Thread: Peter Sutcliffe, The Yorkshire Ripper

dirk diggler Guest

Peter Sutcliffe, The Yorkshire Ripper

Read this the other day apparently "His" shrink reckons Sutcliff is rehabbed and can be set amongst us again..
    Can just see him now down the local hardware pickin up a new ballpained hammer and some screwdrivers,,
    For work of course!

'Yorkshire Ripper' tries to get released
    March 2, 2010

AFP
    One of Britain's most notorious serial killers, dubbed the Yorkshire Ripper, has begun a bid to be freed from prison.
    Peter Sutcliffe, who was jailed for life in 1981 for the murder of 13 women and seven counts of attempted murder, has applied to the High Court in London to grant him a finite minimum sentence.
    The 63-year-old is being held at the high-security Broadmoor Hospital, west of London, after being transferred from prison in 1984 suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.
    At a preliminary High Court hearing on Monday, Judge John Mitting began deciding what form the full hearing should take, and what evidence should be admitted.
    Sutcliffe's original judge said he must serve a minimum of 30 years behind bars - a period which expires next year.
    The truck driver's murderous campaign against prostitutes and young women in northern England between 1975 and 1980 sparked widespread fear across the country until he was eventually jailed in 1981.
    Eleven of the women Sutcliffe murdered were found in his hometown of west Yorkshire.
    He would batter women over the head with a hammer and stab them in the chest and abdomen with a knife or a screwdriver.
    British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said in February last year that it was "very unlikely" Sutcliffe would be released.
    The court move revolves around a November 2006 medical report by Doctor Kevin Murray, who is treating Sutcliffe.
    The treatment "has had, in Dr Murray's view, very considerable success", said Judge Mitting.
    Since 1993, Sutcliffe had been "relatively responsive to treatment", leading to a conclusion that "so long as treatment continues he should be regarded as posing a low risk of re-offending", the judge said, citing the doctor's report.
    In his report, Murray said it was his "blunt and firm conclusion" that the 1981 verdicts of guilty to murder were wrong.
    If verdicts of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility had been accepted by the prosecution or returned by the jury, then Sutcliffe could have been given an unlimited hospital order.
    Sutcliffe is now known as Peter Coonan.

© 2010 AFP
    Last edited by dirk diggler; 03-09-2010 at 06:13 PM.

heaven01uk Guest
    Lets hope he fails at getting it.

silverwaif77 Guest
    If he is released, he should live with his shrink since the shrink thinks he is "cured".

Uh, no.

If he had just killed one person during some psychotic episode, I could _maybe_ understand the reasoning. However, this is a serial killer. I haven't heard of any other paranoid schizophrenic serial killers, so my guess is he's something else, too (like sociopathic). I love the phrase: "as long as treatment continues". We all know people who decide they're cured and go off their meds. In a more typical case, that might make that person hear voices or get severely suicidal thoughts, but in Sutcliffe's case, the risk is clearly too great. Even playing devil's advocate, I can't see how this is a good idea.

Normally I would think, no way, there's no way they would release this guy. But after what's happened with the 2 wastes of skin that killed little James Bulger, I could see it happening. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't think he will be getting out anytime soon.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

If he does get out, he probably won't live long before someone bumps him off.. hopefully.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

To murder/attempt to murder 20 people should mean that whether or not you overcome your demons and are rehabilitated, you have still given up your right to walk around free, period!

cachluv Guest
    Let's hope so, tamiele.

Lots of people's lawyers say lots of stupid things. Let's hope it's just an attempt and that it doesn't work.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    'I killed her, not the Ripper': Sex offender admits to 1975 murder in scrawled deathbed confession
    'I can't go on with the guilt. I have lived with it for over 20 years'
    A scrawled deathbed confession has cracked a 35-year-old unsolved ritualistic sex killing which was once feared to be the work of the Yorkshire Ripper.
    Wracked with guilt and dying of cancer, convicted sex offender Christopher Smith wrote of his desire to set the record straight and apologised for the pain he has caused. He also begged God for forgiveness for the sake of his family.
    Smith raped and battered to death mother-of-two Joan Harrison, 26, in 1975 - only to evade capture.
    Police initially feared the murder was carried out by Peter Sutcliffe but as inquiries continued, Smith slipped under their radar and disappeared into anonymity as a father and grandfather and seemingly devoted family man.

'God forgive me': Christopher Smith, bottom, confessed to the murder of Joan Harrison, 26, as he lay dying

The note, littered with poor spelling, begins 'Two how ever it concerns' and includes the line 'God forgive me'
    A squad of 80 detectives interviewed almost 100,000 people and took more than 6,000 statements and saliva samples but despite one man being arrested, no-one was ever charged.

Author David Peace has written about this particular case in books and articles. His Red Riding trilogy of novels, which where dramatised for television by Channel 4, were written partly against the backdrop of the Yorkshire Ripper Murders. In them, he argued that the Yorkshire Ripper did not commit the murder.

The case has previously been linked to Wearside Jack, the name given to hoaxer John Samuel Humble, who was jailed in 2006 for perverting the course of justice, while several other theories had also been posited.
    Smith's deathbed confession was found at his family home in Leeds, West Yorks - just five miles from Sutcliffe's hometown of Bradford - after advances in DNA technology matched him to the scene of Joan's murder.
    Smith had a string of criminal convictions ranging from assault to theft to sexual attacks but died in 2008, aged 60 from lung cancer.

He had written the note shortly before his death then hidden in it away in a drawer.
    In the note littered with spelling mistakes he wrote: 'Two how ever it concerns I would like to put the record straight. I can't go on with the guilt.
    'I have lived with it for over 20 years. I am truly sorry for all the pain I have caused to anyone. Please believe me when I say I am sorry.
    'I love my grandkids and my daughter. I cannot go back to prison anymore. Please God help my family who I worship. I have been out of trouble for over 20 years so please God help me. I am so sorry. God forgive me. I love you all forever.'
    Six days before he died, Smith was arrested for drink driving and a swab was taken. After his death the note was recovered and officers then began the process of matching the DNA on the swab with that taken from the crime scene at the time of the murder.

That process has only recently been finished and today Lancashire Police confirmed they have now closed the file on Joan after informing her family who are being offered support by trained officers.
    The mother-of-two's partially naked body was found in a disused garage in Preston, Lancs, November 1975. She had been raped and beaten to death.
    Her killer had left a deep bite mark on her left breast, stolen her jewellery and ritually placed some of her clothing and shoes in positions repeated in later murders.
    Three years later, as Peter Sutcliffe spread terror across the north of England, police received letters from a man saying he was the feared serial killer and claiming 26-year-old Joan as his victim.

The partially naked body of Mrs Harrison was found in this disused garage in Preston, Lancashire

The garage lies behind these doors. The photograph was taken by scenes of crime officers in 1975

But when Sutcliffe was arrested in 1981 evidence at the crime scene ruled him out of the investigation. Ripper hoaxer John Humble - known as Wearside Jack - who was once suspected of the murder, was also eliminated.
    Joan was drinking heavily, taking drugs and having casual sex to pay for her addictions after two failed marriages.
    She was last seen walking the badly-lit streets into the town centre on her way to have a late-night drink just before 10.30pm. Her body was discovered two days later dumped in a lock-up garage.
    In 1978 detectives in West Yorkshire received a letter, signed 'Jack the Ripper', hinting at responsibility for Joan's murder. It taunted: 'Up to number eight now, you say seven but remember Preston 1975, get about a bit you know.'
    The letter, two further notes, a tape and forensic evidence from them wrongly linked her death to the Ripper.

But when Sutcliffe, now serving life in Broadmoor hospital for murdering 13 women and attacking several others, was ruled out, the investigation was back to square one.
    Then in 2001 police questioned a 59-year-old man living in a London hostel alleged to have been seen in The Balmoral pub on Manchester Road, Avenham, where Mrs Harrison was drinking the night she disappeared.
    He was alleged to have left the pub and returned with a blood-stained shirt and was said to have tried to sell a gold ring belonging to Joan the following day. The man was later released without charge.
    Lancashire Police said advances in forensic techniques have allowed the interpretation of DNA found at the original scene to reveal sufficient evidence that would have led to Smith being charged with murder.
    Det Chief Supt Graham Gardner said: 'This has been a long running and complex homicide enquiry for the Constabulary.
    'Joan lost her life in a most brutal way and despite the enormous efforts of all those originally involved, no charges were ever brought.
    'Advances in DNA interpretation over the years has finally allowed us to identify Smith as the man at the scene of Joan's murder.
    'That fact, coupled with other evidence we have gathered over recent months, has been sufficient to convince the Crown Prosecution Service that Smith would have been charged with her murder, had he been alive today.' 'It is with some regret that Smith is not still alive to stand trial for his crime. One can only try to imagine the sadness endured by Joan's family over the years and I truly hope this development will finally bring some closure surrounding their tragic loss.'
    John Dilworth, head of CPS Lancashire and Cumbria Complex Casework Unit, said: 'This recent development has revealed evidence that would have been sufficient to prosecute Christopher Smith, if he were alive.
    'Had Mr Smith lived, my decision would have authorised the police to begin the legal process by charging him. The CPS agreed to look at the evidence on a deceased suspect because of the very exceptional circumstances of this case.'

The song "Nightshift" by Siouxsie and the Banshees is based on this guys murders.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

tarsier Guest
    If he gets out I can only hope he moves to Dr. Kevin Murray's hometown. I always wonder how sure of the "cure" these guys would be if they had to have these guys living next door.

on the brink of death - about time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rt-attack.html

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Hope he doesn't linger like that bitch Atkins
    Last edited by shipmatekate; 11-07-2014 at 09:52 AM.

15. 11-07-2014, 12:59 AM

1karenhb Guest
    Boo Hoo. Rot in hell.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Hope he doesn't linger like that bitch Atkins
    Lingering = suffering. I'm good with that

he is going to change his name to avoid his grave being desecrated - just die first

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-grave.html

Boohoo
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post

I wish he wasn't. Rotting in prison seems worse. He refused treatment and got his wish, dammit

Pure evil. Burn you SOB.

YES glad he is dead.

Hope local police will keep in touch with
    each other in the future.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

There was just a report about him today in the media. The police have apologised because of language used at the time. One senior detective was quoted as saying (the killer) "has made it clear he hates prostitutes, many people do, but the Ripper is now killing innocent girls." something many including media agreed with.

There is also a story from The Sun who have managed to get their hands on prison letters and secret tapes where he talked about the attacks.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/131948...serial-killer/

Oh and I almost forgot....good riddance. He deserves to rot in Hell.

I hoped he died a long painful death.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.