Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoopi Goldberg

Whoopi Goldberg

Whoopi spent an entire segment on The View last month, sharing her heartbreaking and embarrassing experiences living with this medical condition, from which she suffers; then her commercial for Poise ran in the next break. I forget if everyone in the audience got a free package.

Everyone can debate the merits of the Academy Awards® show. For us, the most disturbing segment came during a commercial break in the Red Carpet lead-in show, with onetime host Whoopi Goldberg's extravagant and distasteful ad for pads that soak up her unexpected "spritzes" from bladder leakage. We couldn't shake off the image through the next three hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih7lI...layer_embedded
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

cachluv Guest
    I hate commercials, really. And I have to say, as much of a Whoopi fan as I am, this commercial makes me a tad uncomfortable. Must we talk about everything?

Now let me say, kudos to her for her balls. This took some, for sure. This is a problem for a lot of women, and most don't even know. They just assume it's them and they are defective in some way. I hope for all the discomfort, it does some good.

STsFirstmate Guest
    I liked the ad and found it funny and it hit home. As a woman of a certain age (57)who runs for planes, gets stuck in long meetings dreading laughing or coughing fits I can relate.
    Gravity takes it's toll on some of us.
    They also did a segment on the view yesterday for a book called Flow and I wasn't particularly interested until the women starting talking and then I was totally hooked. It was fascinating, all about menstrual cycles.
    I really like Whoopi and think she is bright and engaging and funny. The ad didn't make me uncomfortable compared to all the erectile dysfunction (what does two people in separate bathtubs have to do with sex or erectile dysfunction anyway as an aside?) and the KY lotion ads.
    Regards,
    Mary

cachluv Guest
    "The ad didn't make me uncomfortable compared to all the erectile dysfunction (what does two people in separate bathtubs have to do with sex or erectile dysfunction anyway as an aside?) and the KY lotion ads."

---Awesome point, sweetheart. I see both sides here....

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    "The ad didn't make me uncomfortable compared to all the erectile dysfunction (what does two people in separate bathtubs have to do with sex or erectile dysfunction anyway as an aside?) and the KY lotion ads."

---Awesome point, sweetheart. I see both sides here....
    I hear you! I am hoping you are either too young or have escaped the drippies! In either case more power to you. I still get skeeved out by all the denture adds. There is just not a color or illustration about removing food particles that doesn't gross me out!
    Regards,
    Mary

cachluv Guest
    46 and no I haven't escaped I started doing Kegels and I did get some relief, hopefully I can keep it up. Literally!!

Last edited by cachluv; 03-10-2010 at 08:41 AM.

STsFirstmate Guest
    46 and no I haven't escaped I started doing Kegels and I did get some relief, hopefully I can keep it up. Literally!!
    LOL keep it up! Too funny! I had a friend who has the silicon injection and resolved it but I am too chicken. 46 is young trust me. I did not feel any different in my forties but I am definitely feeling my 50s!
    regards,
    Mary

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I really like Whoopi and think she is bright and engaging and funny. The ad didn't make me uncomfortable compared to all the erectile dysfunction (what does two people in separate bathtubs have to do with sex or erectile dysfunction anyway as an aside?) and the KY lotion ads.
    Regards,
    Mary
    True, they can't be any worse than the K-Y ones. At least those don't depict
    oil rigs, fire crackers, and smoke could come out of coochies at "that moment" like the K-Y ones do.

sunshine74137 Guest
    I suppose if your going to pee pee your pants ya might as well get a few bucks outta it. I wonder if it's like Tiger and she gets paid every time she's photographed in a poise ballcap or tee

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I hate commercials, really. And I have to say, as much of a Whoopi fan as I am, this commercial makes me a tad uncomfortable. Must we talk about everything?

Now let me say, kudos to her for her balls. This took some, for sure. This is a problem for a lot of women, and most don't even know. They just assume it's them and they are defective in some way. I hope for all the discomfort, it does some good.
    Ever read her book? Came out in '97 I think, and even back then one of her major themes was farting. I do enjoy some Whoopi, though...

Whoopi tries to bring the funny to unfunny subject - light bladder leakage - in Poise ads

By Sherryl Connelly
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Monday, March 1st 2010, 3:11 PM

1in3likeme.com
    Whoopi Goldberg as the Mona Lisa in an ad for Poise. She is trying to raise acceptance and awareness for light bladder leakage.

