Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Thread: National Hockey League (NHL)

pvezz Guest
    Toronto and Detroit are being nationally televised tonight on Versus! WHOO WHOOO!

401402 Guest
    any good nhl spotrs forums? out there

pvezz Guest
    Incidentally, for those of you who are Penguin fans, this is a MUST-VIEW site!

www.thepensblog.com

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    That's cool, Whammer!

First Penguin home game of the season tomorrow night! Bring it on!!
    I'm going tonight. Pre-season game, $5.00 ticket (for plan holders), all seats general admission. I'm gonna get down by the glass.

Toronto and Detroit are being nationally televised tonight on Versus! WHOO WHOOO!
    Oh great. So we're going to get embarassed internationally now.
    Last edited by duster; 10-10-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Or great. So we're going to get embarassed internationally now.
    Hey, ya never know, Duster. This year could be the Leaf's season. Look how long the Red Wings were the joke of the League. Now they're the team to hate, unless their players get traded to your favorite team!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    Hey, ya never know, Duster. This year could be the Leaf's season. Look how long the Red Wings were the joke of the League. Now they're the team to hate, unless their players get traded to your favorite team!
    Well thanks for the words of encouragement WhatTha. But there is no chance. Teams like the wings and the pens and the flyers didn't get good by accident. Great scouting, great player development, great systems and coaching are what work. We've had none of that for 41 years. Although when we get Brian Burke as GM next year I do expect things will turn around. The Leafs jettisoned many of the veteran staple players in the off season and did some really creative manoevring on draft day to get Luke Schenn at #5. So maybe there's hope for the future. I remember quite clearly the days when I was a little boy & the Leafs would win the Cup routinely. Sad what's happened...

pvezz Guest
    I have to say that the Leaf fans are the most VORACIOUS fans in hockey (except for Pens fans - lol) - their fans travel well and support the team in spite of the fact that the Leafs haven't won a Cup since right before I was born!

I have to say that the Leaf fans are the most VORACIOUS fans in hockey (except for Pens fans - lol) - their fans travel well and support the team in spite of the fact that the Leafs haven't won a Cup since right before I was born!
    I was 8 the last time they won. And we do tend to be a bit fanatical about the Leafs. Despite everything. But I think fans in most of the established hockey markets - including Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (although once in a while you hear "stories" about Phillie fans - and Philliefan if you're here, I'm not talking about yoou ) are pretty good. Although in the spring, Canadian fans out West tend to riot in the streets when their teams get knocked out of theplayoffs. They do it in Montreal too LOL.

pvezz Guest
    Holy crap! Brian Engblom (sp?) cut off his mullet!!!

401402 Guest
    i'm trying to find it off google and nhl .com right now

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 401402 View Post
    i'm trying to find it off google and nhl .com right now

I tried to find a pic online but they're all mullet pics - he is on TV right now on Versus, "Hockey Central".

401402 Guest
    ahhh i just saw him on versus/ colorado / comcast hd channel 29

pvezz Guest
    Ugh - just watched them raise the Stanley Cup Champion banner.....the Pens aren't raising one. Guess they wanna wait til they win the whole deal.

I have to admit I got misty eyed when I seen gordie Howe and Ted lindsey bring out that banner.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I have to admit I got misty eyed when I seen gordie Howe and Ted lindsey bring out that banner.

OK, I'll admit it. That was WAY cool.

cubbiecatz Guest
    Oh you gotta go for the Blackhawks, Cubbie! - they're young as hell & they're going to be really exciting this year. They picked up Brian Campbell in the offseason - arguably one of the top three defencemen in the league. They also have Patrick Kane and Jack Skille (two American kids who are both pure gold, although Kane is better), Johnathan Toews (it's pronounced Taves, rhymes with waves) who I think will score more than 30-40 goal this season. Tons of ppotential.

Ok, but if they suck I'm holding you responsible

pvezz Guest
    OMG - Two to zip, the Leafs! Duster must be lovin' this!

