Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Diego Plane Crash: PSA Flight 182

Northern Lights Guest
    I want to see the extreme pics, too.

Northern Lights Guest
    Some pictures, but these are screencaptures of the Faces Of Death video (I watched it again to make it sure). So everyone who watched it knows what to expect. Warning for those who didn't watch that video: Pieces of the bodies on the ground, and large chunk of meat. It used to be a human being

http://picasaweb.google.com/edhill29...2Boeing727214#

Northern Lights Guest
    "Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 182 collided with a private plane while approaching the San Diego, California airport on September 25, 1978. I recount the effect on my family in the days and weeks following that event."

A Brother Lost: PSA Flight 182
    By Nick Molinaro
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/22163084/A...PSA-Flight-182

Just fell in the rabbit hole with the links on this thread! I lost 3 hours, and cannot wait to get back to it lately. But I am afraid the "Superman" description will give me nightmares. However, that is the price a truly devoted hag may have to pay!

Bleedstreet Guest
    Found this site on the History of PSA and it has a page dedicated to the PSA peeps who died on that flight

http://www.psa-history.org/museum/crash.htm

toten44 Guest

Unhappy Psa 182

Hi all, After the crash of PSA they only found three "whole bodies". The rest were mangled.The total body parts recovered was more than 10,000 Horrible day for all.

Anyone interested in this crash will find this very interesting. Near the end of the interview she gets into some quasi-supernatural stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvgp7SP100A

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Sorry to bump this thread but I just learned about this crash- on my way to the airport no less! How horrific. On a side note, I will never watch Faces of Death, not because of the people because i can handle that, but because of the animals. NO WAY.

I remember this vividly, i was in the Navy at the time stationed at 32nd street which isn't very far from North Park, i was up on the deck of my ship as the crash happened, you couldn't hear the planes collide but we could see it, we just stood there in disbelief watching the plane go down in flames, when it hit it felt like an atom bomb, everything shook. A couple of guys and i had an apartment on Wabash ave not far from the crash site and were not allowed in the area for a few days. Lindbergh field is a real whiteknuckle airport to land at anyway but thats another story.
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MorbidChrissy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtwin View Post
    I remember this vividly, i was in the Navy at the time stationed at 32nd street which isn't very far from North Park, i was up on the deck of my ship as the crash happened, you couldn't hear the planes collide but we could see it, we just stood there in disbelief watching the plane go down in flames, when it hit it felt like an atom bomb, everything shook. A couple of guys and i had an apartment on Wabash ave not far from the crash site and were not allowed in the area for a few days. Lindbergh field is a real whiteknuckle airport to land at anyway but thats another story.
    Wow, I can't imagine how you felt. I have dreams of witnessing plane crashes, but I have no idea how I would react if it happened in real life.

Wow, you were right in the thick of it. I lived in Clairemont and saw the smoke from my house. It was my first day of college, I remember how sunny and warm that day was. That plane crash really got into my head.

qulevergrrl Guest
    I'm from a small town, and I was around ten at the time this happened. I was very close to an aunt who lived in San Diego at the time. Being from a small town, I thought of things in those terms; although, I realized that San Diego was much larger. When the crash occurred, and we heard how many homes were destroyed, I was terrified that my aunt and my cousins were possibly involved. They showed it all day on television, at least in California they did. It was really terrible. My husband is a pilot, so he has studied all of the biggies. He remembers this one as the "I love you ma," crash. How aweful is that. Then there is a NYC crash he remembers as the, "power, power, power," one. Then the Iowa crash where many more survived than people thought imaginable is the, "up up up" one. I just think it would be tragic to remember crashes in terms of the last words of the crew, but that's just his way. We've lost friends, because it is a dangerous job...flight instruction. I told him to never tell me their last words. I don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Wow, you were right in the thick of it. I lived in Clairemont and saw the smoke from my house. It was my first day of college, I remember how sunny and warm that day was. That plane crash really got into my head.
    Clairemont is a good hike from North Park but then again you could see the smoke for miles, yea it was fucking hot that day, i haven't thought about this for a long time but when i saw this thread it all came rushing back, i remember how cute the planes looked with those big smiles on the front, PSA was huge in those days, flew them myself quite a few times. Right after this happened they wiped the smiles off the planes but PSA never recovered.

On a lighter note, They were a fun Airline to fly...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSA_06-_00141.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	39960
    Last edited by Vtwin; 11-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Deathgoddess Guest
    I was looking through these pictures and some of the comments people left. On one of the comments it says " I hope they rest in piece", that struck me as funny since they are mostly all in pieces. Another one alluded to the possibility of a haunted neighborhood where this happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    I was looking through these pictures and some of the comments people left. On one of the comments it says " I hope they rest in piece", that struck me as funny since they are mostly all in pieces. Another one alluded to the possibility of a haunted neighborhood where this happened.
    There is more information about the haunted neighborhood somewhere in this thread. Also AA Flight 191 is another one where the neighborhood claims the area is haunted and people have seen smoldering apparitions asking for directions to the next terminal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Eerie

I lived in San Diego on September 25, 1978 when PSA 182 crashed at 9:02AM.

I also lived in Oklahoma when the Murrah Bombing occurred on April 15, 1995, at 9:02AM.

Incredible.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Clairemont is a good hike from North Park but then again you could see the smoke for miles, yea it was fucking hot that day, i haven't thought about this for a long time but when i saw this thread it all came rushing back, i remember how cute the planes looked with those big smiles on the front, PSA was huge in those days, flew them myself quite a few times. Right after this happened they wiped the smiles off the planes but PSA never recovered.
    I love PSA, I also flew them when I could. It was a sad day when they merged with USAir (thus eliminating the PSA brand name). Dang, most of the airlines I used to fly in the 70's and 80's are gone: PSA, Western, Muse Air, America West. Of course, the airline that I flew the most (and still do) is Southwest. I miss their cheesy plastic boarding passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    On one of the comments it says " I hope they rest in piece", that struck me as funny since they are mostly all in pieces.
    Sick Joke Alert!

One of the sick (and, I must admit, humorous) definitions of PSA was "People Scattered Around".

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Can anyone post the faces of death screen caps?

This is one of the many reasons I will never, ever fly. EVER.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Also. Does anyone have links to news reports from that day on YT? I would especially like to hear the account of the woman who's windsheild was smashed out by a dead body.

Has anyone seen "The Return to Dwight and Nile"? This is a documentary about the crash and it can supposedly be rented on Amazon.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Has anyone seen "The Return to Dwight and Nile"? This is a documentary about the crash and it can supposedly be rented on Amazon.
    I haven't yet but I return to Dwight and Nile about once every two weeks because my father in law lives a couple of blocks up the street and we have to go though that intersection to get there. I keep meaning to take a photo of how it looks today but keep forgetting the camera.

I found this. Pretty sad, and very interesting read. It's a blog post from the brother of one of the victims of the crash. Sam Molinaro.

http://www.nmolinaropost.com/storiesNick/sam1.html

Oh, golly.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I've also had the displeasure of coming across one of the gory body pics from the accident. But, I'm not going to post it here because I may not sleep tonight....and if I posted it here. Neither would anyone else.

This person claims to be 'Superman's' kid.

Read that thread. It's interesting.

http://f2bbs.com/bbs/show_topic/509813

I live in Pacific Beach, I go through North park all the time and did not know about this, will have to go back and find the spot. I have looked up Dwight and Nile and Dwight and boulvard as two reports said that is where it happened, but I cannot find Dwight street unless they changed the street name.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Can you imagine ??? Wonder if anyone turned their cell on and snapped a pic ???
    um I think in 1978 they didn't have cell phones...

PKTracy,

Dwight and Nile is just off the 805 (to the west of it). I included a picture to show where it hit. See the Dwight and Nile intersection, the nose of the plane hit that on the north east portion of the corner where that grove of trees is. If you drive through the intersection heading north on Nile you will see the house that is there now is very modern for the neighborhood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSA 182.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	47264  

Thank you Paulination.

For some reason I was thinking of this thread this morning when I woke up. I have no idea why. It's been some fascinating and of course morbid reading over the years- thank you all for posting! I was born in San Diego but we moved when I was still a baby. That's my only link to the place. I was mostly thinking of the awful chain of events which led to so much horror, beginning with the little plane being unseen by the commercial one. It's clear that most if not all of the people on the PSA flight had plenty of time to consider what was happening to them, and that's so horrifying.

Some of the obsession with plane crashes comes from the Pan Am flight. I knew a couple of the Syracuse students, as I had graduated the year before and had been on their program abroad (in Madrid) the year before. I would have known a lot of students on the same flight the year before, as I had a few friends who went to London at the same time. Since that plane exploded in the air, I take comfort in the idea that most of those people didn't have time to know what was happening.

PSA, though, pretty awful. And fascinating in that there are plenty of eyewitnesses and photographic records.

I always heard of the man that launched from the tail section of the plane still alive. People that witnessed him said he had his arms out in a Superman-like pose and let out a high pitched wailing sound before hitting a parked car with a woman and child inside it.