Mona Lisa wasn't smiling - she was actually grimacing due to light bladder leakage.

As a new spokewoman for Poise pads, Whoopi Goldberg appears on the company's website in the guise of several historical women including Lady Liberty, Cleopatra and Mona Lisa.

Joining a long line of celebrities who've become the public face of physical symptoms many people would rather not think about - including Bob Dole with erectile dysfunction - the comic wants women to start talking about LBL. Or what she calls "the spritz."
    The spritz, she explains, is that "little bit of water" that escapes our bodies.

On the website, Goldberg first plays it straight, explaining that LBL affects 1 in 3 women of all ages. It can be brought on by sneezing, laughing, exercise, pregnancy or even an affectionate squeeze.
    She says she talks about it all the time, which is no surprise coming from one of the outspoken co-hosts of ABC's "The View."
    But other women resist the discussion or deny the problem. Her point is that women won't start dealing with it until they admit to it.
    Then she plays it for laughs. Lady Liberty explains that standing all day can have its problems. Cleopatra says having to get up and dance presents its risks. And Mona Lisa says Leonardo da Vinci made her laugh, and now she's stuck sitting in a wet spot for eternity on the wall of the Louvre.
    "I don't want to be painted," the Whoopi-Lisa quips. "I want to be dry."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/03/01/2010-03-01_whoopi_tries_to_bring_the_funny_to_unfunny_subject__light_bladder_leakage__in_po.h tml#ixzz0hoTtHcbi
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

opheliahardin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by opheliahardin View Post

wtf!?!?!?!?!? Roflmao!!!!!!!
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sunshine74137 Guest
    "an affectionate squeeze" I imigine squeeze pee's suck

PurrPurr Guest
    rofl!!!:d

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    wtf!?!?!?!?!? Roflmao!!!!!!!

Somehow I knew you'd like that.

Oprah's got a slightly worse problem...

17. 03-12-2010, 12:32 AM

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I think I just peed my own pants.

Somehow I knew you'd like that.

Oprah's got a slightly worse problem...

First thing I thought, that's her unedited reaction to Tom Cruz jumping up and down on her couch.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh, sorry off topic, but Whoopi Goldberg is a sad
    replacement for Rosie Odonnell on the daytime
    show The View.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    show The View.
    And with Rosie they had to replace less chairs

Whoopi Goldberg Defends Cheating, Tattoos, Jesse James

Tue., Apr. 6, 2010 8:56 AM PDT by Breanne L. Heldman

"Hey, listen, I did it five or six times," she says. "Yes, I screwed around. Yes, while I was married. I made those mistakes, too, yeah. It happens sometimes. It happens...Maybe he wanted something wonderful in his life but couldn't deal with it."
    But that's not the only thing Whoopi has in common with Mr. Monster Garage.
    "I have tattoos!" she declares.
    "Not over your whole body," Joy Behar interjects. "You've got one."
    "No, I have seven," Whoopi confesses. When Joy asks where, she answers, "Wouldn't you like to know?"
    Um, that's OK, Whoopi. Thanks.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/detail.jsp?contentId=175089#ixzz0kPiEA0VR

Edna St. Vincent Millay

candleinthewind Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    oil rigs, fire crackers, and smoke could come out of coochies at "that moment" like the K-Y ones do.
    There's an ad on the radio about natural supplements for menopausal women. My nine year old son asked, "What's hot flashes?" I'm 43 so I told him that he would find out soon enough.

I'm not disturbed by ED as must as I am disturbed by the thought of Bob and Libby Dole having sex.

Oh, and thank you Whoopie. Someone had to be the spokesperson for Poise.

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Oh, and thank you Whoopie. Someone had to be the spokesperson for Poise.
    How about Nancy Reagan? "Just say No to spritz!"

Bette Davis? "But ya spritz Blanche, ya spritz!"

opheliahardin Guest
    Barbara Walters? "Twoubled by spwitzing? Twy Poise!"

W.H. crasher's feud with Whoopi Goldberg

FIGHT!
    Michaele Salahi, the alleged White House party crasher who's now featured on Bravo's "Real Housewives of D.C.," has launched a feud with "View" co-host Whoopi Goldberg.

Salahi told "Today" show hosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb that Goldberg "abused" Salahi during a Wednesday appearance on "The View."

On the Wednesday broadcast, Goldberg can be seen walking onto the set, putting her hand on Salahi's arm and saying something (inaudible to the audience). Goldberg was apparently exasperated with Salahi for wandering off-topic, and wanted her to return to the subject of White House party crashing.

