Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Gately - Boyzone

sablegsd Guest
    Never heard of him or the band. I'm old and outdated.

Fujicakes Guest
    Wow. I remember my friend had one of their CDs way back when.

RIP Stephen. I'm sure you made lots of kids happy with your music.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    Thats it, I've got to say something or else I will go mad! Stephen was the only gay member of Boyzone, the other are married with kids! Stephen was forced out by the press over here and was married as well. Why do you and other people make remarks about gay people and think its funny? A YOUNG MAN has died and people are in shock and upset about it, and I dont want to read rubbish. Show some respect coz you do that for other people but not Stephen?
    Why do you feel the need to point out that he was the only gay member and he was "forced out".
    As a Lesbian I just feel bad a young man died and his family left to cope. People will always snicker about sexuality. Don't let it get to you. But saying it shouldn't matter and then pointing out he was the only gay guy and was forced out smacks of "Damning with faint praise" as Alexander Pope famously said.
    People are cavalier about death on every thread here. Take comfort from the positive posts and skip over the ones that upset you.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Regards,
    Mary

discod Guest
    Michael Jackson:
    Dies 2 days before "Mixed Race Day".

Stephen Gately:
    Dies 1 day before 'National Coming Out Day".

Call these events coincidental or whatever you want, but personally i think it's a countdown as deaths come in 3's.
    On 19th of October it's "Drug Free Work Week", which will hopefully complete the countdown.

FUCK OFF AMY WINEHOUSE

Stephen Gately's last words...

"I'm off to bed, I'm feeling a little queer". sorry sick but funny,i am sad but hey life goes on

QueenB Guest
    I worked with Stephen in the West End a few years ago on a really bad show -Stephen was a nice bloke and he and Andrew made a good couple. I cant see him taking his own life - if he went out drinking before going to sleep maybe he choked on his vomit in his sleep?

discod Guest
    I think maybe he mixed his medication with booze or he had some illness he never knew about

Shazzadouglas Guest
    According to the Times online "The singer is reported to have been in his pyjamas. “He was in a strange position,” an investigator said. “He was squatting on the sofa, almost in a praying position.”

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6870214.ece

RIP Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzadouglas View Post
    According to the Times online "The singer is reported to have been in his pyjamas. ??He was in a strange position,? an investigator said. ??He was squatting on the sofa, almost in a praying position.?

RIP Steven
    Weirdness!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzadouglas View Post
    According to the Times online "The singer is reported to have been in his pyjamas. “He was in a strange position,” an investigator said. “He was squatting on the sofa, almost in a praying position.”

RIP Steven
    Is that even possible? Even if you die a peaceful natural death while sitting like that wouldnt you slump immediately or wouldnt rigor mortis twist you into another position? Sounds staged or untrue.
    It would be cool though if he prayed himself to death.
    "Dear God, please let there be lots of well hung Puerto Ricans at the baths tonight...."
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

KarmaKat Guest
    Hmmmm sounds a bit odd to me.

Salad Fingers Guest
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...ely-dead-at-33.

Boyzone star Stephen Gately died after choking on his own vomit following a drinking binge, according to UK reports.
    An investigator is quoted by the Daily Mail as saying that Gately was found dead in the Majorca villa in a "strange position ? he was found squatting down on the sofa almost in a praying position".
    Police are looking for a Bulgarian man named Giorgio who had been invited to Gately's compound with he and partner Andy Cowles after meeting at a nightclub on Friday evening.
    Gately was found by Mr Cowles on Saturday afternoon but it is unclear whether Giorgio had left the flat before Gately died.
    Police said Giorgio was not under any suspicion but could provide vital investigation into the death

12. 10-12-2009, 12:06 AM

13. 10-12-2009, 12:19 AM

BodyRot Guest
    I just can't wrap my head around the position they were saying he was in and how he managed, from that position, to choke on his vomit (if the sources are to be believed).

Also, apparently they weren't drinking heavily. Maybe he was a lightweight or maybe it was, as someone said, a mixture of booze and medication, but generally people don't puke after a non-heavy night out.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. Anyone able to shed any light on that though?

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Why do you feel the need to point out that he was the only gay member and he was "forced out".
    As a Lesbian I just feel bad a young man died and his family left to cope. People will always snicker about sexuality. Don't let it get to you. But saying it shouldn't matter and then pointing out he was the only gay guy and was forced out smacks of "Damning with faint praise" as Alexander Pope famously said.
    People are cavalier about death on every thread here. Take comfort from the positive posts and skip over the ones that upset you.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Regards,
    Mary
    I am sorry but I've had people mock me for my sexuality and it's hurtful. I dont like the way he spoke about it on here and I had my say. I am guessing I should have overlooked it but I couldnt. Everyone who is fighting with their sexuality is having a hard time, I understand that, but why should we laugh with a gay man dying? I am heartbroken over Stephen's death. I love Boyzone. I did say I wasn't gonna post on here again but I had to take a look.

KarmaKat Guest
    Choking on your own vomit!
    What a horrible way to go.

discod Guest
    GMTV quote this morning "the family said it was a terrible accident" wont find out for another 24 hours cos its a national holiday in Spain today.Also there was another gay man at the apartment,a guy from Bulgaria so who knows

BodyRot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKat View Post
    Choking on your own vomit!
    What a horrible way to go.
    Could be worse, you could choke to death on someone else's vomit.

Probably not, but that would be way gross.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    I am sorry but I've had people mock me for my sexuality and it's hurtful. I dont like the way he spoke about it on here and I had my say. I am guessing I should have overlooked it but I couldnt. Everyone who is fighting with their sexuality is having a hard time, I understand that, but why should we laugh with a gay man dying? I am heartbroken over Stephen's death. I love Boyzone. I did say I wasn't gonna post on here again but I had to take a look.
    I don't think anyone deep down is not sorry about his death and there will always be those that devalue people based on their sexuality but he was 33 so lets hope he had that pretty much sorted out.
    I think they boy band thing appears to be tough on these kids as they grow up they all seem to get a little freaked out and work and adulation drys up for some of them.
    I just saw some little prepubescent little fellow on the today show that has an album and there were thousands of young girls lined up to swoon over him. He looked like he was about 13 years old if that. Canadian Jason Beiber, age 15 is sort of a male Miley Cyrus that got his start on U-tube. I can't help but wonder what all that attention and adulation does to a kid who is not yet fully formed personality wise, sexuality wise etc.
    I would guess Stephen died from vacation syndrome. I lived in Ptown for years, the largest gay and lesbian resort area in the US. Key West doesn't come close. Year after year I watched nice, sane gay and lesbian people come there on vacationand do totally stupid things. They bought and used drugs, they engaged in dangerous unprotected sex. Behaviors they would never have done back in Peoria. It was like rational thought and prudence was suspended while they were "on vacation".
    I think he was just having some fun and it went too far. It just seems like a sad and tragic accident.
    Regards,
    Mary

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyRot View Post
    Could be worse, you could choke to death on someone else's vomit.

Probably not, but that would be way gross.
    Isn't that what happened to one of the drummers in Spinal Tap?
    Regards,
    Mary

BodyRot Guest
    Isn't that what happened to one of the drummers in Spinal Tap?
    Regards,
    Mary
    Quite right - (from Wikipedia) "The group was eventually joined by bassist Derek Smalls, keyboardist Viv Savage (David Kaff), and a series of drummers, each of whom had mysteriously died under odd circumstances, including spntaneous combustion, a "bizarre gardening accident" and at least one choked to death on vomit from person(s) unknown ("you can't dust for vomit")."

LOL.

