Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Layne Staley 2

Karma in Chains Guest
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

grrrnay Guest
    I like this years shirts the best so far. Thanks for posting those pics, Karma!

Thank heavens we don't all find the same thing attractive in people.... what a mess that would make! It was that very "boyish aura" that Layne had that just totally did me in. In such a jaded industry, it was very refreshing to see.

Of course, Eddie has his own charm, and I would be a big liar if I did not admit I swooned over him a couple of times....

I don't think we're talking about the same aura.

grrrnay Guest
    ? Ok, now I'm intrigued?..... You must be referring to something I am clueless about.....

I'm referring to my own opinion of Layne Staley. Clearly from your and my descriptions of what I don't care for and you do, they are not the same. And they don't need to be. All opinions are welcome here.

grrrnay Guest
    Ok, That's the same thing I was trying to say in my post. I guess I must not have conveyed it very well.

alygonforchains Guest
    Still so sad that Layne Staley died so young. I just wonder what songs we never heard. He was hot when he was healthy (a little skinny for my tastes) and since I didn't know him, I can't really say what he was like, but I am sure he was rather cool before the addiction totally took him over. I mean, who wants to be around someone that doesn't want to be saved. (if that was the case of course) RIP Layne. Your voice sings still......

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrnay View Post
    Of course, Eddie has his own charm, and I would be a big liar if I did not admit I swooned over him a couple of times....
    I wasn't just talking about his looks, I was talking more about his talent and ability as a singer and song writer. From the major ones that came out of that era, I find Vedder's lyrics and voice far better than Cobain and Staley. Staley's voice was too husky/darkish & whinny for my liking and I just cannot relate to his lyrics. I don't know, I just never got into the AIC thing.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    I wasn't just talking about his looks, I was talking more about his talent and ability as a singer and song writer. From the major ones that came out of that era, I find Vedder's lyrics and voice far better than Cobain and Staley. Staley's voice was too husky/darkish & whinny for my liking and I just cannot relate to his lyrics. I don't know, I just never got into the AIC thing.
    I loved Ten, but after that Eddie just seemed a bit too preachy for me, like he was the Bono of the grunge world. Layne, on the other hand, always sounded like he was singing straight from the heart instead of from his voter's registration card. Hmm, there's a thought: I wonder what Layne's political views were, or if he was one of those people that just didn't really pay that much attention to politics?

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoQueen View Post
    I loved Ten, but after that Eddie just seemed a bit too preachy for me, like he was the Bono of the grunge world. Layne, on the other hand, always sounded like he was singing straight from the heart instead of from his voter's registration card. Hmm, there's a thought: I wonder what Layne's political views were, or if he was one of those people that just didn't really pay that much attention to politics?
    Well, to you that's how you view him. I don't view him that way. To me his lyrics were not thought-provoking and were a bit too basic for my taste. I couldn't stand his voice, to me he lacked passion in his voice- there was just something missing for me to get into him.

grrrnay Guest
    Ok, so I managed to help us veer off into Vedder land... which we know is not allowed.... so back to the subject at hand...............

Layne. Whew.

I guess I just don't get why people that do not like him or find him at least interesting keep getting pulled to this thread. I think that must speak to the intrigue of who he was.

I guess everyone keeps hoping those codo pictures will surface?

And you know they are out there..
    Last edited by grrrnay; 10-29-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Mrs. James Dean Guest

I guess I just don't get why people that do not like him or find him at least interesting keep getting pulled to this thread.

Ans you know they are out there..
    This thread is for EVERYBODY not just Staley fans. This thread is for ALL VIEW POINTS on Staley not just fans. Anyone on this board can go to any thread whether they are fans or not and state their opinion on that thread. If you don't like Staley, you can say it here. If you don't like Eddie Vedder go and find the Pearl Jam thread and rant off.

I think a lot of people are confusing this concept. This is NOT a Layne Staley FANS ONLY thread is anything related to him. Anyone is welcomed; you don't have to be a fan to be here. Hopefully that clears things up. Which something tells me this has been explained numerous times.

