Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrities who died while working or at the peak of their fame

Chevyheaven Guest
    John Candy was filming Wagons North when he kicked the bucket.

a clever sheep Guest
    Harry "Parkyakarkus" Einstein died while performing at a Friar's Club roast honoring Lucy and Desi November 24, 1958. He had a fatal heart attack and slumped over onto Milton Berle's lap. Harry was Albert Brooks' father. Alexander Woolcott had a heart attack on a radio show 1/23/1943 and died that night. Also fatally stricken while performing: Nelson Eddy, Irene Ryan, Grover Washington, Jr. and legendary stunt pilot Paul Mantz.

interrestedintn Guest
    Wasn't Randy Rhodes on tour with Ozzy when he was killed?

tngirl1967 Guest
    Randy was indeed on tour with Ozzy....so sad the circumstances. Sharon's book has a chapter around the accident, it is so very sad. The guy piloting took two innocent lives with him.

Jigsaw Guest
    Some of you named ones I was going to name. Does anyone remember Moms Mabley? She was an elderly black woman who sang blues songs and had a comedy routine. Often on TV in the '70's. She died onstage.

jigsaw

BeeCee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Some of you named ones I was going to name. Does anyone remember Moms Mabley? She was an elderly black woman who sang blues songs and had a comedy routine. Often on TV in the '70's. She died onstage.

jigsaw
    I remember Moms Mabley...I believe she did all that sans teeth. She was funny, odd, sad and scary all at once.

MeltingCandle Guest

NickyBeth Guest
    Well, there is Will Lee -- the guy that played Mr. Hooper on Sesame Street. Had a heart attack and Sesame Street had to explain it to us kids when he didn't come back to run the store anymore.

Madeline Kahn. Was working on the "Little Bill" show doing voice work when the ovarian/uterine cancer got her.

Anne Bancroft. Had filmed the finale episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" for Season 4, then died shortly afterward.

Karen Carpenter.

Judy Garland.

Rudolph Valentino.

Jim Henson. Probably the one that stands out most in my mind.

Hope I've given you some good names to go on for my first post. Muahahahaha.

Jigsaw Guest

Really Died While Working

I'm surprised none of you have mentioned him. What about the crocodile hunter, Steve Irwin? He was being filmed swimming over stingrays and believed he was safe. Then a huge one stabbed him right in the heart. Irwin pulled the stinger out of his heart and instantly died. The stingers are pointed in such a way that if you pull them out, they do more damage than when they went in. This happened suddenly and was filmed. Of course, the film will not be shown.

jigsaw

NickyBeth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    I'm surprised none of you have mentioned him. What about the crocodile hunter, Steve Irwin? He was being filmed swimming over stingrays and believed he was safe. Then a huge one stabbed him right in the heart. Irwin pulled the stinger out of his heart and instantly died. The stingers are pointed in such a way that if you pull them out, they do more damage than when they went in. This happened suddenly and was filmed. Of course, the film will not be shown.

jigsaw
    Cough.....cough.....post # 8 in this thread has Steve Irwin from back in October......cough........

Can we count Anna Nicole Smith as working?

There's also Peg Entwhistle. Jumped offa the Hollywood Sign right as her movie was about to premier.....

Natalie Wood was technically working....on Brainstorm, right? They brought in Lana Wood and doubles to finish the film.

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    It's actually Wagons East but yea lol

Timothy Treadwell.

Heath Ledger
    Last edited by suzycreamcheese1; 06-09-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Comedian Dick Shawn (Sylvester in those crazy red shorts on It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World -playing the crazy son of Ethel Merman)
    He died from a Heart Attack while performing. As Imdb says, 'The irony of his death on stage is that it went "unnoticed" because of Shawn's strict instructions to stage crews. He would tell all concerned that he was liable to do anything at any time, including pratfalls, and that they were not to react to this. At his last performance, it did not occur to anyone that something tragic had happened until it was felt that his lying motionless on stage had run the joke rather thin. It was only then that Shawn was discovered to have died doing what he did best; enthralling his audience with his marvelous humour.'

wakey Guest
    in keeping with actors who died while working. dont know if they were filmed but in 1966 actor Eric Fleming from Wagon Train drown while filming a movie. and in 1976 Godfrey Cambridge died of heart attack on set of film where he was to play Idi Amin

Bleedstreet Guest
    Originally Posted by Flmlvr
    "I'm going to go ahead and say Carmen Miranda. She was on live television on The Jimmy Durante Show when her heart attack started. If you watch "Bananas Is My Business", check out the last recorded image of Carmen a few hours before she died and tell me if that isn't eerie. It sure is to me."

