Thread: Furst & Larkin 1989 Unsolved Murders in MD

Furst & Larkin 1989 Unsolved Murders in MD

I really want this to be solved.

https://www.wmar2news.com/news/crime...al-in-aberdeen

The murders on Maxa Road have been described as something like urban legend. A story so gruesome and evil, it could not possibly be real.

But the murders of Ann Furst and her daughter, Helen Larkin, are all too real.

I was only two when this happened, so I don't remember it at all - but one of my neighbors heard one of the women screaming. She didn't call the police because she thought someone had a TV on too loud.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-16-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Replaced broken link
    For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

What's so good about goodbye, when the best was yet to come?

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Wow. That is so tragic... It almost seems too much for one family to have to take. They are preparing to bury the husband and on the day of his funeral find his wife and daughter murdered. Then all three are buried in one funeral. It sounds like its a movie or something. I wonder if the window was already broken and the perp was waiting inside for the two women to come home (from the viewing)? Then waited for them to go to bed and then struck. I don't know. I sure hope the cold case squad can solve it since it has been at least 20 years ago now.

steph81202 Guest
    I too live in Maryland and have my whole life. I have not heard of this crime. It would be nice if they could solve it.

That is truly horrifying. Those poor women. Is the house occupied now? I hope someone will come up with some leads even after 22 years.

Rudolph Hurst, whose natural death preceded his wife's and daughter's murders by just 2 days:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=42173563&

Anne, the murdered widow:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=42173635

Helen Larkin, murdered daughter:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=42173723&

Whoever started these pages probably was not aware that the women were murder victims, since there is no story with them, and none of the few comments mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by microsonic66 View Post
    That is truly horrifying. Those poor women. Is the house occupied now? I hope someone will come up with some leads even after 22 years.
    Yes, there's an older man living in it now. I think he's lived in it since it came on the market. I used to sell Girl Scout cookies to him!
    For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

Sounds like a totally random murder. Those are very hard to solve.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I wanted to post this on WebSleuths but I can't register with my email address (apparently they have something against Hotmail). Anyone willing to share this case over there? I'm just trying to have it get as much coverage as possible. I'm considering writing Investigation Discovery about it.

Lisamarie Guest
    who benefited from their deaths ?

I hope they solve the murders.

maxaroad Guest
    Hi - I am the one featured in the ABC news spot. I can tell you that the sheriff's department tells me they don't have the resources to continue to investigate this. No one benefitted from the murders as nothing was taken. ANY details anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

maxaroad Guest
    I'm not sure if my last post made it so I am trying this again! I am the one featured in the ABC news story. The case is not being investigated by the Sheriff's department. Any details anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

maxaroad Guest
    No benefit. Nothing was stolen...

maxaroad Guest
    There is a theory the brick thrown thru the window was staged to make it look like a robbery. The cold case detective in the tv spot has since told me the case is not a priority.

In spite of what the detective told you, every case is a priority in my opinion. I'd love to see this case get solved too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark of quality throughout the world...

Hi Mari,

Just saw that you posted a thread about your mom and grandmother on Websleuths. Hopefully something will come up soon. Those people can dig up ANYTHING. I can't believe the sheriff's department told you they don't have the resources to investigate. Why bother even doing the cold case spot on ABC? The fact that only your mother's scapular was missing is what confuses me. WHY take that? It's just bizarre.

Anyway, I hope that this will be solved one day so your family can get some closure. Would it be alright to private message you about it? Since I live a block away, I have a particular interest in this.

edit - I just now saw that you PM'd me. I sent a reply.
    Last edited by saturnine; 10-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Did I miss something? Every murder is horrible but I did not see what was so brutal as to make this the stuff of urban legend. Was it that it was so random? That is very scary. And the glass door!! I think cold cases should be a priority. For someone.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Did I miss something? Every murder is horrible but I did not see what was so brutal as to make this the stuff of urban legend. Was it that it was so random? That is very scary. And the glass door!! I think cold cases should be a priority. For someone.
    It's an extremely quiet neighborhood. This is the only murder we've had here.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    It's an extremely quiet neighborhood. This is the only murder we've had here.
    Ah yes, sorry. I thought they meant nation wide horror. I think for anyone, anywhere murder is traumatizing. No question.

CaseHelp101 Guest

Gain from death

The family members may have been initially cleared but I would be interested to know if any members of the family may have had a financial interest (life insurance,inheritance,trusts) because the timing following the husband/dad natural death is almost too convienant. If they had alibis there is still the chance a killer was contracted.

Lastly, were funeral home employees interviewed and ruled out? One may have saw the womens vulnerability.

Interested in what others think :-)

May these women Rest In Paradice

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    This is a very, very strange crime...I have so many questions! Like who stops to put on slippers when you just heard someone throw a brick through your door and murder your daughter? Are slippers really a priority? This makes me think that maybe the door was already broken and the killer did lie in wait until the women were sleeping, but if that's so--how did they not notice all the damage and shattered glass when they arrived home?

My theory: The killer knew the women. This was personal, particularly because of the brutal bludgeoning and the unique nature of the only item missing, the religious necklace. Helen felt comfortable with the killer so she let him (or her I suppose) into the residence. The article said Helen was most likely killed first, so maybe that happened and Ann--awakened by an alarming noise--rushes to put on her slippers when then killer bursts in. The killer threw the brick through the door after the crime to make it look like a break-in. Thoughts?

CaseHelp101 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalHeadBettie View Post
    This is a very, very strange crime...I have so many questions! Like who stops to put on slippers when you just heard someone throw a brick through your door and murder your daughter? Are slippers really a priority? This makes me think that maybe the door was already broken and the killer did lie in wait until the women were sleeping, but if that's so--how did they not notice all the damage and shattered glass when they arrived home?

My theory: The killer knew the women. This was personal, particularly because of the brutal bludgeoning and the unique nature of the only item missing, the religious necklace. Helen felt comfortable with the killer so she let him (or her I suppose) into the residence. The article said Helen was most likely killed first, so maybe that happened and Ann--awakened by an alarming noise--rushes to put on her slippers when then killer bursts in. The killer threw the brick through the door after the crime to make it look like a break-in. Thoughts?

Yeah alot of details dont seem to add up. The timing of their murders were almost to convienant to the husbands death. From what I know, my gut says a family member may know or be involved in these tragic deaths.

MetalHeadBettie Guest
    If it was a family member, I feel like it would have been fairly easy to find out who would have a motive--whether that be financially motivated or over a more personal slight. I always wanted to hop in my car and go interview everyone who knew these people, but then I remember I'm a poor and not a detective haha.

This is so tragic .. was just perusing the local Baltimore news and saw this cold case Featured. I live in a development in Aberdeen that Maxa Rd. Runs through.
    I have not ( Until today heard of this case). Would be amazing with all of the recent technological strides made in forensics someone could get this family closure.
    Last edited by Demondahlia; 11-16-2018 at 12:22 PM.

maxaroad Guest
    @Demondahlia - I'm the daughter in the feature. The Harford County Sheriff Dept. did send some evidence in for further DNA testing. We've followed up as they said we should know something in June, nothing yet to date. This has been the frustration with this case. My case is not a priority and never will be.

maxaroad Guest
    I'm replying 7 years later :-) There is no doubt my mom knew the killer. I agree the brick was an afterthought. I believe my grandmother heard my mom struggling and that's when she got up. My mom was in the living room, not the bedroom as first thought but us (the family). She was forced back to the bedroom. My grandma was already asleep.

Maxaroad, please read the FAQ page at the top of any page. Rule #6, keep the forum tidy, which means not posting consecutive comment less than 30 minutes apart. Please combine posts 6 and 7.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD