Thread: Tony Curtis

Tony Curtis

Family members have been gathering as film star Tony Curtis battles his latest medical crisis at a Henderson hospital. This is coming from Norm Clarke who is a Las Vegas Columnist.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?bl...69411222340054
    Last edited by coconn04; 07-13-2010 at 06:56 AM.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Snoopy Guest
    Hmm I believe he's on my list..hope it's not too serious.

Elizabeth Guest
    I don't see any article on this......is Tony *that* ill???

Surprised he got this far.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Sam Guest
    I liked him at one time, but after reading his auto biography where all he could talk about was all the women he screwed while he was married, I now feel differently.
    He was a handsome SOB in his day!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    I don't see any article on this......is Tony *that* ill???
    This in not out on the wire yet. Tony Lives near Las Vegas and, the source, Norm is a journalist with the Las Vegas Review Journal.
    Tony had Pneumonia in 2008 and went into a coma for a few days. He has also had several operations. He has also been in a wheelchair.

I was in New York City for the Veterans Day Parade last year when Tony was the Grand Marshall. They had to put a picture of what he used to look like on his car so you would know who he was.

I guess I got my chance to smile and wave and he did the same back to me.
    Well, whatever, I made my peace.
    I would like to thank Tony for supporting our men and women in the forces.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

I never understand his colossal appeal but what it is they say
    "anyone who lives long enough gets respect even whores......."

I did meet him once; He was gracious, shook my hand and signed a poster that I had purchased of a copy of one of his paintings. I had waited outside of a theater where I'd just watched him perform in the musical version of SOME LIKE IT HOT (AKA SUGAR). There was about a dozen of us waiting. LARRY STORCH came out first and stood off to the side. I went over and talked to him. He was surprised that I recalled as much about him as I did and I told him that my favorite part of his was in THE GREAT RACE as Texas Jack and that I liked him as 'the Swede' on an episode of THE NIGHT STALKER and had hoped that they'd turned that character into a semi-regular but hadn't. STORCH & CURTIS had met when both were stationed on the same sub during WWII and stayed friends. CURTIS came out about 15 minutes later. As I wrote above he was very accomodating & signed autographs, smiled at well wishers. I waited til they were all done and then approached him. He wanted to know the origin of my name, signed my poster and got into the limousine that was waiting for him. STORCH and the others left in a jitney bus.

such a subtle guy
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    He was a handsome SOB in his day!
    Yes he was!

Elizabeth Guest
    *crickets chirping*

Nothing on the wire yet.....he was really honestly one of the hottest stars back in the day, but I wouldn't call him a legend by any stretch--I didn't find him to be particularly talented.....he most certainly was not the best of fathers (according to Jamie Lee, anyway)......

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    *crickets chirping*

Nothing on the wire yet.....he was really honestly one of the hottest stars back in the day, but I wouldn't call him a legend by any stretch--I didn't find him to be particularly talented.....he most certainly was not the best of fathers (according to Jamie Lee, anyway)......
    Unfortunately for both CURTIS as well as EDDIE FISHER a daughter of each became famous in their own right and rather vocal about their respective father's lack of being there, paying support & just being a heel in general.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    Unfortunately for both CURTIS as well as EDDIE FISHER a daughter of each became famous in their own right and rather vocal about their respective father's lack of being there, paying support & just being a heel in general.
    Oddly enough, the day I saw Tony Curtis was the same day I went to see Carrie Fisher in the her 'one -woman show on Broadway".

Anyway, Tony was the husband number 3 to Janet Leigh while this was his first wife. Janet was an alcoholic. Tony was the breadwinner in the relationship and Janet did not get stiffed. Janet 4th marriage went well. Jamie Lee wrote in MORE magazine that she just belong to the generation of children that had issues with her parents.

Tony's mother was mentally ill. Tony's brother died in childhood and Tony brother was also mentally ill. and later on he had to institutionalize him.
    He didn't come from the best of circumstances.

Also about Carrie Fisher, she did rag on in the play about her parents. Carrie is bi-polar as we all know and she named her play,' Wishful Drinking".
    Carrie invites her mother to the show. Carrie says she does live next door to her mother. Carrie admits in articles that she does call her father every day.
    I got a chance to meet Carrie later on.

No matter what these people say in public. People like Carrie and Jamie Lee had a leg up in show business. They had access to connections the average person doesn't.

I also saw Carrie's half sister( Joely Fisher) in the same Theater (which by the way in the old Studio 54th) a few years ago when she was in Cabaret. Under her Bio in the Playbill she wrote,
    "Thank you Dad for the Pipes".

Edna St. Vincent Millay

I did find an actual news story that gave more information. Tony has COPD.
    COPD (chronic obstructive pulmanary disease) is also known as emphysema.
    You don't get better, only worse. And then you die, by suffication.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/12/tony-c...#ixzz0teWS9O2z

TMZ reports that screen legend Tony Curtis has been taken to a Nevada hospital after suffering from breathing problems while exhibiting his new artwork products at a local Costco.

The 85-year-old Curtis, who suffers from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, is reportedly in stable condition while doctors continue tests, but the Some Like it Hot star may be released soon. Get better, Tony!

Edna St. Vincent Millay

That guy always gave me the creeps.

Nicki Guest
    Sounds serious. Eventually it all comes to an end and sounds like his is near.

He had six children. One son Nicholas, from I think his wife Leslie, died from an overdose of Herioin

Jill Vandenberg Curtis(6 November 1998 - present)Lisa Deutsch(28 February 1993 - 1994) (divorced)Andrea Savio(1984 - 1992) (divorced)Leslie Curtis(20 April 1968 - 1982) (divorced) 2 childrenChristine Kaufmann(8 February 1963 - 1967) (divorced) 2 childrenJanet Leigh(4 June 1951 - June 1962) (divorced) 2 children

His bio says he also has two adopted sons?

Interesting Jill and Tony You Tube Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmaafRRFGso

Last edited by Nicki; 07-14-2010 at 03:51 PM.

An update from Norm Clarke

Film legend Tony Curtis is recovering from another health scare that sent him to a hospital for the third time in 11 months.

An asthmalike attack sent Curtis, 85, to the ICU at St. Rose Dominican Hospital, Siena campus, last Thursday with another bout of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), according to a spokesman.

"He's fine, he's resting and will probably be out of the hospital by the end of this week," the source said.

It's the latest medical comeback in recent years for Curtis, who was nominated for an Academy Award in 1958 for best actor for "The Defiant Ones," which co-starred Sidney Poitier.

"He's got more fight in him than anybody I've ever seen," said the family spokesman.

Curtis went into a coma for several days during a lengthy hospital stay for pneumonia in December 2006. "I had to learn how to walk all over again," he told me in a recent interview.

Last August he had another COPD episode, which was much scarier than this one, the source said. He was hospitalized in New York earlier this year.

Curtis, who appeared in more than 100 films, including the classic "Some Like It Hot," told me in April that he's still got the acting bug and was offered a part in a vampire movie.
    http://www.lvrj.com/news/tony-curtis...-98397804.html

There was a comment left by someone who was at the Costco when this happened.

I had the thrill of meeting him last wednesday at costco and he so graciously autographed his book for me. sadly, our two photos did not process that day. please let him know it was a memorable moment and i have put the autographed novel next to “betty boop” in anticipation of obtaining a future photograph.
    from another anthem neighbor . . . be blessed

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Well, the old tart is 85, so he must be due to drop off soon. Death pool selection update anyone? If he sees out the year he goes to the top of my 2011 list, with a bullet!!!!!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I've always loved him, jackassery aside. I can wish him only the best.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Just seen him a few weeks ago on the Morning talk
    show: Today, where he was talking about his book.

He looked kind of good, but he had a big Cowboy
    hat on maybe trying to not show his balding head.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

STsFirstmate Guest
    He was certainly in some great movies, the Defiant Ones, Some Like it Hot and my personal favorite The Sweet Smell of Sucess.
    He and Janet Leigh one of the hot couples of the era. It was them and Sandra Dee an Bobby Darin and Steve McQueen and first his wife Edie and then Ali McGraw. My Mom bought Modern Screen and Photoplay and all those magazines when I was a kid.
    He wasn't Olivier but he was handsome and when he wanted to be compelling.
    Regards,
    Mary

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    He was certainly in some great movies, the Defiant Ones, Some Like it Hot and my personal favorite The Sweet Smell of Sucess.
    He and Janet Leigh one of the hot couples of the era. It was them and Sandra Dee an Bobby Darin and Steve McQueen and first his wife Edie and then Ali McGraw. My Mom bought Modern Screen and Photoplay and all those magazines when I was a kid.
    He wasn't Olivier but he was handsome and when he wanted to be compelling.
    Regards,
    Mary

Your mom, too? I always say that's how I learned to read !

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I never thought a lot about him, but his Marilyn stories got on my nerves. I think he didn't like her at all which was enitirely his prerogative, but when the whole Marilyn legend thing came up he turned everything around claiming he never said certain things about her that were bad. He then claimed they were secret lovers and painted pictures of her and eventually wrote about it in his book. It's as if he didn't even think that he would be caught our right lying. Marilyn's niece, Mona said in so many words that he was full of it. He reminds me of Mickey Rooney in Marilyn's case.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    Your mom, too? I always say that's how I learned to read !
    LOL I wish I still had some of them especially from the Liz Taylor, Eddie Fisher, Richard Burton Cleopatra days and all the Steve McQueen ones as well.
    Rock Hudson lamenting his bachelor status. Doris Day being brave when her huband left her in debt and the same for Debbie reynolds when her husband the shoe tycoon (Harry Karl I think) died died after spending all her money.
    The triangles true or not made for great storytelling.
    I remember the FRank and Mia Farrow ones as well. Talk about cradle robbing! Tony and Janet made for great photo spreads with their kids.
    Regards,
    Mary

Elizabeth Guest
    He always had a sleazy air about him to me......just because he is old doesn't mean I will become a big fan.....and like Ethel Mertz's post it is amazing how his Marilyn stories change over time.....next he will tell us how he and Lindsay Lohan have secretly been lovers for a long time and....

AnnaD Guest
    Wow I hadn't even head he was sick! I feel the same way about Mr Curtis as I do about Sean Connery - Seems like if you knew them in their personal lives they were douchey (to say the least) and misogynistic (which may be a compliment to both of them) but you could understand why people would admire them on them big screen. Charisma in both cases and talent - if only in one

monroe62 Guest
    His art show was at Costco?

I made some comments many moons ago on a Marilyn forum insulting Mr. Curtis' appearance on the Robert Osborne TCM show and received an email from his wife. I clarified my statement and apologized for offending her. Day or two later, received one from Tony telling me I was an alright, upstanding guy.

Still think he's a putz.

I could imagine that the reason that Tony has COPD is because he was once a heavy smoker.

I found this nice story on the web about Tony Curtis and Roger Moore.

Former THE PERSUADERS! co-stars SIR ROGER MOORE and TONY CURTIS urged movie fans to give up smoking during their appearance at last night's (13MAR06) Empire film awards.

Former JAMES BOND actor star Moore, insists he owes his life to Curtis, who encouraged him to follow his example and kick the deadly habit in the seventies. Moore, 78, says, "When we began shooting Tony gave me a book on how to stop smoking. "I didn't read it. I just looked at the picture on the back of an X-ray of a lung with a red spot on it. The red spot was cancer.

"The next day I coughed up blood while smoking a cigarette, and I haven't smoked since." Curtis adds, "That was 35 years ago and we wouldn't be here now if one of us was a smoker."
    Comments on this article:

Kudo's !!!
    Written on 31/03/06 at 15:41:00 GMT by Dee

I am so happy to hear that Sir Roger and Tony were urging people to not smoke and give it up if they are smokers.

I have COPD (emphysema) due to being raised in a smoking enviroment. I also lost both parents to smoking related illness' by the time I was 30 years old. My mother to small cell lung cancer at the age of 54 and my father to emphysema and lung cancer.

I was age 39 when I was diagnosed with COPD. I have NEVER smoked! Both of my brother's have smoked since their teens. One brother had the early stages of emphysema at the age of 28. Smoking is BAD!!! I wish I could shout it to the world. I know there are many things that are hazardous to our health and many things we should steer clear of. However, smoking is such an obvious hazard. I am so proud of Sir Roger and Tony for getting this message out.

They know Hollywood has glamorized this terrible habit far too long. I know Carol Burnett would agree having lost her 38 year old daughter, Carrie Hamilton, to lung cancer. As would Dana Reeve's son, Will and Peter Jennings' family.

This is from Roger Moore's website..

I've seen Tony many times since we made the Persuaders (mainly in LA) and have been there to help him through divorces and health scares. In fact he says I saved his life when I referred him to a cardiologist after he suffered chest pains in the 90s.

When they asked if I'd consider presenting him with the Empire Lifetime Achievement award, I didn't hesitate. I've always been a fan of Tony's and the fact that we became friends meant a lot to me. I was so pleased to be there to see him again, and his lovely wife Jill. He hasn't changed one bit.

It was good to catch up on old times, and I know Tony was really overwhelmed to receive the award. When I get old enough to get one, perhaps he'll return the favour!.

http://www.roger-moore.com/sirrogermoore/march6.htm

Edna St. Vincent Millay

heat123 Guest
    I have Tony Curtis and Zsa Zsa Gabor on my list.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heat123 View Post
    I have Tony Curtis and Zsa Zsa Gabor on my list.

I have to say those two are an excellent choice.
    I think Tony use to have alot of nip and tucks with plastic surgery. Apparently those have completely slipped these past couple of years.