After the taping, Salahi and her husband, Tareq, accused Goldberg of "outrageous abuse" and blasted the comedian-actress on their Facebook page and elsewhere, The Daily Beast reports.

ABC, which airs "The View," immediately rushed to Goldberg's defense. "The accusation was completely unfounded and erroneous," the network said in a statement, citing the show footage. Salahi is seen arguing with another Real Housewife about a wine-throwing incident when Goldberg emerges from offstage to intervene.:

But in her later "Today" interview, Michaele Salahi said that Goldberg's "abuse" occurred after the show, when Goldberg pursued the dispute in the dressing room at "The View."

In her version of the incident, Salahi said that Goldberg entered the dressing room saying, "eff this and eff that. Did you say I effin' hit you?" Salahi added that she corrected Goldberg at that time, saying she never accused the actress of "hitting."

That indignity compounded, in Michaele's view, the show's already improper effort to spin the White House incident against the Salahis. The Salahis maintain that government official Michelle Jones invited them to attend the November 2009 state dinner and that the "crasher" label is both inaccurate and offensive.
    Last edited by coconn04; 08-05-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

STsFirstmate Guest
    I would have had choice words for those losers as well.
    She is, after all, the moderator and her role to keep the trains running on time and keep people from wandering too far off topic.
    I am far from impartial because I really like Whoopie, I really don't like these two losers and I have been known to liberally use the F word when pissed off.
    She also is known ti have a low tolerance for reality shows like housewives and the Bachlorette etc. She seems to avoid segments with the Jersey Shore, Dancing with the Stars, reality show people when ever she can and Sherri and Elizabeth take on those interviews.
    Trust me she did not likely take it on herself to do it but rather reacted to instructions from the executive producer Bill on her ear wig.
    I would last about 30 minutes on one of these shows because I simply can't hold back. 99% of my clients are wonderful people but a couple really have me counting to 10 sometimes. I am sure live TV would totally finish me off.
    Regards,
    Mary

Giada Guest
    show The View.
    I agree with you, gave up on The View after Whoopi defended Polanski, "It wasn't rape-rape." She defends Gibson's domestic abuse, and James who placed not only his children in harms way by his behavior but could well have placed his wife's health at risk.

Far better program is Loose Women from ITV. Light, self-deprecating humor, rotation of presenter's. Too bad we don't have a program like this in the US ... easy to laugh all the way through .........

opheliahardin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post

Salahi told "Today" show hosts Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb that Goldberg "abused" Salahi during a Wednesday appearance on "The View."

Help!, Help I'm being repressed!

I think Michaele Salahi and her husband are two
    big attention whores.
    That will do or say anything as long they are in
    the news.
    Just saw her on the Today show you can tell the
    other women hate Michaele Salahi.

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    I agree with you, gave up on The View after Whoopi defended Polanski, "It wasn't rape-rape." She defends Gibson's domestic abuse, and James who placed not only his children in harms way by his behavior but could well have placed his wife's health at risk.

Far better program is Loose Women from ITV. Light, self-deprecating humor, rotation of presenter's. Too bad we don't have a program like this in the US ... easy to laugh all the way through .........
    I have mixed views about Whoopi. One one hand she has the most awards that Black Actors in HIstory have
    . She has an Oscar, Tony, Emmy...ETC.

She doesn't seem to carry herself like it though.

I went to the Liberty Medal Ceremony, last year, when they were giving Steve Spielberg the Liberty Medal.
    Mostly it was a Black Tie thing.
    President Clinton, the governor and other dignataries were there.

Whoopi comes out to read her speech. There was a teleprompter there. SHe still flubbed her way through it. She came dressed in jeans and a shawl.

I mean most people would have acted honor to be there and she seem to treat it as if it were just another gig.

I don't know about this incident but I think someone like Whoopi appears to be someone who just is natural and comfortable with touching people.

Some people just recoil when they are touched by someone unfamiliar.

I think the definition of assault is unwanted touching.
    Probably won't go to far with this case.
    Last edited by coconn04; 08-05-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

I never realized there were that many pee videos on utoob. Learned something today.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I too have some problems with Whoopi.

1) The Roman Polanski comment- it's not
    rape,rape(what ever that means)

2) When she tried to defend Michael Vick
    and the awful dog fighting by saying It's
    a culture thing.

But now with what just happened on the
    show I agree with her.

Team Whoopi.

STsFirstmate Guest
    I too have some problems with Whoopi.

1) The Roman Polanski comment- it's not
    rape,rape(what ever that means)

2) When she tried to defend Michael Vick
    and the awful dog fighting by saying It's
    a culture thing.

But now with what just happened on the
    show I agree with her.

Team Whoopi.
    Let's see a low rent wannabe sticks a cell phone in a two time academy award winners face. Knowing Whoopie he is lucky he got out of the deal unscathed.
    There is a great soul food place that has been around forever in the West Village called The Pink Teacup. It is fun and funky and the food is very good.
    I have a friend from Oakland that loves to eat there when she comes out to visit. Whoopie came in one night when we were eating. My friend is pretty much a black female super hero. She looks like the Imam if she could bench press a buick.
    She is a 16 year decorated SF Fire Dept female firefighter and a former olympic athelete. This was not too long after 9/11 and definately before her View days when Whoopie walked in.
    She took one look at my friend who was wearing her SF Fire Dept sweats and she wanted to get our check. Sable declined politely and said she wasn't at the Towers and did not deserve that level of consideration.
    We did accept the cocktails she sent over.
    I know she is really private in public and we certainly just thanks her and left her and her friends be.
    I just instantly liked her and thought she would be fun to hang with based on what I saw.
    On a side note my friend was recovering from a badly broken ankle and they rejected her application to volunteer at ground zero, a fact that might well have saved her from the slow death so many other first responders have suffered.
    I like her. I frequently disagree with her but I like her!
    Rosie was hard for me and still is. It is like having a really bright friend gripped with severe emotional problems and they just keep careening out of control slipping further away. Again just my opinion.
    Regards,
    mary

Regards,
    Mary

Giada Guest
    I don't know about this incident but I think someone like Whoopi appears to be someone who just is natural and comfortable with touching people.

My Italian background allows me a very touchy/feelly approach. I'm easy with affection, this I understand.

My problem with Whoopi is she has not seemed the same since she joined The View. When I did watch, she was a, "prop for commercial introductions," had little to say, and when she did it was non-sensical, and without thought, (rape-rape).

I also find there is a problem when you move from 4 women to 5. Loose Women has four women who are attentive to each other, and face the person who is speaking.

On The View ... it's five women all screeching and vying for attention at the same time. For me, unwatchable.

As far as this most recent incident ... I don't find credibility on either side. The blonde who is looking for an attorney and attention, and Whoopi who may as well be pitching a reality show.

(Having said this ... I've enjoyed Whoopi, in the past as a performer, and move on to those I do enjoy

More from Michaele's point of view. I heard from other people too that Michaele was not a gate crasher. Members of the view were ganging up on her.
    I understand that Oprah does this to people too. She tries to turn the audience against people. May be good TV but It must be embarrassing to have this happen on LIVE TV.

PCN / Splash News

Michaele Salahi and Whoopi Goldberg could be set for another heated battle -- this time in the courtroom. The reality television star, who debuted Thursday on The Real Housewives of D.C., is so upset at being branded a ‘gatecrasher’ on-air during Wednesday’s episode of The View, she is considering suing for defamation.

Salahis’ lawyer Lisa Bloom told RadarOnline.com that the celebrity-seeking couple Michaele and Tareq are considering their legal options.
    "All options are open right now," Bloom said when asked if the Salahis will take legal action following the controversial appearance.
    Bloom says she believes Michaele was defamed after being called a ‘gatecrasher’ five times during the segment.
    She says producers of the show turned on the applause light for the audience when the show's Sherri Shepherd told Michaele that "you should be in jail."

"I believe she was defamed," Bloom told RadarOnline.com.
    “She was branded a ‘gatecrasher’ five times and was even told she should go to jail.
    "My client is not a criminal and she has not been charged by anybody for any crime.
    "You can't call someone a rapist or a murderer when there are no charges against them. So why is it OK to defame my client?"

During the controversial episode, Whoopi also came on the set during Michaele’s appearance to urge her to talk more about the night she and her husband ‘crashed’ President Barack Obama's state dinner last fall.

Then after the show, a shouting match between Michaele and Whoopi erupted, during which the Real Housewife said the co-host left her in tears after screaming, 'F*** this, f*** that, Did you say I F***ing hit you?'.

The View spokesman Karl Nilsson said the backstage altercation began after Salahi supposedly accused Goldberg of hitting her on the show.
    He called the charge completely unfounded.
    But Bloom says her client never said Goldberg hit her, but that Salahi had been startled by her.

The Salahi’s laywer says she had seen the invite to the state dinner

at the centre of the ‘gatecrashing’ furore, even though the supposed document, if it exists, has never been released.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Put 'em in the ring and let Whoopi kicks that boney broads ass.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Jazbabee Guest
    show The View.

There was a story about Black Academy Award winners and just because the NYT did not individually "mention" by name every black academy award winner, they are deemed racist by Whoopi Goldberg?
    I think that every time there's a news story about black people, Whoopi feels the need to be personally named in it?

When Whoopi Goldberg caught sight of an recent New York Times article discussing the lack of racial diversity among this year's Academy Award nominees, she naturally expected to see her own name.

But Goldberg, 55, who won an Oscar for her role in 1990's Ghost, wasn't mentioned at all in the story – and that smarted.

"I am embarrassed to tell you it hurt me terribly," Goldberg said on The View Monday. "When you win an Academy Award, that's part of what you've done, your legacy. I will always be Academy Award-winner Whoopi Goldberg, and have been dismissed and erased by The New York Times film critics, who should know better."

Goldberg went on to list her accomplishments before blasting the critics for "sloppy" work. The article did, however, reference a slew of modern day African-American winners, including Halle Berry, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman, all of whom won the award after 2002.

"Not only am I an Academy Award winner," she said, pausing to take out her statuette as the audience erupted in cheers and applause. "I have made over 50 films. I have been nominated twice – once for The Color Purple, once for Ghost. And I won for Ghost."

"This is not hidden information, and to these two critics, who are the head critics of The New York Times ... it's hard not to take it personally," she continued. "There's a lot of stuff that people say and do but this is sloppy journalism."

"People in Somalia know [about my Oscar win]," she continued. "People in China know."

Later on Monday, a spokesperson for The Times responded to Goldberg's rant in a statement to Entertainment Weekly. "The error lies with those who are reading the story incorrectly," the statement reads. "The point of the piece was not to name every black actor or actress who has been awarded an Oscar, it was to draw a comparison between the number who won prior to 2002 (the year Halle Berry and Denzel Washington won) and those who have won since."

Continues the statement: "And the story states very clearly that in 73 years, prior to 2002, only seven black actors/actresses won Oscars."
    http://www.people.com/people/article...466210,00.html

Edna St. Vincent Millay

DonnaMc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Too funny!

STsFirstmate Guest
    There was a story about Black Academy Award winners and just because the NYT did not individually "mention" by name every black academy award winner, they are deemed racist by Whoopi Goldberg?
    I think that every time there's a news story about black people, Whoopi feels the need to be personally named in it?

When Whoopi Goldberg caught sight of an recent New York Times article discussing the lack of racial diversity among this year's Academy Award nominees, she naturally expected to see her own name.

But Goldberg, 55, who won an Oscar for her role in 1990's Ghost, wasn't mentioned at all in the story ?? and that smarted.

"I am embarrassed to tell you it hurt me terribly," Goldberg said on The View Monday. "When you win an Academy Award, that's part of what you've done, your legacy. I will always be Academy Award-winner Whoopi Goldberg, and have been dismissed and erased by The New York Times film critics, who should know better."

Goldberg went on to list her accomplishments before blasting the critics for "sloppy" work. The article did, however, reference a slew of modern day African-American winners, including Halle Berry, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman, all of whom won the award after 2002.

"Not only am I an Academy Award winner," she said, pausing to take out her statuette as the audience erupted in cheers and applause. "I have made over 50 films. I have been nominated twice ?? once for The Color Purple, once for Ghost. And I won for Ghost."

"This is not hidden information, and to these two critics, who are the head critics of The New York Times ... it's hard not to take it personally," she continued. "There's a lot of stuff that people say and do but this is sloppy journalism."

"People in Somalia know [about my Oscar win]," she continued. "People in China know."

Later on Monday, a spokesperson for The Times responded to Goldberg's rant in a statement to Entertainment Weekly. "The error lies with those who are reading the story incorrectly," the statement reads. "The point of the piece was not to name every black actor or actress who has been awarded an Oscar, it was to draw a comparison between the number who won prior to 2002 (the year Halle Berry and Denzel Washington won) and those who have won since."

Continues the statement: "And the story states very clearly that in 73 years, prior to 2002, only seven black actors/actresses won Oscars."
    http://www.people.com/people/article...466210,00.html
    This is simply untrue and inaccurateto the extreme.. I was watching the view and I read the original article in detail and she never said racist and never implied racist. She faulted their fact checking. Never once did she bring race into it as an issue. She was not miffed her name wasn;t there, she like me and many others was taking issue with their math not ablout listing her name.
    The NY Times has since printed a totally lame justification that the story was misunderstood with a clarification.
    While they may be factually accurate in their characterization of the story ( I am still doubtful) it was at best sloppy word craft if so many people, including myself who read the article very carefully and shared Whoopi's unhappiness.
    Worse than that they failed to exhibit any class in their response. They should have included a line stating they regretted any perceived slight to a respected American artist.
    Whoopie is one of just a handful of EGGOTs. Winner of an Emmy, a Golden Globe, a GRammy, an Oscar and a Tony. She deserves the respect that comes with that.
    Fair is fair. This was not much ado over nothing. This was a legitimate concern by a talented and respected actor and her colleagues and fans over the second perceived slight concerning her Oscar. When Halle Barry won they left her off a list at the ceremony celebrating past black winners.
    I deal with clients all day long and I am frequently right in disputes with them but rather than spike the ball I prefer to assure that everyone's dignity stays in tact.
    Facts and the truth matters.Getting it right matters. Respect for people and their body of work matters. I expected more class from the NY Times and both myself and my SAG/AFTRA/Equity actor wife have written to the Times to call them on their ungracious response.
    As the article that you posted clearly shows it is now fashionable to play fast and loose with the truth in print and in the media.
    Whoopi did nothing untowards and the Time squandered an opportunity to show some respect and class.
    Regards,
    Mary

I read the piece and they printed the names of the black actors that won after 2002, not prior.
    Now if they were to write the list of prior to 2002 winners and excluded Whoopi, I would have a problem.
    If they wrote about Hattie Mc Daniel and excluded Whoopi,I would have a problem.
    Why did she feel the need for her name to be mention?
    What is she accussing them of?
    I assumed that Whoopi is accusing them of some kind of racism by not listing all the Oscar Winners.
    That was just my take.
    I put this on here because I do want to know what others think!

Edna St. Vincent Millay

STsFirstmate Guest
    I read the piece and they printed the names of the black actors that won after 2002, not prior.
    Now if they were to write the list of prior to 2002 winners and excluded Whoopi, I would have a problem.
    If they wrote about Hattie Mc Daniel and excluded Whoopi,I would have a problem.
    Why did she feel the need for her name to be mention?
    What is she accusing them of?
    I assumed that Whoopi is accusing them of some kind of racism by not listing all the Oscar Winners.
    That was just my take.
    I put this on here because I do want to know what others think!
    As I said above not once did she ask that her name be printed or take issue with the fact that her name wasn't printed. She took issue as I did with their math. They made a statement that X number of black actors had received the award prior to a certain date and it was off by one and they had mentioned the names of the others so it was clear who was left off. Had the number been accurate then I doubt she would have said anything. They are justifying their number but it requires a very clumsy rendering of the article structure to agree with them.
    Whoopi was the first woman to be nominated and the first woman to win an academy award since Hattie McDaniel's, 50 years and that reflected two nominations (Ghost and the Color Purple) and one win (Ghost).
    Patrick Swayze said in an interview I saw and Whoopi has given him every credit in the world for getting that opportunity for her. The studio wanted a white actress for the psychic (Goldie Hawn and Madeline Kahn) were both the studio pics and Patrick basically said it is Whoopie or I don't do the movie. They caved and the rest is history.
    I am just ticked at how distorted these articles (the piece you posted) are when I heard her words live as she said them and had already read the original article and was already annoyed about it before she ever brought it up.
    Geoffrey Rushe was on the set and he said he has the same problem in that he was the first native born Australian to win an academy award (Shine)and he said even in the Australian Press they mention, Nicolle and Russell but they sometimes leaves him out and he finds it infuriating and painful and he then said his win was fraught with less historical significance than Whoopies so he totally understood why she was hurt.
    There are only 12 EGOT winners and only two of them Minelli and Streisand in addition to Whoopie are EGGOT winners that include a Grammy and Golden Globe as well.
    The list is pretty heady company and she is the only Black artist on the list.
    I just just tired of any lazy blogger or journalist ( not you Coconn, I mean the people who do this for a living and should be accurate and accountable) printing whatever provocative fiction strikes their fancy and people just accept it as fact. It is so hard to unring that bell with the truth. I would like to see the definition of libel rewritten to hold all these folks, right left, Perez and Ariana accountable financially and criminally for the accuracy of what they write. Shame on us the public for not taking some time to fact check what we read. We demand too little of our journalists and we eat too much tripe without a whimper of protest. Just my opinion.
    1. Richard Rodgers (composer): Oscar ('It Might as Well be Spring' from 'State Fair,' 1945); Tony ('South Pacific,' 1950); Grammy ('The Sound of Music,' 1960); Emmy ('Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years,' 1962)

2. Helen Hayes (actress): Oscar ('The Sin of Madelon Claudet,' 1932); Tony ('Addie,' 1947); Emmy (Best Actress for roles including Harriet Beecher Stowe on 'Medallion Theatre,' 1953); Grammy (Best Spoken Word Recording for 'Great American Documents,' 1976).

3. Rita Moreno (actress): Oscar ('West Side Story,' 1961); Grammy (Best Recording for Children, 'The Electric Company,' 1972); Tony ('The Ritz,' 1975); Emmy ('The Muppet Show,' 1977)

4. John Gielgud (actor, director): Tony ('Big Fish, Little Fish,' 1961) ; Grammy ( Best Spoken Word for 'Ages of Man,' 1979); Oscar ('Arthur,' 1981); Emmy ('Summer's Lease,' 1991)

5. Audrey Hepburn (actress): Oscar ('Roman Holiday,' 1953); Tony ('Ondine,' 1954); Emmy ('Gardens of the World with Audrey Hepburn,' 1993); Grammy (Best Spoken Word Children's Album, 'Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales,' 1994)

6. Marvin Hamlisch (composer): Oscar ('The Way We Were' and 'The Sting,' 1973); Grammy ('The Way We Were,' 1974); Tony (1976); Emmy ('Barbra Streisand: The Concert,' 1995).

7. Jonathan Tunick (composer): Oscar ('A Little Night Music,' 1977); Emmy ('Night of 100 Stars,' 1982); Grammy (Best Musical Arrangement, 'No One is Alone,' 1988); Tony (Outstanding Orchestration for 'Passion' 1994)

8. Mel Brooks (writer, director): Oscar (Best Screenplay, 'Bialystock and Bloom,' 1968); Emmy ('Mad About You,' 1997); Grammy ( Best Spoken Comedy Album, 'The 2000 Year Old Man in the Year 2000,' 1998); Tony ('The Producers,' 2001)

9. Mike Nichols (comedian, director, producer): Grammy ('An Evening With Mike Nichols and Elaine May,' 1961); Tony ('Barefoot in the Park,' 1964); Oscar (Best Director, 'The Graduate,' 1967); Emmy (Director, 'Wit,' 2001)

10. Whoopi Goldberg (comedian, actress, host): Grammy (Best Comedy Recording, 'Whoopi: Original Broadway Recording,' 1985); Oscar ('Ghost,' 1990); Emmy ('Beyond Tara: The Extraordinary Live of Hattie McDaniel,' 2002); Tony (Producer, 'Thoroughly Modern Millie,' 2002)

* 11. Barbra Streisand (actress, singer, director): Grammy (Album Of The Year, 'The Barbra Streisand Album,' 1963); Emmy ('My Name Is Barbra,' 1965); Oscar (Best Actress, 'Funny Girl,' 1968); Tony (Special Award, 1970)

* 12. Liza Minnelli (actress, singer): Tony (Best Leading Actress in a Musical, 'Flora the Red Menace,' 1965); Oscar (Best Actress, 'Cabaret,' 1972); Emmy ('Liza with a 'Z,' 1973); Grammy (Grammy Legend Award, 1990)

Sidney Portier was the 1st black actor to win an OSCAR and Lou Gosset JR. was the 2nd.
    I would imagine Sidney would be more upset than Whoopi.
    There was a liitle more progress since Halle and Denzel.
    The point of the article, I thought was just to draw a time between the time 2 black actors have won major acting awards and how little progress was made.
    That was how I interpreted the article.
    Of course Lou Gosset's role didn't say black actor either in'An Officer and a Gentleman' and that was suppose to say progress too.
    I am well aware of Whoopi's contribution.
    I just thought she took it out of the context of the article.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

endsleigh03 Guest
    Pretty good for a girl who came from a housing project in Chelsea. And suffers from Dyslexia. She has no problem saying how she really feels. More people should