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyrot View Post
    quite right - (from wikipedia) "the group was eventually joined by bassist derek smalls, keyboardist viv savage (david kaff), and a series of drummers, each of whom had mysteriously died under odd circumstances, including spntaneous combustion, a "bizarre gardening accident" and at least one choked to death on vomit from person(s) unknown ("you can't dust for vomit")."

lol.
    eeeeeeooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

esquisse Guest
    I never was a fan of Boyzone but this really shocked me. He was so cute and seemed to be a full of life - couldn't believe that.

they are saying that he was found kneeling up against the sofa and his family has been told he has likely choked on his own vomit after a heavy drinking session.
    dont know how much truth is in this, but thats what is on tonights news.

trinlee Guest
    Blimey it gets worse, this is just so sad.

I don't think anyone deep down is not sorry about his death and there will always be those that devalue people based on their sexuality but he was 33 so lets hope he had that pretty much sorted out.
    I think they boy band thing appears to be tough on these kids as they grow up they all seem to get a little freaked out and work and adulation drys up for some of them.
    I just saw some little prepubescent little fellow on the today show that has an album and there were thousands of young girls lined up to swoon over him. He looked like he was about 13 years old if that. Canadian Jason Beiber, age 15 is sort of a male Miley Cyrus that got his start on U-tube. I can't help but wonder what all that attention and adulation does to a kid who is not yet fully formed personality wise, sexuality wise etc.
    I would guess Stephen died from vacation syndrome. I lived in Ptown for years, the largest gay and lesbian resort area in the US. Key West doesn't come close. Year after year I watched nice, sane gay and lesbian people come there on vacationand do totally stupid things. They bought and used drugs, they engaged in dangerous unprotected sex. Behaviors they would never have done back in Peoria. It was like rational thought and prudence was suspended while they were "on vacation".
    I think he was just having some fun and it went too far. It just seems like a sad and tragic accident.
    Regards,
    Mary
    I hope Stephen didn't take anything that killed him. I did hear he stopped drinking and suddely he is drinking for 8 hours (well so the press say so) and died from choking on his own vomit (so sad) and my heart goes out to his husband, Andrew. It must have been hell for him to find Stephen dead. I just hope later tomorrow the real reason will be known what killed him and he can be laid to rest.

pvezz Guest
    Quite right - (from Wikipedia) "The group was eventually joined by bassist Derek Smalls, keyboardist Viv Savage (David Kaff), and a series of drummers, each of whom had mysteriously died under odd circumstances, including spntaneous combustion, a "bizarre gardening accident" and at least one choked to death on vomit from person(s) unknown ("you can't dust for vomit")."

LOL.

You guys read my mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZbHagBNY98

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    LOL
    pretty much.
    obviously Finnegan was speaking of the fans,not the band.

for reference in rock and roll in fact and legend,when the beatles played paris,it was noticed how many gay looking boys came to the show[brian probably handed the tickets out],and is mentioned in their anthology dvd.

and of course spinal tap,featuring nigel tufnel on lead guitar,formerly with the lovely lads,seems like there was a segment where marti asks the band about their male fans.

and,speaking of tap,their original drummer john "stumpy" pepys[and the band has not been the same since,say many critics] died in the bizarre gardening accident.

this was based on the actual demise of totos' drummer,jeff porcaro,who may have been overcome by seven dust.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops_0108 View Post
    My sisters bf went to bed with her 3 weeks ago. She woke up the next morning and he had died next to her. He was apparantly "healthy" after a post mortem it was found that he'd had a blood clot that had travelled to his heart. his heart just stopped beating. I'm thinking maybe something like this has happened to Stephen. Tragic and such a waste.
    I'm sad & sorry for your sister...how discomforting for her. I'm also sad for Stephen's loved ones.

Looks like natural causes ... But interesting to see the speculation .
    Last edited by p00key; 10-13-2009 at 05:18 AM.
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

BodyRot Guest
    I especially like how it's being implied the friend and Stephen's husband were in bed together whilst Stephen Gately died.

Clearly the media are all "This nice guy has died and no drugs in sight - let's say his hsuabdn was shagging someone else!"

Boyzone Star Gately Died Of Natural Causes

2:15pm UK, Tuesday October 13, 2009
    A post-mortem into the death of Boyzone star Stephen Gately has found the singer died of natural causes.

A court official on the island of Majorca said the singer suffered a pulmonary oedema, an accumulation of fluid on the lungs.
    Officials dismissed speculation that Gately choked on his own vomit, and said drugs and alcohol were not involved in his death.
    At a brief court hearing in the island's capital Palma, a judge ruled that Gately's family could fly the body home.
    The 33-year-old was found dead on the sofa of his apartment in Port Andratx on Saturday following a night out with his partner Andrew Cowles.

A sample of pulmonary fluid taken during the post-mortem will be sent to a forensic laboratory in Barcelona for further tests to confirm the result, the court official said.
    The official added that the investigation into the death will continue as a formality with Mr Cowles and one other person declared as official witnesses.

Gately's partner Andrew Cowles

The second witness is thought to be Bulgarian Georgi Dochev, 25, who went back to the apartment with Gately and Mr Cowles after their night out and has described finding the singer's lifeless body the next day.
    Lawyer Gerald Kean, a spokesman for Gately's family in Ireland, said papers have been signed to allow the release of his body.
    But he said it may be two days before it is returned to Ireland.
    "The family's only wish is to get their son and brother home as soon as possible," Mr Kean said.
    The lawyer said a number of formalities remained to be completed before Gately is repatriated.

Perdi Guest
    You know I am really pleased this turned out to be natural causes. I know that sounds really freaky, and don't get me wrong, it is terrible that he has passed so young, but it would have been rediculously shocking if this had been anything else!

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Boyzone?
    Were they a boyband for gay boys?
    Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Sunday, October 11th 2009

Stephen Gately Of Boyzone Has Passed Away

Stephen Gately of the Irish boy band Boyzone was found dead yesterday while on vacation in Majorca, Spain with his husband Andrew Cowles. Stephen was only 33.

There aren't many details about Stephen's death since the police are still conducting an investigation. The police said there were no signs of violence. One of Stephen's told The News of the World (I know) that he went out for a few drinks, came back to his house, fell asleep and never woke up.

The members of Boyzone are now on their way to Spain. The group's Louis Walsh said this:

"We're all absolutely devastated. I'm in complete shock. I was only with him on Monday at an awards ceremony. We don't know much about what's happened yet. I only heard after The Factor and we will rally around each other this week. He was a great man."

Stephen, who was working on his first children's novel at the time of his death, is survived by his husband Andrew.

I had never heard of that band...so sorry for the loss. Prayers go out the his husband....and family.

That being said....I don't care if he was gay, straight , like animals, whatever....he was hot!!! i would have liked to tap that!!

(my apologies....i am in a freaky mood tonight....)
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticakasha View Post
    Boyzone Star Gately Died Of Natural Causes

2:15pm UK, Tuesday October 13, 2009
    A post-mortem into the death of Boyzone star Stephen Gately has found the singer died of natural causes.

A court official on the island of Majorca said the singer suffered a pulmonary oedema, an accumulation of fluid on the lungs.
    This sounds odd
    One's lungs do not fill up with fluid overnight. The symptoms - ie not being able to breathe - are pretty hard to ignore.
    He must have been ill for some time, yet he was well enough to go out drinking for hours?

BodyRot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    This sounds odd
    One's lungs do not fill up with fluid overnight. The symptoms - ie not being able to breathe - are pretty hard to ignore.
    He must have been ill for some time, yet he was well enough to go out drinking for hours?
    A friend of mine who works for the NHS said that - he may have had a chest infection. However one newspaper said it can be caused by inhaling vomit, so maybe that was the cause?

Pat Bateman Guest
    That's my thought also, that the 'fluid' described may well just be vomit.
    The only other scenario is that Stephen had a serious lung or heart infection (serious enough to clog his lungs up that badly), but that would have made him very ill, certainly he wouldn't have been capable of going out and partying.
    Last edited by Pat Bateman; 10-14-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: typo

Littleroben Guest
    I'm not medically trained but I too thought that it was unlikely that your lungs could develop that level of fluid whilst you are asleep without showing any symptoms before. I wondered whether the cause of death given is not telling the full story yet and if there was an underlying condition with his heart that caused the fluid to collect but only after his heart was in trouble?

