Thread: Brooke Astor's Son Convicted of Looting Her Estate

STsFirstmate Guest

Brooke Astor's Son Convicted of Looting Her Estate

I could not find a Brooke Astor thread. Sorry if I missed one.
    Brooke was the 105 year old heiress to the Aster fortune. She was one of the US and NYC in particular's leading philanthropists. It is estimated that she gave over 200 million away during her life funding major museums, the arts and several charities. 200 million was barley a nick out of her total wealth.
    As she got older her only son, Anthony Marshall and his wife began to isolate her from her friends and they began to sell off, art , property and furniture belonging to Brooke. Her nurse, physicians and long time caretakers were replaced with staff of his choosing with alligence to him and his wife.
    Her old friends were told she was too ill to see them. Annette De laRenta, long time friend of Brooke and wife of the famous designer Oscar DeLaRenta snuck into the house and found Booke sleeping on a urine stained couch in filthy bed clothes malnourished and deprived of her medications. The room was also unheated where she found her.
    Annette joined forces with other prominent friends of Brooke to gain guardianship of Brooke and to file fraud and elder abuse charges against Marshall and his wife.
    Brooke lived for a few more years and her friends made sure she lived them in comfort at her beloved country home that Marshall had attempted to sell.
    Today Marshall and his wife were found guilty of all of the several charges against them and he faces up to 25 years in prison His wife will do time also.
    The crazy thing is the two of them were wildly wealthy in their own right and could have easily taken care of her for the few addional years until she passed and they would have had it all.
    I can't imagine an only son treating his mother in this fashion. Even if he was stealing from her he could have kept her comfortable and safe for the time she had left.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/08/...ict/index.html
    I hope Bubba gives him a personal and intimate welcome to federal prison when he gets there.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 10-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Aylen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I could not find a Brooke Astor thread. Sorry if I missed one.
    Brooke was the 105 year old heiress to the Aster fortune. She was one of the US and NYC in particular's leading philanthropists. It is estimated that she gave over 200 million away during her life funding major museums, the arts and several charities. 200 million was barley a nick out of her total wealth.
    As she got older her only son, Anthony Marshall and his wife began to isolate her from her friends and they began to sell off, art , property and furniture belonging to Brooke. Her nurse, physicians and long time caretakers were replaced with staff of his choosing with alligence to him and his wife.
    Her old friends were told she was too ill to see them. Annette De laRenta, long time friend of Brooke and wife of the famous designer Oscar DeLaRenta snuck into the house and found Booke sleeping on a urine stained couch in filthy bed clothes malnourished and deprived of her medications. The room was also unheated where she found her.
    Annette joined forces with other prominent friends of Brooke to gain guardianship of Brooke and to file fraud and elder abuse charges against Marshall and his wife.
    Brooke lived for a few more years and her friends made sure she lived them in comfort at her beloved country home that Marshall had attempted to sell.
    Today Marshall and his wife were found guilty of all of the several charges against them and he faces up to 25 years in prison His wife will do time also.
    The crazy thing is the two of them were wildly wealthy in their own right and could have easily taken care of her for the few addional years until she passed and they would have had it all.
    I can't imagine an only son treating his mother in this fashion. Even if he was stealing from her he could have kept her comfortable and safe for the time she had left.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/08/...ict/index.html
    I hope Bubba gives him a personal and intimate welcome to federal prison when he gets there.
    Regards,
    Mary

Funny, I often hope there is a "Bubba" around to teach someone a lesson, myself.

I remember reading in some of the New York Papers
    that the jury were fighting with each other.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

RubySlippers Guest
    what a circus.

Nelliebean Guest
    Her son was something else.

NOVSTORM Guest
    There are no Buba's in fed prisons. They are the country club prisons.
    I am thankful her grand son, went after his father . Greed is an illness and her son is one greedy bastard.

TallulahDahling Guest
    Cheers to her grandson who blew the whistle on his dad.

1karenhb Guest
    Good news indeed. I read an excellent article in Vanity Fair a while back that said the son's wife was an instigator in a lot of this. I'm glad they were both convicted.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Oh, this makes my blood boil, treating her like that. The condition her friend found her in! I'm so glad her friend snuck in and they got her out of there.

You have one thread about an elderly lady who was snuffed in a "nice" nursing home, and one who for all intents and purposes was almost snuffed in the care of her only child. Life is scary enough but the very young and very old, no matter what their social positions, are so vulnerable.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    You have one thread about an elderly lady who was snuffed in a "nice" nursing home, and one who for all intents and purposes was almost snuffed in the care of her only child. Life is scary enough but the very young and very old, no matter what their social positions, are so vulnerable.
    I don't get it either. I would give anything in the world for one more conversation with my Mom and Dad, to enjoy a meal with them or take a walk in the hills with them. I can't imagine treating them like that for any amount of money.
    Regards,
    Mary

I attended her 90th birthday party and sat next to Helen Gurly Brown and her husband and they couldnt stop telling me how beautiful they thought I was all night (it got kinda creepy since Im not !). I remember seeing Joan Collins up close that night and astonished by the amount of makeup she wore. Sorry to go off topic but I hadnt thought about that night in forever!
    Its a shame how things ended up for Mrs Astor-she didnt deserve that
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    I attended her 90th birthday party and sat next to Helen Gurly Brown and her husband and they couldnt stop telling me how beautiful they thought I was all night (it got kinda creepy since Im not !). I remember seeing Joan Collins up close that night and astonished by the amount of makeup she wore. Sorry to go off topic but I hadnt thought about that night in forever!
    Its a shame how things ended up for Mrs Astor-she didnt deserve that
    Wow the circles you moved in! I know I would love to hear more about it. The aroma of money and power must have been palpable in that room!
    Regards,
    Mary

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I remember reading in some of the New York Papers
    that the jury were fighting with each other.
    11 days of deliberation. They were concerned about sending an 85 year old guy away. Even a year could be life for him. I bet he never serves a day.
    Regards,
    Mary

radiojane Guest
    The Astors were such a fascinating group. Unfortunately though, no amount of money changes the fact that the older and more frail you are the more vulnerable you are. If I was wealthy, I'd be terrified of ending up 104 and having no idea what was happening to me estate.

Dixie Girl Guest
    Sad thing is, they deliberately kept her out of a nursing home and away from people so that no cases could be filed for fiduciary abuse, I am sure.
    We often see families dumped in nursing homes, etc., where at least there is an advocate for problems dealing with the "outside" world--in its own halls, not so much.
    I am so glad that even in the world of the wealthy, she had a friend who was willing to risk much to sneak her out of that house and get her to a lifestyle in which she was surrounded by the health, medical attention, and care that she deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Wow the circles you moved in! I know I would love to hear more about it. The aroma of money and power must have been palpable in that room!
    Regards,
    Mary
    Ha-Well, that party was huge! Not terribly exclusive but an interesting experience. I have traveled in many circles...kinda like Forrest Gump without the accomplishments! Somehow Ive witnessed a lot without being a player----my life is strange
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"