View Poll Results: VOTE - Your Pick For The Best HITCHCOCK Film . . . .

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • REBECCA (1940)

6 6.00%
  • STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)

3 3.00%
  • REAR WINDOW (1954)

19 19.00%
  • THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956)

1 1.00%
  • THE WRONG MAN (1957)

0 0%
  • V-E-R-T-I-G-O (1958)

7 7.00%
  • NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)

11 11.00%
  • PsYCHO (1960)

31 31.00%
  • THE BIRDS (1963)

19 19.00%
  • MARNIE (1964)

3 3.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Alfred Hitchcock

Bidmor Guest
    Hitch on What's My Line, complete with Hitchcockian sign-in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCu-NUMrsj0

When I was a little girl my mom joined a book club--back in the 60s some clubs gave you a bookcase with your first order. Anyway, she ordered a book of Alfred Hitchcock stories. One of them was about a little girl who could pass through her bedroom wall (or closet wall, I forget which) and enter another dimension. Scare the shit out of me.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I heard that old Al was a bit of a pervert (??)

rucyco2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pyt View Post
    I heard that old Al was a bit of a pervert (??)
    I seem to remember somethng about him being, well, a little "Quirky" but the details escape me at the moment.

Over to Google, my evil little buddy.....

rucyco2 Guest
    I found this:

http://slunch.blogspot.com/2008/11/a...-sex-life.html

It basically implies that he had sex once in his life, which produced his daughter. It also suggests that he treated the women on his sets like shit, possibly because of this lack of action.

Whatever.....I like the guy

Tippi Hendron (spelling) is Melanie Griffith's mother

How would anyone know how many times he had sex in his life? I don't buy that.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    HITCHCOCK was also a weird man and could be very cruel. He treated TIPPI like shit after she turned down his physical advances. He had her under exclusive contract. While MARNIE was in production he propositioned her. She was engaged at the time and reminded him of that fact. For the rest of production he would direct her through others in third person dictate. He also told her that he would destroy her professionally which is why her career pretty much stalled after '64 for several years. It amazes me that she's been big enough to look past all of this and only speak of him in the positive but she has.

Reminder of how much I miss your posts Kelt

I've just finished reading Spellbound by Beauty ... Donald Spoto. Spoto interviewed Hitch numerous times over the years and wrote several books. He was asked by his immediate family to withhold negative information for a period of time.

Hitchcock was plagued by personal demons, was not a kind or generous human being. He refused to credit others who contributed much to his film career, had a filthy denigrating mouth on set to everyone. He suffered from morbid obesity most of his live and by his own admission was frustratingly celibate but for one instance.

Bidmor Guest
    As to Hitch having sex once in his life? Well, I guess the result was Pat.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    As to Hitch having sex once in his life? Well, I guess the result was Pat.
    It's what Hitch claimed. Alma and Hitch shared discussions on filmmaking, more brother/sister and collaborative than that of a happily married couple.

Not uncommon in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by rucyco2 View Post
    ... It also suggests that he treated the women on his sets like shit, possibly because of this lack of action.

Whatever.....I like the guy
    I read Maureen O'Hara's autobiography and she had a pretty good relationship with him. She was offered the role of "I" in Rebecca, but could not do it due to a shooting conflict and was very upset about that. She did not speak badly of him and only listed him 2nd to John Ford as to most loved directors.

Ingrid Bergman also enjoyed working with him. She did mention that he could be "quirky" and I THINK they may have not spoken for a while. She went to see him right before he died (he was bedridden) and showed up in a monster mask. He loved it.

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I really like his film Lifeboat, which you don't hear about as much. Tallulah Bankhead was fabulous in that film, though she presented some interesting problems for Hitch. She didn't like to wear underwear, and would often flash some of the cast members climbing in and out of the boat during filming. When one cast member complained, Hitchcock was quoted as saying, "I don't know if this is a matter for the costume department or the hairdresser."

Tallulah had a thing for many of her leading men including her co-star John Hodiak in the film. They had some pretty hot chemistry there. There was one scene where Tallulah had to kiss John during a storm which floods the boat. Sly Tallulah sticks her tongue in his mouth when it really wasn't allowed back then with the censors. It's quite obvious if you slow the scene down. Hitch had his hands full with Miss Tallulah.
    Last edited by Rudy's Girl; 01-19-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Red Leary Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I have to say I agree about The Birds, for me it is more like a horror film. But sometimes it's a fine line between the horror and suspense.
    Before the famous "Birds" scene in the film he noticed that Jessica Tandy was looking rather apprehensive so he said to her..."Remember Jessica if one flies up your skirt...grab it....a bird in the hand........."

Pooh-Bear Guest
    I was a big fan of A.H. When I first purchased a VCR in 1985, I made copies of all of his films I could. This would include a few silent ones. If you read Robert Graysmith's decoding of the second cipher one would have to wonder if the Zodiac wasn't also a fan. (A.H. phone Lake B.) Is he referring to Lake Berryessa, and is A.H. for Hitchcock? If you study the film Psycho you will discover that some of the killings were in the same locations the film was set in.

Quote Originally Posted by monroe27 View Post
    I've been watching "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" on netflix a lot. I have always loved this show. My 3 year old now goes around humming the theme song!
    Funeral March Of The Marionettes.

Vicki Lester Guest
    I've been watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Hulu....Lord, give me black and white and great scripts anyday! I can't even watch most of prime time TV to-day!

radiojane Guest
    They have it on Netflix up here too. I'd never seen it before but it was really good.

Bidmor Guest
    If you have Encore, AHP is on Encore's mystery channel too.

Reecy Guest
    He was the master of suspense. I use to read his magazines when I was a young gal.

Charleserion Guest
    The last two films were known for their unconventional soundtracks, bothorchestrated by Bernard Herrmann: The screeching strings in the assassinationscene played exceeded in psychoanalysis, the boundaries of time, and the birdscompletely with conventional instruments, but with an electronic soundtrack andproduced a song of school children (just before the infamous attack on the historicBodega Bay school) without accompaniment. It is worth noting that Santa Cruz wasonce again as the place where the bird-phenomenon, said that the former filmsoccurred.These his last great films are regarded as the speech was, then it means that his career began to lose rate (although some critics, like Robin Hood and Donald Spoto contend that Marnie, from 1964, is first-class Hitchcock, and some have argued that Frenzy unjustly neglected).

Declining health tribute to Hitchcock, it reduces its production in the last twodecades of his career. Hitchcock filmed two spy novels. The first, Torn Curtain(1966), starring Paul Newman and Julie Andrews, was a Cold War thriller. Torn Curtain shows the tip of the cooperation of twelve years between Hitchcock andcomposer Bernard Herrmann. Herrmann was rejected, as Hitchcock not happy with his score, then John Addison was set to take place Herrmann. In 1969, Topaz, another Cold War on film (from a novel by Leon Uris), has been released. Both received mixed reviews from critics.

Tippi says Hitch sexually harassed her

Tippi Hedren calls Hitchcock "evil and deviant"

http://now.msn.com/the-birds-actress...fred-hitchcock
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Lester View Post
    I've been watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Hulu....Lord, give me black and white and great scripts anyday! I can't even watch most of prime time TV to-day!
    So I am not alone in my love of Alfred Hitchcock Presents! I try never to miss one of his shows. And I love seeing
    the veterans actors and actresses of the past! I was a child when this show was hot and I still remember the theme song
    (Funeral March of the Marionette). Great writers on teleplay! Charles Gounod wrote the fantastic music in the 1800's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9A4W7RLXak

MoonRabbit Guest

I thought it was Alfred Hitchcock that made the first movie about Jack the Ripper!
    It was called THE LODGER: A STORY OF THE LONDON FOG.

I remember the movie being suspenseful!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017075/

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    Tippi Hedren calls Hitchcock "evil and deviant"

http://now.msn.com/the-birds-actress...fred-hitchcock

I read about Tippi Hedren and old Alfie! Face it he was not an attractive man and probably dreamed of these gorgeous
    young blond actresses falling for him! Grace Kelly was probably one of the first although I never heard of anything positive or negative between them.
    Dial M for Murder is one of my favorites! In a scene towards the beginning Grace Kelly actually uses Bob Cummings first name by mistake in the film and for some reason that mistake was not corrected!
    I loved seeing Alfred Hitchcock's walk in's in his films! He had a great sense of humor!
    It's a shame he took a disliking to Tippi Hedren she was a fantastic actress! Jack Kennedy liked her but never touched her.
    Tippi was visiting the White House with other visitors when JFK appeared up on some stairs. Of course JFK could not
    take his eyes off Tippi! She was so beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I read about Tippi Hedren and old Alfie! Face it he was not an attractive man and probably dreamed of these gorgeous
    young blond actresses falling for him! Grace Kelly was probably one of the first although I never heard of anything positive or negative between them.
    Dial M for Murder is one of my favorites! In a scene towards the beginning Grace Kelly actually uses Bob Cummings first name by mistake in the film and for some reason that mistake was not corrected!
    I loved seeing Alfred Hitchcock's walk in's in his films! He had a great sense of humor!
    It's a shame he took a disliking to Tippi Hedren she was a fantastic actress! Jack Kennedy liked her but never touched her.
    Tippi was visiting the White House with other visitors when JFK appeared up on some stairs. Of course JFK could not
    Good info, MoonRabbit! I've never noticed that goof in Dial M for Murder - I will check that out. I'm fortunate to have tickets to see Tippi at an event in Detroit in the Fall. She's going to be at this lovely old movie theatre and they're showing "The Birds." My husband and I have tickets to a "Dessert with Tippi Hedren" before the show. I hope we get more scoop about Alfred and old Hollywood!
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    Good info, MoonRabbit! I've never noticed that goof in Dial M for Murder - I will check that out. I'm fortunate to have tickets to see Tippi at an event in Detroit in the Fall. She's going to be at this lovely old movie theatre and they're showing "The Birds." My husband and I have tickets to a "Dessert with Tippi Hedren" before the show. I hope we get more scoop about Alfred and old Hollywood!

Thanks homesgirl!
    I noticed that goof! Grace and dreamy Bob Cummings made a good couple. It's toward the beginning of
    the movie. I couldn't believe what I heard!

