Page 1 of 12 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have an accent?

onehunglow Guest

Do you have an accent?

[SIZE=3]Growing up in Iowa no matter where I go outside of the Midwest I get “so what part of the Midwest you from?” My Sons were born in Reno NV and think people here talk funny. They were raised in NV till they were in their teens. I listen to NY news and they all have Midwest accents which is they sound like us. We also had breakfast, dinner and supper. We were in NV about a week and got invited to Dinner. We showed up Saturday at 11:45 AM and asked if we were late. Our host said “no, didn’t expect you yet but come on in.” His wife was still in bed. Most humiliating. They never said and anything and I put it together. So we all went for Lunch. Now supper is a word farmers still use but most have converted to breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I can tell a CA. accent and for sure NY or Texas. You all talk strange. [/SIZE]
    Last edited by onehunglow; 11-24-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Texas here..born and raised...and I talk like a hick from the hills...lol The accent gets REALLY heavy if I'm pissed or drunk (so my family says)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    I have a pronounced Southern drawl. I also have the "ability" to imitate any accent if I hear if for a few minutes. I do it almost without thinking about it and sometimes have to stop myself from doing it, so as not to be accused of mocking the person I'm talking to.

rjbrasher Guest
    I have a midwestern accent, and people on the east coast and south, say they can hear it strong. To me i dont hear shit lol

Zombiegirl Guest
    I don't have an accent ya'll.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    I have a midwestern accent, and people on the east coast and south, say they can hear it strong. To me i dont hear shit lol
    That would be sexy!

KMKSouthie2001 Guest
    I have a Bostonian accent. "R"s are not a part of my vocabulary. My two cents: "Mystic River" is a horrible depiction of Boston, the movie "Southie" is an absolute atrocity, however-- "Good Will Hunting" is a very good movie and does not put Boston to shame, and "The Departed" is based on true life (Jack Nicholson's character is a sort of doppelganger of Whitey Bulger). [/two_cents]

Guest Guest
    ummmm,not that i know of.

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    well im from california, so i guess i do have an accent to most people, i can hear it!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Just whatever I picked up in Michigan growing up.

Just a slight spanish accent. Funny thing is my spanish is not good.

MbalmR Guest
    I sound a bit like the characters in the movie "Fargo." I don't do the "ya, hey" thing, though.

l'm canadian. of course l dooon't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    ummmm,not that i know of.
    sweet, you even TYPE "y'all" and "done gone"
    you have an accent.

Ms. K Guest
    Oh Lord, I have true Western Kentucky Twang, even after living in Southern California for nine years!

You can tell I'm from the South, and those from the South can tell where I'm from....especially if they're from Kentucky!

Blondin Guest
    Another Bostonian here. I pahk my cah in Hahvuhd yahd.

Kathyf Guest
    I am from illinois the midwest everytime I isit my cousin in California they say it's so strong.

KMKSouthie2001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondin View Post
    Another Bostonian here. I pahk my cah in Hahvuhd yahd.
    **Clarification: cars cannot be parked in Hahvihd Yahd. Automobiles are only allowed to 'park' in the yard on moving-in day, or if the car is being used for a handicapped person.

Hehe.

Miss Swallow Guest
    I have a midwestern/southern accent. I've been told that I talk fast, proper, with the faintest hint of a southern accent, and someone once said I sounded like Shania Twain.

warmbear Guest
    Well, I grew on both coasts of the US, and wound up without a regional accent. There is a speech pathologist at the hospital whom I drive crazy when I talk, because he tries to figure out where I am from, and never can.

Gary Guest
    I was once told I have a Canadian accent, eh.

Daphne Guest
    Now in MY mind no, I don't have an accent, I live in cali and dontcha know we all speak perfectly here .. its everyone else! just kidding, I have been told by people on the east coast that Californians have an accent, but I dont hear it!

I have a southern accent that's much more pronounced after I watch Steel Magnolias or Fried Green Tomatoes, or any time I hear Judith Ivey speak.

And oddly, I tend to talk a bit like Gwen after I watch a Torchwood ep. I didn't realize that until my husband mentioned it.

Ive lived in California my whole life and I wish I knew what a California accent sounded like. Is it a accent or certain words we say? I admit I say Dude , Awesome, Rad and Gnarly. Is that what they mean?

Quote Originally Posted by KMKSouthie2001 View Post
    My two cents: "Mystic River" is a horrible depiction of Boston...[/two_cents]
    I'm from Maine so can't comment on the Boston depiction, but when I saw folks arriving at a funeral with cases of beer, I thought, "yup, that director has done his research!" baw haw haw! Perhaps it's just my family, tho?

onehunglow Guest

nope

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Ive lived in California my whole life and I wish I knew what a California accent sounded like. Is it a accent or certain words we say? I admit I say Dude , Awesome, Rad and Gnarly. Is that what they mean?
    It's a sound like you hear when say someone from the UK speaks.