Karma in Chains Guest
    I must tell you all a cool thing. One of my classmates from when I was 15 turned into a rock star in his own right (starting off with punk, but now it's more ordinary rock, though with a touch of punk still). We found each other on Facebook again, and started to talk about Layne. I mean he's in the business, and he says that everyone agrees that Layne is a true example of how a rock singer should sing, that his voice is one of the best ever in rock etc etc. It was so very nice to hear this from someone who now works internationally in the music business. I'm very glad he told me this!

grrrnay Guest
    Wow. Ok. I keep trying to be nice and try to bring the thread back on track, cause I thought that was what we are supposed to do (BTW, If you go back and read I said vedder makes me swoon..... that means I LIKE him.....) and I NEVER implied that this board should not have all opinions expressed, just that I thought it a testament to how interesting Layne is that people who are not fans still find him interesting enough to take time to come to this thread and read about his life.
    Geez Louise, I never thought I had such poor communication skills, but apparently I do. Ikeep offending people by accident. Apologies yet again.

It's all good, no apologies needed, no offense taken by anyone. Carry on! (in a Monty Python voice)
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I think Layne was beautiful, inside and out. Very talented with a lot of demons. It's really quite sad.

Bibs Guest
    Thanks for sharing the shirt pics Karma!! Wish I could've been there... oh well, maybe next year.
    Speaking of the grunge guys... I love all of them! Vedder, Cornell, Cobain, Staley. Those are the gods I worship!

alygonforchains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mdespain38 View Post
    I think Layne was beautiful, inside and out. Very talented with a lot of demons. It's really quite sad.
    very well put. i agree completely!

Quote Originally Posted by alygonforchains View Post
    very well put. i agree completely!
    Thank you!

wdhebert Guest
    I've been drawn to Layne since the first I heard of him. The more I learn of him, the more I fall in love!

21. 10-30-2009, 09:27 PM

grrrnay Guest
    [quote=SassyMonkey719;955564]Watching Alice on Conan as i type...

WOW...Jerry looks rough!... It dosen't sound to me that the new guy is trying to replace Layne. It seems more like Jerry is pretty much taking over the vocals and the new guy is there for effect.[/quote

Someone in the earlier thread had said he was looking like Rip Van Winkle.....Gosh he was so pretty back in the day. I bet there are more than one of us would love to go back to the way we looked in the 90's - I know I would!( but not the late 80's - I had shaved the side of my head ala' Cyndi Lauper- not a good look for me and very hard to grow out)

When Jerry takes the lead in vocals, the sound is (to me) close to vintage AIC. I do think Duvall harmonizes well with him, but I don't think anyone can ever match the quality that Jer & Layne had. Their voices (IMO) were really meant for each other.

Bibs Guest
    I don't think Jerry looks too bad. He aged. WE ALL DO IT!

brizerker Guest
    The condo pictures? I have seen the condo but no postmortem pictures of Layne.

edit: I think Jerry looks great for his age.

Long Gone Day Guest
    [quote=grrrnay;955703]
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMonkey719 View Post
    Watching Alice on Conan as i type...

WOW...Jerry looks rough!... It dosen't sound to me that the new guy is trying to replace Layne. It seems more like Jerry is pretty much taking over the vocals and the new guy is there for effect.[/quote

Someone in the earlier thread had said he was looking like Rip Van Winkle.....Gosh he was so pretty back in the day. I bet there are more than one of us would love to go back to the way we looked in the 90's - I know I would!( but not the late 80's - I had shaved the side of my head ala' Cyndi Lauper- not a good look for me and very hard to grow out)

When Jerry takes the lead in vocals, the sound is (to me) close to vintage AIC. I do think Duvall harmonizes well with him, but I don't think anyone can ever match the quality that Jer & Layne had. Their voices (IMO) were really meant for each other.

I know what you mean about wishing we looked like we did back then. He's rough, but still looks better than some.....I'd do him....

Nice shirts this year at the benefit and thanks for sharing those pics, Karma...I do think they are the nicest ones yet, too....