I'd never heard of this one before. OMFG wow. Just wow. I don't need to see pictures.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I found some footage online. Body parts everywhere. It was scary.

I remember seeing a video a while back showing firefighters and paramedics going around and covering all the bodies.

The Screaming Superman as I mentioned above is shown. Lets just say the impact with the car headfirst...it wasn't pretty.

Here's the link to that picture I mentioned a while back. DO NOT LOOK UNLESS YOU CAN TAKE A 10 ON THE GORE SCALE. *sorry for all caps...but, it was needed in this case*

http://www.deep-six.com/deathweb/page218.htm
    Last edited by cindyt; 09-25-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Corrected link

reving19 Guest
    I am going to visit San Diego in a couple of weeks and plan to visit Dwight and Nile. I was around when this happened, but somehow missed it on the news (I remember the Chicago crash with the DC-10, but not this one).

I don't have a personal connection to the crash; however, I spoke about it in a class while I was in college. The final words of one of the pilots was "Ma, I love ya". When I read that in class, there were a few gasps. The transcript does not identify who said it, but I have wondered if they do know who said it, but just never released that info to the public. I have heard from soldiers that when a grown man starts calling out to or for their mothers, that you know it is bad. That is one aspect that no one seems to want to investigate...who said it and how did the mother react to that? I think it would give comfort to whoever the mother was that their son was thinking of them when they died.

Anyway, I'll take some pics and post them to show how the site looks today.

There isn't much there; just a memorial plaque.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Quote Originally Posted by duchessmary View Post
    There isn't much there; just a memorial plaque.
    Is there a plaque there? The only one I've seen is at the North Park Library a couple of miles away.

Leopard-y Guest
    Found this in the garage recently while cleaning. San Diego is my home town and my mom saved the paper when this happened.

Name:	20130914_134638.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	48146

Name:	20130914_134811.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	48147

Would love to have copies of that paper Leopard, nice find.

Great find!!!

I swear. I've never even been to CA. But, I'm still obsessed with this crash. It's just too crazy. Who would think about a plane going right down in a neighborhood.

It's a day us San Diegans will never forget. *shudder*
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I remember that newspaper issue like it was yesterday. I'm sure my folks have a copy stashed away. PSA 182 turned me into a plane crash hag.

reving19 Guest
    As promised, here are the photos of Dwight and Nile as it looks today.

DSC00450 - The stop sign.

DSC00457 - Impact was on the house on the right. The plane wreckage hit houses behind it and ones on the left, except I believe the very first house on the left was spared. It is a good reference point for those looking for houses that look older than some of the others, which were burned in the crash.

DSC00453 - I have read on other forums that a lot of bodies were either piled up or hit this wall on Boundary.

PSA 182 today - My own attempt in Photoshop to give an aerial perspective of the crash site then and now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00450.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	48218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00457.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	48219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00453.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	48220   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSA182thenNow.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	48221  

I wonder if there have been any reports of hauntings at the crash site.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by reving19 View Post
    As promised, here are the photos of Dwight and Nile as it looks today.

DSC00450 - The stop sign.

DSC00457 - Impact was on the house on the right. The plane wreckage hit houses behind it and ones on the left, except I believe the very first house on the left was spared. It is a good reference point for those looking for houses that look older than some of the others, which were burned in the crash.

DSC00453 - I have read on other forums that a lot of bodies were either piled up or hit this wall on Boundary.

PSA 182 today - My own attempt in Photoshop to give an aerial perspective of the crash site then and now.
    Thanks for posting the pictures! I'm always interested in seeing what a place looks like years after a tragedy.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fishhead View Post
    Here's the link to that picture I mentioned a while back. DO NOT LOOK UNLESS YOU CAN TAKE A 10 ON THE GORE SCALE. *sorry for all caps...but, it was needed in this case*
    http://www.deep-six.com/deathweb/page218.htm
    Well, it is nice to see that the GORE scale is still alive - now I know that I will leave a legacy.
    Last edited by cindyt; 09-25-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Corrected link

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I wonder if there have been any reports of hauntings at the crash site.
    Ooooh. I do too!!!

I know the Chicago crash in 79 had hauntings. I keep asking my mom if she saw a ghost when she was at O'Hare in 84. LOL.

Oh, and in those pics that reving posted. You can see red at the bottom of the wall! It's faint but....I call blood stains!!!

And, crap! That link to the gorey pic don't work anymore. Someone bought out Deep-Six.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 09-20-2013 at 04:12 PM.