Thread: Nancy Campbell-Panitz: Jerry Springer murder

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest

Nancy Campbell-Panitz: Jerry Springer murder

Saw this on "Prison Wives" a while back and did some more research. I've always wondered if those people who go on "Springer" are real and what happens to them. Yikes!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in504734.shtml

http://www.fansoffieger.com/panitz.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2121700.stm

http://www.people.com/people/archive...132040,00.html

The segment of the Jerry Springer Show was no more bizarre or tawdry than usual. Taped in May and aired on July 24, the program, titled "Secret Mistresses Confronted," featured a man named Ralf Panitz, 40, and his girlfriend and now freshly minted bride, Eleanor, 45, taunting his ex-wife Nancy Campbell-Panitz, 52. Within hours of the broadcast, however, the merely tasteless had taken a sickening, tragic turn when Nancy was found beaten to death in her home in Sarasota, Fla.

With the arrest of Ralf Panitz a few days later on a charge of murder, tabloid television was once again being scrutinized under an unwelcome spotlight. There were immediate comparisons to the case five years ago when a guest on The Jenny Jones Show killed another man who appeared on the program professing to have a crush on him. But it is still far from clear that blame for the murder of Nancy Campbell-Panitz can be attributed to her appearance on the Springer program. Indeed, police downplay any possible link. "I don't believe it plays a part," said Chuck Lesaltato, spokesman for the Sarasota County sheriff's department. "The only thing the show does is show there was a problem between the three."

In fact, perhaps the most shocking aspect of the case is that the full story of the relationship between Ralf, Nancy and Eleanor was even stranger than it appeared to be on television. Born and raised in rural Plainwell, Mich., Nancy, a factory worker, had been married before and had two sonsā??Gary, now 30, and Jeff Campbell, 28. "She really watched out for us," recalls Jeff. "She was real protective." Ralf, meanwhile, was a native of Germany with two teenage children. The couple met through an online chatroom in 1996. Roughly a year later he arrived in this country, married Nancy and began to work as a painter and carpenter. In 1998 they moved to Florida, renting a small two-bedroom apartment near Sarasota. From the start, say neighbors, it was clear the Panitzes had a stormy relationship, one that required numerous visits from the police to quell noisy domestic disputes. "It was exhausting," says the couple's apartment manager Jay Cole. "The cops were here all the time."

By the beginning of 1999 Nancy had moved out. Her divorce from Ralf became final in February. Sometime that winter Ralf took up with Eleanor Marie Isaac, a married newspaper carrier in Sarasota whom he had also met online. On her Web site, Eleanor describes herself as a Micmac Indian, a Canadian tribe, as well as a follower of Wicca, a faith based on witchcraft. In March, less than a week after she secured a divorce from her husband, Eleanor and Ralf were secretly married.

In retrospect, the Springer show offered only a grainy snapshot of three lives in turmoil. For her part, Nancy was yearning for a reconciliation with Ralf. On numerous occasions over the previous months she had e-mailed him, proclaiming her desire to get back together. "I want you. I will never stop loving you," she wrote to him last August. But during the show everything went sour. A smug Ralf and Eleanor hurled insults at her and announced they had married. "He doesn't want you, Nancy," Eleanor gloated. "You're old. You're fat." Humiliated, Nancy walked off the set.

But not out of Ralf and Eleanor's life. In June, after the taping of the show but prior to its airdate, Ralf and Eleanor suddenly separated. The next day, Eleanor asked for a court injunction against her husband, alleging domestic violence. But the following day they reconciled. Things took a stranger turn on June 18, when Ralf and Nancy bought a house together on Grand Cayman Street in Sarasota for nearly $116,000. Nancy put up the down payment. A few days later Ralf filed for divorce from Eleanor, possibly, according to one source, because Eleanor would not sign papers he needed to stay in the United States.

It is uncertain exactly what happened next, but it appears that Eleanor moved in and Nancy moved out. Staying with an aunt and uncle on the east coast of Florida, Nancy then got a job as a legal assistant. She also contacted attorney Lisa Kleinberg and asked for help in filing suit to get Ralf and Eleanor out of her home. Everything came to a head on July 24. That morning, with Ralf and Eleanor present, Nancy testified in court that on July 10 Ralf had threatened to kill her. "He had chased me with a knife and made threats about taking my life," she said, "[and] the way he was going to torture me." She also discussed her motives for going on the Springer show. She said Ralf had contacted her in March and said he had been deported and that the show would pay for his ticket back to the U.S. He also talked about remarrying her. "And so I went on the show to show him how much I loved him," she testified. But now, she said, she wanted to be rid of him. "I want to be able to have a fresh start and go forward with my life."

When the judge agreed to give Nancy temporary ownership of the house, Eleanor, especially, reacted angrily, screaming that she would not leave the Grand Cayman address. According to Kleinberg, bailiffs had to remove Ralf and Eleanor from the courtroom. "They were concerned about Nancy's safety," says Kleinberg. By sheer coincidence the Springer segment aired that afternoon, but Nancy did not watch it. At 5:30 that evening, after all the necessary legal papers had been served, Nancy headed for the house, accompanied by a sheriff's deputy. According to a police affidavit, she encountered Eleanor and a nephew of Ralf's, who then left the premises. At 6 p.m. a neighbor heard a man and woman shouting inside the house. A half hour later a witness reported seeing Eleanor standing outside shouting, "Ralf, please don't do this." At 7:30 Nancy's bloody body was found inside by the nephew, who had returned.