RodeoQueen Guest
    Yay! I finally got my Layne's foot t-shirt from ebay this week! That's another of the things I really enjoy about Layne & his legacy, he had a great sense of humor And yeah, Those shirts from this years LSF Tribute were really nice, I wish I could have gotten one myself in person. I have a question: the people who work with the Layne Staley Fund are referred to as L'Ayngels. Is this this a reference to a nickname that Layne himself had, maybe given to him by his mom as a wee one, or is it just a cute play on words?

wdhebert Guest
    I have a question: the people who work with the Layne Staley Fund are referred to as L'Ayngels. Is this this a reference to a nickname that Layne himself had, maybe given to him by his mom as a wee one, or is it just a cute play on words?
    My vote is a cute play on words.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wdhebert View Post
    My vote is a cute play on words.
    I think you're probably right. if it actually was something cute his mom used to call him we'd probably know by now

alygonforchains Guest
    I have a question: the people who work with the Layne Staley Fund are referred to as L'Ayngels. Is this this a reference to a nickname that Layne himself had, maybe given to him by his mom as a wee one, or is it just a cute play on words?[/quote]

My guess is a cute play on words too. I have never seen anything about his mom referring to him that way.

sativadivina Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. James Dean View Post
    Well, to you that's how you view him. I don't view him that way. To me his lyrics were not thought-provoking and were a bit too basic for my taste. I couldn't stand his voice, to me he lacked passion in his voice- there was just something missing for me to get into him.

His voice difference was due to heroin abuse and a few too many Marlboro's. Most addicts drown in their addiction never accomplish anything. He kept on going for as long as he could and considering the shape he was in, in my eyes he went above and beyond what any other addict could do. I love him.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sativadivina View Post
    His voice difference was due to heroin abuse and a few too many Marlboro's. Most addicts drown in their addiction never accomplish anything. He kept on going for as long as he could and considering the shape he was in, in my eyes he went above and beyond what any other addict could do. I love him.
    I disagree with you only on the point about his voice being purely the result of smoking and drug use; IMHO he had one hell of a voice before he was really deep to anything destructive (thinking Love, Hate, Love and MITB in particular), but naturally those factors will change someone's singing voice over time. I will absolutely agree with you on the rest, though, he hung on for a long time even when he was in rough shape, and was an accomplished artist all around despite whatever his demons were. I love him too

Nice name, btw!

sativadivina Guest
    I disagree with you only on the point about his voice being purely the result of smoking and drug use; IMHO he had one hell of a voice before he was really deep to anything destructive (thinking Love, Hate, Love and MITB in particular), but naturally those factors will change someone's singing voice over time. I will absolutely agree with you on the rest, though, he hung on for a long time even when he was in rough shape, and was an accomplished artist all around despite whatever his demons were. I love him too

Nice name, btw!
    Great response and thanks. But yes, over time heroin abuse does have affects on the voice. It becomes raspy, slow and even slurred. The instruments were tuned down because of how deep his voice was. He was unique and irreplaceable. I have a picture I want to post so badly but it sucks because the copy and paste function is allowed on these threads therefore someone would be able to take it. Layne is amazing love him or hate him. "I wish I could just hug you all, but I'm not gonna" haha

alygonforchains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sativadivina View Post
    Great response and thanks. But yes, over time heroin abuse does have affects on the voice. It becomes raspy, slow and even slurred. The instruments were tuned down because of how deep his voice was. He was unique and irreplaceable. I have a picture I want to post so badly but it sucks because the copy and paste function is allowed on these threads therefore someone would be able to take it. Layne is amazing love him or hate him. "I wish I could just hug you all, but I'm not gonna" haha

Completely agree.

Karma in Chains Guest
    I'll post you a Layne photo. Here you go.

PS Tuning down does not have anything with his voice to do though, but is a way to make rock music rock, since the strings will wibrate in a different way when they are "looser" on the neck of both guitar and bass, so that's why they all do it (most rock groups in fact do this). Just facts, I really love Layne's voice, don't get me wrong, lol.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

So was anyone watching Law and Order SVU last night? There was a young, rich kid addicted to heroin. Huang helps get the kid clean by taking him to an "illegal" ibogaine clinic. Apparently, ibogaine can cure someone of heroin addiction overnight, yet there is not pharmaceutical company backing its distribution in the US.

I wonder if Layne knew about Ibogaine? Of course, television is part fantasy. So even if ibogaine exists, maybe it doesn't work exactly as described on Law and Order.

