Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comedian Greg Giraldo OD's

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Thanks for the interesting insight.
    Thanks, I really appreciate your comment.

Of course, we will never know what his intentions were. But if he did decide to commit suicide, it was only done to end the horrible pain that he was in and felt in his own mind that it was the only way out. In my own sick mind, I felt that I meant nothing to anyone, that I really wasn't a good wife and mother anyway, that my family would be better off without me, and that it would be no big deal if I died. That's what depression and drugs to your logic process. I am so glad I got my own little "It's a Wonderful Life" moment when my husband and kids thought I had died.

May God have mercy on Greg and all of the other folks out there who struggle daily with depression, pain, addiction and the doing their best to cope with it.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Thanks, I really appreciate your comment.

Of course, we will never know what his intentions were. But if he did decide to commit suicide, it was only done to end the horrible pain that he was in and felt in his own mind that it was the only way out. In my own sick mind, I felt that I meant nothing to anyone, that I really wasn't a good wife and mother anyway, that my family would be better off without me, and that it would be no big deal if I died. That's what depression and drugs to your logic process. I am so glad I got my own little "It's a Wonderful Life" moment when my husband and kids thought I had died.

May God have mercy on Greg and all of the other folks out there who struggle daily with depression, pain, addiction and the doing their best to cope with it.
    Having thought about it a little more the past few days, I do remember that Heath Ledger and a couple of others had shopped around for doctors. The thrust of my argument being that one doctor is prescribing drugs in total ignorance of what another doctor had prescribed previously, creating a cocktail of drugs that the person in particular may not know is lethal if mixed in a certain way.

In respect to pain, I don't know what that is. Sure, I have wrenched a knee, torn a cartilage and broken the odd bone in the hand or dislocated a finger playing football. But if I try to remember it, I only recall that at the time it was painful. I have no real recollection, I guess the brain blocks it out. I do remember reading about actors etc that are in total pain all the time and the abuse of prescription drugs to ease their pain. But I have no reference.

My best friend died five years ago from cancer at 39 years of age. I have spoken about it here before and I am ok with it, I have grieved and whenever his name is mentioned I smile and not become morose. In fact I go on to tell about some of the crazy things we got up to (and they were crazy). When he got to a stage, near the end, when he was confined to a wheelchair, I asked him about it. I told him I read about cancer patients who were in constant pain and asked him to tell me what it is. He said that your nervous system has billions of nerve endings throughout your body, many ending in the dermis. Imagine every one of them on fire, like billions of microscopic needles of acid just under the skin, simmering away. The slightest touch releases the acid and it burns like nothing you have ever felt.

You know, he left hospital in Perth, Western Australia and flew back here to Singapore. They told him there was nothing more they could do for him. He was given industrial quantities of morphine to manage his pain. I believe they gave him extra in case he wanted to O.D. He never did. We gathered around his bed at his house on a Friday evening. All the lads were there, the drinking and golf buddies. We went over it all, all the stories and antics. There were 30+ in that room. Jesus I gave him some stick, I was the partner in crime for a long time. Next lunchtime, he was in bed watching football and started coughing, he coughed so hard until he arrested.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Having thought about it a little more the past few days, I do remember that Heath Ledger and a couple of others had shopped around for doctors. The thrust of my argument being that one doctor is prescribing drugs in total ignorance of what another doctor had prescribed previously, creating a cocktail of drugs that the person in particular may not know is lethal if mixed in a certain way.

In respect to pain, I don't know what that is. Sure, I have wrenched a knee, torn a cartilage and broken the odd bone in the hand or dislocated a finger playing football. But if I try to remember it, I only recall that at the time it was painful. I have no real recollection, I guess the brain blocks it out. I do remember reading about actors etc that are in total pain all the time and the abuse of prescription drugs to ease their pain. But I have no reference.

