Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 15222324
Results 1,151 to 1,192 of 1192

Thread: Amy Winehouse

Anybody seen the movie yet?

qulevergrrl Guest
    I saw one movie about her, starring her. But I don't know if it is THE movie. It was strange, it was like there was no publicity. All of the sudden one night there was this huge movie on about Amy.

I was referring to the new documentary "Amy" that just came out...

I just got back from seeing it. It was depressing, and made me angry. I know she is responsible for her own choices but she also was surrounded by a lot of shitbags. Tony Bennett was so nice to her, he seemed like a really sweet guy. She was so nervous and kept messing up (in her mind at least) and kept telling him she didn't want to waste his time. But he said something like "Do you have anything else important you have to go do? Well, neither do I" and let her keep trying til she got it.

It made me angry because she had so many things going for her that other people don't have. She had friends that she'd had since she was 14 years old. She had money and could have anything she wanted. But then her parents weren't much of a help to her. Her mom said Amy told her that she let her walk all over her when she was just 10 years old. She was wise beyond her years. She had also told both her parents about her "great diet" that was eating whatever she wanted them bringing it back up, which I think her mother then says was "basically" or "almost" bulimia. Yet neither of her parents seemed very concerned. It definitely contributed to her death. She had overdosed and was brought to the hospital when she was with her husband and they told her if she drank again or had another seizure she would die.

As for alcohol, she switched to drugs when she was with her husband (another shitbag, pretty much) but did start drinking again after being sober when she was forced to do 5 tour dates she had scheduled. She didn't want to do them. There was a concert in Serbia where she was literally taken out of bed at her flat in Camden while she was sleeping and put on a private plane. She went on stage but didn't sing and was booed off the stage.

It was so sad when her dad did a TV show about being Amy's dad, and showed up in St. Lucia where she seemed finally happy. Her bodyguard said they originally were going for a week but it turned into 6 months. Her dad showed up with a camera crew and you could tell she was so unhappy about that. She told her dad that if he was doing it for money she would just give him money. But her dad obviously was more interested in fame for himself.

It was sad at the end. One of the friends from when she was 14 had told her she didn't like who she had become but that she still loved her, and basically to call her again if she stopped the drinking/drugs. Amy called her the night before she died and just said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" like a million times, after not talking to her for 5 months or so, I think. The next day her bodyguard found her dead. He was basically the only person she had in those last few months, and he was like a father and mother to her.

So I don't know. A mother and father both in denial, a father who seemed to care about fame more than about his daughter's health, a husband who introduced her to crack and heroin, a rehab place that let her and her husband in together (a drug counselor was interviewed and said this was pretty much unethical to do) which they left 3 days later, all put on a girl who had obvious mental issues (depression and bulimia among who knows what else) and just wanted to sing, it's not clear who is really to blame.

Good review bettie.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Thank you. I am going to assume you aren't being sarcastic even though I feel what I wrote was kind of disjointed.

I just can't stop thinking about Amy after watching this. She really felt things in her heart and her lyrics were really insightful and articulate for someone so young. I wasn't that smart/savvy at the age she was when writing those. They'd put the lyrics in words during the parts where she was singing. She had a very co-dependent relationship with her husband. They said she wanted to be able to feel what exactly what he was feeling, like they had one brain, and that was how she would feel the closest to someone. I'm sure that's why she tried the drugs, to see how Blake felt or thought using them. They had another clip where he was saying he had cut himself (I can't remember how) but the two of them were walking around all bloody, and he said that after he was cut she picked up something and cut herself the same way, so she would feel what he was feeling. It's like she was so desperate to relate to people she felt she had to go to these extremes.

I can't remember why, but they didn't send her to the US to go to the Grammy's when she was nominated. I think it was something to do with her sobriety. Her friends of 13 years were there with her (in London, where they had Amy on a live feed at 2am her time), and when it was announced she had won, her friend was crying, and Amy called her over to her, and took her backstage. She told her friend that stuff just wasn't fun for her without drugs. That's when her friend told her she didn't like who she had become, and that stuff.

Also, I hadn't realized that police had batter-rammed their way into Amy's flat to arrest Blake for some drug charges. It was while he was in jail that she went to St. Lucia. There were pictures posted of her kissing another man while in the water and they show an interview with Blake saying how humiliating it was to be in jail and have your wife all over TV with another man, and how hard that was for him. But not because it hurt him that he'd lost Amy, just because people teased him. Then he says something like he realized he was a good looking guy and could get any other girl and filed for divorce from her on the grounds of adultery. What a gem. It was all about him. I don't think he really cared for Amy, partly because I don't know that he's really capable of caring about anyone other than himself.

It was the same thing with her dad. I'm sure loved her, and it said she adored him, but her dad definitely was more worried about how things were affecting him rather than her as well. That's why I'm glad she had the bodyguard in the end, and I think she was finally realizing what it meant to have someone who really did care for her. That's why I think she called her friend and apologized (she also called her former manager and made amends with him and was excited for his upcoming wedding but died just before it), but all the realizations came too late to make a difference.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 07-18-2015 at 11:23 PM.

No. I wasn't being mean. I was disjointed last night when I read it so it seemed fine to me. I could not have sat through it so I appreciated your review.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Great posts Bettie, thanks!! I'm going to see it when I can.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Thanks clean and mcCourt. I definitely recommend it. I wasn't a huge, huge Amy fan, I mean I had a few of her songs on my iPod, and followed her exploits and stuff, and it was still very interesting. I'm still thinking about it off and on today. Just such a tragedy all around.

It's sad when I think about it. I loved her music, she really could have accomplished so much more if she could have cleaned up her act.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Okie fellow Hags, I'm currently, right now as I type, watching the documentary "Amy." Let me preface this comment by saying that I enjoyed her music but I wouldn't call myself a huge "fan" as we know that term. I'm not a huge fan of jazz and need to be in a very specific mood to listen for more than 15 minutes or so. Anyway, seeing her back before she became famous and began abusing substances, I'm reminded just how beautiful she was. The documentary is very slow moving, which is why I'm here typing instead of being unable to look away. Some of the songs featured are entirely too long. Its hard to explain, but basically its like when you're listening to a song and your mind drifts off and when you snap back to attention, you cannot believe the song is still playing and you need to put it on mute or try and find substances of your own. She, even at the beginning, didn't enunciate well enough, so its impossible to understand the words of her songs. Couple that with the fact that she's got a really, really thick Cockney accent and I'm looking for how to turn on the closed caption function so I know what the fuck she's saying.
    Minerva

I watched it a couple of weeks ago, and loved it. A bit long in my opinion, very sad as you watched her go from being vibrant and healthy into a downward spiral. I've seen longer footage of the concert where she is totally out of it, I was shocked that her "handlers" let her go on knowing full well she wouldn't be able to perform or even function for that matter. I guess they wanted to see what she would do, or not do. It was very cruel. It wasn't about her, by then she was a novelty to be used and exploited.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I'll try and watch it again once it comes on Netflix or cable. It could be that I wasn't in the proper mood to sit for that long (as you said, it is quite long). They probably didn't need to include every single thing in there that they put in. I've watched a few of the clips from that last concert on YouTube tonight and you're right that cruel that they allowed her to go on. I don't know why her family didn't sue them for this. If she had lived it could have ruined her.
    Minerva

i watched "Amy" and also had to CC it cuz of her accent. anywhoo, all i can say is, sad.

I watched it on the plane to Istanbul. I never really knew too much about her other than a song or two and all the hoo=ha in the news. The docu was quite eyeopening. She did seem to be an old soul from a different era -- great voice. I'm not a jazz fan either, but she would have fit in perfectly 40-50 years ago. Her father in particular, and he other handlers should be away for what they did to her, or what they didn't do for her. What a money grubbing swine he was.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Last edited by cash; 01-06-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Waltham Abbey in Essex & Filey In Yorkshire UK
    Sorry if this has already been shared but i found this on the WWW today and i don't know if it is real
    I will just post the link here
    http://stars.topix.com/slideshow/16597/slide120
    it may come up with Malcolm X but if you click Back a couple of times there is a picture of AW (looks like shes sleeping) supposedly taken by her bodyguard who found her???
    as i said, not sure if its real

(also pic of David Carridine on the Slab...but that belongs in another thread)

Yeah, I saw that last week. IDK if it's real or not.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Cat View Post
    Sorry if this has already been shared but i found this on the WWW today and i don't know if it is real
    it may come up with Malcolm X but if you click Back a couple of times there is a picture of AW (looks like shes sleeping) supposedly taken by her bodyguard who found her???
    as i said, not sure if its real

(also pic of David Carridine on the Slab...but that belongs in another thread)
    I might be wrong but she was in her bed when he found her and to me that picture looks more like she is out of it on a couch. But if it is the real deal, it's a good find as many were looking for it and assumed there wasn't one.

this is why I love FAD. My friends and family think I'm weird for wanting to see death pics. IDK why I want to see them, but I do. lol. Alot of those pics
    are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Cat View Post
    That's a still taken from a home video leaked by her *husband* in 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75yifjn7bHo

Quote Originally Posted by All Hope is Gone View Post
    That's a still taken from a home video leaked by her *husband* in 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75yifjn7bHo
    Well they don't call it "dope" for nothing.
    Minerva

I was a fan of Amy's music before she died and definitely followed the exploits up until she died. I thought the documentary was pretty well done and was really disturbed by how flippant her parents seemed to be. Tragic all around. I watched "Autopsy" last night on youtube and they talked about her final days and the autopsy results, the doctor mentioned that she may have also suffered from bipolar personality disorder but she was never diagnosed as she refused psychological help.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    I was a fan of Amy's music before she died and definitely followed the exploits up until she died. I thought the documentary was pretty well done and was really disturbed by how flippant her parents seemed to be. Tragic all around. I watched "Autopsy" last night on youtube and they talked about her final days and the autopsy results, the doctor mentioned that she may have also suffered from bipolar personality disorder but she was never diagnosed as she refused psychological help.
    It makes total sense that so many young people die from overdoses that later were thought to have bi polar or some other mental illness. When we're growing up and turn 19, 20, 21, those are the ages when a lot of these illnesses first begin to manifest and show major symptoms. The person feels different, they feel wrong and since substances, alcohol, drugs, etc., seem to be around people of the age, they try different substances in order to try and feel either back to "normal" like they used to or just better than they do. Sometimes the cycle can be reversed and a cocktail of medications can work for them or they disappear into substance abuse and death.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    It makes total sense that so many young people die from overdoses that later were thought to have bi polar or some other mental illness. When we're growing up and turn 19, 20, 21, those are the ages when a lot of these illnesses first begin to manifest and show major symptoms. The person feels different, they feel wrong and since substances, alcohol, drugs, etc., seem to be around people of the age, they try different substances in order to try and feel either back to "normal" like they used to or just better than they do. Sometimes the cycle can be reversed and a cocktail of medications can work for them or they disappear into substance abuse and death.
    Mental health is so important. I didn't know when those symptoms began to manifest.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Mental health is so important. I didn't know when those symptoms began to manifest.
    It can be earlier but usually early 20s its impossible for the person to not know something is up. At least that is what I've been able to discover through research. It could be the fact that its when the person is usually facing the most stress in their lives with leaving high school and the security of home and mom/dad and starting out life on their own. This also seems to be a time when most young adults don't necessarily want to confide in their parents and just try to mask the symptoms with whatever they can find.
    Minerva

At times, I think it seemed like her parent's got to the stage that they thought what else can we do. We've tried rehab etc and nothing is working and she isn't listening to us.

I got the book that Mitch brought out and while he does blame himself for a lot of it (As he should), he put's a lot on Blake's doorstep as well for starting her on the heavier stuff. He alleges that everytime they tried to help her, he was there offering her crap so he wouldn't be screwed up on his own then acted surprised that she could never get clean.

Saying that though, she wasn't right before that. She said a few times that it was when Mitch left Janice that things started screwing up as she was always daddy's little girl and even though everyone made up, it was never the same after that. Maybe she saw something of him in Blake andthat's why she kept going back to him even when everyone else told her how bad he was for her.

It can be earlier but usually early 20s its impossible for the person to not know something is up. At least that is what I've been able to discover through research. It could be the fact that its when the person is usually facing the most stress in their lives with leaving high school and the security of home and mom/dad and starting out life on their own. This also seems to be a time when most young adults don't necessarily want to confide in their parents and just try to mask the symptoms with whatever they can find.
    This is the truth. When in her late fifties my mother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, she told me that had always known--even as a child--that something was wrong with her. Drinking and doping compounds it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    This is the truth. When in her late fifties my mother was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, she told me that had always known--even as a child--that something was wrong with her. Drinking and doping compounds it.
    It does compound it but it makes perfect sense to self medicate. I hope your mom is getting really good help with her disease. I wish that the stigma of mental illness could be erased. It should not be shameful to be diagnosed with one. Its no different than any other disease.
    Minerva

It does compound it but it makes perfect sense to self medicate. I hope your mom is getting really good help with her disease. I wish that the stigma of mental illness could be erased. It should not be shameful to be diagnosed with one. Its no different than any other disease.
    She die ten years ago.
    , and liver cancer.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    She die ten years ago.
    , and liver cancer.
    I'm sorry doll.
    Minerva

This is so wrong on some many levels. First bring a look-a-like of your late daughter to a function. Then hug a creepy statue of your daughter....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ghter-Amy.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	215A45FC00000578-3729449-image-a-51_1470659612905.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	53879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3700436B00000578-3729449-image-m-61_1470661804590.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	53880  
    Last edited by whiskyboots; 08-08-2016 at 11:30 AM.

If one of my children died, I'd probably be a huge mess but I don't think he was right in the head before
    Amy died.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    A money grab maybe, I think her Dad was more
    close to her.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    A money grab maybe, I think her Dad was more
    close to her.
    It's the other way about in my opinion. Unlike Mitch, Janice hasn't ever used her for attention, something Amy seemed happy about. He was only out for what he could get and was using her to get himself attention, something he continues to do now even after her death like claiming her ghost is visiting him, bringing out albums and performing etc. An example of him trying to use her was when he went to St Lucia with a film crew to do a doc. She went mad as she was supposed to be there to just relax and rest and she also called him out on Twitter when the documentary aired.
    Many friends and family look to him being at fault for a lot of her issues. He walked out when she was a kid as he was seeing someone one else and to this day he claims everything was fine but others say that is a lie and that was the reason she started going down the road she ended up on. He also at one time said she didn't need rehab when others were in no doubt she did.

I agree with you on this shellc. Her father used her big time, he disgusts me. Her mother has always kept a low profile, I will read her book.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

41. 01-21-2019, 10:31 AM

Admin Cindy Guest

last performance