Thread: Sports Star Darrell Porter

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest

Sports Star Darrell Porter

Everyone should read about Darrell Porter on wikipedia. My childhood sports idol, catcher for the St. Louis Cardinals, World Series MVP for 1982 world series, top of the world at one point. Former drug addict who became the poster-child spokesperson for the wonders of drug-treatment and recovery. As it turns out, his participation in the drug-recovery and post-addict public relations campaign that he basically led for years and years, was all B.S. People say he never actually quit the drugs.

He was found dead in a park from cocaine overdose in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Porter

But on August 5, 2002, he left home, saying he was going to buy a newspaper and go to the park. He was found dead in Sugar Creek, Missouri, outside his vehicle that evening. An autopsy said he had died of "toxic effects of cocaine" [1]; the level of cocaine in his system, consistent with recreational use, induced a condition called excited delirium that caused his heart to stop. He was 50 years old.
    Last edited by Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger; 11-16-2007 at 09:36 AM.

I remember that case. Vey sad. I am a huge STL fan. Remember Len Bias? He was a up-and-coming basketball star that had just been drafted into the NBA. Apparently he died during a coacine binge. I don't recall anything being said about him being a habitual user. Just partied too hard one night.

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    I believe Len Bias died here in DC. I recall it being a very big deal here on the local news back in probably 85.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    I remember that case. Vey sad. I am a huge STL fan. Remember Len Bias? He was a up-and-coming basketball star that had just been drafted into the NBA. Apparently he died during a coacine binge. I don't recall anything being said about him being a habitual user. Just partied too hard one night.
    Yep. That's one reason why I never ever will do cocaine. I don't wanna risk it.