Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arlis Perry - Hunted, Stalked, and Slain

Arlis Perry - Hunted, Stalked, and Slain

Not a lot of info about Arlis Perry out there. If you want to read more about it and other so-called cult (The Process) murders I recommend The Ultimate Evil by Maury Terry, who supposedly links Arlis's murder to the Son of Sam and Tate/LaBianca butchery. You can buy it on amazon.com.

This from Wiki:

Arlis Perry, a newlywed 19-year-old North Dakota native, was killed in Stanford Memorial Church on the grounds of Stanford University on October 12, 1974. Her murder remains unsolved as of late 2009.
    She was found murdered with an ice pick in the church in the early morning hours of October 13, 1974. Perry was sexually assaulted with altar candles.

David Berkowitz, the notorious "Son of Sam" killer from New York City, mentioned the Perry murder in a few letters, suggesting that he heard details of the crime from "Manson II", the culprit. In the San Jose Mercury News, Jessie Seyfer noted that "investigators interviewed [Berkowitz] in prison and now believe he has nothing of value to offer" regarding the Perry case.

Her murder is notable because she is among a small but important genre of murders, which is women killed at elite universities, possibly by known or inside assailants. A second notable slaying in this category was that of Annie Le at Yale in September, 2009.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Arlis and Bruce Perry grew up in Bismark, North Dakota. They were high school sweethearts and devout born again Christians. When Bruce graduated high school he went off to collage at Stanford. While he was gone that first year, Arlis visited a Process cult area and tried to convert the members to Christ.

At the end of the year when she graduated high school Arlis and Bruce married and she joined him at stanford, where he was studying to become a doctor. They lived in a dorm for married couples. With his studies and working, he didn't have a lot of time for her and she was restless until she got a job as a receptionist at a law firm.

Arlis loved to take walks on the Stanford campas at night, but quit when Bruce advised her it might not be a good idea. One night she wrote some letters and decided to mail them. He went with her and they got into an argument about who was going to put air in a tire of their car. So Bruce went back to the dorm and Arlis continued on, stopping to pray at the Stanford Memorial Church. Several people saw her there, and when the security guard advised that it was almost midnight and time to lock the doors she did not leave as the others did. As the last people walked out the door they saw a sandy haired man walk inside.

By and by, when Arlis didn't return home, Bruce got worried and went to look for her, couldn't find her, and reported her missing.

Terry says:

She was found lying on her back, with her body partially under he first pew in the left side of the alcove, a short distance from where she had been seen praying. Above her was a large carving which had been sculptured into the church wall years before. It was an engraving of the cross. The symbolism was explicit.

Arlis head was facing forward, toward the main alter. Her legs were spread wide apart, and she was nude from the waist down. The legs of her blue jeans were spread eagled upside down across her calves, purposely arranged in that manner. Viewed from above, the resulting pattern Arlis's legs and the inverted blue jeans took on a diamond-like shape.

Arlis blouse was torn open, and her arms were folded across her chest. Placed neatly between her breasts was an alter candle. Completing the desecration, another candle, thirty inches long, was jammed into her vagina. She had been beaten and choked. Death was due to her an ice pick being rammed into her skull behind her left ear, the handle protruding grotesquely from her head.

At her funeral a co worker was confused when he saw Bruce, who did not look like the man he thought was Arlis's husband. At work he had noticed a man come in to speak with her and they got into a heated argument. He figured it was a tiff between the newlyweds. Actually, that was not Bruce, but the man did fit the description of the sandy haired man seen entering the church the night Arlis was brutally murdered.

It has been speculated that the killer was a member of the Bismark Process cult and that he had stalked her to Stanford to killer her because she had tried to convert his members to Christ.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-14-2009 at 09:16 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

l
    Last edited by charlesmansonsbabygirl; 03-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

I read the book years ago and was fascinated and haunted by Arlis story. I bought it again just so I could post a more detailed thread about her here.

Berkowitz admitted killing three and the other murders were done by Michael Carr and the blonde guy, whom he called Manson II, who was associated with Charles Manson. Manson II is suposedly the one who killed Arlis and had a hand in killing Roy Radin of the Cotton Club movie deal gone sour, for him anyway.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Stanford University Campus with Stanford Memorial Church in background

Last edited by cindyt; 11-14-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Stanford Memorial Church

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Inside Stanford Memorial Church

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Arlis Perry murder solved?

Here's a bit more information and a theory that may solve the case.

