Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 81

Thread: Whitey Bulger

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,212

    Whitey Bulger


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In the heart of where I am.
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    looks like a false alarm

    Yet another one.

    This man has been profiled on so many crime shows for so many years; I'm unsure if he'll ever be captured. He may even be living it up somewhere far far away where protection for him is assured. Who knows.
    Last edited by RetroFanatic; 10-26-2008 at 10:16 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,337
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    I think the cops still think he may here - they just picked up the wrong guy. At least that's what CP24 was reporting today.
    Fuck Off. We're Full.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    MA (Noth Shoh)
    Posts
    1,053
    Years ago, the authori-tays were sure he was in Florida. When I went down there I was SERIOUSLY keeping an eye out for him. Then I thought, would it even be worth the $1M (I believe that was the reward at the time) to nab Whitey? I'd probably have to get plastic surgery and enter the Witness Protection Program.
    Last edited by TheNotherOne; 10-26-2008 at 03:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    1,417
    I have also heard he may be hiding in Ireland, had a fake passport to get there and everything. I could see the rationale-- living in a small farmhouse in one of the distant out of the way towns. just going about his business. but who knows...
    Lou: You know what? You've got spunk.Mary: Well, yes…Lou: I hate spunk.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    502

    Smile Whitey Bulger

    Looks like they caught him today in Santa Monica, along with his girlfriend. I'm from Mass so we're like having an awsome couple weeks, Bruins win the Stanely Cup and Bulger is arrested! Here's a link to the New York times article
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/us/23bulger.html

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gillespie, IL
    Posts
    638
    Awesome!!! About damned time!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    289
    Couldn't agree more. Can't wait for more details to come out.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI, USA
    Posts
    1,919
    I was shocked to see this this morning on my news alert! I live in the Winter Hill area which Whitey's gang got their name from (my son goes to the Winter Hill School). This is obviously big news around here.

    On a little mobster celebrity side note, a friend of mine a couple of years ago went into a local donut shop. The place was packed. There was an older gentleman sitting by himself at one of those two-person tables, and the other sit was unoccupied. She asked if anyone was sitting there and if not, was it all right if she sat there and finish her coffee. He was very polite and said of course. When she introduced herself, he said "hello, I'm Howard." He was very pleasant, if quiet. About ten minutes later, it hit her that he was Howie Winter! It then made a little more sense that the locals had given him a bit of space. She finished her coffee very calmly, but she had a moment of "OMG" there.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    It's funny, I'm not hearing much jubilation in Boston over capturing Whitey. Especially from the old school Southie section. To be honest, he was a Robin Hood of sorts. South Boston would NEVER EVER have the oxy/heroin problem it has today if he had still been around.

    And he snuggles small farm animals!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    He spent 15 of the 16 years he was on the run in the SAME STATE IN THE SAME APARTMENT, which was 3 MILES from an FBI office. Really? I'm beginning to think that Whitey and Catherine had something to do with getting "captured" and it wasn't awesome FBI work.

    Booking photo here:
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/whit...23/detail.html

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Witness protection program
    Posts
    826
    Ha ha ha the FBI should be embarrassed!The only way they can catch anyone is if someone rats on them sadly that is a fact.Same apt for 16 years??????What a joke it's like Whitey was standing on the balcony yelling "Hey coppers come an get me!!"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    5,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    Ha ha ha the FBI should be embarrassed!The only way they can catch anyone is if someone rats on them sadly that is a fact.Same apt for 16 years??????What a joke it's like Whitey was standing on the balcony yelling "Hey coppers come an get me!!"
    Considering the fact he had an FBI agent help him yeah I can see how they wouldn't find him right away, and plus the numerous plastic surgeries they had. Not to mention that money helps a lot in keeping people quiet.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~ #METOO grandpa Jan 8,1927-March 9, 2006 Grandma Nov 6, 1926-June 28, 2018. Forever loved and missed always in my heart.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    He actually looks quite the same. Less hair and a full beard, but not unrecognizable by any means. So does she. I was listening to the reporters giving the blow by blow today of what happened in the federal courthouse, and BURST out laughing when they said, "Bulger was just asked if he could afford an attorney, to which he replied, 'I could if you'd give me my money back.' " --- LOVE it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    "But it's a dry heat" South. California
    Posts
    2,768
    $800,000 cash was found in the apartment??? No wonder they paid their rent on time every month.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    I heard today that America's Most Wanted got a tip in 2008 that he went to Santa Monica Pier just about every day reading the paper. They never followed up.

    Personally, I believe they had a hand in their "capture" and the FBI doesn't want anything to do with him b/c of what he might say, which is why they didn't actually capture him. I think had they not concocted the story they did, he'd have just walked into any police station and been like, "I tried to go to the FBI, they don't want me" so they had to cover their ass.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,133
    It's been a great couple of months; between bin Laden getting killed and Bulger finally in custody, two more scumbags are off the Most Wanted list.

    Now...if only the rest of them can get caught in a timely manner.
    “I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so, it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    958
    You know what really ticks me off about these mobster types is how they get so glorified in the media!! They almost make it look like the mafia is glamour or something. Have you seen that show "Mob Wives" and how skanky those chicks are? It's really to me, offensive being half Italian and having a grandfather from Sicily, these people are CRIMINALS! MURDERERS! And TERRORISTS (in Italy)! I realize Whitey is part of the Irish mob, but same difference, all psychos, nothing to be proud of...In fact, the opposite...At one time, this guy was looked at as some sort of "Robin Hood" figure in South Boston...It's really scary and sad.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    1,335
    I think I've forgotten most everything I ever knew about him and the Winter Hill gang - time to go back and read up on them !

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by BooMom View Post
    I think I've forgotten most everything I ever knew about him and the Winter Hill gang - time to go back and read up on them !
    There's a great book, not necessarily all about him but he makes some appearances, it's called "All Souls; A Family Story From Southie" It was written by Micheal Patrick McDonald who grew up in Southie and eventually after school and such moved back there to get his own people to come forward and recognize and mourn the dead. I have to say I bawled my eyes out several times during this book after everything the family went through, both at the hands of Bulger and their situation.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    greater Boston area
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I was shocked to see this this morning on my news alert! I live in the Winter Hill area which Whitey's gang got their name from (my son goes to the Winter Hill School). This is obviously big news around here.

    On a little mobster celebrity side note, a friend of mine a couple of years ago went into a local donut shop. The place was packed. There was an older gentleman sitting by himself at one of those two-person tables, and the other sit was unoccupied. She asked if anyone was sitting there and if not, was it all right if she sat there and finish her coffee. He was very polite and said of course. When she introduced herself, he said "hello, I'm Howard." He was very pleasant, if quiet. About ten minutes later, it hit her that he was Howie Winter! It then made a little more sense that the locals had given him a bit of space. She finished her coffee very calmly, but she had a moment of "OMG" there.
    You're in Winter Hill? I'm near Davis Square--we should have a MA Death Hag get-together some time!

    OK, back to Whitey...I e-mailed a friend of mine, saying that w/the beard & all, if you slapped a red hat w/a pompom on it, Whitey would look like Santa Claus, and she wrote back "More like Satan Claus--the man is the devil incarnate!" Fortunately, most people realize that, but it kills me that there are still some people in Southie who think he was a good guy.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nunya Bidness
    Posts
    10,843
    I can't believe they caught him, I was sure he was (had he been smart) in a country with no extradition treaty. I wonder if the FBI knew where he was all along, he being an upper-echelon informant and all....
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

    - R.H. Sin

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinTMP View Post
    You're in Winter Hill? I'm near Davis Square--we should have a MA Death Hag get-together some time!