Four days later Ralf and Eleanor turned themselves in to authorities in Sarasota. Ralf is currently being held without bail, charged with first-degree murder, while Eleanor is out on $25,000 bond as a material witness. In the aftermath of the crime, Springer's supporters tried to wash their hands of the whole mess. The show's creator and former executive producer Burt Dubrow acknowledges that the program thrives on presenting intense situations. "You need emotion, you need passion," he says, because without them "nobody would watch." But, he insists, "nobody is looking for a guest who is psychologically unstable."

As for Springer himself, the normally swaggering ringmaster who seems to take such on-air delight in goading his guests meekly told a Sarasota television reporter, "It's my name on the show, but what do I know about it? It sounds awful, but I don't know the people. I show up and I do the show. I have no idea who they are."

Well, I guess at least some of the stuff on that show must be true then...scary thought. That's sad.

Nice post.
    What a fucking rat's nest of a relationship though. That Ralf character sounds like he was a disaster waiting to happen...

Dang! And I thought they were all actors! I guess there are people out there stupid enough to be in the show.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

stacebabe Guest
    I think what surprises me the most is that some of what's on his show is true nowadays. I thought they were all famewhore fakes by now.

hotmama Guest
    i read this in the people magazine and saw the tail end of their appearence on springer.. he was just ANGRY because she got the house and he did not.. he moved his lady friend in and his wife was not having it so she took care of it legally.. on the show they made it seem like she was bothering her husband and his new bitch.. that was not the case.. they were fucking with her.. the wife was very docile.. they were all up in her face talking shit.. she finally walked off after all that abuse.. then the husband went to the house with his bitch and beat her to death.. the new ho claimed she was trying to stop him.. yeah right.. she was in on it too. they enjoyed bullying that lady..

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    The fact that the new wife ended up on "Prison Wives" blows my mind. I agree that she was in on it.

We have a friend that was actually on the show. He told us that at least one story on every show is true and that the rest, they don't care. Apparently, you sign a contract saying that the story is true, and if they find out its not, they can nail you for production costs- but its not like they go fact checking or anything.

They called him a few months after his appearance and asked if he wanted to go on again, but he couldn't find anyone to go with him.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    We have a friend that was actually on the show. He told us that at least one story on every show is true and that the rest, they don't care. Apparently, you sign a contract saying that the story is true, and if they find out its not, they can nail you for production costs- but its not like they go fact checking or anything.

They called him a few months after his appearance and asked if he wanted to go on again, but he couldn't find anyone to go with him.
    Was your friend's story real? I've always wondered about these things. When I was in college, some drama majors got onto "Rikki Lake". I don't if they just made up their story or if the producers were actively casting actors.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    i read this in the people magazine and saw the tail end of their appearence on springer.. he was just ANGRY because she got the house and he did not.. he moved his lady friend in and his wife was not having it so she took care of it legally.. on the show they made it seem like she was bothering her husband and his new bitch.. that was not the case.. they were fucking with her.. the wife was very docile.. they were all up in her face talking shit.. she finally walked off after all that abuse.. then the husband went to the house with his bitch and beat her to death.. the new ho claimed she was trying to stop him.. yeah right.. she was in on it too. they enjoyed bullying that lady..
    See, now this just pisses me off. Although, she should have known something was up when she agreed to go on Jerry Springer. But she's just trying to do right, and they messed with her. Grrrrrr!!!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by AFoolandHisMonkey View Post
    Was your friend's story real? I've always wondered about these things. When I was in college, some drama majors got onto "Rikki Lake". I don't if they just made up their story or if the producers were actively casting actors.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that part. No, his story wasn't real. Him and his friends wanted to go see the show, but there was a year and a half waiting list for tickets, so they made up the story and got on the show in a few months. (At least, I'm pretty sure it was not true- he's kind of weird).
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXFCI...eature=related

I don't care what ANYONE says, NO ONE will ever convince me this is real!

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXFCI...eature=related

I don't care what ANYONE says, NO ONE will ever convince me this is real!
    OMG. I couldn't even finish watching that because the guy with only half a body freaked me out.

I always thought it was actors on that show too. I think its even more terrifying to think that there really are that many dysfunctional people in this world. Where does Jerry Springer find them?
    Last edited by Frazzzld Kat; 07-31-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Kimmell Guest
    I worked at the bank with a woman who sent in her vhs tape to the Springer Show, showing that she, her boyfriend, and his ex were willing to tell their story of how she caught her boyfriend (was to marry him in just weeks) having sex in another room at the funeral home of her mother's funeral.
    This segment was awful.
    None of these people showed any respect for the dead woman or her family.
    All three would fight on stage, calling each other names, and the ex even degraded the dead woman.
    The local paper ran a story saying the husband of the woman who died filed a huge lawsuit on the three on the show, and the Springer Show for slander, and using his wife's name and the name of the funeral home on the show.
    I did ask Lisa what became of the lawsuit, and she says when she was contacted by the staff on the show, she would be paid $1,000.00 for appearing, and the staff asked her and the others to make and cause as much scene as possible to get the ratings up.
    She said she met with her father-n-law, but he wants to see the contract where it says to slander, and cause pain to hurt others.
    Not sure what became of the lawsuit.
    Of course that would be hush, hush.