Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer

So enjoyed watching the match today, Mexico 2 France 0
    I always cheer for the underdog teams.

Even Zinedine Zidane said France has a bad team.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Well, I wasn't impressed with the French team at all. But the game was interesting to watch.

Uruguay and Mexico should be interesting.

I really liked the Brazilian team though, thought they actually played in a humane way. North Korea seemed pretty aggressive to me.

Looking forward to the US game tomorrow.

Uruguay-Greece or Uruguay-Brazil would be interesting. If that ever happens.

So what would your dream game be?

Quote Originally Posted by NineTails20 View Post
    Not as big a fail as France!
    Or Australia

I have picked Argentina and they are doing well. However, my dark horse is Ivory Coast. They have a fantastic 23 year old up forward who ran rings around the Portugese defence. Put him together with Drogba and they have the potential to wreak havoc.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Fujicakes Guest
    Not as big a fail as France!
    I'm sure France is kicking themselves right now for the massive fail of a performance.

NineTails20 Guest
    France cheated us Irish out of a place in South Africa, the bastards! So needless to say, the whole of Ireland were cheering on Mexico last night!

France cheated us Irish out of a place in South Africa, the bastards! So needless to say, the whole of Ireland were cheering on Mexico last night!
    Karma baby.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh I was cheering for Mexico too! I would have supported Ireland if they got into this WC! Bloody cheating French !

Suburbians 1, zie Chermans el-zippo, nada, nil, nought, zero
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half time, Slovenia 2, USA 0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's become very clear to me that talking to some England fans is very much like pulling teeth! There is an England fan on Facebook who cant stand me (I am Welsh) and hates the fact I won't support England. Now I have the choice who to support and mine is Portgual. I do hope Algeria (hope the spelling is right) wins later and its pissed this man off. He has left some postings on my FB page and it gets me mad. I dont have to love or support England, its my choice!

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Half time, Slovenia 2, USA 0
    2-2 now

Quote Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
    2-2 now
    And that is the final score. USA did well to make it 2-2. I found the FIFA rankings for all the teams in the world.

Interesting to see the upper teams rankings compared to how they are performing in the World Cup.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ra...llranking.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That referee from Mali must be blind or paid off.

NineTails20 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    That referee from Mali must be blind or paid off.

Be thankful the referee wasn't Howard Webb.

After tonight;s game, England should HANG their heads in shame! They were crap! The fans HAVE every right to boo them, they spent alot on following them! I am glad I am not a fan of England, they shouldnt be allowed to wear the shirts! Shocking !

I support my country of course. Tomorrow they play against Japan.

http://www.oranjevirus.nl/images/content/selectie.jpg
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

In the Slovenia vs United States game what in the world
    was that referee thinking by disallowing the goal from
    team USA.
    England vs Algeria ended up in a tie, I think the English
    team are a little discombobulated right now.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

We were robbed!@ lmao

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    In the Slovenia vs United States game what in the world
    was that referee thinking by disallowing the goal from
    team USA.
    England vs Algeria ended up in a tie, I think the English
    team are a little discombobulated right now.
    England can play for their own club teams very well.............but stick an England shirt on them and they can't play at all. Like I said last night was shocking and they shouldnt be allowed to wear the shirt and play for their country! I am glad to be Welsh and not English today! But still I can't believe them last night..........losers!

Aussies playing Ghana at the moment. We need a good win here by a couple of goals.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-19-2010 at 07:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Really not sure about that red card. Even in slow mo it looks like a very harsh decision. It was hardly deliberate. Check it.

AUS-GHA Red Card for Australia Kewell (Handball in Goal Area) against GHANA

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post
    Really not sure about that red card. Even in slow mo it looks like a very harsh decision. It was hardly deliberate. Check it.

You Tube are quick today.....it's gone already

Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    You Tube are quick today.....it's gone already
    Ended up 1 all. I thought the backs did a great job and the two subs 20 minutes from the end allowed us to take it to them.

I have to say that I am really impressed how fast they generate the replays on the TV coverage and more importantly the quality of them. Great stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BooMom Guest
    I only caughta few mins of Netherlands v. Japan. Am sooo glad the Netherlands won !

Littleroben Guest
    Ended up 1 all. I thought the backs did a great job and the two subs 20 minutes from the end allowed us to take it to them.

I have to say that I am really impressed how fast they generate the replays on the TV coverage and more importantly the quality of them. Great stuff.
    I should have just put the tv on really that would have been easier. Just showing some replays now so will catch up on the highlights

Quote Originally Posted by BooMom View Post
    I only caughta few mins of Netherlands v. Japan. Am sooo glad the Netherlands won !
    Japanese were very defensive in the first half which was frustrating the Dutch a tad. Every time an orange shirt got a ball there were three Japanese closing him down. Netherlands bounced out of the box early in the second half and put together some good combinations, they stepped up their attacking intensity and got a goal early on. Full credit to the Japanese though as they immediately changed their game to an attacking one and had some good runs forward. However, the class of the Dutch prevailed. Clearly one of the better teams in the tournament.

On a side note, I notice Nicolas Anelka has been booted out of the French squad after a locker room argument with the coach. The 31-year-old Chelsea forward is reported to have told Domenech to "go screw yourself, dirty son of a whore" in the dressing room after the coach took issue with his first-half performance against Mexico, sports daily L'Equipe claimed.

The wheels have officially fallen off the French campaign.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-19-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ghana played brilliantly I thought so for Aus to come out of that with a draw with only 10 men from so early on they played much better and had a cracking game. The extra man on the pitch would have given us a different scoreline I'm sure.

A great match to watch and another example of teams wanting to play and wanting to play well. Something England should seriously note.

Littleroben Guest
    Watched the 'hand ball' that was harsh, it was much more that the ball hit his arm than him having anything to do with it.

Ghana played brilliantly I thought so for Aus to come out of that with a draw with only 10 men from so early on they played much better and had a cracking game. The extra man on the pitch would have given us a different scoreline I'm sure.

A great match to watch and another example of teams wanting to play and wanting to play well. Something England should seriously note.
    Do you think that England's problem is that they are a team of individuals?

I believe that the reason why a lot of lesser teams do well in the World Cup is that they play for each other, share the ball around etc etc. Whereas a lot of the world powers seem to have teams comprised of glory hunters. Simplistic I know, but how else would you explain it?

I am not saying this is England's problem, it would be evident if players like Rooney just went forward and had shots at goal, not crossing or passing, but it is not so. But the big guns just fall flat. Too much weight of expectation?

I have not seen England play, but as I write the England v Algeria game replay has just started.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-19-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Watched the 'hand ball' that was harsh, it was much more that the ball hit his arm than him having anything to do with it.
    Kewell did the classic thing a forward does in a defensive situation, get on the line to back up his keeper. The red card was harsh, but his arm was outstretched and it hit him in the bicep just adjacent to the elbow, there was no chest involved. I guess it is the ref's interpretation of intent. As noted by Axl, it would have been more interesting if he were not sent off.

The press in Aus have been scathing of the team after their defeat by Germany in the first game, they deserve to be cut a lot of slack after this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Littleroben Guest
    Kewell did the classic thing a forward does in a defensive situation, get on the line to back up his keeper. The red card was harsh, but his arm was outstretched and it hit him in the bicep just adjacent to the elbow, there was no chest involved. I guess it is the ref's interpretation of intent. As noted by Axl, it would have been more interesting if he were not sent off.

The press in Aus have been scathing of the team after their defeat by Germany in the first game, they deserve to be cut a lot of slack after this game.
    Thank you for the explanation, it was very helpful . As you may have figured out I know diddly about football, but I do quite enjoy watching the odd match provided Eng-er-land aren't playing.

Thank you for the explanation, it was very helpful . As you may have figured out I know diddly about football, but I do quite enjoy watching the odd match provided Eng-er-land aren't playing.
    I gather you are not English?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Do you think that England's problem is that they are a team of individuals?

I believe that the reason why a lot of lesser teams do well in the World Cup is that they play for each other, share the ball around etc etc. Whereas a lot of the world powers seem to have teams comprised of glory hunters. Simplistic I know, but how else would you explain it?

I am not saying this is England's problem, it would be evident if players like Rooney just went forward and had shots at goal, not crossing or passing, but it is not so. But the big guns just fall flat. Too much weight of expectation?

I have not seen England play, but as I write the England v Algeria game replay has just started.
    It's horrendous Neil, don't waste 90 minutes of your life.

For the next World Cup, English Premier League players shouldn't be chosen by England. This is purely from an English point of view. Any other country can chose who they want but the English manager should buck the trend and pick players ready, waiting, willing and passionate. If we'd started this World Cup with players from the first division only we'd be sat on the steps of the stadium now waiting for the other finalists to show up. We'd have won our group, scored a minimum of two goals per match, killed Maradona and stuffed his corpse with recycled Vuvuzelas before parading him around Trafalgar square following up with a relatively unknown player dropping three goals in spectacular fashion into a net guarded by over zealous, worried Brazilians watched by a crowd of naked models dripping in oil and gagging for a go on the communal rabbit.

As it is we're in the position we're in now with very little to be proud of, being shown how to play football by countries who, in football terms, we should be giving a lesson to.

In short, we're shit, overpaid, overvalued and making fools of ourselves.

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Any thoughts on the Cameroon-Denmark game? Thought it was pretty interesting but didn't catch all of it. Can't wait for Brazil-Ivory Coast later tonight. Yay!!!

Irony of ironies. I used to hate soccer. Now I'm watching most games, except Germany and rooting for all sorts of teams. There's something about a World Cup let me tell you.

French coach and French team named best cure for insomnia on French program. As a French citizen, that brought tears to my eyes - tears of laughter. Best comment ever.

Littleroben Guest
    I gather you are not English?
    lol - no I am, just still sulking after the disappointing performance on Friday - I so should have gone shopping instead . Plus fed up with cheap flags everywhere, although IF they get through to next round I may be a bit more interested.

knothere Guest
    viva portugal ! !

**Update**

Axl - Spain (unless England pull their heads out their arses in which case we'll win it hands down.)
    deathbunny - Italia
    fujicakes - Brazil
    linnythepooh - Netherlands
    littleroben - England
    knothere - Portugal
    neilmpenny - Argentina
    ninetails20 - Spain
    orionova - England
    spookystone - Portugal
    theotherlondon - England
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-19-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Harry Kewell's handball was a straight red card, says top Aussie referee

REFEREE Roberto Rosetti had "no choice" but to dismiss Harry Kewell for handball, according to the Australian who refereed at the last two World Cups.

Mark Shield, who was Australia's leading official until he retired in 2008, insisted "you do not see a clearer case of handball on the goalline" after Kewell was dismissed for blocking a Ghanaian shot in the Socceroos' 1-1 draw yesterday.

Shield said there were two crucial factors that dictated both the award of a penalty and Kewell's expulsion after less than half an hour.

"The key fact is the shot was hit from so far away (roughly 10m) it gave Harry the chance to get out of the way - it couldn't be regarded as ball to hand," he said. "At the last World Cup we were briefed that a ball hit hard from two or three metres away might not be viewed as intentional handball, but Harry was three or four times as far away.

"Not only that but he also makes a small but definite move towards the ball with his arm - for whatever reason, as the ball came to him Harry's arm stayed stiff and that's handball. "It's so unfortunate that it was Harry Kewell and Australia, but Roberto had no option but to give the penalty and send him off."

According to the rules of the game, Kewell's position on the line meant it was an "obvious goalscoring opportunity" - ensuring he had to be dismissed once Rosetti ruled it a deliberate handball.

That's also why Zdravko Kuzmanovic and Nemanja Vidic only got yellow cards for their handballs in Serbia's two matches - neither situation was a clear goalscoring opportunity.

According to FIFA sources, referees at this World Cup were given specific guidelines to rule on whether a handball was deliberate. They were told to look for the distance the ball had travelled from being kicked; the speed of the ball; and whether the hand or arm is in "an unnatural position". They also were told to consider the position of the arm relative to the body.

The FIFA sources also say footage on a refereeing presentation shown to the teams before the World Cup isn't directly comparable, despite the claims of Mark Schwarzer after the game, and certainly doesn't invalidate Kewell's red card.

It won't offer a scintilla of consolation to Kewell, but his case may prompt a change in the rules. The International Football Association Board, the body that oversees changes to the laws, was understood to be considering tackling the issue of the so-called "triple penalty" even before Kewell made it a cause celebre.

The lawmakers are vexed by the fact a penalty, a dismissal and a suspension all apply for one offence, and are believed to be considering options such as removing the suspension, or putting a cap of a yellow card on incidents where a penalty is awarded.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1225881956506
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-20-2010 at 04:04 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New Zealand 1, Italy 1...... Brilliant!!!!! Go Kiwi's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unfuckinreal

Unfuckinreal
    How cool is that?