    OK, back to Whitey...I e-mailed a friend of mine, saying that w/the beard & all, if you slapped a red hat w/a pompom on it, Whitey would look like Santa Claus, and she wrote back "More like Satan Claus--the man is the devil incarnate!" Fortunately, most people realize that, but it kills me that there are still some people in Southie who think he was a good guy.
    Ah I wish I lived closer to Boston I'm all the way out near Sturbridge, matter of fact that tornado hit the end of my street in Brimfield, anyway I used to go out to Boston all the time my fiancee did property maintenance for a couple buildings on Newbury St.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    My husband was born and raised in the D-Street projects. My mother + uncle lived on P street. To many people that lived there, he WAS a Robin Hood of sorts. Yes, he was a criminal and a murderer, but he wasn't walking around blowing the heads off of people that weren't in lives of crime themselves. Debra Davis and Debra Hussey were probably the only exceptions - one was Flemmi's girlfriend, the other Flemmi's stepdaughter - Flemmi caused their demise. I clearly remember the late 80's and early 90's in Southie - heroin was unheard of and everyone was so paranoid of him that they wouldn't dare bring it in. I know he was a criminal, but at least he had some standards on how the town should be run dealing with criminal behavior. Go check out the D street projects now and tell me it wasn't better with him around.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    My husband was born and raised in the D-Street projects. My mother + uncle lived on P street. To many people that lived there, he WAS a Robin Hood of sorts. Yes, he was a criminal and a murderer, but he wasn't walking around blowing the heads off of people that weren't in lives of crime themselves. Debra Davis and Debra Hussey were probably the only exceptions - one was Flemmi's girlfriend, the other Flemmi's stepdaughter - Flemmi caused their demise. I clearly remember the late 80's and early 90's in Southie - heroin was unheard of and everyone was so paranoid of him that they wouldn't dare bring it in. I know he was a criminal, but at least he had some standards on how the town should be run dealing with criminal behavior. Go check out the D street projects now and tell me it wasn't better with him around.
    Well I would have to add the kid he used as a stooge in the whole Valhalla mess. That kid was just a drug using fishing boat hand that saw a chance for a few easy bucks. Whitey took him out because he was afraid the kid would rat him out for running guns to the IRA, as much a labor f love as a money making activity.
    When I kept a small place on Neponset Ave in Dorchester to use during the week when business brought me to Boston, I used to run my Land lady's dog's over on the tidal flats by Savin Hills Yacht club. I had no idea I was running them in a graveyard at the time.
    My favorite Bulger story was that his liquor store sold a legitimate winning lottery ticket for a couple of million bucks. They story goes that Whitey persuaded the ticket holders to "sell" him the ticket which he then claimed. Being able to point to the ticket proceeds as where he got the money for something far exceeded the ticket winnings in no time.
    http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/g..._bulger/6.html
    I also remember that it was Whitey's crew who distributed geraniums to all the Southie Mom's on mother's day and he could lean on the city, through his brother Billy ( another whole story) to get summer jobs for all the local kids.
    He was a character but he was also a career criminal and a killer. The FBI guy that ended up tipping him off should rot in prison for betraying his public trust.

    Regards,
    Mary

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Witness protection program
    Posts
    826
    First off his FBI guy was jailed years ago so no help there.Whitey did not have plastic surgery his girl did.As far as money helping that is obvious however he had the street smarts to stay under the radar.My opinion of the FBI is unchanged they are a bunch of crooks and can not catch criminals without flipping someone in the case who rats them out.And they do it by offering walking papers to murderers and setting them free.Great police work as they are hated by most police departments as well as stuck up and non cooperative even breaking local laws to justify the end means.The whole charade that we all grew up with about them is a myth and trust me years ago I had my own dealings with them in a corrupt union that was stealing the members blind they turned their heads because of politics.Instead I was threatened that if I kept making problems I would have a problem.They are a bunch of gangsters with badges.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Morto View Post
    First off his FBI guy was jailed years ago so no help there.Whitey did not have plastic surgery his girl did.As far as money helping that is obvious however he had the street smarts to stay under the radar.My opinion of the FBI is unchanged they are a bunch of crooks and can not catch criminals without flipping someone in the case who rats them out.And they do it by offering walking papers to murderers and setting them free.Great police work as they are hated by most police departments as well as stuck up and non cooperative even breaking local laws to justify the end means.The whole charade that we all grew up with about them is a myth and trust me years ago I had my own dealings with them in a corrupt union that was stealing the members blind they turned their heads because of politics.Instead I was threatened that if I kept making problems I would have a problem.They are a bunch of gangsters with badges.
    While the FBI guy is in jail now he was the person who initially tipped Whitey to run, so they say.
    I lost confidence in the FBI when that agent , Reed I think his name was, sold out his country for just a few thousand bucks when all was said and done. Also he was a member of Opus Dei and one of those guys who wore the barbs around his leg but he did it to fund a chippy he had on the side.
    Regards,
    Mary

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    Mary, I actually have some personal knowledge of that ticket. And that whole thing is bullshit. My husbands mother was married to Mike Linskey. Mike's brother bought season tickets at the liquor store that Kevin/Whitey owned, gave his brother one as a xmas present and they agreed to split if they won. When Pat was purchasing them, there was a joke between him, Kevin/Whitey that if one hit, they were partners. Mike hit. He was partners with his brother, so they split it 50/50. Pat made good on his end and split it with Kevin and Whitey. Mike was never, ever paid any money - he merely split his share with his brother, who had a "joking" agreement with Kevin/Whitey that he actually made good on. After taxes, Mike got $289k/year. They were way overextended on their credit in the very beginning, because, well, it sounds like alot, but when you buy a house etc... it's not alot. There was never any 2 million. Plus, Pat/Kevin/Whitey's share was only like $119K each per year. Would've been a bad business decision on Whitey's part to pay 2 mill for it.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    Mary, I actually have some personal knowledge of that ticket. And that whole thing is bullshit. My husbands mother was married to Mike Linskey. Mike's brother bought season tickets at the liquor store that Kevin/Whitey owned, gave his brother one as a xmas present and they agreed to split if they won. When Pat was purchasing them, there was a joke between him, Kevin/Whitey that if one hit, they were partners. Mike hit. He was partners with his brother, so they split it 50/50. Pat made good on his end and split it with Kevin and Whitey. Mike was never, ever paid any money - he merely split his share with his brother, who had a "joking" agreement with Kevin/Whitey that he actually made good on. After taxes, Mike got $289k/year. They were way overextended on their credit in the very beginning, because, well, it sounds like alot, but when you buy a house etc... it's not alot. There was never any 2 million. Plus, Pat/Kevin/Whitey's share was only like $119K each per year. Would've been a bad business decision on Whitey's part to pay 2 mill for it.
    The ticket was for 17.5 million but after the split and taxes etc, Whitey's portion turned out to be 85 K per year, pocket change for him.
    I think the issue and value of the ticket for him was not the actual payout but rather the source of legitimate income that essentially gave him a state sponsored money laundering machine as long as he paid cash. The actual value of the ticket itself was not the value for Whitey.
    There was a fabulous Irish bar and restaurant that I can't remember the name of down near Field's Corner. I used to play darts there all the time and they had great Shepard's pie and didn't serve their Guinness too cold ( a personal issue with me). I keep saying I am going to go back there some time when I am in Boston for business.
    I was in Boston last week for business and Whitey was the only thing happening on TV, radio and in conversation. The local talk radio had some interesting discussions about whether Billy B should be prosecuted if it can be proved he helped or knew where Whitey was while he was on the lam. To a person every caller said they would never rat out their brother, no matter what crime they committed. I would have thought that was a Southie, Charlestown position but Brookline and Medford was right in there with them.
    I was remembering when Charles Stuart was caught out after he killed his pregnant wife and shot himself to cover it up. His brother's knew pretty quickly and the wife of one brother said either you go to the cops or I will.
    There was lot's of controversy about that one at the time as well. In that case the local police chief tipped off Stuart, just released from the hospital, that the Staties were going to pick him up later that afternoon and he hid out in a local hotel The Tara out by the Pike and then did a half gainer off the Tobin Bridge. The guy murdered his pregnant wife and unborn child and I remember all the radio talk shows back then talking about what a rat the brother was and how he never should have let his wife push the issue. That brother was a Boston Firefighter, it was his unmarried house painter brother who helped him dispose of her purse, rings and the gun.
    I think this may be a particularly Boston mindset, I don't mean it in a bad way but it is the most insular place I every lived. Way more so than NYC in my opinion. It may be a holdover of our Irish family members on the old sod keeping quiet during the troubles. I know my family has some stories!
    Regards,
    Mary
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 06-27-2011 at 12:14 PM.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    It was actually 14.5. Mike and my mother in law got divorced about 3 years ago, I think this year is his last check. He moved to Thailand last I heard.

    About a year ago, my husband and I were having some dumb argument one morning after the kids went to school. He went in the basement to pout, and I got a knock at the door. I said, "Who is it?" He replied, "FBI". I opened the door and said, "Um, it wasn't a BIG argument?!" The agent burst out laughing and said, "I'm not here for you. I'm assuming you are either Jean's daughter or daughter in law?" I said, "Ohhhh, let me get my husband." haha. Sigh, no more dreamy federal agents at my house anymore looking for Whitey.

    That Charles Stuart case was horrible. I always wondered what happened to that poor guy that he blamed.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    It was actually 14.5. Mike and my mother in law got divorced about 3 years ago, I think this year is his last check. He moved to Thailand last I heard.

    About a year ago, my husband and I were having some dumb argument one morning after the kids went to school. He went in the basement to pout, and I got a knock at the door. I said, "Who is it?" He replied, "FBI". I opened the door and said, "Um, it wasn't a BIG argument?!" The agent burst out laughing and said, "I'm not here for you. I'm assuming you are either Jean's daughter or daughter in law?" I said, "Ohhhh, let me get my husband." haha. Sigh, no more dreamy federal agents at my house anymore looking for Whitey.

    That Charles Stuart case was horrible. I always wondered what happened to that poor guy that he blamed.
    Great story about the FBI guy!
    Yeah I wondered what happened to that poor guy too. There was also a older black minister that had a heart attack and died during the door to door that first night when they were all looking for the ficticious black guy.
    Regards,
    Mary

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    I used to love going to Southie to see my mom. She died in 1992, and my grandfather sold the triple decker she was in for only like $160K, I could KILL him for that!!! OMG, it's worth a TON now!!! 2 streets from the beach!!! It even wasn't so bad once I met my husband in 2000, we used to go to Triple O's and had a field day watching the fights break out. Now I NEVER go there. Neither does he, really, outside of for funerals for his friends that ended up heroin addicts. It's either all major drugs, or all yuppies there now.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI, USA
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinTMP View Post
    You're in Winter Hill? I'm near Davis Square--we should have a MA Death Hag get-together some time!

    OK, back to Whitey...I e-mailed a friend of mine, saying that w/the beard & all, if you slapped a red hat w/a pompom on it, Whitey would look like Santa Claus, and she wrote back "More like Satan Claus--the man is the devil incarnate!" Fortunately, most people realize that, but it kills me that there are still some people in Southie who think he was a good guy.
    Sorry, I've been away from the computer for a couple of days. We should totally do that! I'm up by City Hall and the High School on one of the side streets. Lots of good watering holes around here if people are inclined, maybe with a Death Haggy theme or tie?

    Back on the subject of Whitey: most of the people I know are pretty relieved he's in custody. It seems like a chapter a lot of people are eager to close around here. People in the know are staying quiet, and everybody else seems relieved.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    The first place I lived in 1984 when I moved to Boston from Ohio was Somerville, Specifically the Davis Square area. It is now like a lower rent suburb of Cambridge like Porter Square was becoming back then when we moved there.
    Back then though it was affordable triple deckers and depending on where you lived old Italian families that were either the parents of mob guys or retired stone masons. If you went just 2 more miles you hit Winter Hill which was the home of Howie Winter's Winter Hill gang which was the Irish Mob. Whitey and his crew came up under Howie as I understand it and there was bitter rivalry and car bombings etc to settle who ran the Irish mob definiitively and the last man standing was Whitey Bulger,
    Both the irish and italian Mob left civilians alone except for those unfortunates caught in the shootouts or who saw the wrong thing.
    Talk about neighborhoods changing we had two full floors, 3 bedrooms, a living room, formal dining room both with big bay windows and a TV room and an eatin kitchen, an enclosed back porch and half the basement for our washer and dryer for $850. a month. I would hate to think what you would pay in that area today.
    Regards,
    mary

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    5,154
    It's sad the way the FBI are getting a roasting on this thread not all the agents are like that.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~ #METOO grandpa Jan 8,1927-March 9, 2006 Grandma Nov 6, 1926-June 28, 2018. Forever loved and missed always in my heart.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/30/whitey...t-most-wanted/

    We paid $14K to fly Whitey in a Coast Guard helicopter from Plymouth to Boston today. About a 20 mile drive that would've been about $10 in gas at most for a car.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/30/whitey...t-most-wanted/

    We paid $14K to fly Whitey in a Coast Guard helicopter from Plymouth to Boston today. About a 20 mile drive that would've been about $10 in gas at most for a car.
    A friend and coworker lives in Southie in a house that belonged to his grandparents and he is a southie boy born and raised. He worked from home today and we were on the phone and he started cursing a blue streak and he said everytime they bring Whitey in or out every Viet Nam vet in southie must start having flashbacks from the helos. I could hear them through the phone. He is on West 5th Street and it was so loud and he is of the opinion they should put the guy in jail, take forever scheduling his trial and he will likely die of old age and everyone is spared a mess.
    Not sure I agree but that is an opinion from the neighborhood!
    regards,
    Mary

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    They are saying it's because they're afraid someone will block the car and machine gun him down.