That said it still feels wrong that he's died, especially when you think a week ago he was probably enjoying his life and looking forward to the weekend.

heaven01uk Guest
    I was watching The Wright Stuff this morning and Matthew Wright was saying he was born with a heart problem and could of died anytime. I don't know if thats true, I haven't read it anywhere. Has anyone else heard or read that?.

Medical experts said the post-mortem tests suggest Gately may have been a victim of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS), caused by an undetected heart condition.
    Mr Kean said: "There is a heart condition on his dad Martin's side of the family. Stephen would have had no idea he had this condition."

^^^ That's from the SkyNews Website so it's seems he could have had a heart condition

BodyRot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post
    That's my thought also, that the 'fluid' described may well just be vomit.
    The only other scenario is that Stephen had a serious lung or heart infection (serious enough to clog his lungs up that badly), but that would have made him very ill, certainly he wouldn't have been capable of going out and partying.
    That's what bothers me about it. They claim it was an undetected medical problem but surely for it to get to that point he'd have to be feeling ill. Last time I felt like crap I didn't much fancy going out.

Unless it was vomit, as it still might be. Or possibly a mixture of both?

heaven01uk Guest
    That's what bothers me about it. They claim it was an undetected medical problem but surely for it to get to that point he'd have to be feeling ill. Last time I felt like crap I didn't much fancy going out.

Unless it was vomit, as it still might be. Or possibly a mixture of both?
    In this story a medical expert says the symptoms of this are death.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-syndrome.html

I would assume they would need to do more tests etc.

BodyRot Guest
    Not the most reliable of places, but Wikipedia have a list of symptoms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_edema

I wonder if he noticed any symtoms or saw a doctor? Because if I had some of those symptoms I'd be a wee bit alarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticakasha View Post
    Medical experts said the post-mortem tests suggest Gately may have been a victim of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS), caused by an undetected heart condition.
    Mr Kean said: "There is a heart condition on his dad Martin's side of the family. Stephen would have had no idea he had this condition."

^^^ That's from the SkyNews Website so it's seems he could have had a heart condition
    I know a couple of triathletes that have died of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome - both in there sleep - one was 24 the other 27 - isn't it one of those conditions that you don't know about until it happens
    What 3rd world country do you live in that doesn't allow 'the gays' to marry ?

46. 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM

heaven01uk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lolly89 View Post
    There was a piccie in the metro today (free newspaper they give out on the trains) of them moving his body (in body baggie natch) but my damn scanner isnt working! Grrr
    I saw it on the front of The Sun or Daily Mirror when I was round the shop this morning.

It's on The Suns website heres the link

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...en-Gately.html

This is a diffrent view from the pic in the link.
    Last edited by heaven01uk; 10-14-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added link

48. 10-14-2009, 01:00 PM

heaven01uk Guest
    *hands heaven a piece of Galaxy Caramel* Well done! I looked for it and couldnt find it...am an idiot though

Yummy I love Galaxy Caramel

50. 10-14-2009, 01:21 PM

heaven01uk Guest
    Well have another piece then seeing as we didnt quite get to invade america that last time we spoke
    Why thankyou, maybe we should start planning an invasion again lol.

52. 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote Originally Posted by p00key View Post
    I know a couple of triathletes that have died of Sudden Adult Death Syndrome...isn't it one of those conditions that you don't know about until it happens
    I was under the impression that you don't know about it when it happens

My money's on Axl's theory.

bluebird14 Guest
    Oh jeez, I remember Boyzone. Wasnt a fan, but I feel sooo bad for him and his family! He was still a baby.

Shazzadouglas Guest
    Pic of his coffin being readied for his journey home http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...t-he-died.html

Not sure what to think of the bloodstains on the panel of the thing thats carrying the coffin???