Thread: Police: College Student Gang Raped on Campus By 5 Men

ChargerBill Guest

Police: College Student Gang Raped on Campus By 5 Men

UNIONDALE, NY -- An 18-year-old student was gang-raped on her college campus early Sunday morning and police have now arrested four of her five alleged attackers.

The female student was on the grounds of the Hofstra University campus, located at 1000 Hempstead Turnpike in Uniondale, at 3am and was forcibly raped by five men, according to Nassau County's Special Victims Section.

Of the four men arrested, only one man, 21-year-old Rondell Bedward of the Bronx, is a Hofstra student.

The other three men were registered guests of Bedward's, a Hofstra University official told PIX News.

"Everyone's pretty shocked that this happened, " Hoftra senior Brent told PIX News, "The campus is pretty safe. We have security guards around the clock [and] RSRs [Resident Safety Representatives]. There are people here. So, for something like this to happen is really, really horrible."

Bedward was charged with five counts of rape in the first degree.

Also charged with five counts of rape in the first degree were Kevin R. Taveras, 20, of Brentwood; and 19-year-olds Stalin Felipe and Jesus L. Ortiz of the Bronx.

Felipe and Ortiz was additionally charged with attempted criminal sexual act in the first degree.

Ortiz stole the victim's cell phone during the sexual assault and was further charged with grand larceny in the fourth degree.

Ortiz and Bedward were arraigned Monday, and Felipe and Taeras are scheduled to be arraigned later Tuesday at the First District Court in Hempstead.

Police are searching for the fifth rapist. It is unknown if he, too, is a Hofstra student.

"I hope the girl is ok and I hope these guys get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law," Hofstra senior Brent also told PIX News.

The female victim's name and condition were not released and it is unclear if she knew any of her attackers. Also unknown is where exactly on campus the attack occurred.

Ryan, a Hofstra senior, told PIX News the university issued a statement to the student body about 13 hours after the attack and stated the case is being handled by local police.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,1512066.story

guardmom2008 Guest
    Just sickening that you entrust your son/daughter to go to college and feel that they should be safe and f*ing SOB's like this are on campus. Yes, they were registered guests and had the right to be there and that is sad. I hope they get what they deserve.

Chevyheaven Guest
    well hopefully they will all get gang raped in prison, see what it feels like for a girl.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    well hopefully they will all get gang raped in prison, see what it feels like for a girl.
    I like the way you think.

Nelliebean Guest
    well hopefully they will all get gang raped in prison,
    We can only hope.

kandykisses Guest
    Yup I was about to say I hope someone makes them their bitch in prison. A holes.

Poor girl. I hope these animals (I would use some stronger swear words but will keep them to myself) will be locked up and raped in jail.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Wow from news reports here in NY this was totally premeditated. They snagged her phone and then called her and said they found it to get her to the area where they raped her.
    They had the rope and were all set when she got there.
    they could not have possibly thought they would get away with it. What were they thinking? I don't get it. young women seem to be out there, available and willing. Why would these guys even feel the need to do this much less come up with some laternate reality where gang rape made sense.
    My great niece was raped on campus at the University of georgia and I watched the toll it took on her and how she was treated. The school actually discouraged her from prosecuting the student involved (she did not know him) and tried to get her to settle for academic punishment for him (he was a student athelete). She prosecuted and he went to jail but it has totally mess up her college experience and her life in general.
    I can't imagine what this poor girl is going through.
    regards,
    Mary
    Regards,
    mary

Guest Guest
    Sick bastards! I hope they all get severely ass-raped, then their tackle cut off slowly! These scumbags do not deserve to live!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Wow from news reports here in NY this was totally premeditated. They snagged her phone and then called her and said they found it to get her to the area where they raped her.
    they could not have possibly thought they would get away with it. What were they thinking? I don't get it. young women seem to be out there, available and willing. Why would these guys even feel the need to do this much less come up with some laternate reality where gang rape made sense.
    My great niece was raped on campus at the University of georgia and I watched the toll it took on her and how she was treated. The school actually discouraged her from prosecuting the student involved (she did not know him) and tried to get her to settle for academic punishment for him (he was a student athelete). She prosecuted and he went to jail but it has totally mess up her college experience and her life in general.
    regards,
    Mary
    Regards,
    mary
    That is beyond horrible, I do hope that Hofstra does not persuade this student to not file charges, I hope they take a stance and stand behind her.
    I am truly sorry for what happened to your great niece, no one should ever have to endure that.

regards,
    Mary
    Regards,
    mary
    I am so sorry how your Niece was treated after being raped. It shouldnt matter if the sicko who raped her was a athelete, he needed to be locked up for rape. I believe if you can rape once and then you can rape time and time again.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    That is beyond horrible, I do hope that Hofstra does not persuade this student to not file charges, I hope they take a stance and stand behind her.
    I am truly sorry for what happened to your great niece, no one should ever have to endure that.
    In my great nieces case she was in her dorm doing laundry in the laundry room and studying on a week night. The guy was from another dorm and he came in and started talking to her and then he closed and locked the door. They had never met. I think dorms are not safe and poorly policed. It was a surveillance tape that sealed the deal for the prosecution but a monitored closed circuit camera would have prevented it. The kid was drunk and alchohol on campus is a whole different issue. The defense attorney tried to use the fact that he was "impaired" as a mitigating circumstance to reduce his sentence. The judge said he made a decision to become impaired, no dice.
    Regards,
    Mary

guardmom2008 Guest
    I think some colleges need to step up with their security, at my daughter's college the doors are locked and only certain ID's when swiped will open the door to their dorm, if you live in another dorm you can't get in unless someone knows you and lets you in. I'm not saying that her college is any safer than others, I'm just saying that the colleges need to be more secure just like public schools IMHO.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    I think some colleges need to step up with their security, at my daughter's college the doors are locked and only certain ID's when swiped will open the door to their dorm, if you live in another dorm you can't get in unless someone knows you and lets you in. I'm not saying that her college is any safer than others, I'm just saying that the colleges need to be more secure just like public schools IMHO.
    Agreed! 4 of the 5 guys arrested at Hofstra were signed into the dorm by a resident. I think if your guest acts out you should be responsible and get an academic punishment. It mgiht make kids think twice about signing just anyone in and letting them roam free.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Regards,
    Mary

Misha Guest
    Mary,

I'm so sorry about your niece, and this story is just as nauseating. In response to your earlier post about how -"there are so many girls willing, why does anyone feel like they need to rape someone?" - I think rape (for the rapist) is a completely different "experience" than a normal sexual one. Meaning, I think sickos get off to the actual forcing themselves on victims. It's not that they're just "horny" and can't control themselves, it's a power trip - a rush - to conquer their victim. Does that make sense? So it's not so much the sexual act, as it is the feeling of power. Evil comes in all forms.

Misha

guardmom2008 Guest
    Agreed! 4 of the 5 guys arrested at Hofstra were signed into the dorm by a resident. I think if your guest acts out you should be responsible and get an academic punishment. It mgiht make kids think twice about signing just anyone in and letting them roam free.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Regards,
    Mary
    I agree 100%, I also think that all scholarhips are taken away, I do think that most colleges do take them away. The punishments have got to be more strict so these types of crimes stop.

young women seem to be out there, available and willing.
    You'd be surprised. It's tough enough for an ordinary guy to get some lovin'. I would guess it's even more difficult for the sort of asswipe who's capable of rape.

No matter how desperate and/or deranged you are, the appeal of rape escapes me - and especially gang rape. The idea of having sex with a woman right after someone else has is just nasty. And imagine being the last guy? Yeccckkk.

kandykisses Guest
    regards,
    Mary
    Regards,
    mary
    Mary props for your niece having the courage to prosecute and boo U of Ga for not thinking about the safety of their young women and caring more about sports(football I bet.) I am sorry your niece suffered through that but maybe someday she can find peace knowing her courage saved other girls from the same fate.

Rape is not about sex is about power and violence and degrading an woman. That's why I believe rapist should be locked up and the key thrown away. Something in their brain is short wired. They lack a part of them that makes them human and compassionate and a lot of rapist who get tried and released then end up killing their other victims so no one is around to testify.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    You'd be surprised. It's tough enough for an ordinary guy to get some lovin'. I would guess it's even more difficult for the sort of asswipe who's capable of rape.

No matter how desperate and/or deranged you are, the appeal of rape escapes me - and especially gang rape. The idea of having sex with a woman right after someone else has is just nasty. And imagine being the last guy? Yeccckkk.
    as others said, it's not about sex and/or desperation.
    it's about power and hate.

a friend of mine was gang raped 2 years ago.
    she now has a 2-year-old son who looks one of the guys.
    he's a lovely child, but she'll never get over the rape. I can't imagine what it feels like to love this person so much who looks like one of your rapists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    Poor girl. I hope these animals (I would use some stronger swear words but will keep them to myself) will be locked up and raped in jail.
    Well yeah they are animals.
    So are you and I.
    We are all animals.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    Mary,

I'm so sorry about your niece, and this story is just as nauseating. In response to your earlier post about how -"there are so many girls willing, why does anyone feel like they need to rape someone?" - I think rape (for the rapist) is a completely different "experience" than a normal sexual one. Meaning, I think sickos get off to the actual forcing themselves on victims. It's not that they're just "horny" and can't control themselves, it's a power trip - a rush - to conquer their victim. Does that make sense? So it's not so much the sexual act, as it is the feeling of power. Evil comes in all forms.