    Really? Does anyone really care that much about Whitey Bulger anymore? Him and Kevin Weeks could stroll around Castle Island wearing big signs stating who they are, and I bet half the people in Southie wouldn't even know who they were.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NY Long Island
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    They are saying it's because they're afraid someone will block the car and machine gun him down.

    Really? Does anyone really care that much about Whitey Bulger anymore? Him and Kevin Weeks could stroll around Castle Island wearing big signs stating who they are, and I bet half the people in Southie wouldn't even know who they were.
    Ah Castle Island, the L Street Brownies fond memories all!
    regards,
    Mary

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,631
    I have NO idea why, but my mother in law (she's in the picture) gave my husband's best friend the notorized paperwork from the lottery winnings. Whitey wouldn't get his picture taken, but he did sign it. My husband's friend just put it on ebay, and already the Herald wants to talk to my husband. I guess anything Whitey related is on fire right now.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/James-J-Whitey-B...item43a839f5ce

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,750
    Just like John Dillinger was caught by
    the "Woman in Red".

    Whitey Bulger weakness was the same a
    eye for the Ladies.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI, USA
    Posts
    1,919
    Catherine Greig got 8 years (yesterday) for aiding Whitey and she's of course already appealing. Her big defense during the trial was that she was in loooove. Okay, that makes it all right, then! *eyeroll* I'm sure the relatives of Whitey's victims are cool with that explanation:

    http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012...PDI/story.html

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    502
    I'm in love seems to work. Look at Karla Hamolka, I' in love and scared! Though it can go in another direction, Susan Smith anyone?

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,525
    I found this rendering of D-Street projects http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/...ject_meet.html

    and this one from 2008 http://www.flickr.com/photos/23172227@N00/3132483390/ - What a huge difference.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI, USA
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblujems View Post
    I'm in love seems to work. Look at Karla Hamolka, I' in love and scared! Though it can go in another direction, Susan Smith anyone?
    It totally worked for Karla, didn't it? Disgusting thought that that is. The premeditation in Susan Smith's case was sooooo clear that really was no defense at all. Catherine Greig's big problem is she isn't a cute 17 or 18 year old (like Karla). She had ample opportunity to walk out the door and never come back, especially after they relocated to California. I think she tried to imply that she was intimidated into staying, but not a lot of people are buying it.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,212

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,705
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Yep. Chest pains. Costing my state a fortune.

    Oh Cash!...OT: btw you started the Station Nightclub thread! Have you seen that thing grow to almost 50 pages?!
    Last edited by LLC; 11-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    A friend and coworker lives in Southie in a house that belonged to his grandparents and he is a southie boy born and raised. He worked from home today and we were on the phone and he started cursing a blue streak and he said everytime they bring Whitey in or out every Viet Nam vet in southie must start having flashbacks from the helos. I could hear them through the phone. He is on West 5th Street and it was so loud and he is of the opinion they should put the guy in jail, take forever scheduling his trial and he will likely die of old age and everyone is spared a mess.
    Not sure I agree but that is an opinion from the neighborhood!
    regards,
    Mary
    As many know, Jack Nicholsons character Frank Costello in The Departed was loosley based on Whitey himself.

    Speaking about Southie, it always reminds me of this quote from the movie. LOVE IT.

    Your fucking family's dug into the Southie projects like ticks. Three-decker men at best. You, however, grew up on the North Shore, huh? Well, la-di-fuckin'-da. You were kind of a double kid, I bet, right? Huh? One kid with your old man, one kid with your mother. You're upper-middle class during the weeks, then you're dropping your "R"s and you're hangin' in the big, bad Southie projects with your daddy, the fucking donkey on the weekends. I got that right?
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    4,212
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Yep. Chest pains. Costing my state a fortune.

    Oh Cash!...OT: btw you started the Station Nightclub thread! Have you seen that thing grow to almost 50 pages?!
    LLC....... the Station Nightclub tragedy is one of my death obsessions. I never thought it would get to almost 50 pages. I just ordered the book. Regards. Cash.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,490
    Quote Originally Posted by LLC View Post
    Yep. Chest pains. Costing my state a fortune.

    Oh Cash!...OT: btw you started the Station Nightclub thread! Have you seen that thing grow to almost 50 pages?!
    I was wondering when he'd be taken to the hospital. I thought it would have been sooner. I knew he wouldn't last too long in prison before he faked an illness.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •