Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malcolm McLaren

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest

Malcolm McLaren

Malcolm Robert Andrew McLaren (22 January 1946 – 8 April 2010) was an English performer, impresario, self-publicist and most famously, former manager of the Sex Pistols and the New York Dolls.

McLaren was born to Pete McLaren and Emmy Isaacs in the suburbs of post-World War II London. His father left when he was two and he was raised by his grandmother, Rose Corre Isaacs, in Stoke Newington.

He had been attracted to the Situationist movement, which promoted absurdist and provocative actions as a way of enacting social change. In 1968 McLaren had tried unsuccessfully to travel to Paris to take part in the demonstrations there. McLaren would later adopt the movement's ideas into his promotion for the various pop and rock groups with whom he was soon to involve himself.

In 1971, McLaren and his partner, the designer Vivienne Westwood, opened a London clothing shop called Let It Rock on the Kings Road. The shop sold Teddy Boy clothes and McLaren and Westwood also designed clothing for theatrical and cinematic productions such as That'll Be The Day and Mahler. Let It Rock proved a success but McLaren grew disillusioned with the style of shop due to problems with the Teddy Boys who were the shop's main customers.

McLaren traveled to New York City for a boutique fair in 1972 having already met the group the New York Dolls. That year he renamed the outlet at 430 Kings Road Too Fast To Live Too Young To Die and supplied the group with stagewear. In 1975 McLaren designed red leather costumes for the New York Dolls and used a Soviet-style hammer and sickle motif for their stage show as a provocative means of promoting them. This ploy was not successful and the Dolls soon broke up. However, it was while he was managing the Dolls that he first saw the Neon Boys perform.[citation needed] The Neon Boys included Tom Verlaine and Richard Hell, who were later to form Television. In April 1975 McLaren returned to Britain, by which time he had renamed the store SEX, selling S&M (sadomasochistic) style clothing.

By 1975 McLaren had started to manage The Strand, the band who would later become the Sex Pistols. His assistant, Bernie Rhodes (soon to be manager of The Clash), spotted Johnny Rotten who was then sporting green hair, and torn clothes with the words "I hate" scribbled on his Pink Floyd shirt. His appearance and attitude impressed McLaren and Rotten was brought in to audition as a new frontman. Rotten joined, and the band was renamed The Sex Pistols (McLaren stating he wanted them to sound like "sexy young assassins").[citation needed]

In May 1977 the band released God Save the Queen during the week of Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee. McLaren organised a boat trip down the Thames where the Sex Pistols would perform their music outside Houses of Parliament. The boat was raided by the police and McLaren was arrested, thus achieving his goal to attain publicity.

The band released their album Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols in October 1977 and played their last UK gig before embarking upon an American tour in January 1978. This tour saw the band split up after a series of arguments.[citation needed] During his time managing the band McLaren was accused by band members (most notably by John Lydon) of mismanaging them and refusing to pay them when asked for money. McLaren has stated that he had planned out the entire path of the Sex Pistols and in the film, The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle he set this plan out. The film was allegedly criticised for being too skewed towards McLaren and for being a launchpad for McLaren's future career in music as a performer(he performs the Max Bygraves song "You Need Hands" in the film) as well as a manager.[citation needed]

McLaren kept the Sex Pistols' contract rights until Lydon took him to court in the 1980s to win the rights and unpaid revenues from McLaren. Lydon won and gained complete control from McLaren in 1987. McLaren and Lydon have refused to speak to each other since the band split and in the 2000 film, The Filth and the Fury, the surviving members of the Sex Pistols put their version of events on film.[citation needed]

In 1983 McLaren released Duck Rock, an album which mixed up influences from Africa and the Americas, including hip-hop. The album proved to be highly influential in bringing hip-hop to a wider audience in the UK. Two of the singles from the album ("Buffalo Gals" and "Double Dutch") became top-10 hits in the UK. He then turned his eyes to electronic music and opera in the 1984 single "Madame Butterfly", based on the opera.

Holy shit he died!
    The man was an asshole but a brilliant one I'll give him that.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    I personally never thought he would die. I figured he'd just always be out there, on the cutting edge of sanity, promoting himself.

Thank goodness I keep up with the tweets from Spinner, or I'd never've known...

How did he die I cant find anything on hte web about it?
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Nvr_Sk_to_Tll Guest
    According to Wikipedia (the world's most unimpeachable news source)

McLaren died of cancer in New York City on Thursday, 8 April 2010. His body will be flown back to the United Kingdom, and buried in Highgate cemetery, North London.

all this scratching is making me itch
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    How did he die I cant find anything on hte web about it?
    He'd been battling cancer for some time, from what I was able to find out.

Another aspect of my teen years gone. Wow.

candleinthewind Guest
    No way! I played my vinyl extended 45" of "Madame Butterfly" until my turntable died. Obscure reference I know, but it was one of my favorites. He was kind of a genius and kind of not.

stacebabe Guest
    RIP, Malcolm.

discod Guest

Malcom McLaren

has died of cancer aged 64

OMG! I just found out.
    RIP McLaren
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

candleinthewind Guest
    There's already a McLaren thread in behind the scene bigwigs.

[SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

I'm sure Sid and Nancy will be waiting for him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Forever-27 Guest
    wow what a life !

One of thoes people id love to sit down to lunch and listen to stories of their life

discod Guest
    I would have put him under the musician section,didnt see the thread here

MrsLayneStaley1201 Guest
    Aw man. I just teared up a little...

RIP Malcolm.

candleinthewind Guest

Paige B Guest

R.I.P.

"Rock and roll doesn't necessarily mean a band. It doesn't mean a singer, and it doesn't mean a lyric, really. It's that question of trying to be immortal.â? ~Malcomb McLaren

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    The man was an asshole but a brilliant one I'll give him that.
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    He was kind of a genius and kind of not.
    I agree.

RIP, Malcom.

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    No way! I played my vinyl extended 45" of "Madame Butterfly" until my turntable died. Obscure reference I know, but it was one of my favorites. He was kind of a genius and kind of not.
    My friend and I used to listen to that all the time. Haven't listened forever. Algernons Simply Awfully Good at Algebra comes up on my iPod from time to time and always makes me smile. I think that's the only MM song I have on there.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Bye Mr. McLaren.

Didn't even know he was sick.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by discod View Post
    I would have put him under the musician section,didnt see the thread here
    That's where I looked first as well. I know he's mostly associated with the Sex Pistols, but I first heard about him with regards to Adam Ant and Bow Wow Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9tL9RXEsOM

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post

Didn't even know he was sick.
    I always knew that he was sick but I didn't know that he was ill.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Mesothemilona, (sp?) I saw.

Ditto to Fool Moon, Ich and CINTW.

knothere Guest
    NEW YORK - Malcolm McLaren, the British former manager and the self-proclaimed mastermind behind iconic punk band the Sex Pistols, has died from cancer at a hospital in Switzerland, his girlfriend said. He was 64.
    “He passed away at a hospital in Switzerland where he was being treated for cancer,” said Young Kim.
    McLaren, the ex-partner of designer Vivienne Westwood, had been suffering from cancer for some time.
    The London-born impresario and promoter assembled the Sex Pistols and managed them in the mid-1970s, a period that produced the groundbreaking singles “Anarchy in the U.K.” and “God Save the Queen.”
    Kim told Reuters McLaren had traveled to New York in February for the launch of an art book before returning to Switzerland to be treated at a clinic. He died of a rare form of cancer called mesothelioma.
    “Malcolm McLaren was a man who changed the world and is a lasting influence,” Kim said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Mesothemilona, (sp?) I saw.

Ditto to Fool Moon, Ich and CINTW.

Thats directly related to exposure to asbestos, i thought he was older than 64 though.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Wasn't expecting to hear that form of cancer.

Lawyers advertise heavy for it.

He was an original for sure.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

slw Guest
    I loved the Ghosts of Oxford Street

leeny994 Guest
    I am not HIS biggest fan, but I am a Sex Pistols fan. Sir Johnny Rotten had this to say:
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...claren/?src=mv

classy

discod Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    That's where I looked first as well. I know he's mostly associated with the Sex Pistols, but I first heard about him with regards to Adam Ant and Bow Wow Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9tL9RXEsOM
    He also did alot of his own stuff and had a few albums

Noreen Guest
    He was a clever bastard and his influence changed my formative years.

RIP Malcolm

NewYorkDoll Guest
    RIP, i used to see him out with lauren hutton about 20 years ago.

his son with westwood is the founder of agent provocateur lingerie.

KarmaKat Guest
    A genius YES. Crazy HELL YES!

