to others. I just think that because this pastor was so enthusiastic about what he was praying about, meant that he was sincere. I just took it as someone who knows what the NASCAR racing scene is about and tried to construct his prayer in a matter that would get the crowd into it as well. You don't know how many pre-race ceremonies I've seen where people in the stands are still texting, talking on the cell phone or being generally disrespectful, while the invocation is being given. Same happens during the singing of the National Anthem.
    And I do have to add that not all people at a NASCAR race curse or drink beer. I think that is an unfair generalization of this group of fans. I, myself, very rarely curse and I prefer wine over beer!

blykins Guest
    I choose to watch from home....that way I can skip the traffic.

I'm an engine builder, so the majority of the time, I skip across the NASCAR stuff just to see who's leading the pack.

I do agree with you in the fact that lots of respect has been lost over the years....both for God and for our country. People who don't take their hats off during prayers or goof off during the National Anthem get on my nerves.

Love it!
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    Don't want to get all theological here, but I was always taught that God doesn't care how you pray to him, just as long as you pray. I'm thinking of the verse in the Bible that goes: "When two or more are gathered in My name, I am there."
    Why not get theological? It wasn't a sin the last time I checked.

"Real people" do theology all the time, they just don't call it that.

The biggest problem with most professional theologians is that they give answers no one understands to questions nobody asked. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Why not get theological? It wasn't a sin the last time I checked.

"Real people" do theology all the time, they just don't call it that.

The biggest problem with most professional theologians is that they give answers no one understands to questions nobody asked. :-)
    I just didn't want to offend anybody. I'm actually pretty new to the whole talking about God kind of thing. I was brought up in a household that always believed you never talked about God or Politics. Turns out that was only because my mom and dad chose not to be educated about either subject. So my understanding about God and Politics is still in the rudementary stages.

However, I have been a NASCAR fan since 1990. I just wanted to add some perspective to this, for people who have never been to a NASCAR race. The pre-race invocation is a much more informal prayer than you'd find at a house of worship. It's basically just a prayer for God to bless the people in attendence at the race, and to ask Him to keep the drivers and pit crews safe. It is also a prayer to thank God for the blessings he has given us. In the pastor's case he considers his "smoking hot" wife and his 2 sons (the little E's! ) his blessings. I love that. I would take it as the utmost compliment if my husband chose to call me "smoking hot"! Like I said before, some of these invocations start to sound all the same after awhile. So, anybody who can put some "zing" into it to keep the fans respectful, is okay in my book.
    I've been to 1 NASCAR race, 2 NFL games, 4 NHL games, 2 MLB games and 1 NBA game. By far, the fans at the NASCAR race were the most friendliest and politest people than any of the other sports events I attended.

Rosebud666 Guest
    When I was a kid, there was a song in our hymnal that went:

Lord of cable, Lord of rail,
    Lord of motorway and mail,
    Lord of rocket, Lord of flight,
    Lord of soaring satellite,
    Lord of lightningâ??s livid line,
    All the world of speed is thine!

Sounds a little dated today. Maybe there should be a new verse about "super-hot wives" :-)

I have to admit, the "super-hot wife" thing and the references to GM, etc. kind of threw me for a moment, and then I thought, well why not.

What's up with the boogity boogity boogity thing? I was expecting him to start speaking in tongues. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post

What's up with the boogity boogity boogity thing? I was expecting him to start speaking in tongues. :-)
    "boogity, boogity boogity" is what the NASCAR TV announcer, and former racecar driver, Darrell Waltrip says at the start of every race that he's announcing. It's from the song "The Streak" by Ray Stevens.

rjbrasher Guest
    that is awesome. If prayer was like this more. I may pay attention I think it was a great send off!

sorry to all the ones that are hardcore into it.