Misha
    You are right and that was inappropriate for me to say. Ads a later poster said a rapist has different wiring and it was wrong for me to lump that in with simple lust.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Well yeah they are animals.
    So are you and I.
    We are all animals.
    Yeah but I dont go around attacking people. These boys are animals who raped a girl. Thats what I mean. I know we are animals but we are normal and dont go around raping and killing people (I know they didnt kill anyone)

When the other guys came into the restroom she begged them to help her, not knowing that they were in on it too.

This brings back a lot of stuff from my assault in college. It is all about power and rape. These guys could get laid every night by a rent a snatch and they would have still raped her. It's about getting off on making someone powerless.

Unfortunately, colleges trying to sweep rapes under the rug is all too common. Athletes bring in money and that is more important then a young woman getting raped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

STsFirstmate Guest
    Newsflash here in NY. She lied!
    Police announced that the female student lied about the incident. She was not lured to the dorm, she was not tied up and she was not raped.
    she made the story up after she felt disrespected by the men at a party earlier in the evening.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/16/hofstra.rape/
    Ok how do you unring that bell for those young men? They are considering criminal charges against the young woman who made up the story.
    i see civil suits abounding here.
    This is bad on a lot of levels because it makes legitimate cases that much harder to pursue and get authorities to take it seriously.
    Regards,
    Mary

ChargerBill Guest
    So she had consentual sex with four men Sunday night

guardmom2008 Guest
    She did that to them because she felt disrespected by the men at her party? Give me a friggin break. I agree criminal charges should be put against her and she should be kicked out of college, that is just my opinion.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    So she had consentual sex with four men Sunday night
    Bill,
    I don't think think these boys have elevated much above something you would scrape off your shoe. I also suspect she was drunk and impaired when they took advantage of her but I guess she must have clearly fessed up that it wasn't rape.
    It is still bad behavior all around and no one's Mama has reason to feel proud or vindicated in this situation in my opinion.
    I know guys think with their dumb stick sometimes but what does this say about these young men's character and this young woman's sense of self worth that this was OK? I must really be naive but I would think most parents try to raise their sons and daughters not to think of each other's bodies as amusement park rides. I guess I am both a prude and old fashioned. If I had a son I would kick my son's butt into Tuesday if I found him involved in something like this consensual or not. And I would be second guessing myself as a parent.
    Regards,
    Mary

Misha Guest
    You are right and that was inappropriate for me to say. Ads a later poster said a rapist has different wiring and it was wrong for me to lump that in with simple lust.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Oh no no no! Mary, I don't think it was inappropriate for you to say at all! I often thought the same thing, as have others. I was just offering you what I've been told about this particularly horrible crime. I didn't mean for you to feel like what you said was "inappropriate." I was just offering you my lay-psychology here is all.....

Misha

Along with the other very good points other posters made....This was exactly what I was thinking!!!

Stupid bitch.... Sexual assault survivors have a hard enough time being believed without this crap
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

She should be prosecuted, and her identity put out there the same as those she accused were.

Northern Lights Guest
    What a bitch! I feel disrespected by the men all the time and I would never do something like that!

She's a cow

Wow, she's nasty. I guess I should take back what I called these lads. This girl needs to be locked up for lying.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxyMillions View Post
    She should be prosecuted, and her identity put out there the same as those she accused were.

Amen, Maxy!

Vamp Guest
    Hopefully, the experience will be worse!!!

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky_Stone View Post
    Wow, she's nasty. I guess I should take back what I called these lads. This girl needs to be locked up for lying.

ew ew ew....

GrinReaper Guest
    I had a feeling that it would turn out this way.
    Last edited by GrinReaper; 09-18-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    She's a cow
    LOL.. where's Bunny when we need her?

Anyways... I agree this skank needs to be dragged through the gutter of the media circuit. What she did to those guys is just wrong and now THEY are the victims in this mess. Stupid bitch!

Flowergrrl Guest
    WTF?!... This isn't even true!!

Never mind. I read the comments further down.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazzzld Kat View Post
    LOL.. where's Bunny when we need her?

Anyways... I agree this skank needs to be dragged through the gutter of the media circuit. What she did to those guys is just wrong and now THEY are the victims in this mess. Stupid bitch!
    What pissed me off about this story when I read it is that the DA was quoted as saying the lying bitches' "actions and her demeanor depict a very troubled young woman in need of much help". Maybe so, but why wasn't she (the DA) up in arms against this woman who almost literally ruined the lives of four young men the way she was against the men when this woman was the "victim"? WTF?!