True Story:

My oldest and I went to CA couple years back and went to the mall at Hollywood and Highland. We were walking and this group of girls was behind us talking. I swear to God they sounded just like those chicks in Valley Girls. Gag me...like what?... Thought I was gonna die laughing. I really thought that was made up but there are people that speak like that. You know, like, really out there. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

DeadRinger Guest
    Funnily enough, I have an Australian accent. Or, if you prefer, an Orstraylian accent.

How ahhhhhh ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Swallow View Post
    I have a midwestern/southern accent. I've been told that I talk fast, proper, with the faintest hint of a southern accent, and someone once said I sounded like Shania Twain.
    well then they were silly. shania twain is canadian.

I am Australian and speak perfect Strine.... It is everyone else who has the accent.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

you really say 'gnarly'?!?!
    lol!!!!!!!!!

Jaxxx Guest
    Southern born, southern bred, so must sound a little southern y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    well then they were silly. shania twain is canadian.
    Then that means the southern accent she sings in is fake. You got to love modern country music. HAHA

Daphne Guest
    doooood dont even go there lol!! I know that some people from the east coast have told me we (californians) say 'no' wierd.. of course in my world its perfect, but east coasters say it differently, lie, naaaaooo.. so that is one thing I have heard.

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    I'm from California too and have travelled all over the world (Navy). What people tell me is it is not so much the sound of an accent as it is how fast we talk. I have actually had people ask me to slow down because I was talking to fast. Whenever someone asks me where I am from and I say California they always say "I knew it because you talk so fast".

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Oh, and I do say 'dude' a lot too, but it doesn't seem weird to me. Never noticed the 'no' thing, how exactly is it weird?

Then that means the southern accent she sings in is fake. You got to love modern country music. HAHA
    l'll take your word. l wouldn't be an aficionado.

l'll take your word. l wouldn't be an aficionado.
    either am I

Guest Guest
    I was born in Schenectady New York but moved from there to Washington State when I was 2 years old, my parents had the accent and as I learned to speak I picked it up...even had to do speech therapy when I was a kid because the teachers thought I had an impediment when in fact it was an accent..it still pops out from time to time and I get "are you from the East Coast?" a lot

Nowereman Guest
    [SIZE=+3]AUSSIE [/SIZE][SIZE=+3]ACCENT[/SIZE]

When I lived in California, people always asked me if I was from the South - since I've always had a "drawl". Now I move to Texas, and I fit right in - and I've noticed my "drawl" has become more "pronounced". So, I talk like a hick now - and even more since I work with a guy from Arkansas and a gal raised in Houston - who my boss calls "Huckleberry" - since she's a total hick!

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnitedRedDevil View Post
    Oh, and I do say 'dude' a lot too, but it doesn't seem weird to me. Never noticed the 'no' thing, how exactly is it weird?
    I once dated a girl who said "dude" all the time - she even called other girls "dude" - I drew the line when she'd call me that! It was a hard habit to break for her - altho I think she still says it.

deathybrad Guest
    I only have an accent when I make love. Funny, that's the only time I stutter as well.

MbalmR Guest
    I've always wondered about American news anchors on television. They all sound the same, yet surely they come from many different parts of the country. Do students of journalism have to take speech classes so they all sound the same?

onehunglow Guest

Right on

Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I've always wondered about American news anchors on television. They all sound the same, yet surely they come from many different parts of the country. Do students of journalism have to take speech classes so they all sound the same?

No matter where I am the News anchors have no accent which to me say's midwest. Now that is odd? I never heard someone on the national news sound like they came from Brooklyn.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I have an English accent, obviously. Sheffield to be precise, if you have ever seen The Full Monty, or heard, Sean Bean talk, that is pretty much my accent. If I typed how I talked, none of you would understand what I was saying. We have our own little language here in Sheffield.

Guest Guest
    sweet, you even TYPE "y'all" and "done gone"
    you have an accent.

SHHHHHHHH your not suppose to notice that sort of stuff. LOL

buddyhollylover Guest
    now i'm from milwaukee. i have this weird way of putting things sometimes, kinda like an old polish person. instead of 'you' it's 'yous' and i put 'hey' and 'a-na?' at the end of a sentence for some reason. no accent i think, but i guess someone from another state or country would probably think so lol

ComputerGuy Guest
    A bit of a Southern Drawl, but accent not really

WendyK Guest
    I don't have an accent