5:50 into this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Vx3nwPbIM

Bleedstreet Guest
    Country Dick Montana

Country Dick Montana (born Daniel McLain May 17, 1955 in Carmel, California ā?? died November 8, 1995 in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada) was a musician best known as a member of the Beat Farmers.
    In 1995 Montana suffered a heart attack and died during a Beat Farmers concert in British Columbia, Canada. The band broke up shortly thereafter.
    "The Ballad of Country Dick" by Mojo Nixon was written after his death.
    In 1996, posthumous solo album "The Devil Lied To Me" was released

Bleedstreet Guest

Dimebag shot in the face

Nelliebean Guest
    [quote=Bleedstreet;247720]Originally Posted by Flmlvr
    "I'm going to go ahead and say Carmen Miranda. She was on live television on The Jimmy Durante Show when her heart attack started. If you watch "Bananas Is My Business", check out the last recorded image of Carmen a few hours before she died and tell me if that isn't eerie. It sure is to me.

Is it my imagination or does she collapse onto her knees for a few second? That's eerie!

19. 05-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Jigsaw Guest
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned him, but actor Leslie Howard, who starred with Bette Davis and was in Gone with the Wind. He went to war and his plane disappeared and never found. Working for the Military is work and he was right in the worst of it.
    Last edited by Jigsaw; 05-10-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: grammar

Electrocuted While Performing Or Rehearsing

Les Harvey-Stone The Crows
    Keith Relf-The Yardbirds
    Last edited by suzycreamcheese1; 05-10-2008 at 07:51 AM.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post

I was thinking about John today- I loved the movie, "Only The Lonely" and I think he was on his way to winning an Oscar, but the Reaper had other plans.

I forgot he was only 44 when he died-yikes! It's reported that John was trying to make changes and had quit smoking and was trying to lose weight. I have heard of people dying because they've been on a diet- like a rapid weight loss is hard on the heart.

An article I read said that his father died of a heart attack at age 35!
    I wonder if the weight problem was just one symptom of whole bunch of health problems he inheirited from his dad?

Sure miss him.

cherryghost Guest
    Tiny Tim!

cherryghost Guest
    [quote=Reecy;163855]I have always heard about this but I've never seen it. Now I'm really curious. I loved Carmen Miranda.[/quote

The pic is in Hollywood Babylon 2 I believe! I should check my books but I think its the second one!]

louis sardenga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Carmen Miranda, Curly from 3 Stooges
    curly suffered a major stroke on the set as he was waiting to be called but he died 6years later.

angelo's ghost Guest
    Marion Lorne & Alice Pearce while they were still working on"Bewitched"

Bea Benaderet from 'Petticoat Junction'

Burt Mustin & Judith Lowry from 'Phyllis'. There was also a woman on that show in the first season who was murdered. First name Barbara, I think

Will Geer from 'The Waltons'

Pete Duel shot himself while still working on 'Alias Smith & Jones'

Freddie Prinze while working on 'Chico and the Man'

Floyd the Barber from 'Andy Griffith'

...so many more I'm sure. I'll be up all night trying to think of them.

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedstreet View Post
    Originally Posted by Flmlvr
    "I'm going to go ahead and say Carmen Miranda. She was on live television on The Jimmy Durante Show when her heart attack started. If you watch "Bananas Is My Business", check out the last recorded image of Carmen a few hours before she died and tell me if that isn't eerie. It sure is to me."

5:50 into this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Vx3nwPbIM
    This was such a good video Bleed.... You're right it was eerie. It was sad to see her so weak.
    I wanted to see her. I miss her. Thanks for showing it to us HAGS.
    Last edited by Reecy; 06-09-2008 at 05:19 AM.

onekindsistah Guest
    Mark Sandman, Morphine singer, 47, collapsed on stage and died of a heart attack at a concert outside Rome

Captain Kundalini Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Carmen Miranda, Curly from 3 Stooges
    begging your pardon, but Curly had already retired a few years before he died.
    He had a severe stroke on the set of "Half Wits Holiday" which forced him into retirement.

Vidor Guest
    Tim Russert, died today while recording voiceovers for Meet the Press.

Baseball umpire John McSherry died on Opening Day of the 1996 MLB season, seven pitches into the game in Cincinnati.

Chunga Guest
    1. “Dimebag” Darryl Abbot - Murdered December 9, 2004 when an overzealous Pantera fan shot him onstage while he was performing with his new band, Damageplan.
    2. Guiseppe Sinopoli - Died of a heart attack in Berlin while conducting an orchestra in 2001.
    3. Grover Washington, Jr. - Died on the set of “The Saturday Early Show” of a heart attack in 1999.
    4. Mark Sandman - The leadsinger of Morphine had a heart attack and died onstage on July 5, 1999.
    5. Johnny “Guitar” Watson - Had aheart attack onstage in Yokohama in 1996.
    6. Redd Foxx - Suffered a heart attack while filming for his sitcom in 1991.
    7. Steve Irwin - “CrocodileHunter ” who died after getting too close to a stingray while filming in 2006.
    8. Owen Hart - Professional Wrestler who died in a stunt gone wrong in 1999.
    9. Tiny Tim - Had a heart attack and died onstage in Minneapolis in 1996.
    10. Brandon Lee - Died after after a prop gun misfired while filming “The Crow” in 1993.
    11. Jon- Erik Hexum - Died while clowning around on the set of “Cover Up” when he put a prop gun to his head and pulled the trigger.
    12. Vic Morrow - Killed along with two children while filming “The Twilight Zone” move in 1982.
    13. Irene Ryan - The former star of the “Beverly Hillbillies” died of a stroke while giving a theater performance in 1973.
    14. Nelson Eddy - Died of a stroke while on stage in Miami in 1967.
    15. Leonard Warren - Died onstage at the Metroplitan Opera House in 1960.
    16. Tyrone Powers - Died while fencing on the set of his movie “Solomon and Sheba” in 1958.
    17. Johnny Ace - A blues singer who lost a game of Russian Roulette onstage in 1954.
    18. Moliere - The famed French playwrite died onstage while performing

Last edited by Chunga; 06-21-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Chunga Guest

Off topic.........

Celeb suicides!
    1. Jonathan Brandis - Hung himself in 2003, he was 27 years old.
    2. Cheyenne Brando - Hung herself in 1995.
    3. Kurt Cobain - Shot himself in 1994.
    4. Ray Combs - The former Family Feud host hung himself in 1996.
    5. Brad Delp - The lead singer of Boston killed himself by inhaling carbon monoxide
    6. Ed Flanders - Shot himself in 1995.
    7. Ernest Hemingway - Shot himself in 1961.
    8. Margaux Hemmingway - Took her life by overdosing on the anniversary of her grandfather’s suicide in 1996.
    9. Michael Hutchence - Hung himself in 1997.
    10. Brian Keith - The Family Affair actor shot himself in 1997.
    11. Alan Ladd - Killed himself in 1964 after drinking and taking pills.
    12. Richard Manuel - The guitarist for “The Band” hung himself in 1986.
    13. Hugh O’Connor - Shot himself in 1995.
    14. Phil Ochs - Hung himself in 1976.
    15. Rob Pilatus - One half of the lip syncing duo of Milli Vannili overdosed in 1998.
    16. Dana Plato - The troubled Different Strokes actress took an overdose in 1999.
    17. Glenn Quinn - Took a heroin overdose in 2002.
    18. David Rappaport - Shot himself in 1990.
    19. David Scarboro -Jumped to his death in 1988
    20. Del Shannon - Shot himself in 1990.
    21. Hunter S. Thompson - Shot himself in 2005.
    22. Herve Villechaize - Shot himself in 1993.
    23. Wendy O. Williams - Shot herself in 1998.
    24. Gig Young - Shot himself in 1978.

Last edited by Chunga; 06-21-2008 at 06:05 PM.

Guest Guest
    wow chunga .... your efficient

KK Bay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    How could I forget???
    Since you mentioned JFK, here are other US presidents who died in office (though the "celebrity" status of some, I acknowledge, are questionable):

William H. Harrison Gave one of the longest inauguration speeches in history - while it was raining! - caught pneumonia and died 31 days into his presidency.

Zachary Taylor - Died 16 months into his presidency (acute gastroenteritis)

Abraham Lincoln - Assassinated by John Wilkes Booth one month after his second inauguration

James Garfield - Assassinated by Charles Guiteau less than 4 months in office

William McKinley - Assassinated by Leon Czolgosz (actually died from gangrene from the gunshot wounds) in his second term

Warren Harding - Died after 2 years in office (either heart attack or stroke, though some suspect foul play)

FDR - Died of a cerebral hemorrhage while in his 4th (!) term

JFK - Assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald less than 3 years in office
    Last edited by KK Bay; 06-23-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Minor punctuation edit

KK Bay Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    Celeb suicides!
    1. Jonathan Brandis - Hung himself in 2003, he was 27 years old.
    2. Cheyenne Brando - Hung herself in 1995.
    3. Kurt Cobain - Shot himself in 1994.
    4. Ray Combs - The former Family Feud host hung himself in 1996.
    5. Brad Delp - The lead singer of Boston killed himself by inhaling carbon monoxide
    6. Ed Flanders - Shot himself in 1995.
    7. Ernest Hemingway - Shot himself in 1961.
    8. Margaux Hemmingway - Took her life by overdosing on the anniversary of her grandfatherā??s suicide in 1996.
    9. Michael Hutchence - Hung himself in 1997.
    10. Brian Keith - The Family Affair actor shot himself in 1997.
    11. Alan Ladd - Killed himself in 1964 after drinking and taking pills.
    12. Richard Manuel - The guitarist for ā??The Bandā? hung himself in 1986.
    13. Hugh Oā??Connor - Shot himself in 1995.
    14. Phil Ochs - Hung himself in 1976.
    15. Rob Pilatus - One half of the lip syncing duo of Milli Vannili overdosed in 1998.
    16. Dana Plato - The troubled Different Strokes actress took an overdose in 1999.
    17. Glenn Quinn - Took a heroin overdose in 2002.
    18. David Rappaport - Shot himself in 1990.
    19. David Scarboro -Jumped to his death in 1988
    20. Del Shannon - Shot himself in 1990.
    21. Hunter S. Thompson - Shot himself in 2005.
    22. Herve Villechaize - Shot himself in 1993.
    23. Wendy O. Williams - Shot herself in 1998.
    24. Gig Young - Shot himself in 1978.

Don't forget Justin Pierce, who played Casper in Kids (1995)...he hung himself at The Bellagio in Las Vegas in 2000.

KK Bay Guest

Great White

Has anyone mentioned Great White guitarist Ty Longley, who died (along with 99 other poor souls) in that nightclub fire in Rhode Island a few years back?

KK Bay Guest
    A few others came to mind, including some sports-related ones:

Bill Graham - Well-known Bay Area concert promoter whose helicopter crashed near Sears Point (now Infineon) Raceway on the way home from a Huey Lewis benefit concert for victims of the 1991 Oakland fire.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines, backup singer Cassie Gaines and 3 others died in 1977 when their chartered plane crashed in Mississippi.

Hank Gathers - Loyola Marymount University basketball standout who collapsed and died from a heart condition during a conference semifinal game in 1990 (pictured here)

Darryl Kile (MLB pitcher, Cardinals) - While not technically working, the 3-time All-Star was on the road in Chicago when he died in his hotel room from coronary disease.

Payne Stewart - PGA golfer whose private Learjet suddenly depressurized, killing all 6 on board by way of hypoxia, en route to The Tour Championship in 1999. Though the plane was going from Orlando to Dallas, it remained airborne for almost 4 hours (it's autopilot was engaged) until it ran out of fuel and crashed near Mina, South Dakota.

Duk-Koo Kim - South Korean boxer who fell into a coma after going 14 rounds with Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and died 5 days later, in 1982. Sadly, Kim's mother commited suicide shortly thereafter, as did the referee of the match.

Find A Death Fan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    Bruce Lee died when Game Of Death was being filmed, not during filming. His fight scene footage, that he completed, is in the movie. The story was changed around to include the main character's staged death... And, Lee's actual funeral and casket are in the movie. Kind of creepy.

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/04/16/...vie-ever-made/
    That's true, he was about to resume filming at the time of his death, a lot of people seem to think that Game of Death was completed before he passed away though. Bruce Lee died in the apartment of his rumored (most likely true) mistress, Betty Ting Pei. He never got to complete Game of Death.
    Last edited by Find A Death Fan; 06-27-2008 at 11:47 AM.

John carpenter Guest

My sister sam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200px-Rebecca_schaeffer_closeup.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	14007

Name:	180px-Robert_John_Bardo-Police_photo.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	14008Rebecca Shaeffer (My Sister Sam) Killed by A Stalker..Robert Bardo!

ChargerBill Guest

Tyrone Power

Tyrone Power died of a heart attack on the set of Solomon and Sheba.

Heath Ledger died during the filming of The Imaginarum of Dr. Parnassus... it has thankfully been finished with other actors including Johnny depp and Jude Law stepping in.. cannot wait to see it - although it will be sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Oh and didnĀ“t Raul Julia die during shooting of The Burning Season?? or at least very shortly after..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

MmmRavioli Guest
    Good topic.

Diana Hyland died while working on Eight Is Enough, in March 1977. She had cancer. I don't think she even filmed a full season as the mother of the family. They decided to kill off her character and bring in Betty Buckley as the stepmother. Kind of a weird idea, since Diana hadn't really been engrained as that character. I don't see why they couldn't have re-cast another blonde actress as the mother.

Vic Morrow died during Twilight Zone: The Movie in July 1982. He was beheaded by helicopter during a scene in which he was supposed to scoop up a couple of children and run with them. The children died also.
    You can actually see footage of the accident on YouTube. Look it up under "Twilight Zone Accident." I can't bring myself to post it, but if you're so inclined to look it up yourself, then you can't blame me. lol You don't see anything gross, but let me put it this way - I'm amazed he was only cut into TWO parts. It's one of the most disturbing and sobering videos I've seen.

monroe27 Guest
    Aaliyah died while filming "Queen of The Damned".

james1977 Guest

Scum Bag Bardo

Quote Originally Posted by John carpenter View Post

Name:	200px-Rebecca_schaeffer_closeup.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	14007

Name:	180px-Robert_John_Bardo-Police_photo.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	14008Rebecca Shaeffer (My Sister Sam) Killed by A Stalker..Robert Bardo!
    It was terrible having a great gal like Rebecca being killed by this weirdo.What stalkers need is someone to explain the facts to them.But some still don't get it.Romance is the biggest delusion there ever was.Even married people have the romance thing fouled up.I'm no king of romance either.I'm divorced.Most of us are.I know when women are out of my league.
    What a loser.This dude still ticks me off.What did this fool expect.Her to marry him?. I met 4 of The Playmates from Playboy at Santa Anita Race Track.I knew they were way out of my league.They signed their photos and it was great.I was realistic.And they were are all great gals.But there was no way they were going to be with me.I knew this.This Bardo is a fool.He should of realized there was no way he would have a chance with Rebecca.Who the hell did he think he was Scott Baio?.Look at him? What a damn fool.Hope he dies soon in prison.
    Last edited by james1977; 05-06-2009 at 03:41 AM.

angelo's ghost Guest
    Alice Pearce and Marion Lorne from Bewitched
    William Frawley while on My Three Sons
    The guy who played Karen and Sid's oldest son on Knots Landing and also the guy who played Frank
    On the first season of Phyllis there was a female co-worker of Phyllis' that got murdered in real life,I think her first name was Barbara. Also on the last season Judith Lowry and Burt Mustin died

Roaming Tigress Guest
    George Cleveland (Lassie's George Miller)

DeadRinger Guest
    Hmm - no one has yet mentioned John Ritter on the set of 8 Simple Rules....

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Heath Ledger died during the filming of The Imaginarum of Dr. Parnassus... it has thankfully been finished with other actors including Johnny depp and Jude Law stepping in.. cannot wait to see it - although it will be sad

I've just read the first review of this on the Aint-It-Cool website. And it's supposed to be brilliant. This and Bruno are the movies I'm looking forward too this summer.

Snoopy Guest
    The guy who played Brooke Sheilds coworker in Suddenly Susan..hung himself..his name escapes me!

Snoopy Guest
    Phil Hartman was killed when he was on NewsRadio..think that was the name of the show!