Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Hughes

stacebabe Guest
    My 80's childhood is croaking this summer. WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I concur with your words precisely! Since it is my birthday & I'm feeling sentimental, the words to a Simon & Garfunkel song come to mind.

From "Bookends"

Time it was and what a time it was it was,
    A time of innocence a time of confidences.

Long ago it must be, I have a photograph
    Preserve your memories, theyre all thats left you.

RIP, thank you for your work.
    Happy birthday, DJ! Your words are perfect.

I am really crying-this man helped define my adolescence. Michael Jackson may have been the soundtrack, but John Hughes wrote our scenes. I am so freaking sad

Jazbabee Guest
    Unbelieveable

Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    My 80's childhood is croaking this summer. WTF!
    The universe better leave Duran Duran alone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

katsuel Guest
    RIP Mr. Hughes..............you made millions laugh and I for one will miss you...

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    The universe better leave Duran Duran alone.
    It already got one of their backup singers.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17887
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	434119234_d5836e4b8e_o.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	15425  

Pryncis Guest
    This sucks...

Bee1001 Guest
    JUST watched Ferris Bueller yesterday. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm watching every John Hughes movie I own. Which is a lot.

RIP.

RIP Mr. Hughes.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Dane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen_Death_Hag View Post
    OMG who's next?? I feel like the 80's are just dying off 1 by 1
    I know, right? Damn, like I needed to feel older!

I'm sorry for all the peeps that lived in the 80s...I was born in 1987 so I was just a baby, but RIP to Mr. Hughes...love The Breakfast Club...and even though I have NEVER seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I have even quoted that famous line:

"Bueller...? Bueller...? Bueller...?"

LOL!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

MoonRabbit Guest
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DJDEATH-HAG!

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJames View Post
    Oh man....2009 has totally been a whopper...

RIP Mr. Hughes
    No kidding! What other surprises await us?
    And things are so damn bad to top it off.
    John Hughes was a genius!

In California people are being practically thrown out in the streets.
    Because Apartment owners are losing their properties!

It is horrible.

What a bummer! I don't like it when pieces of my childhood start dying off.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Aww, now I love some of his movies! RIP Mr. Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Malotte View Post
    I'm so bummed.

I know it's not PC - but one of my fave scenes of all time in any Hughes flick is in Sixteen Candles when Jake is trying to find out from Long Duc Dong where Samantha is.

"She go to church, get mahlied!"

My husband and I say that to each other all the time when we are trying to make a point - MAHLIED!
    LOL Gotta love TheDonger!

I've always enjoyed two of the films he did with John Candy.
    Uncle Buck and Planes,Trains & Automobles.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

19. 08-07-2009, 02:22 AM

james1977 Guest
    I am just sad,what a rough year. Natasha Richardson, beautiful gal,Michael Jackson and now John Hughes,this just sucks.Everybody is dying off.My dad died at 60 and John dies at 59.He was wealthy and he still died.It's like we were all still one.No matter how much money we had.R.I.P. John,you were the greatest.Movies that defined my whole life.Sixteen Candles- Where Samantha says ,'Long Duk has been here for 2 days and he has someone and me,I'm like a disease" I never forgot that line. We have all learned many things from watching these awesome timeless movies.John,you taught me that we were all the same.We have much more in common with each other ,98 percent, than any of our so-called differences.The movies are forever ,thanks for the memories and we will cherish these movies forever.R.I.P. John. Thanks

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Impatience View Post
    as did mine. He directed all of my favorite movies.
    Same here..loved his movies..at 46 I still watch them when they're on and relive my youth every time...Breakfast Club is my all time favorite..RIP Mr. Hughes thanks for the memories.

Snudgie Guest
    I'm so sad about this.......I think I'll have a Hughes movie marathon tonight....thank you so much Mr Hughes....for all your amazing work....RIP...xx

STORMIE Guest
    This is just depressing. John Hughes movies represent my childhood/teen years. So sad. . .

buddyhollylover Guest
    jesus christ.

yup, like others said here, my youth is dying. i LOVE all his movies. uncle buck is my fav, geez...i don't think this guy made any movie that sucked, they where ALL cool. this really saddens me. i'm so bummed.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyhollylover View Post
    jesus christ.

yup, like others said here, my youth is dying. i LOVE all his movies. uncle buck is my fav, geez...i don't think this guy made any movie that sucked, they where ALL cool. this really saddens me. i'm so bummed.
    Oh God Uncle Buck I forgot about that one..absolutely loved it! as well as Planes,Trains and Automobiles.. all classics.
    Last edited by Snoopy; 08-07-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    He made most of my all time favorite movies. I so wanted to be Molly Ringwald!

RIP Mr. Hughes, you defined my youth.

Mrs F Guest
    I wouldn't be the movie freak I am today without John Hughes, RIP

Mrs. Watson Guest

http://www.people.com/people/article...296605,00.html

Sounds like he was a very much loved man. R.I.P.