Lucky you about seeing Tippi in person! Wow! If you can let us know what happened! I envy you!!!!

Did you know that Tippi once complained about Michael Jackson not paying his feed bill with some of his animals at her ranch when he was alive! She said that if he didn't start paying up she would
    be forced to go back to work. I wonder what happened with Michael's pets? Especially after he passed?

I wonder what happened with Michael's pets? Especially after he passed?
    Ask, and ye shall receive. From 2009:

http://www.eonline.com/news/131576/m...e-are-they-now

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    Ask, and ye shall receive. From 2009:

http://www.eonline.com/news/131576/m...e-are-they-now
    Thanks!
    So Michael shared his personal toilet with Bubbles the chimp. EEEEwwwww!

tarsier Guest
    I had heard strictly as a rumor that Grace Kelly put Hitchcock "over the edge" Grace was a bit of a tease and Hitchcock was often her target on set. He still liked his tall blondes afterwards but had a bitter attitude toward them.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    I had heard strictly as a rumor that Grace Kelly put Hitchcock "over the edge" Grace was a bit of a tease and Hitchcock was often her target on set. He still liked his tall blondes afterwards but had a bitter attitude toward them.
    I kind of believe that rumor as I've read Grace Kelly's history. She was a big flirt!

Giada Guest
    Hitchcock was an angry and bitter man obsessed with food, women, alcohol.

He held her hostage with her contract and for years she lived in fear she would never work again. Why? She refused to have sex with him.

Thank God one more abusing Hollywood producer/director/ is dead.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Hitchcock was an angry and bitter man obsessed with food, women, alcohol.

He held her hostage with her contract and for years she lived in fear she would never work again. Why? She refused to have sex with him.

Thank God one more abusing Hollywood producer/director/ is dead.
    The visual of Alfred Hitchcock on top of tiny Tippi is gross!

For those who have not seen it, watch "Lifeboat". Even early Hitch was great stuff.

His wife is something we would call today
    a long suffering woman.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KissingJosh View Post
    For those who have not seen it, watch "Lifeboat". Even early Hitch was great stuff.
    Thanks I want to see that! One I've missed.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    His wife is something we would call today
    a long suffering woman.
    Tippi Hedren on Alfred Hitchcock (just a few days ago)

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/tippi-h...011724950.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alfred hitchcock metal.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	43173

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by riotboots View Post

i knew it!!!!!

40. 09-19-2012, 10:45 PM
    Reason
    Spam

seems Doris Day, Eve Marie Saint and Kim Novak had no problems with Hitchcock. I have a feeling it is all in Tippi's head ( and bank account)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...ock-drama.html

radiojane Guest
    Has anyone else watched the Anthony Hopkins film? (Called Hitchcock for those who have no idea what I'm talking about?)

I really enjoyed it. I thought that it was all delightfully tongue in cheek, and I loved the casting. It focuses on a narrow window of time though. I would have loved to see more than just the "psycho" years.

I always thought all of his films were like
    a nod and a wink to us.

That we the viewers were into the joke.

navallint Guest

Unhappy Never-before-seen Alfred Hitchcock's Holocaust documentary

Directed and written by Hitchcock, only a few of these images were shown in 1985 under the title Memory of the Camps. The film is truly horrifying and heartbreaking, made by a Hitchcock that apparently fell into a depression after seeing the original material, shutting himself inside his home for a week.

WARNING: GRAPHIC, DISTURBING

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/never-befo...ent-1497155364

Sad to be sure.

Hitchcock is often misclassified as a master of horror when in reality he was a master of suspense. No suspense in the Holocaust other than the victims wondering if it'd ever end. Plenty of horror though that even someone like Hitchcock, a seasoned filmmaker of subjects involving death, would have a hard time processing I imagine.

Oh and I merged this a few days ago when you posted it as a new topic in EE. See rule 6 on forum organization in the FAQ to understand why we do things that way.

Bidmor Guest
    He could do dark comedy as well with a touch of suspense as in The Trouble With Harry. Hilarious. But, yes, Hitchcock did suspense so well, sometimes with a touch of horror as in The Birds and Psycho. But as for pure suspense, Rear Window and Dial M For Murder are textbook films. Then you have suspense with mystery, such as The Man Who Knew Too Much (the remake) and Suspicion.

BTW, SC, is your new signature quoting Mr. Jerome "Curly" Howard?

I so love all of his old movies.

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post

I always thought he was Hawaiian.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I've seen every one of his films. The Trouble with Harry is one of my favorites. Quite clever and ahead of it's time.

A big part of why profiles were added to the forum software was to keep threads on track, instead of filled with random questions about other members.

And since the thread isn't about me, I answered your question about my sig on your profile Bids. As that's where those types of belong obviously.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-16-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post

Gasp! Hitch was a Satanist.

Giada Guest
    Thought it was a toss-up for many years between Rear Window and Vertigo. I've finally settled on Rear Window as my favorite.

Spellbound by Beauty, Donald Spoto, excellent read. Hitch was certainly a valuable asset to the movie industry, but he was not a good/decent human being.