401402 Guest
    haha go canada

401402 Guest
    ahhh detroit just scored 2-1

pvezz Guest
    They scored as soon as I posted! LOL!

401402 Guest
    yep

endsleigh03 Guest
    Darn it, missed most of the game and then they lost.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Thought they were gonna tie it up on that last power play.......

kimba Guest
    I was 8 the last time they won. And we do tend to be a bit fanatical about the Leafs.
    I was 11.
    and STILL love my Leafs.
    Be interesting to see how last season's shakeups motivate the team. And of course- no Mats.

Trivia: my first cousin was married to one of the '67 Leafs, uh..brother. Yep.
    Bob Nevin...at least I think he was a 67 Leafs..hmmm...maybe I should check!

ooops:
    He WAS a member of 2 Stanley Cup teams, but only played for the Leafs until '65- at which point he was traded to New York. At any rate:
    I remember having a tiny Maple leaf shirt with his number 11 sewn on it!!!
    Last edited by kimba; 10-09-2008 at 07:16 PM.

STRAIGHT Guest
    Red Wings are going to win it all again you slaves to torment!!!! Ahahahaha!!!!

I am still in shock. And speechless. And ecstatic. 3-2 Leafs. Who'd a thought?

401402 Guest
    haha

endsleigh03 Guest
    well, ok, that's good but

Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    no. we won.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    no. we won.
    LoL, I know, I know.

401402 Guest
    go van

pvezz Guest

LOL - I was thinking about you when I was watching the game - LOL

34. 10-10-2008, 07:13 AM

pvezz Guest
    http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/hockey/archive/2008/10/09/malkin-says-he-s-no-radulov-so-he-turned-dow-massive-offer.aspx

Evgeni Malkin was apparently offered an obnoxious sum of money to go back to Russia and play; he turned it down. Can you say "J-a-r-o-m-i-r J-a-g-r"??

LOL - I was thinking about you when I was watching the game - LOL
    Ha! I was on pins and needles, especially in the last two minutes. I was sure the Leafs were going to find a way to blow it. But these guys are all young, and all new, and I think they don't know about the Leafs' tradition of playing losing hockey...That really was a very touching ceremony at the beginning though, eh? I love seeing the older guys.

But did you see the guy from def leopard put the cup on a table on the stage UPSIDE DOWN? I was absolutely apalled. That's like flying the flag upside down

pvezz Guest
    OMG - he put it upside down?? I must've missed that! I'm surprised he didn't spontaneously combust!

But did you see the guy from def leopard put the cup on a table on the stage UPSIDE DOWN? I was absolutely apalled. That's like flying the flag upside down
    an asshat has managed to do that in the past as well

Sports Trivia
    On October 18th, during the pre-game ceremony for the second game of the 1992 World Series between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Atlanta Braves, a U.S. Marine Corps colour guard mistakenly presented the Canadian flag upside-down.
    The Toronto Blue Jays went on to win the game 5-4 to even the series at one game each.

Source: Yahoo News
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

401402 Guest

yep

all is good

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    an asshat has managed to do that in the past as well

Sports Trivia
    On October 18th, during the pre-game ceremony for the second game of the 1992 World Series between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Atlanta Braves, a U.S. Marine Corps colour guard mistakenly presented the Canadian flag upside-down.
    The Toronto Blue Jays went on to win the game 5-4 to even the series at one game each.

Source: Yahoo News
    I remember that - I was watching that game. What a huge stink there was in the media after that! I was thinking, chill out people. Honest mistake.

OMG - he put it upside down?? I must've missed that! I'm surprised he didn't spontaneously combust!
    Yeah it was either right before they performed or right after. He's obviously not familiar with hockey though. How could you mistake the Stanley Cup's top from its bottom?!!?!?!? (I think they might be Brits)

pvezz Guest
    Yeah it was either right before they performed or right after. He's obviously not familiar with hockey though. How could you mistake the Stanley Cup's top from its bottom?!!?!?!? (I think they might be Brits)

Yes, they are British. I was just wondering how the Cup wouldn't tip over? It's a TAD bottom-heavy, eh?

