Page 1 of 24 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Layne Staley 2

dentists Guest

Layne Staley 2

I'd love to see a story on Layne

I see dead people Guest
    I would as well. He died on April 5th the same day, not year as that other poplular Seatle singer......what was his name? Oh ya Kurt Cobain!

Wierd story as well, I heard pictures where floating around of him dead in his condo, not sure though!

Jack Raines Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by I see dead people View Post
    I would as well. He died on April 5th the same day, not year as that other poplular Seatle singer......what was his name? Oh ya Kurt Cobain!

Wierd story as well, I heard pictures where floating around of him dead in his condo, not sure though!

I don't know about anys pics surfacing, but I think he had been dead for quite awhile before his body was found, and it was in advanced stages of decomposition when they found him. Apparently his family got pissed a few years ago because a book about Layne contained graphic details of his death scene (possibly the pics you were speaking of as well), which the family considered to be disrespectful.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I loved Layne's voice. and thought of him as being one of the more talented of the Seattle sound singers. taking nothing away from Chris Cornell, Kurt or Eddie Vedder (or Mark Arm and Andrew Wood for that matter). I just liked Layne because there was something dark yet beautiful about his voice. and he and Jerry harmonized so well together too. he's missed greatly by us fans. I found it sad that at the end he was alone...so much to the point of being dead for a week before he was discovered. that's very sad. such a shame.

star82 Guest
    I read somewhere that when they discovered his body, he looked like something out of the X-Files.

leppchic Guest
    I'd like to see a pic of that. Sounds interesting. I am a huge Alice fan myself. Peace out Layne.....

7. 10-27-2007, 01:04 AM

sk8terpunk1 Guest
    /\ very true. that Angry Chair thing was about some Argentinian woman going thru a bulmia problem who apparently was an AIC fan, and compared herself to Layne. Shit on paper if you ask me.

If you watch the Unplugged videos, he looks so white and horrible. In other videos like Would? and Down in a Hole he looks huge and tall. He looks so little like he shrunk or something, and hes missing his whole top row of teeth. His eyes look sunken in, and this is in freakin 1996!!! I can't imagine what he looked like in the late 90's, or even prior to his death. He had nothing going for him, especially after losing his model girlfriend to some bacteria death thing, probably dirty needles i dunno. so sad, he had such an incredible voice...

Does anyone have any pics of him at the Grammys in 98??

SarahThirteen Guest
    He still had all his teeth for Unplugged he smiled a few times... they were however rotting out... he even had a lisp because of it. But yeah he did look like shit for that.. looked like he hadnt showered in weeks... here is a fun fact about unplugged... Jerry had food poisoning from eating hotdogs and they had to stop taping a few times so he could throw up. thats why if you watch there is a trash can next to jerry on stage.......

SarahThirteen Guest
    I found this on a website...

Demri (Laynes girlfriend) passed away from endocarditis. This is a bacterial infection of the heart valves that may be caused by many different factors, including the insertion of IV syringes. It is not contagious

I never was a HUGE fan, but I had an album or two and dug most of their stuff. Layne was obviously talented. His range and his and Jerry's harmonies were awesome. A band I was in tried to cover a couple of their songs, but I'm not ashamed to admit that my range didn't quite add up to Mr. Staley's.

Jack Raines Guest
    Here's the video for Layne's cover of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in The Wall" from the soundtrack to the Elijah Wood's horror flick "The Faculty".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcFRj6cADI

Layne makes a few appearances but I think they might have used old footage of him, since his mouth doesn't sync with the music, and you never see him in the room with the band (a "supergroup" called Class of '99 featuring Layne, Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello, and others).

I'm pretty sure this was the last music video Layne was in, unless they made a video to go along with the Alice in Chains box set that I've forgotten.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    You're correct. At the point that they completed then released the master for the remake for the Pink Floyd cover, Layne was in too rough a shape to be taped, even with some of the not-too-subtle techniques they'd used to cover the ravages of his addiction in other videos (ex. "No excuses"), and all of the shots of him were from stock footage.

RIP Sweetest spirit, the peace you sought is now yours.

ar1888 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post

I'm pretty sure this was the last music video Layne was in, unless they made a video to go along with the Alice in Chains box set that I've forgotten.
    They did do a video for the song "born again" for the box set, but not a lot of clear shots of Layne.
    Heres that video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTtVg13rtIs

15. 10-31-2007, 01:20 AM

SarahThirteen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxMulder View Post
    Are there any pictures of him in the late '90s? There aren't very many Layne Staley photo galleries, much to my surprise. I'm curious to how bad his physical appearance had gotten before his death.
    I do not believe so... He pretty much dropped off the face of the planet... any pictures that were taken before his death were taken by his mother and most likely will not be shared with the world.... I do know that the very last photo taken of Layne was of him holding his sister's new born baby.

SarahThirteen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    Here's the video for Layne's cover of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in The Wall" from the soundtrack to the Elijah Wood's horror flick "The Faculty".

Layne makes a few appearances but I think they might have used old footage of him, since his mouth doesn't sync with the music, and you never see him in the room with the band (a "supergroup" called Class of '99 featuring Layne, Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello, and others).

Thats so sad.... his lisp from his teeth rotting out really stand out in that song... the beginning is really bad. makes me really sad. Ive been inlove with Layne since I was like 6 years old.

"Dirt" is my favorite album of the 90's. Every song is killer. It reall struck home to me because both my parents were herion addicts. My grandparents took me from them at 2 weeks old. I grew up watching my real mom nod off at parties and I didnt know why. She died about 6 years ago. Herion is the devil. Layne could have been a part of one of the greatest rock bands ever. But it was all taken away by addiction. Depression probably fueled it. I think about him everyday I think of my mom.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    "Dirt" is my favorite album of the 90's. Every song is killer. It reall struck home to me because both my parents were herion addicts. My grandparents took me from them at 2 weeks old. I grew up watching my real mom nod off at parties and I didnt know why. She died about 6 years ago. Herion is the devil. Layne could have been a part of one of the greatest rock bands ever. But it was all taken away by addiction. Depression probably fueled it. I think about him everyday I think of my mom.
    Sorry to hear that. I've been around long-term self-destructors before too, it's sheer hell-on-earth for a family. Oh, man, that must've been rough, both of them ... God bless your grandparents.

Layne's last real interview was heartbreaking and nakedly honest:

"I'm not using drugs to get high like many people think. I know I made a big mistake when I started using this shit. It's a very difficult thing to explain. My liver is not functioning, and I'm throwing up all the time and shitting my pants. The pain is more than you can handle. It's the worst pain in the world. Dope sick hurts the entire body."

SarahThirteen Guest
    Depression had alot to do with it.. once Demri died he gave up everything.
    Layne went to rehab once then she died and he got worse that is when everything started to go down hill.

Im sorry about your parents and good for your grandparents for taking you...

From good old Wikipedia:

On April 19, 2002, an unidentified person placed a call with 911 to say "She hadn't heard from [...] [ Staley] in about two weeks." Staley was found dead in his home after "his mother and stepfather went to his condo with the police". As reported by Rick Anderson of the Seattle Weekly, his body was surrounded by various drug possessions and paraphernalia: "When police kicked in the door to Layne Staley's University District apartment on April 20, there, on a couch, lit by a flickering TV, next to several spray-paint cans on the floor, not far from a small stash of cocaine, near two crack pipes on the coffee table, reposed the remains of the rock musician." He was 34 years old. The autopsy report later concluded that Staley died after injecting a mixture of heroin and cocaine known as a "speedball". By coincidence, the coroner's office estimated that Staley had died on April 5, the same day as fellow Seattle Grunge rocker Kurt Cobain was estimated to have died eight years earlier.

That's pretty much all I've heard about the guy. Maybe there's more info out there though.

SarahThirteen Guest
    I read yesterday there is a movie about Layne in pre-production They are turning that horrible POS book that was written "about" him into the movie....

what are your thoughts on this?

I will most likely not see it... Im against that book becoming a movie that girl didnt know anything about Layne.

Who is the girl writing it?

SarahThirteen Guest
    Who is the girl writing it?

her name is adrianna she wrote the Angry Chair book that hardly talked about Layne at all. ... it was horrible.

lizbabe Guest

Layne

I adore Layne Staley and Alice in Chains. I've got all the books and the rare CDs, etc. What I NEED is a www.findadeath.com story on Layne. That would make me happiest The one on Kurt is quite interesting and AIC was a hugely influential Seattle band, too. There are all sorts of details out there about Layne's death but hardly any pictures! Also, there is no grave to go find because he was cremated. I would love a story iwth some pictures of his house (condo) in Seattle.

lois steeme Guest
    A talent gone far too young. I love Alice In Chains. "Rooster" is one of my favourite songs of all times.

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Is there anyway the man who run the site can make a Layne story? I remember reading a bit more about his condo, how there were brown heroin stains all over the carpets.

He and Demri were engaged but broke up in 93 or 94. She did in 96, but even before then he was in really rough shape. Apparently he was living off of Ensure because he couldn't digest food, and was 86 pounds, had no teeth and absecesses all over his arms when they found him. I don't know why he had the spray paint.

I'm glad there aren't any photos of him when he was dead or from his last years circulating, poor Layne wouldn't want his fan to remember him that way.

KMKSouthie2001 Guest
    He most likely had the spray paint so that he could use it to get high off of the aerosol that causes the paint to spray out of the can. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffing

He most likely had the spray paint so that he could use it to get high off of the aerosol that causes the paint to spray out of the can.
    Thats strange, though. If you have heroin and coke and painkillers lying around, why on earth would you huff? Thats what people who cant get their hands on real drugs do.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Thats strange, though. If you have heroin and coke and painkillers lying around, why on earth would you huff? Thats what people who cant get their hands on real drugs do.
    He was half dead though - what did he care? Maybe his "doctor" wouldn't bring him his "medicine" anymore b/c he smelled of decay & his place needed to be condemned.

A new Layne Staley thread is now open for business.

We've decided to go this way instead of reopening the old one because of the strain it put on the server once it got to 5000 posts. Many of those posts being large images. So every time a member pulls up the thread, all 5000 posts and all of the images are also loaded up on the server.

Speaking of images and the effect they had on the last Staley thread, if you know you've posted an image before or know that someone else has already posted it, please link to it instead of posting it in this thread again. That way, those who want to see the image can click on the old thread. If you have difficulty finding those, please post any previously posted images as thumbnails, using the upload function. Uploading resizes the image to a manageable size which keeps the thread and the entire forum humming along nicely. We also ask that you do this if you know you've posted something in particular about Staley and you'd like to reiterate it. Thank you in advance.

Feel free to discuss Layne Staley in this thread, just as you did the old thread. But please, if you want to discuss current events about ex-band members, the current AIC group at length, etc., create a new AIC thread for those posts or the specific person if it merits a thread, in the Entertainment section. Shooting the breeze about your personal lives also belongs on profiles, in pm's and social groups. So if you'd like to have conversations at length about personal topics that come up in the thread, please continue those in appropriate areas of the forum.

The last thing I'd like to remind everyone of is that this is FAD and the forum's Death Hag Central area was created to discuss all aspects of the famous' lives and deaths, of course. The good, the bad and the ugly, how these people lived and died, dead pics - all of it are encouraged. If an aspect comes up that you're not fond of, please scroll by it instead of getting into a confrontation about what you'd rather not read. Everyone has the right to post their thoughts on any open topic here (within the forum rules, naturally).

If anyone has any questions about any of the above, please pm me or any mod so the thread stays on track. Thank you.

So with that, I'd like to say welcome to Layne Staley 2. Enjoy!
    Last edited by SomeChick; 10-14-2009 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added thingy.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Okay so lets talk about Layne and how wonderful he was

33. 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
    Reason
    Does not bother to read anything that's not posted by another Layniac. Enough.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Sigh of relief...The Layne thread is a source of comfort...

I think the problem with the old thread is that it turned into a chat. Every question has been asked about him, I think every picture ever taken of the guy has already been posted and how many times can one person post how much they love him. There isnt much more to say.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Yes, almost every question has been asked, and most of those who have had something to say, have said it......There are still more new pics that haven't been seen before showing up so I feel good that we will continue to be lucky enough to have those shared on this thread, at least I hope so.

The thread, along with people on this forum, have provided a great deal of comfort and the chance to meet others that feel the same. I guess we will have to use our profiles and other means to continue some of the friendships resulting from both.....There are also other forums specifically for Layne that a lot of good people are on as well.....and AIC also has a board for those that love the new line up of the band and the new music...

I know the movie will be out one of these days, and the book by Tanya, and both will probably generate a lot of discussion not only of how it portrays Layne, but of both authors as well. But what of the new people that don't know all that we've discussed on the old thread, will that thread be able to be referenced should they ask questions that have already been discussed?

Answered my own question, the old thread is there...
    Last edited by Long Gone Day; 10-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.

37. 10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
    Reason
    Already covered

The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

dakotablue Guest
    Boy, I have missed the Layne thread even for just a few days. That said, I wonder why a lot of the old posts are up here at the start? As Long Gone Day already pointed out, it will certainly be tedious for Layne fans who were active on the first thread to have to go through all the missing teeth--amputated arm--paint cans stuff again. For anyone new to this: I think it was established that Layne had paint cans all over his condo because he was working on art projects. Not huffing.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    I agree with Long Gone Day. Alot of stuff has been rehashed over and over but there are new people coming to the thread and they don't know alot of the stuff and don't want to look back through oodles of pages reading (well I did before I got signed up--but I don't have much of a life LOL). I know I find new pics of Layne all the time that i've never seen before and I think given the new release of AIC's new album--there will bring more questions and buzzing about Layne. I do thank the Forum for adding this thread back.

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
    Boy, I have missed the Layne thread even for just a few days. That said, I wonder why a lot of the old posts are up here at the start? As Long Gone Day already pointed out, it will certainly be tedious for Layne fans who were active on the first thread to have to go through all the missing teeth--amputated arm--paint cans stuff again. For anyone new to this: I think it was established that Layne had paint cans all over his condo because he was working on art projects. Not huffing.
    I agree with you Dakota--I believe the paint cans were used for his art...

Bassetlover09 Guest
    I'd like to know--how do we know what is considered just "chat" ? I mean, if it pertains to Layne (living or deceased) is that okay? I'm sorry I don't mean to sound disrespectful or smarty pants or anything like that--I've never visited a forum as much as I have this one and don't really know. I don't want to mess up and say something that might get the thread closed again.

Why does the new thread have 31 old posts at the beginning?

stinkythejokedog Guest
    what's a Layne Staley...is it a street, a town, an appliance or a barc o lounger??

StellaBoo Guest
    DEFINITELY some pics of Demri I've never seen here:

http://community.livejournal.com/vin...es/138546.html

and more in the posted links.

laynesgrl Guest
    I am glad the Layne thread is back!!!
    I think one of the reasons why the same questions were being rehashed over and over is because we had a lot of new people joining at different times and wanting answers without having to go thru and read the whole thread. It was ginormous!!!

You can search within a thread, it's basically the same as searching for a thread. Let me know if anyone needs help with that, I can put up a how to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassetlover09 View Post
    I'd like to know--how do we know what is considered just "chat" ? I mean, if it pertains to Layne (living or deceased) is that okay? I'm sorry I don't mean to sound disrespectful or smarty pants or anything like that--I've never visited a forum as much as I have this one and don't really know. I don't want to mess up and say something that might get the thread closed again.
    Basically when it veers away from Layne, his life, death, and music and is just conversation between members about say, Mike Starr, or Demri, or Duvall, Cantrell, or what have you, like vacation or other bands and whatnot. That's what the social groups or chat rooms are for.

Also, when members start attacking each other, too. You all are obviously here because your fans, but there will be none of the arguing and 'your opinion' is wrong type stuff. You don't have to agree, just disagree respectfully. The old thread went in that direction many times, and that's not what this thread is for. It's to discuss Layne Staley, not whether someone is wrong because they love/hate William DuVall, for example.