I am a few years too old for the generational resonance, but I did enjoy some of Hughes's work, plus being a little older, recall some of the stories he wrote for the National Lampoon. It's extra sad and rather scary for someone in our age demographic because, like Billy Mays, Hughes died in the midst of doing "normal" stuff. Plus, Hughes had a long-standing marriage, don't recall hearing anything derogatory about him or that he was prone to ill health.
    And yet he was not rewarded with a longer life!!! Perhaps this sort of ailment ran in his family.

princess_oasis Guest
    Im so sad about this, The Breakfast Club & Pretty In Pink are my 2 fav films, ever xx

RIP xx

Paige B Guest
    Oh....how sad. Mr. Hughes was a huge part of my growing up. To this day, Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of my all time favorite movies. If anybody out there wants to do Ferris quotes with me, I'd love it!!

kafenervosa Guest
    So sad, and only 59. Thanks for the great films.

jhasty1210 Guest

John Hughes

I just read an article regarding this person who was John Hughes' pen pal for two years.
    I must admit I teared up reading it. What a wonderful person he was.
    It is a must read for anyone who loved his movies and through them him.
    http://wellknowwhenwegetthere.blogspot.com/2009/08/sincerely-john-hughes.html

I have alot of fond memories of my teenage years watching "The Breakfast Club" with all my high school girlfriends on a friday night....

This year is really making me feel old....all my high school idols are dying....damn.

RIP Mr. Hughes and thanks for all the memories...
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Paige B View Post
    Oh....how sad. Mr. Hughes was a huge part of my growing up. To this day, Ferris Bueller's Day Off is one of my all time favorite movies. If anybody out there wants to do Ferris quotes with me, I'd love it!!
    Didn't the actor who played that smarmy principal get arrested for child molestation?

For you, Paige B......
    "The question isn't 'what are we going to do', the question is 'what aren't we going to do'?"

and the link I stole it from
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/quotes

When I was 20, all it took was watching Sixteen Candles with my then fiance to doom the relationship. At the very end, when Jake and Samantha were sitting on top of the table with the b-day cake, I snuffled a wee bit (as I always do-I cried at the end of Sid & Nancy as well as True Romance). And I thought, "If I stay with him, I'll never have a first kiss again." That scene has since been the litmus test-if I'm happy to watch it with someone, and not bothered by that kiss, then I'm where I'm supposed to be.

dcg76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paige B View Post
    Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond.

dcg76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxyMillions View Post
    Didn't the actor who played that smarmy principal get arrested for child molestation?

Jefferey Jones, and I think it was a Roman Polanski type deal, where he was making a minor pose nude, or something like that.

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I am so saddened by his death.

My childhood was defined by his movies.

RIP, John. Us 80's kids will NEVER forget you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktNZpUTMoQ

dcg76 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post

Lake. Big Lake!

Perdi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jhasty1210 View Post
    I just read an article regarding this person who was John Hughes' pen pal for two years.
    Oh My God!!! That totally made me cry!!! What an amazing story though - and what a lucky young lady!!

This is so sad. Breakfast Club was the first film I watched that I really 'got', you know? It was like John Hughes really understood what it was like to be my age and slightly awkward - not in a 'I was your age once' kind of a way that your mum always said she understood, but really properly. He got it. And through his Brat Pack films he made growing up easier.

Thank you for that most precious of gifts Mr Hughes. RIP. x

buddyhollylover Guest

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post

My absolute fave movie ever. I watch it every time its on TV.

Guest Guest
    Funny how I can watch so many of his films, yet not recognise him as the guy responsible.
    R.I.P

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jhasty1210 View Post
    That is a wonderful story. To take the time to continue writing to a young girl and it made such an impression in her life. I like how John mentions to her that he moved his family away from Hollywood because he was worried about his sons and for what "Hollywood" had done to his friend, John Candy. Thanks for posting this..

Patience54 Guest

Low Key Funeral

Hughes, who directed such enduring '80s teen comedies as "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and oversaw the 1990 box-office smash "Home Alone" while living on the North Shore, died Thursday of a heart attack in Manhattan at 59. He was remembered at an invitation-only service at Wenban Funeral Home, where security personnel checked off mourners' names at the door.

Mourners arrived for the noon funeral, their cars quickly filling the small parking lot (a van shuttled the rest from a nearby area). They ranged from infant to elderly, and aside from the rare familiar face, this was a crowd whom Hughes, not the world, knew -- as befitting an incredibly successful filmmaker who lived an increasingly low-profile life outside Chicago rather than in the Hollywood spotlight.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6049018.story

RIP John

ChargerBill Guest
    Special tribute to John Hughes Sunday night 9/6 at Hollywood Forever. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is the feature presentation....

http://www.cinespia.org/calendar/2/

THANK YOU, JOHN....YOUR MOVIES WERE THE BEST!!!

"boo...hoo!" Bender, Breakfast Club
    Hurry back...hurry back...don't forget to bring your....death certificate!! [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dcg76 Guest
    I just watched the Breakfast Club again today. Boy do I loves me some John Hughes. May he RIP.

STsFirstmate Guest
    They did a very nice salute to John on the Oscars last night.
    They had a lot of the kids who performed in those movies standing there as adults. It was an interesting group. Some have fared better than others clearly.
    Still it was a nice set of clips and interesting and touching to see.
    There doesn't seem to be anyone out there now that is capturing this generation of young people in the same fascinating and true way. I guess this generation is stuck with Avatars and Vampires.
    That sort of makes them a virtual generation???? How sad for them.
    Regards,
    Mary