Arlis Perry was killed, in Memorial Church, at Stanford, October 1974. She had been poised in a ritualistic fashion. The cause of death was an ice pick behind her left ear. Maury Terry wrote a book,
    The Ultimate Evil, in which he pinned the murder on this nationwide satanic cult, called "The process
    church of the final judgment." He tied this group to Son of Sam, David Berkowitz, and Charles Manson. I believe this book to be total disinfo, concerning the Arlis Perry murder anyway. It's a white wash and cover up, to throw suspiscions away from the true murderers.

Arlis was a Christian woman. During the staging of her body, an altar candle was inserted into her sex organ. This completed the symbolism. Her pants was going back, legs up, across her calves. Her legs, spread eagle.

This is clearly the staging of her body as the Master Mason's Symbol of Freemasonry.

Her legs are the compass. Her pants are the square. And the altar candle is the "Generating Principle of life," or the "G" in the Master Mason's Symbol.

That G does not stand for God. It stands for the male sex organ; the generating principle of life. Arlis was a lady. She didn't have a penis. So, the altar candle was inserted, completing the symbolism.

Am I saying Freemasons killed her? Maybe. Or it may of been a group trying to make it LOOK as if the Freemasons killed her.

Incidently, her husband, Bruce Perry went on to become Dr. Bruce Perry; the Chief Psychiatrist that interviewed the surviving children of the Bill Clinton Murders of the Church at Waco. The Branch Davidians; an offshoot of the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg01810.html
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-14-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

9. 11-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Diagram detailing position of Arlis's body

GOD IS NOT DEAD

Trivia
    -Arlis usually wore glasses and her hair straight. In the pic at the top of this thread she is not wearing glasses and her hair is styled kind of wavy. No one, not even her family, nor her husband, had ever seen her like this, nor had anyone ever seen this pic of her. No one knows where or when it was taken. Strange.

-Arlis may have known her killer as a cult member back in Bismark, ND. It has been speculated that she may have had a meeting with him (arranged when he appeared at her work place) and that is why she didn't leave the church when the security guard annonced the door were fixing to be locked. If so, she may have intended on walking out alone that night and was pissed at Bruce for going with her, thus the argument to send him away. Why would she meet him? We will probably never know. But maybe that was why she and her killer got into the argument at her work place. Maybe he insisted they meet that night, but she didn't want to, and he somehow forced her into going. Makes sense to me.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

punklove Guest
    Ive only read the first posting so far and I cannot believe Ive never heard of her before, I wonder why that is? Ill comment again when I finish reading but I just found it strange that such a weird thing happened and I never heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by punklove View Post
    Ive only read the first posting so far and I cannot believe Ive never heard of her before, I wonder why that is? Ill comment again when I finish reading but I just found it strange that such a weird thing happened and I never heard about it.
    I know it, especially for the times. I have read TONS of true crime books in my day and I had never heard of it either until I read MT's book.

So how did Berkowitz know about it? Spooky.

I entered my freshman year of collage in the summer of 1975, less than a year after she was murdered. My dorm was all the hell and gone at one edge of the campus. One of my courses was held at night, yet I thought nothing of walking to class, going to the library, to the snack cafe, etc. That spooks me now just thinking of what could have happened.

OT. My dorm was four stories high, front door and lobby, which was locked to visitors at 10pm and the receptionist would let students in after that. The back door exist was locked at all times, but some students would prop it open with a telephone book or something so they could go in that way instead of the front door. I thought nothing of it...until I read Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me where Bundy sneaked in and killed those sorority girls. OMG, I had nightmares thinking about someone sneaking into our dorm and doing something like that. Fortunately that was a few years before Bundy and the book of course wasn't out. But. One of my roomies told me that some killer called the Tennis Shoe murdered had been seen on campus before I attended. I don't know if she was bullshitting me or not. You know what? For some reason, maybe because serial murder was relatively rare in those days and the phrase "serial killer" was not coined until Ted Bundy, I wasn't scared at the thought of a killer spotted on campus.
    Last edited by cindyt; 11-14-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

GODDESS6 Guest
    i run a home daycare & one of the boys that i have watched for 4 years has a sister, gabi who plays volleyball for stanford, she is so good she received a full ride for playing anywho, i will be seeing her when she comes home for christmas & i am going to ask her if & any thing she has heard about this~

thanx for the post, & i'll have to check out the book, i love, love stories like this~

