Thread: Paul Stojanovich - COPS Producer

Guest Guest

Paul Stojanovich - COPS Producer

As a teenager, Stojanovich became an avid photographer, saving his money to buy an expensive Hasselblad camera and getting his own dark room in his father's barn in Campbell, California. His father Chester Stojanovich was an entimologist with a Doctorate from Stanford and his mother Martha Stojanovich was one of the first women to work at the Center of Disease Control. She was diagnosed with schizophrenia shortly after he was born causing him to turn to photography and making home movies to seek refuge. He won the respect of Graham Nash, an avid photographer, at the age of 13 and was privileged to collaborate with him. At 16, he dropped out of high school and started taking film making classes from Larry Booth in Half Moon Bay, California. His experience as a photographer made the transition to motion pictures relatively easy. His interest in policing began when he was attending high school in San Jose, often listening to his police scanner. He even subscribed to a CHP magazine.
    He combined his interest in photography and film-making and his interest in police work when he convinced some friends with the San Jose Sheriff's Office Narco unit to let him hang and film. The film became the Emmy-award winning documentary Narco. Stojanovich then spent a few years working as a camerman for then NBC affiliate KRON. In the early 1980s, while working as a camera man at KRON, Stojanovich got to meet one of his favorite photographers, Ansel Adams. Adams was particularly interested in Stojanovich's video camera.
    The Beaverton, Oregon Police Department made Stojanovich a Honorary Special Reserve Officer.
    After serving as a producer of COPS and producing and creating the ABC series American Detective, Stojanovich executive produced a series of crime reality shows , including World's Scariest Police Chases and Ultimate Police Challenge.
    Before that, he was a field producer for the ABC news magazine 20/20 produced the documentary Narco and was creative consultant on Oliver Stone's film Natural Born Killers.

Stojanovich died on March 15, 2003 after accidentally falling off a cliff while posing for a photograph his fiance, Kim Crowell, was taking. He was 47. His body was found 29 days later.

I remember this happening. What a horrible way to go. Oh, and to watch your loved one die that way. (shaking my head)..Yikes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Kathyf Guest
    How horrible falling and knowing yu would die.

There was a fellow here in West Virginia about 15 years back who convinced his wife to stand on a stone railing for a photo at a sceneic overlook at Hawks Nest. As she was trying to balance herself and talk her husband out of the picture, he pushed her over and she fell about 300 feet. The husband thought he was so slick and got away with it but he had failed to notice an elevated ranger observation post where three rangers saw him do the deed.

This is my first post and if Scott should read this I would like to thank him for this website.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

I think the show COPS has been a bad influence.Now all the cops want to pull their guns and scream at the drop of a hat.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

GrinReaper Guest
    Is this the same guy that made an apperance in one of Michael Moore's films? Where he said that if you look up the word "liberal" in the dictionary you would see his picture.
    Same one?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    There was a fellow here in West Virginia about 15 years back who convinced his wife to stand on a stone railing for a photo at a sceneic overlook at Hawks Nest. As she was trying to balance herself and talk her husband out of the picture, he pushed her over and she fell about 300 feet. The husband thought he was so slick and got away with it but he had failed to notice an elevated ranger observation post where three rangers saw him do the deed.

This is my first post and if Scott should read this I would like to thank him for this website.
    Oooohh I so would love to know more about that story!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

MoonRabbit Guest
    "Stojanovich died on March 15, 2003 after accidentally falling off a cliff while posing for a photograph his fiance, Kim Crowell, was taking. He was 47. His body was found 29 days later."

I love COPS! Great show!

What an awful way to die! I've heard of so many people falling like that while either posing for a photo or just
    visiting dangerous places like mountains or cliffs. You have to be very careful as you can lose your footing.
    I knew of a family that went to the mountains in the 60's and nearly lost a family member near the edge of a cliff. Even their family dog nearly fell off!

Must have been a hell of a cliff if it took them 29 days to find his body.

I find these cop shows depressing in a way.