My best friend died five years ago from cancer at 39 years of age. I have spoken about it here before and I am ok with it, I have grieved and whenever his name is mentioned I smile and not become morose. In fact I go on to tell about some of the crazy things we got up to (and they were crazy). When he got to a stage, near the end, when he was confined to a wheelchair, I asked him about it. I told him I read about cancer patients who were in constant pain and asked him to tell me what it is. He said that your nervous system has billions of nerve endings throughout your body, many ending in the dermis. Imagine every one of them on fire, like billions of microscopic needles of acid just under the skin, simmering away. The slightest touch releases the acid and it burns like nothing you have ever felt.

You know, he left hospital in Perth, Western Australia and flew back here to Singapore. They told him there was nothing more they could do for him. He was given industrial quantities of morphine to manage his pain. I believe they gave him extra in case he wanted to O.D. He never did. We gathered around his bed at his house on a Friday evening. All the lads were there, the drinking and golf buddies. We went over it all, all the stories and antics. There were 30+ in that room. Jesus I gave him some stick, I was the partner in crime for a long time. Next lunchtime, he was in bed watching football and started coughing, he coughed so hard until he arrested.
    Yes, your friend describes the pain very well. God bless you Neil, you sound like you were an awesome and loyal friend to your buddy.

Deathgoddess Guest
    For some reason I never commented on this when he passed away. I told my husband he was going to die just a few months before he actually died, he looked unhappy and depressed and just not right.

I remember watching his last season on Last comic standing and he just seemed like he was out of touch with reality. What makes me really sad is I saw that from my living room, I wonder what his friends and family were thinking? It seems like they would have seen how out of whack he was mentally and taken steps to get him some help. I imagine they did, I know you can't help someone unless they are ready to help themselves. He was so funny, so sad he left behind two children too.

Probably one of the most difficult of personalities to comprehend is the life of a comedian. The old addage of "Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside" seems to ring true to this day. Lenny Bruce, John Belushi, Chris Farley, and not too long ago, Richard Jeni. Maybe it just goes back to the old saying, that the 2 things in life that are the hardest to accept are: failure... AND success!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Probably one of the most difficult of personalities to comprehend is the life of a comedian. The old addage of "Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside" seems to ring true to this day. Lenny Bruce, John Belushi, Chris Farley, and not too long ago, Richard Jeni. Maybe it just goes back to the old saying, that the 2 things in life that are the hardest to accept are: failure... AND success!
    Yes! There's an old saying in 12-Step programs that the worst thing that can happen to an alcoholic/addict is success. I know for me that is very true. In my mind, I think I am the lowest life form on earth, and when I become successful it's only because I have fooled people or just got lucky. I know how to handle failure, but success scares the hell out of me.

Final Intervention

Wow, just listened to this and what happened with Greg is kind of depressing.
    Even the title of this thread is depressing in the afterglow of the radio show!
    I mean, it's what happened, but dang, "drum are bad m'kay?"

Episode #85 of the old Opie & Anthony radio show is called, Greg Giraldo's "final intervention".

In it, his good friends the late, great Patrice O'Neal, always awesome Jim "Jimmy" Norton, a hilarious Jay Mohr and O&A talk frankly to Greg about his relapses and his addiction. Bill Burr and a lot of other people knew and loved Greg. And they saw what he was doing to himself. I mean, he talked about what he was doing to himself pretty often and openly.
    And they really wanted him to stop.

But, it's all you can do to be there, till the person helps themselves. And alcohol and drug abuse ends 1 of 3 ways; hospital, jail or death.

There's legit a clip of Greg in the documentary on him where he says "...2 out of 3 usually happen".

Over the course of about 45 minutes his friends share their own stories, offer support, ask real questions, etc. It's a radio show, so people call in too and do the same.

This is some of the best content on Greg's struggles with sobriety, his actual level of use and his reasons for using, from GREG'S own mouth!
    It's very real, really sad and very honest.

A good listen for anyone really; the guys touch on some hard truths and also do it with some hard humour.

You can find the whole episode here:

https://youtu.be/ypz3-LHUX_A

"There's hope everybody"