I doubt she's heard of it, but maybe so. According to several sites Stanford has a history of murder on campus. If I had a daughter in collage I'd be nuts. When my youngest niece entered her freshman year I was just worried to death about her, especially since she and a friend were living in a house, not a dorm. The house was on campus, but the campus was in a bad part of town. I just had to let that worry go. They grow up and fly away. What can you do?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Hagitha Guest
    I remember reading the book and about Arlis' murder but I didn't remember or know anything about the symbolism in the way her body was left. I may need to read that book again. Thanks for the thread it's an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagitha View Post
    I remember reading the book and about Arlis' murder but I didn't remember or know anything about the symbolism in the way her body was left. I may need to read that book again. Thanks for the thread it's an interesting one.
    You're very welcome.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Pamebabby Guest
    Cindy, I read the Ultimate Evil, and was fascinated by this murder. I truly believe Arlis was a victim of a "cult" killing, and should have been investigated much more. Thanks for bringing this up, we need to remember still water runs deep.

LE believe what they want to believe, and most times will not investigate the possibility of cult activity.

Roy Radin's murder is typical police thunk. The motive for his murder was the Cotten Club. Elaine Jacobs and Bob Evans wanted him to take a 2 mill to sever his dealings in the movie, but he flatly refused. So he was killed. But the police refused to buy that and put it down as a drugs. Drugs and money were stolen from Jacobs house and Jacobs accused RR, but I think that was a set up. Anyway, an open Bible turned to Isaiah 20 was found near his body--CSI missed it, but Terry found it. Typical cult activity.

And even though Arlis death was typical cult murder, with the signs all around her, LE claims she was killed by a random nut.

Some of them just don't see it. I know that sounds wild, but it's true. Take for instance the Green River investigation. 40 or move women were found before the investigators linked them. It's called linkage blindness. Same thing happened during the Atlanta Child Murders. I watched it come down. I'd go somewhere on the weekend, come back, turn on the news and there was a pic of a little black child who was either missing or found murdered and the anchor would say "Police do not believe this child, or any of the children, are linked." WTF? You got a dozen and counting dead kids and they aren't connected? I called it bullshit and I was right.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Cindy, what a great thread! I love how you've got the piccies, and various info sources, all on here. It's like reading a FAD entry. Nice job!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

punklove Guest
    Completing the desecration, another candle, thirty inches long, was jammed into her vagina.
    Jeez.

I have a terrible question, Well two of them honestly. Please tell me she was dead before the candle was 'jammed' and also, I hope Im misreading - but only a part of the 30 inche candle was 'jammed' right?

The thought of this wound makes me remember the crime scene photo of Mary Sullivan, one of the boston strangler victims. She had a broom 'jammed' into her vagina and to this day I wish Id never have seen it. Ive seen some very hard core photos and for some reason that one just really bothers me.

Jeez.

I have a terrible question, Well two of them honestly. Please tell me she was dead before the candle was 'jammed' and also, I hope Im misreading - but only a part of the 30 inche candle was 'jammed' right?

The thought of this wound makes me remember the crime scene photo of Mary Sullivan, one of the boston strangler victims. She had a broom 'jammed' into her vagina and to this day I wish Id never have seen it. Ive seen some very hard core photos and for some reason that one just really bothers me.

God I hope it was only a part of the candle.

I'm with you on the Boston Strangler pic. I can look at Pez Dispenser Porche girl for hours, but that picture really haunts me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I can look at Pez Dispenser Porche girl for hours,
    Oh my. Will I burn for giggling at that?

I read "The Ultimate Evil" once and had a bit of a hard time getting through it. Some of the stuff is a little too out there for me. Like the book I read about the Girly Chew case and the aliens and all the weird shit in it. But I do own "The Ultimate Evil" and will definitely give it a re-read in the future.

When I was reading this thread, the Masonic symbol came to my mind when I was reading about the "diamond shape" of her body and jeans's layout. I don't remember if "The Ultimate Evil" went into that, though.

Interesting that her hubby interviewed the Waco kids. I will be reading more into this online as well as re-reading the book.

Great post, Cindy!

Lisamarie Guest
    I saw that boston strangler pic its awful...so wait this pic was one the family never saw before?

Jeez.

I read back through the chapter and it doesn't say if she was alive or not when the candle was shoved, nor how far it was jammed into her vagina. No autopsy info.

I saw the pic of Mary Sullivan with the broom handle jammed into her vagina. It upset me, too. And I think it is upsetting because we are women and the thought of being invaded like that is horrific. It has been said that rape--by penis or object--is a little murder of the soul, and I agree. Murder the soul, murder the body...
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Pamebabby View Post
    Cindy, I read the Ultimate Evil, and was fascinated by this murder. I truly believe Arlis was a victim of a "cult" killing, and should have been investigated much more. Thanks for bringing this up, we need to remember still water runs deep.
    This case screamed Cult Killing but the police didn't see it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Cindy, what a great thread! I love how you've got the piccies, and various info sources, all on here. It's like reading a FAD entry. Nice job!
    I do try to make my threads a la Scott, especially when a subject fascinates the hell out of me.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I'm with you on the Boston Strangler pic. I can look at Pez Dispenser Porche girl for hours, but that picture really haunts me
    The movie scared the living shit out of me. I could barely watch it. I was young and things like this just didn't happen back then. I can't remember all the details, but when the strangler (Tony Curtis) was in that phone booth, calling one of the victims? I was literally shaking. Lol.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgrrl View Post

I read "The Ultimate Evil" once and had a bit of a hard time getting through it. Some of the stuff is a little too out there for me. Like the book I read about the Girly Chew case and the aliens and all the weird shit in it. But I do own "The Ultimate Evil" and will definitely give it a re-read in the future.

When I was reading this thread, the Masonic symbol came to my mind when I was reading about the "diamond shape" of her body and jeans's layout. I don't remember if "The Ultimate Evil" went into that, though.

Interesting that her hubby interviewed the Waco kids. I will be reading more into this online as well as re-reading the book.

Great post, Cindy!
    Thank you. I think the book hit on truth, but I don't buy into all of it. I really enjoyed the first read, but the second time all that Berkowitz yap bored me to death. I was more interested in reading about Arlis Perry, Roy Radin, and the Tate/LaBianca tie ins.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The young lady paid dearly for her serious presumption that, as a highly devout teenager from ND, she could walk into a gathering of equally devout cultists and convince them to convert to HER way of thinking.

She especially seemed to have personal issues with this one sandy-haired chap. Was he one of the leaders, or someone she may have been interested in particularly, that she would have dared to keep provoking these people?

Given that she was a teenaged bride who'd already experienced some conflicts in her marriage, and was at a huge sophisticated university, could it have been a repressed romantic attraction that drove her? Or did she have friends/relatives involved that she hoped to "rescue"?

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    The young lady paid dearly for her serious presumption that, as a highly devout teenager from ND, she could walk into a gathering of equally devout cultists and convince them to convert to HER way of thinking.

She especially seemed to have personal issues with this one sandy-haired chap. Was he one of the leaders, or someone she may have been interested in particularly, that she would have dared to keep provoking these people?

Given that she was a teenaged bride who'd already experienced some conflicts in her marriage, and was at a huge sophisticated university, could it have been a repressed romantic attraction that drove her? Or did she have friends/relatives involved that she hoped to "rescue"?
    Whatever this girl did because of her religious beliefs, she did not deserve to die for it. Every step you take in life leads somewhere, whether it is spreading what you believe or missing a turnoff.

All the questions that you have posed have no answer that has ever been revealed. Someone knows the truth.

She was restless while her husband studied and went to classes all the time, and just maybe this sandy haired man came into her life then and she may have had a flirtation with him. It's possible. But it is believed he came from Bismark to California to kill her.

I personally believe the sandy haired man was Manson II, and that Arlis met him at the cult in Bismark. I also believe she may have known something that he and the cult didn't want reveal and he shut her up.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

punklove Guest

Im glad Im not the only one - I dont know why some pictures just feel so much worse than others, I think before the Mary Sullivan one I just didnt understand that something could be so... inserted. I only glanced at it and quickly closed the page but I was just sick about it.

punklove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I read back through the chapter and it doesn't say if she was alive or not when the candle was shoved, nor how far it was jammed into her vagina. No autopsy info.

I saw the pic of Mary Sullivan with the broom handle jammed into her vagina. It upset me, too. And I think it is upsetting because we are women and the thought of being invaded like that is horrific. It has been said that rape--by penis or object--is a little murder of the soul, and I agree. Murder the soul, murder the body...

I really just never thought anything could be inserted that far, I know it seems.. tactless to put it like that but my god the broom was so far inside, Its just unthinkable.

I think that it must be partly that as a woman the idea of something like that happening is so horrible that most people would never even think of such a thing. I just really hope that she was dead before he did that. Also, the pose was so.. evil. He apparently like to get a lot of shock value and with her, leaving her legs spread wide and all that, its just pitiful. Like even in death she wasnt given any respect.

punklove Guest
    This case screamed Cult Killing but the police didn't see it.