An overview of where she came from and what she has achieved. Bottom link has review on For Colored Girls.

http://www.biography.com/articles/Wh...ldberg-9314384

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000155/

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b209...hrives_on.html

STsFirstmate Guest
    Sidney Portier was the 1st black actor to win an OSCAR and Lou Gosset JR. was the 2nd.
    I would imagine Sidney would be more upset than Whoopi.
    There was a liitle more progress since Halle and Denzel.
    The point of the article, I thought was just to draw a time between the time 2 black actors have won major acting awards and how little progress was made.
    That was how I interpreted the article.
    Of course Lou Gosset's role didn't say black actor either in'An Officer and a Gentleman' and that was suppose to say progress too.
    I am well aware of Whoopi's contribution.
    I just thought she took it out of the context of the article.
    You are right I should have said first female black artist. I mispoke. She did not mispeak and was clear about stating Black female artist.
    I found the article you quoted unnecessarily snide and inaccurate. That was my issue. No iisue with you soliciting opinions or anything you stated. I am just annoyed at the state of journalism at the moment. I think new mediums have made news and information faster but the price is less accuracy.
    Regards,
    Mary

The article was from PEOPLE Magazine.
    I usually think their reporting is OK.
    I had issues with one story they reported on in the past that I knew wasn't accurate.
    I had issues also with Whoopi's views in the past.
    I think she takes things out of their context.
    Things like, "It wasn't rape rape".
    I am well aware of her talent and I respect them.
    In this instance, I Don't think they dissed her.
    The had a time period where 2 black actors won the highest award.
    She wanted them to go further back and she brought out her award.
    I know Hattie and Sidney and Lou had historic acheivements as well.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Whoopi finally sat down and actually READ the NYT story?

Whoopi Goldberg apologizes to The New York Times for calling its reporting 'shoddy'

On Wednesday morning’s The View, Whoopi Goldberg apologized for her lengthy criticisms on Monday’s show of a New York Times piece about black Oscar winners.
    “I’m going to apologize to The New York Times for calling their reporting ‘shoddy,’” said Goldberg.
    “I personally found the article really confusing, and I also was quite hurt that Cuba Gooding Jr., Louis Gossett Jr., and myself were not included in this expose about black Hollywood,” she said. “But for saying it was shoddy reporting, I apologize, New York Times

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2011/02/16...-times-oscars/

Edna St. Vincent Millay

STsFirstmate Guest
    Whoopi finally sat down and actually READ the NYT story?

Whoopi Goldberg apologizes to The New York Times for calling its reporting 'shoddy'

On Wednesday morning??s The View, Whoopi Goldberg apologized for her lengthy criticisms on Monday??s show of a New York Times piece about black Oscar winners.
    ??I??m going to apologize to The New York Times for calling their reporting ??shoddy,??? said Goldberg.
    ??I personally found the article really confusing, and I also was quite hurt that Cuba Gooding Jr., Louis Gossett Jr., and myself were not included in this expose about black Hollywood,? she said. ??But for saying it was shoddy reporting, I apologize, New York Times

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2011/02/16...-times-oscars/
    I think she shouldn't have apologized. I wouldn't have done it. It was a very poorly written article. I found ti very difficult to unravel.
    It shouldn't be a riddle to decyfer.
    I lump it in with a letter I received from my town trying to tell me when work was going to be done on our street. I read it , my better half read it and our mechanic read it and we each understood it differently.
    We called for clarification and the woman on the phone couldn't figure it out and we ended up on speaker with two other town employees who got into an argument with each other about what it meant.
    My parting comment was that anything so poorly written than five people could not figure it out was ill conceived and never should have been sent in that format.
    I feel the same way about this article. It may be accurate but it was poorly written from a clarity standpoint.
    Regards,
    Mary

Somehow at the time, Whoopi had Elizabeth and Barbara agreeing with her.
    I don't think Whoopi did this on her own.
    After the NYT release their statement, the officials on the View probably made her do it.
    I have only been in Whoopi's presence one time.
    Whoopi dresses and speaks in a manner that says,'I don't care what you think of me'.
    Strangely enough, when she thought she was being dissed, She cared what people thought of her.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

She almost died from pneumonia and septic shock - stop smoking weed.

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/08/whoop...-septic-shock/