I saw their first song before the Leafs/Wings game started, then I turned the channel before they performed afterwards. Loved me some Def Leppard back in the day, but they need to hang up their mics. Poor Joe Elliott can't even sing anymore.

Hey, ya never know, Duster. This year could be the Leaf's season.
    Just remember where you heard this, first!
    But, what the (blank) happened with the AVS last night??? It's the first time in franchise history, that they lost their season opening game, when they've been on home ice! Not a good way to start the season!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Just remember where you heard this, first!
    But, what the (blank) happened with the AVS last night??? It's the first time in franchise history, that they lost their season opening game, when they've been on home ice! Not a good way to start the season!
    HAHA! You got that right, What...A tip of the hat to ya. To bad about the Avs. Don;t they have goalie problsm? And some aging stars?

pvezz Guest
    I missed the Av's game; how did Sakic look?

Sakic looked good. Can't believe he's retiring at the end of this season. Duster, The Avs traded last season's starting goalie, Jose Theodore. He now plays for Washington. Theodore's backup goalie last year, Peter Budaj, is now the Avs starter. He is amazing, when he's on his game, but he's still kinda young and tends to run hot and cold at times. The Avs now have Andrew Raycroft as their backup goalie. They got him from the Leafs. What can you tell me about him, Duster? Is he any good?
    All in all, I thought it was a good game. Boston scored first, but everytime they scored, the Avs were able to answer back. I thought they looked pretty good on the power plays, too. Milan Hejduk, Marek Svatos and Wojtek Wolski played great, in my opinion. But, in the end it came down to who scored last. Next, they face Edmonton on Sunday. Hopefully, this game doesn't set the tone for the rest of the season.

401402 Guest
    i hope not either

Sakic looked good. Can't believe he's retiring at the end of this season. Duster, The Avs traded last season's starting goalie, Jose Theodore. He now plays for Washington. Theodore's backup goalie last year, Peter Budaj, is now the Avs starter. He is amazing, when he's on his game, but he's still kinda young and tends to run hot and cold at times. The Avs now have Andrew Raycroft as their backup goalie. They got him from the Leafs. What can you tell me about him, Duster? Is he any good?
    All in all, I thought it was a good game. Boston scored first, but everytime they scored, the Avs were able to answer back. I thought they looked pretty good on the power plays, too. Milan Hejduk, Marek Svatos and Wojtek Wolski played great, in my opinion. But, in the end it came down to who scored last. Next, they face Edmonton on Sunday. Hopefully, this game doesn't set the tone for the rest of the season.
    So THAT'S where Raycroft wound up. Raycroft basically got run out of Toronto on a rail. Here's what happened: He won the Calder in his rookie year with Boston, but in his second season - also with Boston - he kind of blew chunks. Even so, John Ferguson Jr. (who has since been fired as Leafs' GM) picked him up and paid him a huge salary. He responded with a very average season. Last season he split the job with Toskala, but every time Raycroft played he was REALLY shaky, and he seemed to get booed a lot. Trawna is a REALLY tough place to play - there's tons of scrutiny and intense criticism by the public and the media. Maybe Raycroft will bounce back this year, in a less crazy environment. But I doubt it. I think he was a one-season-wonder.

Oh great, Duster. So happy to read that. (not!) PAAATRICKKK, PLEASE COME OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!! The AVS need you, badly!!! We don't care how many doors you destroy in your own home!

pvezz Guest
    Oh great, Duster. So happy to read that. (not!) PAAATRICKKK, PLEASE COME OUT OF RETIREMENT!!!! The AVS need you, badly!!! We don't care how many doors you destroy in your own home!

LMAO! ^5, girl!

One other thing: The woman who does the Wings anthems? I believe her name is Karen Newman or something like that - she is the next Mrs. Duster. Smokin' hot...
    Voila:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newman.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	8661