Has anyone on the board heard of, or had experience with, ibogaine?

Mrs Tingles Guest
    Interesting KCBee. I've never heard of Ibogaine, but apparently it has anti-addictive properties, but is too expensive to be on the market. What a shame. It looks like it could help some people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine

Layne tried methadone for a while, but it was difficult for him due to stardom and lack of support. I don't know why he didn't have the methadone bought to him.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tingles View Post
    Interesting KCBee. I've never heard of Ibogaine, but apparently it has anti-addictive properties, but is too expensive to be on the market. What a shame. It looks like it could help some people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibogaine

Layne tried methadone for a while, but it was difficult for him due to stardom and lack of support. I don't know why he didn't have the methadone bought to him.
    As I understand it (and I could always be wrong!), the methadone program in Seattle, at least at that time, was very strict: you had to go to a clinic at a certain time each day, stand in line, get your dose, take it there in front of god and everyone, etc. Very humiliating, very public-shaming kind of thing. They would not allow for people to receive a confidential delivery of their meds like you could get, say, in L.A.. Apparently it was too much for Layne, and I can't really say I blame him

Karma in Chains Guest
    Here's another photo. I don't know what had happened to his arm (or is it a dislocated shoulder? but then you normally get the hand more in front of you) at this time. Anyone?
    (He has his arm in a sling in other photos too, like the series of him in the big black round sunglasses, from his hair I think it's about the same time.)
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

RodeoQueen Guest
    ^^that is a very good question, Miss Karma. We know about the foot, but I have never heard anything about the arm

...and to add an example of my favorite Layne time period, here he is young, healthy and with dreads a-flyin':

Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

wdhebert Guest
    Gaaaawh, Rodeo...that picture is amazing. You know it's funny, when you love Layne, it's so easy to see the beautiful aura that he projects. The man is just magical.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Try try try to understaaaaand, he's a magic man...

Yeah, he is! Back to my own personal preferences, I like the few pics that I've seen of him in action with this kind of blur on them. For me, it's capturing the raw spirit of music that Layne embodied for me; in pics like this he IS the music he's playing, and I just love it

Karma in Chains Guest
    it's been a week of rain, wind and some snow. Make sure you have your winther clothes ready, like Layne:
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

Karma in Chains Guest
    More Layne in hats:
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

Two Lost Souls Guest
    I haven't been here in awhile, what happened to the original thread? Did it get too big?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Lost Souls View Post
    I haven't been here in awhile, what happened to the original thread? Did it get too big?
    See here:

http://findadeath.com/forum/showpost...4&postcount=30
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Karma in Chains Guest
    Continuing my series of Layne in hats (and other things on his head)

Karma in Chains Guest
    Yet another hat
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

Karma in Chains Guest
    Oh, sorry, found this one too: backward hat:
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Spamming pics removed.

He had some of the coolest jewelry.

50. 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM
    Reason
    Disregarding repeated warnings to stop posting the same large images in the Staley thread repeatedly.

Rotten Apple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dentists View Post
    First of all it's Kurt Cobain not "Kirk".
    Yes they were friends. Kurt's favorite Seattle band was Alice in Chains, in the press though, he said otherwise.
    Toward the end of Kurt's life he actually tried to write songs that were AIC-esque. "You Know You're Right" sounds like AIC, & Cobain told Courtney Love that he wrote "The sickest Alice in Chains song".
    If you don't believe me read the Rolling Stone article that came out when Layne died-not the Layne story, but the Nirvana article.
    Also read the book "Nirvana: The True Story" by Everett True (Kurt's friend) it goes on to talk about Layne & Kurt's friendship. Also read the Mike Starr book "Unchained" - Kurt was a HUGE fan of AIC.
    Also there is a youtube video where Kurt Cobain says straight-up "I shot speed with Alice in Chains in Brazil"
    I`m sorry, but this post made me spit. It`s like news on TV.
    freak.

52. 11-13-2009, 01:46 PM
    Reason
    shit

alygonforchains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma in Chains View Post
    Yet another hat
    I truly love this one! Love that hat. you don't see many showing him and the guitar. Thanks!
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spam pic removed.