Thread: Cab Calloway

simon69 Guest

Cab Calloway

Cab Calloway -- the legendary "Hi De Ho" man -- was a energetic showman, gifted singer, talented actor and trendsetting fashion plate. A truly "larger than life" figure in American pop culture, immortalized in cartoons and caricatures, Calloway also led one of the greatest bands of the Swing Era.

The middle-class Calloway family hoped their son would become a lawyer like his father. But young Cabell, born in Rochester, New York, on Christmas Day in 1907, and raised primarily in Baltimore, Maryland, wanted to be an entertainer. Cab did attend law school in Chicago, but the hours past sunset found him performing in local nighclubs.

It was in such a club where he met trumpeter Louis Armstrong, who taught him to sing in the scat style. Calloway's oldest sister Blanche was also a professional singer, and she helped him land a stage role on the road with the "Plantation Days" revue in 1925.

Eventually, Cab left law school to sing with a band called the Alabamians. While on the road, the group went head-to-head, (and state vs. state!) in a battle-of-the-bands with a mid-west ensemble, the Missourians. After the dust settled, The Missourians had won -- Cab would later join and then lead the group.

In 1930, the Cotton Club emerged as a hip new club in Harlem known for its lavish stage shows and talented musicians like Duke Ellington (left). Cab's singing and showmanship captured the attention of the owner and his band was hired to replace the Ellington's band.

In 1931, Cab and his manager, Irvin Mills, put together a song that will forever be identified with Calloway -- "Minnie The Moocher." The tune sold over one million copies and the group soon broke every existing record for all-black band audiences.

The success of "Minnie the Moocher" and its steady gig at the Cotton Club had Cab's big band in constant demand. The group spent quite a bit of time on the road and when racism reared its ugly head Cab used proceeds from the Cotton Club and "Minnie" money to travel lavishly by chartered train.

By the late 1930s, Cab's band was one of the top grossing acts in jazz and had become a proving ground for such young talents as Dizzy Gillespie, Ben Webster, Cozy Cole, Chu Berry and Doc Cheatham. However, by the late '40s, Cab's bad financial decisions -- and gambling -- caught up with him, and the band broke up.

Cab went back to playing in small clubs and eventually landed a part in the Broadway play Porgy and Bess as the character Sportin Life -- a role Calloway would claim that George Gershwin based on him. The show was a huge success, breathing much-needed new life into Calloway's career.

Cab's scat singing, dancing, comedic personality and flashy elegance had made him a star and a million-selling recording artist. He continued to perform right up until his death in 1994 at the age of 88.

Gunther Schuller sums up Calloway's brilliance as an entertainer: "People still remember Cab Calloway as a dancer and vaudevillian with his wonderful white tuxedos and all of that -- and, as a great, great showman."

simon69 Guest

Cab Calloway - Minnie The Moocher (Blues Brothers 1980)

radiojane Guest
    I'd forgotten about Minnie the Moocher...

Nelliebean Guest

Nelliebean Guest

Nelliebean Guest

Forever-27 Guest
    He was awsome in The Blues Brothers. I saw him once at an Oakland A's game in the early 1980s. Him and Crazy George was leading the crowd in Minnie the Moocher song. It was awsome.

He made Minnie the Moocher when he was hammered. The words are all ad-libs and they came out great. I think theres like 3 different versions of it
    Last edited by Forever-27; 09-02-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Nelliebean Guest

Guest Guest
    Cool performer - here he is singing 'Hi de ho man' on Sesame Street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnDnIK2v1g

rickenbacker Guest
    If you like Cab Calloway, you gotta have this CD. Nice compilation.

And remember Callaway's Law: For every hi-de-hi, there must be an equal and corresponding ho-de-ho.

What a smile and manic dancing he had...I don't know how anyone could have seen him in action and not have been energized by his performance! A great talent that is greatly missed.

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Cool performer - here he is singing 'Hi de ho man' on Sesame Street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnDnIK2v1g
    Tanks for tat, Vlad !

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Tanks for tat, Vlad !
    You're welcome It's a fun clip!

simon69 Guest

Cab Calloway - St. James Infirmary

simon69 Guest

Cab Calloway - Reefer Man High Quality

Nelliebean Guest
    I bet Cab was interesting at parties.

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    I bet Cab was interesting at parties.
    Speaking of Cab I met him at a party and he was very sweet.

To tell you the truth I didn't even know who he was... My friends whispered to me that he was a star. Only when I heard him sing did I become mezmorized by this gracious man.

Nelliebean Guest
    Lucky you, Reecy! I loved his outfits.
    Last edited by Nelliebean; 09-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by simon69 View Post

Great song!

I am a huge fan of Donnie Iris (whom most of you have probably never heard of as he's a local guy) and go see him quite a bit. He does this song every time.

Fancynancy Guest
    I LOVE Cab Calloway!!

Nelliebean Guest
    Last edited by Nelliebean; 09-10-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Old Soul Guest
    I love his St. James Infirmary blues

ShockDoc Guest
    I think I read somewhere that he was almost a tee totaler and didnt indulge pot, even tho he sang REEFER MAN and was VERY loosey-goosey onstage. Anybody know different?

Pat MaGroin Guest

Cab Calloway and Pearl Bailey Autographs

He was good in Blues Brothers. Don't know him much beyond that.

Here is a theater program with his and Pearl Bailey's Autographs...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CabCallowayPearlBaileyHelloDolly.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	29502  

Mulvaness Guest
    Love, Love, Love Minnie The Moocher!!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08wOPt-2PeE
    I can remember him on Sesame Street when I was little.
    Hi de hidehidehi

Mulvaness Guest
    Banned Betty Boop cartoon featuring Minnie the Moocher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IfEqkTArQ

Sesame Street featuring Cab.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnDn...eature=related

Mulvaness Guest
    ooops sorry Vlad!!!!!!

Miri81 Guest
    I remember him from the Janet Jackson video for "Alright".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgeAUejUZhg

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Cab Calloway was one of MJs biggest influences in dancing. Cab is ofter overlooked as a big band leader and in everything else. his songs about drugs and prostitution were WAY ahead of their time considering they came out in the 1930s and 40s.

you spell Cab Calloway, C-O-O-L-N-E-S-S. this cat was about as cool as anyone can get.

Morto Guest
    I got to see Cab Calloway at the Sacramento Jazz Festival years ago when he was up in age,I would say in the early to mid 80s.This guy was wild!Fantastic and it is a great memory since so many talented people have passed away now.

Whitdal Guest

Cab was rotoscoped for this performance of St. James Infirmary Blues on Betty Boop's Snow White as KoKo the Clown and numerous other episodes in the 30's performing his songs. I remembered watching a few when I was a kid, didn't really understand what was going on at the time but seeing it as an adult I really appreciate it so much more.

I so enjoyed his music.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Me, too. Boo-Wah Boo-Wah is my ringtone.

A few years ago I found a post card that he had sent to a local prominent family advertising his upcoming show. I sold it to a local collector of memorabilia.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitdal View Post

Cab was rotoscoped for this performance of St. James Infirmary Blues on Betty Boop's Snow White as KoKo the Clown and numerous other episodes in the 30's performing his songs. I remembered watching a few when I was a kid, didn't really understand what was going on at the time but seeing it as an adult I really appreciate it so much more.
    How cool is that? Excellent post mate.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Whitdal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    How cool is that? Excellent post mate.
    I thought it was, too! Glad I found a place to share it