Next tonight is Brazil vs Ivory Coast. Unfortunately it will be 2.30am and I will be in bed. However, as I mentioned earlier, if that 23 year old forward for Ivory Coast links up with Drogba, it will be a goal scoring fiesta.

Interesting to note that the French squad refused to train because of the Anelka fiasco. It is noted that he will never play for France again.

Good riddance I say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The rest of the world are showing the majority of Europe how to play at the moment which is making for an excellent tournament. Although I still think Spain it's hard to say who exactly will be in the semi finals. it may well be England for all we know but Wednesday is the day they need to pull their heads out of their arses.

Off down the pub now for a few looseners pre Brazil IC later. Looking forward to it.

Great scenes of NZ fans earlier. Lots to be proud about.

The rest of the world are showing the majority of Europe how to play at the moment which is making for an excellent tournament. Although I still think Spain it's hard to say who exactly will be in the semi finals. it may well be England for all we know but Wednesday is the day they need to pull their heads out of their arses.

Off down the pub now for a few looseners pre Brazil IC later. Looking forward to it.

Great scenes of NZ fans earlier. Lots to be proud about.
    I think England are contenders. I read an interesting article around an interview James gave yesterday in the Times. His rational was that Algeria tailored their game around frustrating England and playing a severe defensive game. And you know, he was right.

I saw Gerrard pass in a killer cross to Cole early on in the first half who was unlucky. Gerrard, Barry and Lennon probing forward, Hesky causing all sorts of problems up forward.

I think England has the team to get to the last 8 at least.

Rooney had piss poor quality of delivery from the midfield. He had to go in and battle for every possession he had. He was hard done by from the press in my opinion.

I know, I am a lone voice, but I see the potential.

Fuck, I am an Australian, and I am batting for England.

I call it as I see it.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-20-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Paige B Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    I hope the USA wins the World Cup (they won't, but I can dream). However, once the USA goes out, I will be rooting for the England team. Not because I used to live there, or the fact that my son has dual citizenship. I want them to win so they fucking shut up about 1966!!!!!
    LOL!! I second that!! I married a Brit and I hear about 1966
    ALL-THE-TIME!

It's horrendous Neil, don't waste 90 minutes of your life.

For the next World Cup, English Premier League players shouldn't be chosen by England. This is purely from an English point of view. Any other country can chose who they want but the English manager should buck the trend and pick players ready, waiting, willing and passionate. If we'd started this World Cup with players from the first division only we'd be sat on the steps of the stadium now waiting for the other finalists to show up. We'd have won our group, scored a minimum of two goals per match, killed Maradona and stuffed his corpse with recycled Vuvuzelas before parading him around Trafalgar square following up with a relatively unknown player dropping three goals in spectacular fashion into a net guarded by over zealous, worried Brazilians watched by a crowd of naked models dripping in oil and gagging for a go on the communal rabbit.

As it is we're in the position we're in now with very little to be proud of, being shown how to play football by countries who, in football terms, we should be giving a lesson to.

In short, we're shit, overpaid, overvalued and making fools of ourselves.
    I think the team should be changed into Great Britain and that means players from England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland can play for the country. And get a top manger to do the job too.

Proud to be Welsh and hope England lose on Wednesday!

NineTails20 Guest
    All I'll say about the French team imploding is that Karma really is a bitch.

*dies laughing*

The french football team has gone on strike after Anelka was sent home!!!!
    New Zealand played well but can't see them winning, so I'm going with the Netherlands to win

Quote Originally Posted by anne View Post
    The french football team has gone on strike after Anelka was sent home!!!!
    New Zealand played well but can't see them winning, so I'm going with the Netherlands to win
    It gets even better!

A training ground argument between French captain Patrice Evra and fitness coach Robert Duverne had to be broken up. Evra accused the trainer of being a 'spy'. The trainer tossed his badge away and left.

The players forced the coach Domenech to read a letter (how humiliating is that?) from Evra and the players to the press saying that they were boycotting training and describing how unhappy the players were. The team Director Jean-Louis Valentin quit.

Then, after the letter was read, the players booted the coach off of the bus and told him to find his way back to the 'otel.

Merde!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

knothere Guest

knothere Guest