Its always strange to me when they dont see connections between things. Its no different than the Tate/Labianca stuff where although it was clearly similar (even both stories sharing the front page of the paper) no body EVER put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgrrl View Post

It's ok I'm driving the bus. Wanna watch Shaun of the Dead on the drive down?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Let me just bump this....
    This case bothered me when I read about it too. being killed is bad enough but being killed in a church is just ...wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm709 View Post
    Let me just bump this....
    This case bothered me when I read about it too. being killed is bad enough but being killed in a church is just ...wrong.
    I agree, Jim. It's just horrifying. I know there have been equally worse deaths via serial killer, but this was in a church. One reason it chills me is that there was huge church on my collage campus. It wasn't so richly laid out, but I can look at the pic of the inside of Sanford Memorial and it is the way our church was laid out--not exactly, but enough to make me shudder.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Bump for those who might have missed it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

punklove Guest
    Bump for those who might have missed it.
    Has anyone seen any other photos of her? Its so weird that something like that would happen but there is hardly anything about it; typically youd find loads of stuff on the net.

Pamebabby Guest
    Cindy, great thread. Just wanted to ask-have you read Bad Company? It's a good book about Roy Radin, and goes into details about Elaine Jacobs and Bob Evans' involvement. I have the book somewhere, can't remember the author, but I'm sure, if you don't have it, it would be easy to find. Actually, the Ultimate Evil, and it's chapters on Manson 2, is what got me interested in the Radin case. So I guess this isn't OT after all!

Has anyone seen any other photos of her? Its so weird that something like that would happen but there is hardly anything about it; typically youd find loads of stuff on the net.
    I have googled her image and apparently no other photo exists, and what is spooky to me is that no one knows who took this one pic or where it was taken, because that is not how she normally looked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamebabby View Post
    Cindy, great thread. Just wanted to ask-have you read Bad Company? It's a good book about Roy Radin, and goes into details about Elaine Jacobs and Bob Evans' involvement. I have the book somewhere, can't remember the author, but I'm sure, if you don't have it, it would be easy to find. Actually, the Ultimate Evil, and it's chapters on Manson 2, is what got me interested in the Radin case. So I guess this isn't OT after all!
    Yep, I read Bad Company years ago and it's in my collection of books. The police believe Evans was in on the hit but they could not prove it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Northern Lights Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Damn! you're good. I googled her and didn't find this. A bit more info too, especially the two men and women saw entering the church.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Northern Lights Guest
    And I think that this is her body.

http://foolishdeadwomen.blogspot.com...-stanford.html

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post

This would not be the only unsolved murder of Stanford Co-eds and students. Two other students were found strangled around that time period as one was hitchhiking. Janet Ann Taylor and Leslie Marie PerlovBundy
    were found strangles in 1973 and 1974 respectively. It is likely Ted killed all three women as they were stupid and dumb to make themselves so easy targets in the Stanford campus area. Arlis Perry should of stayed
    with her husband instead of walking around to church at night. The killer likely followed her and assaluted in on the alter. Stanford proved not to be a safe place in the seventies. Arlis Perry you are a stupid dumb foolish woman.

Whoever wrote this is a stupid dumb foolish fucker. I don't know about the other two gals, but Arlis's murder was not Bundy's MO.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Northern Lights Guest

This would not be the only unsolved murder of Stanford Co-eds and students. Two other students were found strangled around that time period as one was hitchhiking. Janet Ann Taylor and Leslie Marie PerlovBundy
    were found strangles in 1973 and 1974 respectively. It is likely Ted killed all three women as they were stupid and dumb to make themselves so easy targets in the Stanford campus area. Arlis Perry should of stayed
    with her husband instead of walking around to church at night. The killer likely followed her and assaluted in on the alter. Stanford proved not to be a safe place in the seventies. Arlis Perry you are a stupid dumb foolish woman.

Whoever wrote this is a stupid dumb foolish fucker. I don't know about the other two gals, but Arlis's murder was not Bundy's MO.
    I think that whole site was stupid. That picture was also in another site but I couldn't link it because I don't speak that language and I wasn't sure if all the links are safe.

That might not even be her. Who knows. I would think it would have been at least in Maury Terry's updated book.

It just shits me off when the victim is blammed for her murder. It was a more innocent time in 1974, several years before Bundy was even thought about. Hell, as I've said, I walked my campus at night without one thought of attack.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lab_rat Guest
    Gorgeous church!

lab_rat Guest
    Great thread Cindy! I will have to read more about this when I have time....

Quote Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
    Great thread Cindy! I will have to read more about this when I have time....
    Thanks!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Paige B Guest
    Wow...that was fascinating! I had never heard of this murder before. Thanks for posting it!