Any questions, just PM a mod. At least a couple of us are on at all times and we're happy to help. That's what we're here for!

Quote Originally Posted by mdespain38 View Post
    Why does the new thread have 31 old posts at the beginning?
    We took what we felt were some of the important posts from the old thread and put them here, to get the ball rolling.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Thanks Nessa

You're welcome!

- R.H. Sin

Flowergrrl Guest
    No Demri?... Thank goodness!

dakotablue Guest
    I think the problem with the old thread is that it turned into a chat. Every question has been asked about him, I think every picture ever taken of the guy has already been posted and how many times can one person post how much they love him. There isnt much more to say.
    Jefe, what you said is based on a closed system and I don't think that applies here. The legend of Layne is growing all the time, as more people discover him through the old AIC albums or the new one. And once they do, many recognize, honor and love him for his awesome voice, his words and his beauty, both inner and outer. He is unforgettable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lovelylayne88.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	16316  

Jefe, what you said is based on a closed system and I don't think that applies here. The legend of Layne is growing all the time, as more people discover him through the old AIC albums or the new one. And once they do, many recognize, honor and love him for his awesome voice, his words and his beauty, both inner and outer. He is unforgettable!
    I don't think saying that the old thread turned into a chat implies that is was a 'closed system' - chat is for profiles, PMs, and social groups. There's plenty of places to chat. That being said, everyone has an opinion and even those who aren't Staley fans are welcome to post in this thread, too. If someone were to pop in and say, "I hate Layne Staley", there'd be nothing wrong with that. It's a public thread and therefore open to all opinions. If they popped in and said, "I hate everyone who posts in this thread," that WOULD be wrong.

The previous thread turned into a chat thread or bashing thread many times, and it just won't be tolerated any longer. Simple as that.

- R.H. Sin

gemini33 Guest
    I've never heard of Layne Staley until the original thread. My problem is with the people that join FAD ONLY to post in the Layne Staley thread. Which is fine, but those people go way off topic and have made it a chat thread. This forum has so much more to offer!

Guys, you're all going way off topic right now, lol. Again, if you have any questions about how the thread is moderated, send us a pm. Otherwise it's time to get back to Staley. Reminder:

A new Layne Staley thread is now open for business.

We've decided to go this way instead of reopening the old one because of the strain it put on the server once it got to 5000 posts. Many of those posts being large images. So every time a member pulls up the thread, all 5000 posts and all of the images are also loaded up on the server.

Speaking of images and the effect they had on the last Staley thread, if you know you've posted an image before or know that someone else has already posted it, please link to it instead of posting it in this thread again. That way, those who want to see the image can click on the old thread. If you have difficulty finding those, please post any previously posted images as thumbnails, using the upload function. Uploading resizes the image to a manageable size which keeps the thread and the entire forum humming along nicely. We also ask that you do this if you know you've posted something in particular about Staley and you'd like to reiterate it. Thank you in advance.

Feel free to discuss Layne Staley in this thread, just as you did the old thread. But please, if you want to discuss current events about ex-band members, the current AIC group at length, etc., create a new AIC thread for those posts or the specific person if it merits a thread, in the Entertainment section. Shooting the breeze about your personal lives also belongs on profiles, in pm's and social groups. So if you'd like to have conversations at length about personal topics that come up in the thread, please continue those in appropriate areas of the forum.

The last thing I'd like to remind everyone of is that this is FAD and the forum's Death Hag Central area was created to discuss all aspects of the famous' lives and deaths, of course. The good, the bad and the ugly, how these people lived and died, dead pics - all of it are encouraged. If an aspect comes up that you're not fond of, please scroll by it instead of getting into a confrontation about what you'd rather not read. Everyone has the right to post their thoughts on any open topic here (within the forum rules, naturally).

If anyone has any questions about any of the above, please pm me or any mod so the thread stays on track. Thank you.

So with that, I'd like to say welcome to Layne Staley 2. Enjoy!

55. 10-16-2009, 04:14 PM
    Reason
    Still not listening