It is always the same type of low level pathetic losers that gets busted. Never a mid or high level kingpin.

The cops spend an inordinate amount of time and resource to bust someone with a joint or a couple of oxy pills. Hardly the big time. No wonder we are losing the war on drugs.

Nero fiddles whilst Rome burns.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

[QUOTE=neilmpenny;1355723]Must have been a hell of a cliff if it took them 29 days to fthese cop shows depressing it's always the same type of low level pathetic losers that gets busted. Never a mid or high level kingpin.
    [/QUOTE=neilmpenny]

Great observation, Neil. I guess why those types of busts are left to boring network shows.
    Last edited by Aviatrix; 02-17-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post

I find these cop shows depressing in a way.

It is always the same type of low level pathetic losers that gets busted. Never a mid or high level kingpin.

The cops spend an inordinate amount of time and resource to bust someone with a joint or a couple of oxy pills. Hardly the big time. No wonder we are losing the war on drugs.

Nero fiddles whilst Rome burns.
    You're right of course, but one of my guilty pleasures is a visceral delight in seeing bad guys get tazed.

12. 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM
    Reason
    Spam

13. 05-03-2013, 04:01 AM

Johnnybgood Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    "Stojanovich died on March 15, 2003 after accidentally falling off a cliff while posing for a photograph his fiance, Kim Crowell, was taking. He was 47. His body was found 29 days later."

The way I heard it was he was 'clowning around' for the photo but on a tree branch which extended out over the cliff. Then he started to lose his grip on the branch and just slipped away with his fiancee watching in horror.
    Very very sad.

wonkavision Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    He fell off the cliff and right into the Pacific Ocean and was lost at sea until his body washed up on shore and was found by two kayakers.
    Last edited by wonkavision; 03-27-2014 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    You're right of course, but one of my guilty pleasures is a visceral delight in seeing bad guys get tazed.
    Light 'em up!

Quote Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
    He fell off the cliff and right into the Pacific Ocean and was lost at sea until his body washed up on shore and was found by two kayakers.
    See how one seemingly insignificant little detail can totally alter the whole story?

He fell into the Pacific Ocean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I think the show COPS has been a bad influence.Now all the cops want to pull their guns and scream at the drop of a hat.
    Not to mention talking to themselves about their personal lives in their squad cars as if anyone gives a rat's behind.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

wonkavision Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybgood View Post

The way I heard it was he was 'clowning around' for the photo but on a tree branch which extended out over the cliff. Then he started to lose his grip on the branch and just slipped away with his fiancee watching in horror.
    Very very sad.
    I heard that too. He was goofing off trying to impress himself with his virility. Darwin approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud666 View Post
    Or when the canine's are unleashed!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Or when the canine's are unleashed!
    They like to use K9s against protesters here. Since I might find myself one the receiving end one day, for me this falls under the category of "instructional video". But that dog is gonna have a hard time eating my banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    Not to mention talking to themselves about their personal lives in their squad cars as if anyone gives a rat's behind.
    lol that was our favorite part of the show! Back when it was on my best friend and I were obsessed with this show. We would seriously ride around with this little tape recorder and talk like we were on Cops. One time we were in a really bad storm and we were recording as we ran into the house and I said something like "right now we're in the eye of the storm" and it had all the wind blowing and background noise and stuff, we still laugh when we talk about it. Yes, it's dorky but it was mindless fun for the young.

You know, it would be cool to see the last pic or video of him right before the fall... I still watch COPS on Spike TV to this day. I miss America's Most Wanted.
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    lol that was our favorite part of the show! Back when it was on my best friend and I were obsessed with this show. We would seriously ride around with this little tape recorder and talk like we were on Cops. One time we were in a really bad storm and we were recording as we ran into the house and I said something like "right now we're in the eye of the storm" and it had all the wind blowing and background noise and stuff, we still laugh when we talk about it. Yes, it's dorky but it was mindless fun for the young.
    Actually, that sounds pretty cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]