She should be identified. It's only right.

octobersky Guest
    Things like this make so sick. Remember the Duke rape scandal? All of these guys have had their named tarnished and dragged through the mud.
    I can imagine that for every girl who cries rape about consensual sex - that 10 have been raped and didn't report it. Because of stories like this.
    I guess she was embarrassed to have had sex with all of them. But own up to what you do. How could of her first thought have been to call the police and report a rape.
    She should be suspended from the college.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Friday, Saturday and Sunday they still have the names, addresses and pictures of the five boys plastered all over the paper and local news.
    One of the boys was sad and subdued as he stood there with his Dad whose name was given and picture was shown to say he never even had sex with her. He was just in the dorm and in and out of the bathroom.
    The father was so upset and said "What will happen when my boy interviews for a job?"
    The other boys were smiling anf giving a thumbs up for the camera. I think they don't get that this will remain all over their shoes for a long time. True or not it has tainted their reputation.
    The woman who started all of this and who has changed the lives of these young men has still not been identified in the papers with either her name or her picture.
    There was a flood of letters to the editior calling the papers on not printing her name and picture. The papers are maintaining they are still choosing to extend the protections they would extend to any victim of sexual assualt.
    I am trying to come to terms with their answer. Either they know she was so impaired she could not have really concented or they are withholding her name in some sort of ill conceived double standard.
    I personally think her picture and name should be shown. She forfited her right to privacy when she lied about those boys.
    How do you unring that bell?
    regards,
    Mary

She needs to be identified, and it needs to be CLEARLY shown that she is being identified BECAUSE she lied, not because she reported it. That is SUCH a slap in the face to anyone who's actually been sexually assaulted. Just like you don't yell "fire" in a crowded building when there isn't one, you don't yell "rape" when it didn't happen. Innocent people end up getting hurt.

There was a quick mention that I missed most of at my office on the TV. It mentioned some sort of video of the time in question, and said that it resembled a "porn movie." I would like to see it confirmed, though.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    There was a quick mention that I missed most of at my office on the TV. It mentioned some sort of video of the time in question, and said that it resembled a "porn movie." I would like to see it confirmed, though.
    There is an 8 minute cell phone video that emerged that played a big part in clearing them. It was shot in the bathroom and when the police, who were already having issues with how inconsistent her story was, saw the video they went back at her with that info and she recanted.
    I am wondering if that video will surface somewhere?
    regards,
    mary

MbalmR Guest
    This is a cruel hoax indeed. When I read the initial article, I asked myself what this young damsel was doing out at 3:00 in the morning! Not that that would ever excuse a crime against her or anyone else, but some common sense has to be applied at some point. Anyway, I am enraged by this story. As Firstmate points out, it not only sullies the reputations of innocent men, but it also puts real victims in the position of not being believed, and rape cases are hard enough to prosecute without a history of falsified stories of crimes that never happened.

On the other hand....................get a load of this. We had a rape case years ago in our area, and the alleged offender spent something like 18 years in prison before DNA evidence exonerated him. He was released from prison, and then committed MURDER. My point is that wrongly accused "felons" probably exhibit behaviors that invite false or mistaken claims.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    This is a cruel hoax indeed. When I read the initial article, I asked myself what this young damsel was doing out at 3:00 in the morning! Not that that would ever excuse a crime against her or anyone else, but some common sense has to be applied at some point. Anyway, I am enraged by this story. As Firstmate points out, it not only sullies the reputations of innocent men, but it also puts real victims in the position of not being believed, and rape cases are hard enough to prosecute without a history of falsified stories of crimes that never happened.

On the other hand....................get a load of this. We had a rape case years ago in our area, and the alleged offender spent something like 18 years in prison before DNA evidence exonerated him. He was released from prison, and then committed MURDER. My point is that wrongly accused "felons" probably exhibit behaviors that invite false or mistaken claims.
    While it is not my school of thought there is the idea that if it is a career criminal if they didn't do this they did something else. certainly not applicable to the young men here as I am sure you agree.
    As it says on a 2 nd Marine Air wing Tshirt I have "Kill them all and let God sort them out."
    I do think these young men exhibited churlish and extremely poor behavior in this act. If I were their parent I would be so disappointed in them right now.
    I can remember being at a large party at an isolated camp on the Ohio River back in the 70s. I had way too much to drink and I guess some guy I didn't know at the party started getting way too interested in me and the next thing I knew I was surrounded by male friends who put me right in the middle of them and cut me off and never left my side for the rest of the party.
    I was very greatful and I think they did the right thing based on what they were taught was right and wrong.
    This young woman deserves to be outed but I wouldn't want these young men dating my daughter if I had one.
    I have more faith in men than some people seem to. I think they are capable thinking before they do something and every decision, even when they are young, is not always ruled by their dumb stick. I also thing SOME, not al but SOME parents have given up trying to teach their boys and girls restraint and the nuances of good behavior. The boys will be boys excuse carrys no weight with me.
    Regards,
    Mary