RIP Malcolm

NewYorkDoll Guest
    'Sex' May Have Killed Malcolm McLaren
    ]

Not the physical act, but the London store of that name he and Vivienne Westwood opened in the 70s. His partner says he was possibly exposed to asbestos while demolishing the ceiling. Which could have caused his deadly cancer.
    McLaren died in a Swiss clinic last week, aged 64, of mesothelioma â?? a lung cancer commonly associated with exposure to asbestos. His partner of 12 years, Young Kim, told British newspaper the Independent on Sunday that creating the punk aesthetic in the King's Road store that launched him, Westwood and the Sex Pistols may have been to blame.
    When Malcolm created Sex he broke open the ceiling to make it look like a bomb had hit it", said Kim. "I always suspected that shop because it was the only place Malcolm ever really spent any serious length of time in, and there was a lot of construction and changing things. Then Ben Westwood said his mother had mentioned that she'd seen asbestos there. It was board asbestos and it was in the early Seventies so there was a lot of it left, and I don't think anyone really did anything about

John Connor Guest
    I remember Cho Cho San.

Seagorath Guest

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    'Sex' May Have Killed Malcolm McLaren
    ]

Not the physical act, but the London store of that name he and Vivienne Westwood opened in the 70s. His partner says he was possibly exposed to asbestos while demolishing the ceiling. Which could have caused his deadly cancer.
    McLaren died in a Swiss clinic last week, aged 64, of mesothelioma — a lung cancer commonly associated with exposure to asbestos. His partner of 12 years, Young Kim, told British newspaper the Independent on Sunday that creating the punk aesthetic in the King's Road store that launched him, Westwood and the Sex Pistols may have been to blame.
    When Malcolm created Sex he broke open the ceiling to make it look like a bomb had hit it", said Kim. "I always suspected that shop because it was the only place Malcolm ever really spent any serious length of time in, and there was a lot of construction and changing things. Then Ben Westwood said his mother had mentioned that she'd seen asbestos there. It was board asbestos and it was in the early Seventies so there was a lot of it left, and I don't think anyone really did anything about
    Interesting to see where it was the exposure might have happened.
    Someone recently told me that asbestos particles have little daggers that cling to the lung, unlike fiberglass particles which could technically be coughed out.
    Something like that anyway. I may not have that totally straight.

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Interesting to see where it was the exposure might have happened.
    Someone recently told me that asbestos particles have little daggers that cling to the lung, unlike fiberglass particles which could technically be coughed out.
    Something like that anyway. I may not have that totally straight.
    Silica fibres can cause it as well. Very aggressive form of cancer and not a high survival rate. I think this is the one Steve McQueen had as well. They say he may have got it from his time in the merchant marine which makes perfect sense to me.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    I am not HIS biggest fan, but I am a Sex Pistols fan. Sir Johnny Rotten had this to say:
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...claren/?src=mv

classy
    Even Johnny gets becomes mild over the years. I thought he once said that McLaren was pure evil. And this one: Let's just say that if Malcolm breathes, it's too much for me to stomach
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    Even Johnny gets becomes mild over the years. I thought he once said that McLaren was pure evil. And this one: Let's just say that if Malcolm breathes, it's too much for me to stomach
    Yeah I was surprised by his statement. I guess its hard to hold a grudge against someone that launched your career nearly 3 and a 1/2 decades ago.

knothere Guest
    ah johnys not sooooo rotton

I wonder what Annabella Lwin thinks about his passing. Well, she is a Buddhist now so I'm sure she forgives him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Noreen Guest
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_547951.html

A little about Malc's Funeral. I wonder who else was there? He went out "his way" didn't he?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_547951.html

A little about Malc's Funeral. I wonder who else was there? He went out "his way" didn't he?
    Horse drawn carriage even.
    He's been buried at Highgate, one of these days I am going there.

Noreen Guest
    Nice touch, eh? I would love to go to any/all English cemeteries. Travel Europe, cemetery to cemetery!

I also read Malc's people are asking for one moment of chaos today at noon. I did participate

Johnny's statement was nice. I hate for this to sound weird but that funeral (or at least the procession) looks like fun. Seems perfect for him.

And my now almost 30 year love was there... I can't believe he is going to be 55 this year!

My brother, who lives in London, was there in the crowds yesterday and got to get close to the Horse drawn carriage ! He touched the side of it and said goodbye to Malcolm, he loves punk. He told me he cried like a baby when it happened, bless him. I wish I got to see this happen too.

Adam Ant looks good! My brother met him a few weeks ago too!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Is Adam still involved in music? He does look good.