Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bring on the pork rinds - Fattest U.S. State

Goldy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataroo View Post
    If you ever come to Pensacola, you MUST go to the Fish House and have the Grits A Ya Ya! Grits made with smoked Gouda cheese, topped with shrimp in a sauce made of bacon, garlic, shallots, butter, white wine, sliced Portobello mushrooms, scallions, spinach, and heavy cream! It is TO DIE FOR!!!
    Oooo that looks good!! A sadly now defunct local eatery used to make a cheese grits & shrimp dish similar to that. So good! I'll check it out next time I'm down that way.

Goldy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    I was so interested in coming down South the food sounded yummy, then I read your comment about okra being a long slimy booger. lol....
    Don't let that put you off. Every cuisine has it's achilles heel, I suppose. Everything else is outstanding, including the hospitality!

Hobbes12 Guest
    What about Oregon???

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldy View Post
    Oooo that looks good!! A sadly now defunct local eatery used to make a cheese grits & shrimp dish similar to that. So good! I'll check it out next time I'm down that way.
    You will SOOOOOO not be disappointed! It's almost like "food sex" -- it's THAT good!!!

TRUST ME!

Thanks all...That was enlightening.

2Dogs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Is it because of the weather? I know it gets pretty hot down there. Maybe people are discouraged from going outside for a walk...
    Oh, we walk, but usually it's with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other!!!
    lol. And don't forget that a pitcher of iced tea automatically comes with a minimum of 2 cups of sugar.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Don't let that put you off. Every cuisine has it's achilles heel, I suppose. Everything else is outstanding, including the hospitality!
    Thanks Goldy!
    I have always heard that the Southern Hospitality was the best. I will get there one day.

ChargerBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    i just have to say, us mexicans can dig on some pork rinds too - don't forget the lime and chile...
    Chicharrones....que sabrosos!

sammimom Guest
    Ok, you guys have made me hungry!!

Yes, you are!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Vi View Post
    Of course, she means that in the niceest possible way

Hahaha you guys crack me up . I don't think I've ever seen Okra before.

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    The food is good--actually most of it is GREAT!! But we can't get any decent pizza
    That would drive me mad! So if I move down South I should open up a Northern pizza place?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

ZoeAnne Guest
    Place up here is trying........they batter and deep fry, a fried, (stuffed, if you like) burger.....tried to find a pic, but they don't have it on their online menu Maybe its illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoeAnne View Post
    Place up here is trying........they batter and deep fry, a fried, (stuffed, if you like) burger.....tried to find a pic, but they don't have it on their online menu Maybe its illegal?

Is that that Counter something place in Blue Back Square?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

ZoeAnne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Is that that Counter something place in Blue Back Square?
    Old Tymes....Norwich.....I wanna try to make them at home......I prefer to be at home when I cover myself with cheezy grease

We drove through MS once and I told my husband that when he dies I'm going to take the life insurance money and buy a house in Hattiesburg. We ate breakfast at a diner in Laurel, I think that's what it was called. Mississippi is some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. Now if the ole man would just hurry up and kick the bucket......

I was raised on fried okra. My father was an Okie. I love, love , love it. Nobody I know out here in California even knows what it is or has had it. For me it's a real treat when I get some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

An update...

We went to Johnnie's Thursday night, and the damn thing was closed the week of the 4th. I'm hoping he'll take me tonight. Hell, he'll take me anywhere as long as we go in the jeep! Won't you, Sweetie?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

ZoeAnne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    An update...

We went to Johnnie's Thursday night, and the damn thing was closed the week of the 4th. I'm hoping he'll take me tonight. Hell, he'll take me anywhere as long as we go in the jeep! Won't you, Sweetie?

Sounds like you got to the red velvet cake first.....

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Though I've never spent a single day in the south, I absolutely love grits.
    They are best smothered in butter or salsa. Mmmm Mmmmmm GOOD!
    ---
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TallulahDahling Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    That would drive me mad! So if I move down South I should open up a Northern pizza place?
    You would make a FORTUNE dahling! Once these people tasted the real basil in the sauce, the elasticity of hand-thrown dough, and the freshest of toppings and cheeses--well, they'd gain another 300 pounds!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    An update...

Well did he take you lastnight?

Oooh-weee! You have given me a new quest.
    If you ever come to Pensacola, you MUST go to the Fish House and have the Grits A Ya Ya! Grits made with smoked Gouda cheese, topped with shrimp in a sauce made of bacon, garlic, shallots, butter, white wine, sliced Portobello mushrooms, scallions, spinach, and heavy cream! It is TO DIE FOR!!!

TallulahDahling Guest
    KCBeee--that dish would make you shed your panties, dahling!

don't_axe_me Guest

I'm helping Michigan catch up! Here's what I had for my birthday lunch today...only the concrete mixer was chocolate with chunks of brownie dough!

sammimom Guest
    I'll take a DQ waffle bowl sundae, any day of the week.

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerBill View Post
    Chicharrones....que sabrosos!
    Add some fried yucca and you have one tasty meal.

Goldy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
    Add some fried yucca and you have one tasty meal.
    Fried yucca?? Like the pointy lawn plant yucca? You can eat that? Explain, please....

StarKist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    I just love the thread title........
    I was thinking the same thing. Sounds more appetizing and less fattening if you call them chicarones, and are best eaten with hot sauce and lime.

Fujicakes Guest
    Fried yucca?? Like the pointy lawn plant yucca? You can eat that? Explain, please....
    Sorry I spelled it wrong. It's yuca in Spanish. In English it's cassava.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava

Cheese Curds?? Can someone explain?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    You would make a FORTUNE dahling! Once these people tasted the real basil in the sauce, the elasticity of hand-thrown dough, and the freshest of toppings and cheeses--well, they'd gain another 300 pounds!

Mmmmm pizza. I do make a kick ass red sauce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

don't_axe_me Guest
    Cheese curds...think fried mozzarella sticks, only using cheddar and made into bite-sized nuggets.....mmmmmmm

32. 07-09-2009, 10:58 AM

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    I read that earlier and that Alabama is moving up the list. My oldest sister the only obese person in the family lives in Alabama. If it weren't for the snow I would move to Colorado but I like keeping the average down in Ohio while Michigan climbs that list.
    Thanks Tar

StarKist Guest
    According to a website I found the U.S ranks 9th in a list of the world's top 20 fattest countries.

http://www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/obesity.html

Interestingly the UK is listed as the "heart attack" capital.

bigdog Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post

I'm helping Michigan catch up! Here's what I had for my birthday lunch today...only the concrete mixer was chocolate with chunks of brownie dough!

Butter burger...yummm! And their frozen custard is to die for! Think I'll go get one right now!

Don't shove, there's plenty for everyone!

Huh. I pay like $5 for a pack of 6-7 okra pods. Eat it raw all the time! Here folks love that slimy, phlegm-like consistency, and regularly pair it with other similarly slimy foods to create neba-neba side dishes. As you do.

What's that? You need piccies to help you understand? Hokay!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa