Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviation

jaylene Guest
    Oh wow. Thanks. That answered all my questions.

joS3ph Guest
    Himalayan mountains as seen from the first officer's seat.

joS3ph Guest
    Thunderstorm deviation.

joS3ph Guest
    FedEx MD-11F night time HUD (head-up display) view while weaving through some TRWs (TRW is the METAR/TAF abbreviation for "thunderstorm"). For those unfamiliar with the terminology, a METAR is the international standard code format for hourly surface weather observations. TAF is the international standard code format for terminal forecasts issued for airports.

Last edited by joS3ph; 02-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks so much for posting the gorgeous pics, Jo!!! Loved them.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

joS3ph Guest
    Glad you like them Mary.

joS3ph Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    Abandoned Airplanes

When U.S. military airplanes need to be repaired or are just too old to fly, many of them end up in the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center, or AMARC, in Tucson, Arizona. Some of these planes are restored to operational status while others are broken down for parts. Seen from above, the planes make beautiful patterns in blue and white against the earthy brown backdrop.
    Here is an interesting web page about the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center/Group (AMARC/AMARG) at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tuscon, AZ:

http://www.amarcexperience.com/Default.asp
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-19-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Got a question for you JO. I heard that on really long flights they use 2 crews, 1 crew sleeps in a "bedroom setup" in the cockpit area that has bunk beds. How true is that?
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

joS3ph Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    Got a question for you JO. I heard that on really long flights they use 2 crews, 1 crew sleeps in a "bedroom setup" in the cockpit area that has bunk beds. How true is that?
    Jersey:

Some airplanes ARE equipped with what is called an "upper crew rest area." The number of bunks varies by airplane model/manufacturer. The number of crew rest areas also varies, as there may be more than one rest area.

I have uploaded a page from the Boeing 777-200 (777-200ER, -200LR, -300ER) Flight Crew Operating Manual (FCOM) which shows the upper crew rest area for this particular model. The bunks are show on the right in blue. On this particular airplane, the rest area is located above first class.

Typical Boeing 777-200ER Upper Crew Rest Area (bunks are behind the seats):

Boeing 777-200ER bunks (usually situated behind the seats):

Most crew rest areas contain seats, bunks, air conditioning/heating controls, interphone system, and an escape hatch to exit the rest area should something happen.
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-19-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Just wanted to say thanks to JoS3ph for starting this. I would have to say that I'm a born plane hag. I'll be third generation private pilot. Just working up the funds after having a family.

Hey, Jo... what do you think of the ghosts of Eastern 401? Have you ever heard of them? Eastern Airlines flight 401 was a Tri-Star (similar to what Joe flies) which crashed in the Everglades on December 29, 1973. Shortly afterwards, ghosts of the flight crew started showing up on other TriStars which were outfitted with salvaged flight 401 parts. They disappeared after the salvaged parts were removed from other Tri-Stars. Have you heard of this? What do you think?

Pat MaGroin Guest
    So Jos3ph - Boeing or Airbus? Which do you prefer?

joS3ph Guest
    Weird to say the least, but I suppose anything is possible...

Eastern Airlines Flight Engineer Don Repo

Eastern Airlines flight engineer Don Repo was supposedly a "hands-on" type of apparition. He was very concerned with safety. He appeared to a captain and told him there would never be another crash. They wouldn’t let it happen.

A woman was sitting next to an Eastern Airlines pilot who looked ill. She called a stewardess. The man disappeared before her and others. She identified Don Repo from a photograph.

Another woman summoned a stewardess because she was concerned about an unresponsive man in an Eastern Airlines uniform in the seat next to her. The man disappeared in front of both of them and several other passengers. Supposedly, it was Don Repo.

A stewardess saw a man in a flight engineer's uniform fixing an oven. The plane's flight engineer insisted he hadn’t repaired it. When she saw Repo’s picture, she recognized him.

Stewardess Faye Merryweather saw Repo's face looking out at her from an oven in the galley. She fetched two co-workers, one of whom had been a friend of Repo’s. He recognized him. All three heard Repo warn them to watch for fire. Later, the airplane had serious engine problems and the last leg of the flight was canceled. It was learned that the galley had been salvaged from Flight 401.

A flight engineer was mid-way through performing the routine pre-flight inspection when Repo appeared to him and told him he’d already done the job.

Captain Bob Loft's Ghost's Appearances

Loft's ghost was seen on various flights, usually in first class or in the cockpit. He seemed to be content to appear, then vanish.

A stewardess confronted Loft, asking him why he was on the plane. He wasn’t on the passenger list. She reported this to the Captain who walked back with her. He recognized Loft who vanished in front of a dozen witnesses.

A Captain and two flight attendants claimed to have seen and spoken to Loft before take-off and watched him vanish.

One of the vice-presidents of Eastern Airlines spoke to a uniformed captain sitting in first class. Suddenly, he recognized Loft, at which time the apparition vanished.

Flight 401 Ghosts - Final Outcome

Many witnesses were credible. Conclusion was that the apparitions were real. The Federal Aviation Agency had records that fire broke out on the airplane that listed Don Repo.

Eastern Airlines was somewhat skeptical of employees who reported ghostly experiences and suggested they seek psychological counseling at the company's expense. Although the airline refused to cooperate with paranormal investigators, it removed all of the Flight 401 salvaged parts from their aircraft. Repo and Loft were seen no longer.

Cue Twilight Zone intro here!
    Last edited by joS3ph; 02-19-2011 at 04:30 PM.

joS3ph Guest
    Pat, I have never flown an Airbus airplane and therefore, I don't have any Airbus type-ratings. If FedEx decides to buy the Airbus A380-800F, I do intend to enroll in that program so I can receive an A380 type-rating.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joS3ph View Post
    Pat, I have never flown an Airbus airplane and therefore, I don't have any Airbus type-ratings. If FedEx decides to buy the Airbus A380-800F, I do intend to enroll in that program so I can receive an A380 type-rating.
    Ah! OK, thanks!

joS3ph Guest
    The "Box." CAE FedEx MD-11 simulators. These are located in the main training building.

joS3ph Guest
    Coasting into Anchorage, Alaska:

joS3ph Guest
    FedEx Terminal at Memphis.

joS3ph Guest
    An MD-10 gets doused with de-icing fluid on a cold winter night in Indianapolis, IN.

joS3ph Guest
    Time to go to work. Memphis to San Jose. FedEx flight 703.

Last edited by joS3ph; 02-19-2011 at 05:56 PM.

DonnaMc Guest
    It must really be nice to enjoy your work so much. Love the pics!

jaylene Guest
    Be safe. Don't forget about us.

Here is something I think some of you might like. It's a website about old and abandoned airfields. Very interesting info on some airports that no longer exist.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Have a good trip, Joe. That's a 757?

joS3ph Guest
    Thanks Mary, another uneventful trip. Yes, that is a 757-200SF.

Quite a few people have sent me messages wanting to know what the typical flight time is from Memphis, TN to Oakland, CA. Typically, it is less than a five hour flight. The last flight I made to Oakland departed Memphis at 7:49 AM and we arrived at Oakland at 12:17 PM. Our airplane for this flight was a MD-10-30F.
    An MD-10-30?! *drools* I remember flying on those so well between SAN and ORD. I miss those! My dad worked on those for AA. For those of you who don't know me, one of my favorite planes is the old DC-10, now the MD-10 (I believe the -30 is the designation for the ER (extended fuel range models) and has an extra set of main undercarriage gear to accommodate the extra fuel - please correct me if I'm wrong, Joe).

The DC-10's are long gone from AA's fleet; however, there appears to be an old, apparently abandoned DC-10 (stripped of it's painted logos) on the far side of TUL (right between the commercial aviation and the GA (general aviation) side. In fact, today I might drive by and see if it's still there.

I'll kind of introduce myself here, and hopefully you all think it'd be appropriate. I was born into an aviation family: my grandfather flew floatplanes (can't remember which ones) and my dad flew Piper Cubs and had his ATP (airline transport license). I'm from Chicago but grew up in San Diego with it's aviation history. We lived just a few miles from the old Miramar NAS and my heart would race everyone I'd heard some type of military aircraft screaming overheard. I took my first training flight when I was 13 at Ramona (southern California). I did some more work on my certificate when I got out of college and continued with a few breaks until 2007. Hopefully I'll get back into it soon. But for now, I get my fix through flight simulators thanks to my husband's job. However, I don't get to fly them full-motion (something about insurance blah blah blah). *sigh* But it helps for now. I've flown 737's, some single engine planes used for the Greek Air Force.

Hey, has anyone else got the chance to watch "Flying Wild Alaska" on the Discovery Channel? It's about bush flying in Alaska, and the airline is Era Alaska (which had merged recently - don't know the specifics). It's really cool not only about the flying in tight spots, but it does a great job showing the life of the Native Americans and Eskimos. It's on Friday nights at 8PM CST. I've really enjoyed it, and I hate to say it because it's just about replaced "Ghost Hunters" as my favorite program.

joS3ph Guest
    Welcome Aviatrix! Yes, you are correct in regards to the MD-10-30F. The MD-10-30F is a long-range model. It is equipped with General Electric CF6-50 turbofan engines and larger fuel tanks to increase range and fuel efficiency, as well as a set of rear center landing gear to support the increased weight.

STsFirstmate Guest
    The "Box." CAE FedEx MD-11 simulators. These are located in the main training building.

I worked on sensor systems ( orientation sensors) for the company CAE-Link that built many of these simulators. They were bought by Siner of all companies and then in turn by GM Huges Electronics.
    I got to sit in a couple of them. Very cool! I am loving the inside look you are providing of the industry. Thank you!
    regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    I'm from Chicago but grew up in San Diego with it's aviation history. We lived just a few miles from the old Miramar NAS and my heart would race everyone I'd heard some type of military aircraft screaming overheard.
    Did you go to high school in San Diego? I went to Madison HS in Clairemont. I'm old so I remember when Miramar NAS was the only thing for miles around it. Miramar Road was a two-lane, isolated road. I currently live about 4 miles north of Miramar MCAS.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I worked on sensor systems ( orientation sensors) for the company CAE-Link that built many of these simulators. They were bought by Siner of all companies and then in turn by GM Huges Electronics.
    I got to sit in a couple of them. Very cool! I am loving the inside look you are providing of the industry. Thank you!
    regards,
    Mary
    I remember when some airlines (United, for example) would actually allow civilians to purchase time on their simulators. It would usually be in the dead of night since, of course, the pilots got priority. It wasn't cheap, on the order of $1500.00/hour back in the early 90's. I was tempted to fly my dad and I to see what it'd be like to fly a 747, but didn't end up doing it.

This is a photo during my one shot at piloting a plane. I was in the right seat of my client's Beech Bonanza, we were heading to General Dynamics in Scottsdale. He let me fly the plane at cruise altitude for most of the trip. One of my colleagues in the back seat snapped this photo of a C-130 climbing out of Yuma MCAS. I was amazed at the power of the C-130, especially compared to our piddly little single engine plane.

Northern Michigan near Traverse City. The water is (from the bottom up) Torch lake, Traverse Bay East Arm, Travers Bay West Arm, and in the distance Lake Michigan.

Torch lake from the North

I'll see if I can find a few from my night trips to Chicago.
    The cruel, uneventful state
    of apathy releases me
    I value them but I won't cry every time one's wiped out

[IMG][/IMG]

Corn Maze near Charlevoix Michigan.
    of apathy releases me

joS3ph Guest
    Very nice images Barbossa and Lardass. Thanks for sharing.

East Arm, Traverse Bay.
    of apathy releases me

Wow! Great pics!

DonnaMc Guest
    Great Pics. The corn maze was cool!

Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    Here is something I think some of you might like. It's a website about old and abandoned airfields. Very interesting info on some airports that no longer exist.
    Good site mate. There was a series of about five books I read many years ago that was a 'then and now' comparison of airfields from WW2 in England. Interesting stuff.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Have you ever flown into Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) in St. Maarten? St. Maarten was a stop on a Disney Cruise I took, I rented a car and headed to Maho Beach to check out the low flying aircraft. Needless to say, the beach was full of plane geeks.

My favorite place ever!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Have you ever flown into Princess Juliana Airport (SXM) in St. Maarten? St. Maarten was a stop on a Disney Cruise I took, I rented a car and headed to Maho Beach to check out the low flying aircraft. Needless to say, the beach was full of plane geeks.

What a great picture. My absolute favorite plane. Thanks between you and Joe I wish I could take my wife someplace for our 25th wedding anniversary.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    My favorite place ever!!!
    Miho at Maho. I like it!

Here's a photo I took when I visited Maho Beach. Turquoise blue water, white sand beach, and low flying aircraft. What more could you want? Topless women? They've got that too!

Last edited by Barbossa; 02-21-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    What a great picture. My absolute favorite plane. Thanks between you and Joe I wish I could take my wife someplace for our 25th wedding anniversary.
    I hope your wish comes true, Jersey.

Miho at Maho. I like it!

Here's a photo I took when I visited Maho Beach. Turquoise blue water, white sand beach, and low flying aircraft. What more could you want? Topless women? They've got that too!

This place is on my bucket list....and I wouldn't have to go any place else on that vacation. Could sit there the whole time and watch the planes...and drink....and ride the fence....

Thanks Jos3ph for starting this thread..I love to fly, and those pictures taken from the cockpit are outstanding....
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

I also have a question for you, since I was reading the 9/11 thread earlier...

Were you in the air at the time of the attacks, or were scheduled to fly that day?? I would like to hear your stories...
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

The St. Maartin's runway would make me pee my pants if I were a passenger on a plane or on the beach below.

Just curious as to what other runways are scary or difficult to land at. My Mom had told me that the then Harry S. Truman Airport on St. Thomas was very dangerous and difficult to land and take off at, and every time I went to St. Thomas I would have a semi- panic attack on my way in or out. I understand that a new airport has replaced it but I have never been to St. Thomas since. Is the new airport significantly better, and if so why?

I also remember that landing at the Hong Kong airport freaked me out. It seemed like we were dangerously close to skyscrapers on either side and that the plane would seem to drop almost vertically in the 30 seconds before we landed. Do you know if that was actually true or if it just felt that way?

Thanks, this is a great thread!
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    I also remember that landing at the Hong Kong airport freaked me out. It seemed like we were dangerously close to skyscrapers on either side and that the plane would seem to drop almost vertically in the 30 seconds before we landed. Do you know if that was actually true or if it just felt that way?
    For your viewing pleasure, the joy of landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak airport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PCOcyt7BPI

DonnaMc Guest

Wow! I'd be scared to death!

FYI, Hong Kong's Kai Tak airport closed in 1998. The new airport is Chek Lap Kok. I flew there once, connecting on the way to Osaka from Tel Aviv. Huge airport.

Wow, that took my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Wow, that took my breath.
    Yeah, me too. I loved the music. And I thought the planes coming into MSP over the freeway I take home were freaky. I live near the airport and the road I take home is right near the north/west side of the airport, so the planes are just about to land.

FYI, Hong Kong's Kai Tak airport closed in 1998. The new airport is Chek Lap Kok. I flew there once, connecting on the way to Osaka from Tel Aviv. Huge airport.
    Interesting. I will have to look these two up. I want to travel to Asia some day.

Why were almost all those planes landing in a crosswind I wonder.